Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Biplane posted:

I will not

Don't read it on your own time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

McSpanky posted:

Read this post and find the logical inconsistency:

You can't, because there isn't any.
What's an atlantis standard clock or watch look like

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just finished season 2 of Atlantis. And I have to say I am not impressed. Thank god the Daedalus showed up, because these idiots were doomed on their own. I hate McKay. Weir's kind of an idiot too. Shepard is OK. I'd trust Zelenka more than anyone else.

Two seasons in and the show has barely touched two subjects I'd love to see more of: The city itself.

And Tayla's people who live on a mainland. What are they up to? Also, I wish more immigrants lived in Atlantis.

Like that's an ongoing plot, Atlantis getting bigger and bigger. They save Planet Y from the Wraith, and those people come back and live in Atlantis wing 2, section 3, sector 4.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If a Mogwai was eating a sandwich at 11AM while walking through the Stargate to a world where it was already 1AM by that planet's time and finished the sandwich on the other side of the gate, would they become a Gremlin?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

So at that stage is he... a contractor? Mercenary? Is he directly employed by the air force or the DOD? What shows on his pay stubs?

Contractor. Definitely a contractor. Everyone in government is a contractor now, DoD or otherwise. Same low pay, none of the fancy benefits to make up for it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

If a Mogwai was eating a sandwich at 11AM while walking through the Stargate to a world where it was already 1AM by that planet's time and finished the sandwich on the other side of the gate, would they become a Gremlin?

I'd guess Gremlin rules are dictated by the local star.

Good experiment.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FFT posted:

It don't matter, none-a dis matters

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Helpful tip from HGTV: For food safety reasons, it's recommended that most refrigerated leftovers be thrown out after three days. Want those holiday leftovers to last longer? Just use a Stargate to travel to another world where days are longer. For a more long-term solution? Think about gating your leftovers to a planet being affected by the time dilation effects of a black hole.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Just put em in stasis, they'll be good for centuries!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
SG-1 and the likes have really looted the galaxy of Ancient artifacts. In a few hundred thousand years some future generation of explorers will have nothing left to find but stasis chambers of pumpkin pies and pizzas.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The final mission of the Stargate program will be to hide all their found and created galaxy-altering discoveries all over the universe and hire a bunch of creative writing majors to leave all sorts of clues on where they can be found in the far future.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FFT posted:

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 5, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

And we're synching the C4 to blow...............

now

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FFT posted:

That's why you standardize to the planet, it makes no sense to "standardize" to a different planet and then also have more hours in a day.

A Bajoran day might be ~26 standard hours, but a Bajoran day isn't 26 standard Bajoran hours.

Also there's the whole "24 hours is useful because it can be divided cleanly a whole bunch of ways" aspect.

Actually it is. On DS9 they explicitly mention bajor has a 26 hour rotation and they standardise to a 26:00 clock. Odo explicitly says "at 25 hundred hours last night" lmao

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/280522/in-ds9-is-the-25th-hour-ever-explicitly-mentioned

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 5, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Or should I say:

:boom:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How many Earth made ships got blown up? Feels like a lot, like Earth ships got the poo poo kicked out of them pretty much every time.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

alexandriao posted:

Actually it is. On DS9 they explicitly mention bajor has a 26 hour rotation and they standardise to a 26:00 clock. Odo explicitly says "at 25 hundred hours last night" lmao

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/280522/in-ds9-is-the-25th-hour-ever-explicitly-mentioned
Okay, fine, DS9 is even dumber about it than SG:A. You win.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tell me you don't get excited by the phrase:

Unscheduled Off World Activation

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

redshirt posted:

Tell me you don't get excited by the phrase:

Unscheduled Off World Activation

My phone alarm for a while lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hammond of Texas

*Does hand over head motion

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Armacham posted:

My phone alarm for a while lol

Close the Iris! as snooze

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

As a late game Goa'uld Nerus is so good. "Oh, we don't have to talk like that" [Daniel's head explodes]

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

EvilHawk posted:

As a late game Goa'uld Nerus is so good. "Oh, we don't have to talk like that" [Daniel's head explodes]

I would watch a season of "Nerus reacts to perfectly mundane Earth poo poo and is floored" I think you'd run out of jokes after like 8-10 eps but man what a mini series that'd be.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

I would watch a season of "Nerus reacts to perfectly mundane Earth poo poo and is floored" I think you'd run out of jokes after like 8-10 eps but man what a mini series that'd be.

