Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Whats the best way to farm forgotten souls? Just open chests in HTs? Am I boning myself if I only go after living steels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I open only living steel chests and got more fs’s than anyone needs

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Yea Mystery or Living Steel Chests, the boss guys that drop in the meteor showers and keeping an eye out for the Screaming Hell Veins

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have 3 level 70ish characters and I think that my least favorite thing about itemization is the normal/sacred/ancestral divisions. II don't understand the purpose behind it. It makes sense to have a higher tier of gear at the very tippy top, like in D3, but the current divisions make the whole WT3 part of the game pointless. That sacreds continue to drop in WT4 is even worse, I thought they were auto-salvaging that crap once you got to the next WT.

I think the gear drops should simply scale with your level, I also don't like that I can get 925 gear from world bosses at level 70 because it removes some of the gear chase and makes drops in dungeons and the open world pointless.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 8, 2023

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

zoux posted:

I have 3 level 70ish characters and I think that my least favorite thing about itemization is the normal/sacred/ancestral divisions. II don't understand the purpose behind it. It makes sense to have a higher tier of gear at the very tippy top, like in D3, but the current divisions make the whole WT3 part of the game pointless. That sacreds continue to drop in WT4 is even worse, I thought they were auto-salvaging that crap once you got to the next WT.

I think the gear drops should simply scale with your level, I also don't like that I can get 925 gear from world bosses at level 70 because it removes some of the gear chase and makes drops in dungeons and the open world pointless.

its very much the normal/exceptional/elite where it impacts the mod rolls that can occur, and they can scale within that tier based on ilvl.
unlike d2 they aren't different models or named differently however

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
Whenever the World bosses spaen, the servers lag, Ive only noticed after the patch yesterday

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I’ve seen the boss lag 3-4 times since the season started.

Also finally got to see some of the barb magic - boss spawned and was dead instantly.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t really get the cosmetic/transmog stuff in this game since I have no idea what my character looks like other than brief glimpses in the load screen, and even less what anyone else’s character looks like. It seemed way more visible in D2/D3

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Speked posted:

Whenever the World bosses spaen, the servers lag, Ive only noticed after the patch yesterday

I've gotten huge lag spikes at the beginning of world bosses since the game started. Same with legions but all that might be on my end.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
This season I have had a fair few issues with the game hard-freezing when I approach a world boss's spawn and the other players surrounding it. Once it has spawned I tend to get the aforementioned lag spikes as well, though at higher levels the boss tends to be pretty much dead by the time they have subsided. :v:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

I could have thought of a few more least favourite things...right until I came across this fucker at level 89 in a random helltide chest I opened to get rid of some leftover cinders:

Weirdly it was a 75-cost gloves chest, so apparently they can drop uniques.

The actual worst thing is the new barb ring that does nothing for double-swing. I have 3 of them.

The best thing is vamp powers that turn movement speed into attack speed, has evading vulnerable-ise stuff, and makes this build possible.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jelly posted:

This is right up Blizzard's alley for intentionally withheld QOL carrot dangling for future patch-ins.

Yup, already confirmed to be in the works

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh you're right, I totally forgot about that.

I still think it was incompetence and not malice, though.

During development they were trying hard to court the people who hated D3. At one point they were talking about respecs being so expensive that you'd be better off rolling a new character. That stance mellowed before launch and they're gradually making it easier

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Nobody in the entire games industry is intentionally making their game worse so that they can entice users in with a patch fix later.

The game doesn't have spec swapping because it's a complex feature and it was not considered a top priority with the time they had before they needed to ship, we don't need a conspiracy theory to explain this.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Cerepol posted:

its very much the normal/exceptional/elite where it impacts the mod rolls that can occur, and they can scale within that tier based on ilvl.
unlike d2 they aren't different models or named differently however

I know it's a dead horse but that's another thing about d2 itemization that is just much better. All these items in d4 are just so samey. I never care about the item name or model. Plus I'm an old that actually likes inventory Tetris.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kaddish posted:

I’ve seen the boss lag 3-4 times since the season started.

