Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Twerk from Home posted:

Friend, have you taken a look at the Intel thread and their "14th generation" desktop chips?

I'm still giving the win to AMD. They have loving zen2 cores and vega graphics being sold as 7000.

E: although Intel also sucks for doing this. Doubly so because they'll be selling mtr based laptop parts under the same Gen number. I guess once mtr launches we'll call it a tie.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hey AMD

that's a nice CPU

for a Chromebook to use

to the CIRCUS

idiot

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rumors are that the Zen 4 APU desktop launches are imminent. It will be launched as the 8000 series, and to keep the confusion up, include a mix of Phoenix 1 and Phoenix 2 parts. These will be the first hybrid desktop parts from AMD, but AMD won't be marketing them as such:

Will be very interesting to compare the 8600G and 8500G to get an idea of the performance loss with the 4C cores.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are those AM5 parts, then?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

They ain't building any AM4 anymore.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's a big spread on the GPU config. Gotta wait to see if stepping up to the full fat 12CUs will be worth it.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's a big spread on the GPU config. Gotta wait to see if stepping up to the full fat 12CUs will be worth it.

It would still only have 128bit wide DDR5, probably similar to RX 6400 or so. The laptop part that's interesting for it's GPU is Strix Halo, coming later with 256-bit LPDDR5X, but that's not going to be available for AM5.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
give me a strix halo APU for the threadripper-lite platform (siena?) you cowards

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Tuna-Fish posted:

It would still only have 128bit wide DDR5, probably similar to RX 6400 or so. The laptop part that's interesting for it's GPU is Strix Halo, coming later with 256-bit LPDDR5X, but that's not going to be available for AM5.

Have there been any leaks that Strix Halo is actually 256bit wide or is it the usual "4 channel LPDDR5X times 64bit* is 256bit!" mistake (I've done it too)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The laptop Phoenix APU's seem quite performative in those mini-pcs I keep seeing on YouTube. I wonder if you'll be able to go hog wild with the power limits to get even more performance from the desktop parts. I'm sure you'd reach a point of diminishing returns but if someone already has a beefy air cooler it would be neat to see just how much performance you could extract out of the chip.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mental Hospitality posted:

The laptop Phoenix APU's seem quite performative in those mini-pcs I keep seeing on YouTube. I wonder if you'll be able to go hog wild with the power limits to get even more performance from the desktop parts. I'm sure you'd reach a point of diminishing returns but if someone already has a beefy air cooler it would be neat to see just how much performance you could extract out of the chip.

I'd posit "not much" given that we already saw the 5800H laptop vs 5700G desktop comparison and it looks broadly like this: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/3907vs4323/AMD-Ryzen-7-5800H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-5700G

If you're able to throw way more power at the GPU, you also start running smack into memory bandwidth limitations. 2 channel DDR5 just isn't anywhere near GPU memory bandwidth.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The handhelds are also using LPDDR5-6400 in the case of the Ally, or LPDDR5X-7500 in the case of the Legion Go. It's widely believed that memory bandwidth is what limits desktop APU graphics performance, and it seems like that will continue to be the case with the 8000 APUs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cygni posted:

The handhelds are also using LPDDR5-6400 in the case of the Ally, or LPDDR5X-7500 in the case of the Legion Go. It's widely believed that memory bandwidth is what limits desktop APU graphics performance, and it seems like that will continue to be the case with the 8000 APUs.

speaking of, the Steam Deck refresh (OLED + die shrink) apparently performs slightly better thanks to having faster memory.

5500 v 6400.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Rinkles posted:

speaking of, the Steam Deck refresh (OLED + die shrink) apparently performs slightly better thanks to having faster memory.

5500 v 6400.

With how modern CPU clock & power management works, a die shrink alone will probably result in a very small performance boost by itself. They added a bigger heatsink & fan also, it's just a general tweak

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cygni posted:

Rumors are that the Zen 4 APU desktop launches are imminent. It will be launched as the 8000 series, and to keep the confusion up, include a mix of Phoenix 1 and Phoenix 2 parts. These will be the first hybrid desktop parts from AMD, but AMD won't be marketing them as such:

Will be very interesting to compare the 8600G and 8500G to get an idea of the performance loss with the 4C cores.
sataaaaaaan they're doing it again, naming APUs 1000 numbers higher again :eng99:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

sataaaaaaan they're doing it again, naming APUs 1000 numbers higher again :eng99:

I'm looking at my Little Orphan AMD decoder wheel and instead of telling me the CPU specs it's saying something about Ovaltine, what the heck?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The 1.1.0.0 AGESA is rolling out, just got an update for my Asrock board today. Feel like I got a little performance bump in the synthetics. Havent redone the secondary timings on the ram, but didn't have any problems running the EXPO 6000 timings right away. Remember to turn off the auto-bloatware install setting in the bios again.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I wish they didn't, obvious reasons aside I was also looking forward to having an 8800 in my PC again :saddowns:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This doesn't exclude the possibility of normal Ryzen 8000 CPUs with Zen 5, though. I still expect that to happen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the 8950X would need to be renumbered to 8088 or something