Imagine Nerus at an all you can eat Chinese breakfast buffet

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Individually-wrapped cakes! :aaa:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I wonder if Ba'al would be so easily impressed with an all you can eat buffet

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Jaffa politics are the worst part of the last two seasons. I get what they're trying to portray, but it's so loving dull and full of unlikeable (even for being evil) characters.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Jaffa politics are the worst part of the last two seasons. I get what they're trying to portray, but it's so loving dull and full of unlikeable (even for being evil) characters.

I never thought of the Free Jaffa as evil. Dumb? Yes...

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Gerak was like lawful evil before the Ori. Dude just wanted the system lord government with Jaffa in charge.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Yeah I mean Gerak, I guess he's not evil pre-Ori but he's clearly set up to be the "villain" in Jaffa politics and it's so dull.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Gerak was like lawful evil before the Ori. Dude just wanted the system lord government with Jaffa in charge.

Can you completely blame him? If my people had been enslaved for 10000 years I'd tend to trust my own people over any outsiders.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Yeah I think the key is that he is seeing the hero worship of the Tau'ri as liberators and having flashbacks to the Goa'uld worship and worrying that they may have won their freedom, only for EarthGov to slip in and bind them once again.

The thing is, it's not a completely unwarranted suspicion. By the late seasons we have a handle on the Tau'ri as not wanting to bother governing a foreign interstellar empire, but like, at the same time, historically...

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

redshirt posted:

Can you completely blame him? If my people had been enslaved for 10000 years I'd tend to trust my own people over any outsiders.

Setting up a government based on the strongest potential warlords is a pretty good way to get civil war and the same problems they already had under the guaold. I can understand being wary of going full democracy because outsiders but did is setting up to be a tyrant

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also worth noting that republics were an ancient idea but it took about 800 years between conception and the first successful and stable republic.

The Goa'uld are pre-republic, and the Jaffar have only ever seen Feifdoms. So like obviously they are going to hold Qualms about some aliens coming up and being like "oh Interstellar Feudelism is so gauche!! Here try our Democracy(tm). Oh also we dont have Any hidden motives here AT ALL, I PROMISE"

It's like some Aliens coming to Earth and going "Oh try Communism!!! Never mind that every example you've seen has immediately fallen into totalitarianism and hero worship, neoliberalism is just so gaudy!! Also we don't have any hidden agendas here we just want what's best :')". Like... i don't think anyone would believe them lmao

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 8, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

alexandriao posted:

Yeah I think the key is that he is seeing the hero worship of the Tau'ri as liberators and having flashbacks to the Goa'uld worship and worrying that they may have won their freedom, only for EarthGov to slip in and bind them once again.

The thing is, it's not a completely unwarranted suspicion. By the late seasons we have a handle on the Tau'ri as not wanting to bother governing a foreign interstellar empire, but like, at the same time, historically...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The same Tauri government that has NID stealing treasured technologies?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

alexandriao posted:

The Goa'uld are pre-republic, and the Jaffar have only ever seen Feifdoms. So like obviously they are going to hold Qualms about some aliens coming up and being like "oh Interstellar Feudelism is so gauche!! Here try our Democracy(tm). Oh also we dont have Any hidden motives here AT ALL, I PROMISE"

I don't think Jaffar even had one Feifdom tbh

Edit: He might've been one of Apophis' Jaffa though, given his snakehead staff

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 8, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Nah, exiled minor Goa'uld Thu'ban.

Arabian Nights, not Egyptian Nights!

stringless fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 8, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

alexandriao posted:

Though that said, the show does make a constant point about how the Jaffa as a society are very tradition-driven and conservative, so it'd make sense that they wouldn't just "be liberated" for democracy, freedom and rings of jell-o over-night. The over-all stupidity of the Ori plot takes over the jaffa politics plot, however, so it's a bit of a moot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Though that said, the show does make a constant point about how the Jaffa as a society are very tradition-driven and conservative, so it'd make sense that they wouldn't just "be liberated" for democracy, freedom and rings of jell-o over-night. The over-all stupidity of the Ori plot takes over the jaffa politics plot, however, so it's a bit of a moot point.

I would have so much preferred a Jaffa focused end of the show, with Jaffa alliances and politics and leaders. These are the heroes of the show, let's see their messy liberation.