Also finally got to see some of the barb magic - boss spawned and was dead instantly.

Last one I did had 5-second long lag times between actions. It would totally freeze and then catch up later, then freeze again.

This is actually how most of them go for me.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
starting this whole thing off with “Yes of course loot needs looking at” so i don’t feel the need to qualify everything

Mebh posted:

I could identify items at a glance, I didn't have to start min/maxxing stats until I was seriously pushing GR90+ and even then it was a fraction of the effort because all yellows are basically mulch bait or "oh i need some rings to upgrade. I'll keep those"

The entire town loop is drastically simplified as you don't have to look at stats on yellows because when you upgrade them they reroll. It's one of those things that I guarantee they put in as it sounds cool on paper. "Hey I got a cool yellow, I can take this all the way to a top tier item" but what it actually ends up doing is bags full of yellows that you have to go down each one and make sure it isn't good.

what does it mean to identify items at a glance here? it’s been a long time since i played 3, but what i remember is still having to pick up anything of the right color for a slot i needed upgrades in, ignoring the green/red auto-evaluate number since it doesn’t do anything/give meaningful data, and then compare the stats on the thing i found to the thing i have equipped. did this change such that this system is now a different loop than D4? the vast majority of gear you can BS or not pick up b/c it’s not for a slot you need an upgrade in or the mobs you’re fighting can’t drop a high enough ilvl item to matter out whatever

it seems even less relevant to me now to min/max D4 gear except when doing the very last end game activities than when full power preseason disobedience or season 1 barber heart existed. what kind of power curve issues are you hitting that you need to critique gear closely sooner than that? my experience has been more that i spend time min/maxing gear sooner than end game so i can spend my next 10-20 levels willing ignoring all the gear that drops

m.hache posted:

Is there a way to get sigils I want to run or is it a crap shoot at the occultist. I want a lvl 90 but every time I roll for one I’m getting closer to 100.

crafting sigils is a crapshoot yeah. but if you find/run an 88/89/90 or whatever, the sigils that drop in there are generally +/- 1 nmd tier of the tier you’re in. i haven’t had to do it in a while, but if you start to run low on sigils/powder to craft new ones, you used to be able to idle outside the dungeon for like 10? minutes and it would soft reset the dungeon. you can then go in and clear the mobs again and get more chances for dropped sigils of the appropriate level. i typically only did this if i couldn’t really push any higher level than what i was at without some major concession/gear changes and even then only in dungeons that were mob dense and on a key with good affixes. you might just be able to use the reset dungeon button to emulate that now? haven’t tried

flashman posted:

What kind of speed reader poo poo you got going on that with the butchering of the multiplicatives it takes 30s to look at all the ancestrals

I'm way faster than my buddies and it still takes a couple minutes, they're lucky to get the boss of the next NMD by the time they're done

i know everyone has already given all their thoughts on this, but especially if you’re on PC, it’s super fast to compare gear. obviously if you’ve got a piece of gear with 3/4 or 4/4 stats that are BiS, just don’t pick up any gear for that slot. going from 3/4 to 4/4 will not change your clear time or survivability or whatever.

the next biggest thing is to turn on the advanced compare tooltip nonsense option, the one that shows you what stats you lose if you equip your new gear piece. this is especially good on PC because you can either always see this part of the info box or can scroll to the bottom of the info box real fast, but that being said: if you see that the new ring you got has “you lose crit %, you lose resource generation” or whatever 1-3 good stats you already have on your gear, you can pitch it out. for any build there’s almost always 2-3 must have stats for each slot. +skill, cdr, +armor/life for a hat for example. if that red text says i lose even one of those stats, it’s gone. there is no alternative stat that could make up for the loss of any of the three of those so i never have to consider evaluating anything else. if it showed something in red like armor% and that’s the only red stat in there, it’s still trash because the chance that it happened to roll a 4/4 item that only has one stat that is worse than what i currently have equipped is effectively 0, so id need to burn the reroll on the item to get that amor % back up to match the one currently equipped and so it can’t be used to reroll the 4th stat if needed.