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

trying to one-up the 8086's branding

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

AMD (K8)000

Or was K8 the Athlon. Idk, numbers are meaningless. AMD should just call their next chip the arch the 15XXX to one-up Intel with numbers.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AMD should start going into hex digits after the Ryzen 9000s. By the end of the decade you'll be buying a Ryzen 9 C950X

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is it a Core i5-8600, or a Ryzen 5 8600?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Subjunctive posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1723655929755775146?t=vd9yaWLSd-Ih9sY2x3yJCg&s=19

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

With all the tech sales coming up, should I buy a good pair of DDR5 sticks in preparation for the eventual Ryzen 9000 CPUs or is it likely that RAM prices in late 2024 (or whenever these CPUs drop) will be as low as they currently are?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cross-Section posted:

With all the tech sales coming up, should I buy a good pair of DDR5 sticks in preparation for the eventual Ryzen 9000 CPUs or is it likely that RAM prices in late 2024 (or whenever these CPUs drop) will be as low as they currently are?

Ryzen 9000 may not even be a thing until next year, one leaked image from alienware is not much to make purchases on.

I would not buy DDR5 in advance of knowing what the Zen 5 memory controller will do. Maybe it'll cap at 6000 like currently, maybe it'll go higher and you'll have bought slower memory than you could be using.

(Also, general prices for ram and flash may be going up, but that doesn't mean high-speed DIY memory will also be going up. Like, right now is a good time to buy a SSD if you need one. But speculatively buying hardware you don't need is almost never a good idea.)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

I wouldn't do this for DDR5. Memory speeds, voltages, and support is still improving and if you want a bunch of memory or really fast memory I'd wait and see what next-gen processors want.

I do think this is the bottom for DDR4 prices though!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Seems like 'wait and see' is the prevailing opinion, then. Thanks y'all!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Fairly safe bet they'll be doing an X3D variant eventually, hey?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

slidebite posted:

Fairly safe bet they'll be doing an X3D variant eventually, hey?

Almost certainly, but if Zen 5 puts them decently ahead of Intel on its own, they'll probably wait longer to release it, or put more of a premium on the cost than they have previously.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So AMD is running another "free" game bonus for buying an AMD CPU which is Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora. I watched a trailer and this game is basically Far Cry: Pandora right? Definitely not something that would influence my purchasing decision.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

I would not buy DDR5 in advance of knowing what the Zen 5 memory controller will do. Maybe it'll cap at 6000 like currently, maybe it'll go higher and you'll have bought slower memory than you could be using.

Paul has me all worried about running above JEDEC, with his tales of electromigration woes. :ohdear:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think odds are still good you won't use a computer long enough to kill it that way

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah it sounded like even 2 years could cause issues, and my hardware usually gets handed down twice at least, so I guess I’m going to read all these semi-conductor articles and decide how scared I am.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah it sounded like even 2 years could cause issues, and my hardware usually gets handed down twice at least, so I guess I’m going to read all these semi-conductor articles and decide how scared I am.

I think we once had a pretty good discussion on all of this, but I would not be worried about electromigration as it relates to your and general consumer use. There are other factors at play that are independent of whether it’s technically operating outside of JEDEC recommendations, and those factors would generally make themselves apparent regardless of that.

Edit: fwiw, I spend a healthy chunk of each week evaluating reports as it relates to material science, and impacts of areas such as voltage, MIC, hydraulic, etc. Electromigration exists, but it's concerns as it relates to general consumer use and even enthusiast use are significantly overstated.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 12, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

Ryzen 9000 may not even be a thing until next year, one leaked image from alienware is not much to make purchases on.

(Also, general prices for ram and flash may be going up, but that doesn't mean high-speed DIY memory will also be going up. Like, right now is a good time to buy a SSD if you need one. But speculatively buying hardware you don't need is almost never a good idea.)

There are many good reasons why you shouldn't buy memory so far in advance, but Zen 5 is almost certainly going to be a thing next year, probably in the first half. There are probably a dozen different sources pointing in that direction by now.

justdan
Mar 31, 2010
Hey, quick question:

I just got my first 7000 CPU and I'm wondering if this thing makes any sense to get? Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

justdan posted:

Hey, quick question:

I just got my first 7000 CPU and I'm wondering if this thing makes any sense to get? Thoughts?

”Amazon description” posted:

Anti-Warping: The computer's CPU is prone to overheating and warping. CPU Fixed Frame is designed to prevent CPU warping/bending in favor of CPU fixation.

I dunno OP, sounds like bullshit to me. I just used whatever came with my cooler IIRC.