all this of course is after spring your inventory and throwing away everything that isn’t at least (current ilvl for weapons/chest/legs/[hat, amulet, rings if you need an ilvl scaling stat like life/thorns] and pitching any things that could be an upgrade but don’t have the correct inherent (a bow might roll the correct stats, but the inherent is weak enough not to let it be useful. boots don’t have the maximum amount of + evade charges/pants aren’t barrier pants? trash)

if you’re playing in such a way that you think you actually need to find top rolled 4/4 gear for all slots, you’re better served gaining levels, leveling glyphs, and optimizing paragon board layout. if you still think you have all that done and your build is not capable of doing what you want with all of that in perfect working order, go watch youtube tutorials on how to improve your play. if none of that works, go farm whispers for gold and buy the natively perfectly rolled 4/4 item you absolutely must have from a diablo 4 trading discord, because it is way faster to farm raw gold than to kill stuff and evaluate all your gear to see if you get that small upgrade

at the end of the day the D4 inventory is either 33 or 36 slots large. it should absolutely take you less than a second per item to evaluate whether or not it could potentially even be an upgrade and to mark it as junk or favorite.

another tip while in thinking about it: if an item is a 3/4 or whatever, don’t sit right then and evaluate and reroll and etc etc. mark it as favorite, dump it to stash, and when you have a full tab or 3-4 items that are all 3/4 potential upgrades for one slot, evaluate them all together at the same time. you can focus on just that one slot and compare them all against each other and save yourself reroll mats since half of those saved items are going to be in the bottom half of likelihood of being replacement items and can be scrapped

thank you for coming to my inventory TED talk

exquisite tea posted:

If I had to play D4 loot doctor I would junk all the pointless "damage to X" affixes and roll the non-terrible ones into one of the 3 non-mainstat categories, or just convert them into straight +damage %. Then I would put about 10x more + TO ALL SKILLS mods on everything, seriously how could you bring back the entire skill tree concept from D2 and skimp out on the entire reason why it was cool. I'd also make all +skill bonuses affect passives in that tree as well. All the conditional "legendary" affixes that are like your Barriers do more Vulnerable Damage to Injured if you've Sucked 3 Dicks in the last 3.4 seconds all get thrown into the bin. If the affix doesn't change something visually about the skill or your character, then it's not worth creating.

i don’t think we’ll ever agree on what exactly makes the best stats to find on gear, but what do you see being left to find after this doctoring? +damage, + skills, + defense? what does an ideal pool of stats look like for an arpg that you design the loot for?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Lord Packinham posted:

I found the season fun and put it down after I finished the battle pass at like lvl 77 and I honestly don’t really want to level or play more as the game just gets more unfun as you get higher level.

I would definitely say as someone who never got to WT4 at launch or season 1 that they did a good job of fixing exp and leveling until the 70s where you are basically set in your gear, upgrades rarely drop and you are hunting uniques and the game just gets worse. Ignoring NMDs is definitely the right call as they are just kinda bad unless you get the fast ones with easy objectives.

The season being really easy also helps but I’m starting to feel like the seasonal stuff is getting old, helltides, world bosses and legion events need another pass as well if they want us in the open world doing something other than seasonal stuff.

The bosses they added are nice but would really benefit from a way to group up.

maybe this is a bad comparison but i think of these new bosses as akin to needing to grab keys and organs for uber trist in D2. that did not need a grouping system, a trading system, or even other people to make it a fun end game goal to strive towards. D2 also had other end game things to strive towards of course. and doing Duriel in 4 is of course more efficient in a group than solo because of bad design, what is the big benefit in D4 for having a group finder/maker for something like Duriel other than a way to counter eg bad design meaning you should pool resources to get 4x drops in a group instead of solo, or as a way to counter bad luck with duriel summoning parts? i feel like redesigning those pain points out would be a better solution and benefit.

grouping up with other is fun in and of itself and it’d be nice to have it available for anyone, and all the other caveats you have to qualify this kind of statement with, but i just don’t get why grouping up with a group finder would specifically be a better experience for new bosses. especially seeing how group finder works in other blizzard games

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Zeg posted:

e: Get well soon

don’t be like this

Mailer posted:

Careful. You're describing items from some other game that ruined the franchise forever. That's why there will never be a Diablo 4.

or this

flashman posted:

Its the unfinished and underbaked aspects of most importance to arpgs that brings the early access comparison, not not liking it, I agree.

or this

just be normal people and post normally about the game without getting all snipey, jeez

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Field Mousepad posted:

I've gotten huge lag spikes at the beginning of world bosses since the game started. Same with legions but all that might be on my end.

i get these in console when zoning into the world boss/legion area, but not so much when the boss spawns or legion starts or whatever. i’ve just been assuming it’s the loading of all the other players stash tabs or whatever

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got a couple gravitational aspects so I decided to burn one at 59 and go ball boy. Just absolutely shredded the t3 capstone at 60. Holy poo poo it's so busted.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Killed Uber Lilith for the first time and I died as she died. I got never ending achievements across my screen and no loot. I went back and she spawned again to fight. Meh

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
the loot from her was two regular legendaries or something equally unimpressive when i did it

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Sucks if you're after the special mount or whatever cosmetic it is she drops, though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It did say I unlocked a mount, so I think I got it. Probably didn't need to pick it up?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Philthy posted:

It did say I unlocked a mount, so I think I got it. Probably didn't need to pick it up?

Yeah the mount unlocks automatically from the achievement.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Goes to shows what I know. :shobon:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Philthy posted:

Killed Uber Lilith for the first time and I died as she died. I got never ending achievements across my screen and no loot. I went back and she spawned again to fight. Meh

Check your stash, you never know. Missed legendaries will appear in there. The minimap will ping the stash chest icon if it's got missed items waiting for you.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

MMAgCh posted:

Goes to shows what I know. :shobon:

it didn’t used to. i want to say it actually wasn’t until either season 2 or a patch/hotfix in season 2 that made it so the cosmetic stuff is auto-rewarded or dumped in your stash or whatever. you for sure used to pretty easily be able to miss that stuff

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

harrygomm posted:

don’t be like this

or this

or this

just be normal people and post normally about the game without getting all snipey, jeez

e: You're weird.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zeg fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 9, 2023

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Zeg posted:

e: You're weird.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

yes but also just be normal people and post normally about the game without getting all snipey, jeez

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

A thousand words to say loot comparison is easy if you don't pick anything up for 20 levels or just leave the comparison for later and don't include that time in your "less than a second per item"

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
seems like a pretty uncharitable read

if your concern is processing loot while people are waiting, dumping it to stash is a quick fix that people were overlooking and took pages for someone to suggest

if your goal is to sort loot efficiently at the expense of a 1:1M drop, use all the suggestions provided. almost everyone should make this trade off

if you need to review every drop, you can inclusively do so in under 30 seconds for a full inventory of 33 items, hence less than a second per item

to no ones surprise, looting is faster the more restrictions you can enact

my description of how to do this is not an endorsement of the current system, it is bad. it is easy, though. it can be quick too

my offer to help anyone with improving their inventory churning still stands, for you or anyone else who wants it. i don’t have to talk in thousand word explanations either if you don’t like.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Again you describe a system of comparing your loot that just ignores a bunch of upgrades, because it's easier and quicker to do so lol

You get more out of the rolls than the ilvl on everything but weapon until you are 4/4 with good rolls on everything, to filter it like that does make it quicker sure, but only because you aren't comparing loot that can be an upgrade.

Is adding half a percentage on a roll ultimately pointless? Yes, but it's also the only activity in the game

flashman fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 9, 2023

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think a tool to help compare loot would be good :)

In a given play session of like an hour I see several pieces that are a “maybe” upgrade that I set aside while I continue doing runs. Sometimes you get a definite easy upgrade but a lot of times I’ll keep running stuff with like 6 pieces that are slotted to be looked at more closely later. And I’m actually ok with that part, because the loop would be very satisfying for me if I could then use a robust testing dummy style system to try out all the new pierces and mix and match them for Big Number Analysis. My problem with the gear situation right now is that I don’t really get to close the loop that way. Would make my brain happy.

The current iteration of the guy u beat up doesn’t rly help me that much but it could also just be a me problem. I would like some stats to look at or something. None of this is that big of a deal to me rn, my biggest wish is for challenging end game stuff. It’s good to steamroll things but I would like something that is really brutal to work towards with gear and build.

I hope everyone is having a good day

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

flashman posted:

Again you describe a system of comparing your loot that just ignores a bunch of upgrades, because it's easier and quicker to do so lol

You get more out of the rolls than the ilvl on everything but weapon until you are 4/4 with good rolls on everything, to filter it like that does make it quicker sure, but only because you aren't comparing loot that can be an upgrade.

Is adding half a percentage on a roll ultimately pointless? Yes, but it's also the only activity in the game

i did not again do this.

if you want to compare every drop, review the red text at the bottom and if you lose 1+ of the 4 best stats you need on your gear, it is trash. just doing this will get you to <1 second per item on PC.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Assuming you have 4/4 with good rolls sure! It speeds up then. But if you don't have all good rolls on even a 4/4 then you have to consider the rolls, what one is missing on a 3/4, and don't forget the item that dropped isn't a 5/5 upgrade so you have to work that out as well.

One of my buddies doesn't pick up rares, only legendaries, his loot analysis is super fast. The more limitations you put on checking the loot it'll obviously be faster, but it's only by virtue of ignoring potential upgrades.

Both previous iterations came to a de facto loot filter of sorts, on the ground. Diablo 2 has a limited amount of desirable items so you only pick up a small portion of the drops either for use or trade value. Diablo 3 you pick up sets and legendaries and ignore the rares, and simply compare numerical values of the new item to the old. This is a system made for a computer to filter

flashman fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 9, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

harrygomm posted:

i did not again do this.

if you want to compare every drop, review the red text at the bottom and if you lose 1+ of the 4 best stats you need on your gear, it is trash. just doing this will get you to <1 second per item on PC.

Let's do a worked example with this system:

I care about crit chance, crit damage, resource gen and max life on rings. I currently have one equipped that has crit chance, resource gen (rolled at the occultist), damage over time and lightning damage.

A ring drops with resource gen, max life, crit damage and fire damage. I quickly check the red text and see that by equipping it I would lose crit chance, 1 of the 4 best stats I need on my gear. I apply your system and salvage a 3/4 ring that I could have rolled into a 4/4

If I'm farming the vampire bosses in the Blood Harvest I'm doing this 30+ times every couple of minutes, context-switching between different sets of preferred stats per slot, and if I make an error during that sub 1 second comparison then whoops, just salvaged my 0.01% chance of an upgrade.

I would also be salvaging items with stats that might be 5th best for that slot but still significantly better than what I'm wearing. For example on my necro I could use damage reduction from close, while fortified and from shadow dotted enemies pretty interchangeably but with your system I pick one and throw 2/3 of my potential upgrades away

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
they added a refund all button, which was a pleasant surprise from a non mid season patchnote reader

I don't get the problem with criticism of the game, so long as there's actually content to the post. there's people in here who just spend all their posts being reply guys to criticism, which poo poo up the thread way more as it's almost strictly posting about posters and rarely ever about the content being criticized. whichever way you're gonna go though, I just wish it would be more heavy handed because it's just going to keep happening until you do

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’ve also fallen into the trap of thinking the gear I’m comparing is worse when I didn’t take into account that what I’m wearing is 5/5 upgraded. There’s no way to compare the base values I assume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

m.hache posted:

I’ve also fallen into the trap of thinking the gear I’m comparing is worse when I didn’t take into account that what I’m wearing is 5/5 upgraded. There’s no way to compare the base values I assume?

Not that I've found. It would also be cool if we had an easy way to compare aspect rolls on amulets with the same aspect on other slots

e: an easy in-game way, I know I can open Calculator and divide by 1.5

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 9, 2023