Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ivory was so jacked she ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Shard posted:

Ivory was so jacked she ruled

I definitely remember being intimidated by her and I only felt that way about one other female wrestler at the time and that was Jacqueline (Chyna too I suppose). Ivory vs. Jacqueline would've been a pretty good match think, I don't recall if that match up ever happened though.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Barry Bluejeans posted:

For sure, it's a great spot and pulled off really well. I'd never seen that match before and it's pretty fascinating (trashy as it is), so thanks!

Sometimes the most brutal spots are super safe but let your mind fill in the blanks.

Eddie kingston throwing rubbing alcohol on moxleys various open wounds had me cringing and screaming even though its probably just water inside of a rubbing alcohol bottle(I hope, even mox wouldnt be that dumb)

Anytime someone does the finger snapping spot real good.

Penta's arm breaker.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Defenestrategy posted:

Eddie kingston throwing rubbing alcohol on moxleys various open wounds had me cringing and screaming even though its probably just water inside of a rubbing alcohol bottle(I hope, even mox wouldnt be that dumb)

Same thing as Eddie pouring "gasoline" on Jericho - it's just water, but put it in a gas can and your mind fills in the blanks

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Sometimes the most brutal spots are super safe but let your mind fill in the blanks.

Anytime someone does the finger snapping spot real good.

Penta's arm breaker.

theres a great interview with Mox where he says he was shocked people thought it was a real sawzal he took to the face at ToD, he was like "people thought it was real, if it was real how would i still have a face?"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Same thing as Eddie pouring "gasoline" on Jericho - it's just water,

it was actually gas and he was gonna set those fuckers on fire

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Defenestrategy posted:

Toshiyuki Sakuda putting a skewer through both of your cheeks

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

As someone with a bunch of aftermarket face holes I feel qualified in saying I could definitely handle the skewer through the cheeks spot

A single bump would shatter me like sugar glass but poke me full of holes no problem

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Same thing as Eddie pouring "gasoline" on Jericho - it's just water, but put it in a gas can and your mind fills in the blanks

The lead singer of Avatar does this in concert - his water bottle on stage is a gas can and he drinks out of it throughout the show.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

graph posted:

it was actually gas and he was gonna set those fuckers on fire

I will forever believe that Eddie doesn't know wrestling is fake.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dick Bastardly posted:

I definitely remember being intimidated by her and I only felt that way about one other female wrestler at the time and that was Jacqueline (Chyna too I suppose). Ivory vs. Jacqueline would've been a pretty good match think, I don't recall if that match up ever happened though.
They had 34 televised matches with each other, including eleven singles matches mostly on secondary shows, and none of them appearing to go more than three minutes.

They had four PPV multi-person matches too, but those ranged from a two minute long Survivor Series "Sudden Death" match to a seven minute UK-only four-way with them + Luna and Tori. I imagine they could have had a better-than-most-everything-actually-presented match in the late 90s/early 2000s though. I think the aforementioned Ivory vs. Tori hardcore match was the longest 1v1 women's match to be broadcast by WWE until 2002 or so.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Alright, what'd be the worst spots then? Which are either/or painful or unsafe but doesnt actually look painful

The Selfrock Bottom/flatliner, is probably uo there. You're taking a flat back bump, which from experience kinda sucks, and the pay off is a move that doesnt even look that good to begin with.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Finn Balor's double footstomp apparently feels much worse to take than it ever looks

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

They had 34 televised matches with each other, including eleven singles matches mostly on secondary shows, and none of them appearing to go more than three minutes.

I've certainly seen at least a few of those matches in that case, but I don't recall and that's likely more on my dumb teenaged stoner brain than it was on the matches being forgettable.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Alright, what'd be the worst spots then? Which are either/or painful or unsafe but doesnt actually look painful

The Selfrock Bottom/flatliner, is probably uo there. You're taking a flat back bump, which from experience kinda sucks, and the pay off is a move that doesnt even look that good to begin with.

Taking Shane McMahon punches

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Being within 5 feet of Nia Jax

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Who would be widely regarded as the stiffest in the ring in recent history (let's say... the past 30 years or so) I wonder?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dick Bastardly posted:

Who would be widely regarded as the stiffest in the ring in recent history (let's say... the past 30 years or so) I wonder?

the TNA 6-sided ring

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dick Bastardly posted:

I've certainly seen at least a few of those matches in that case, but I don't recall and that's likely more on my dumb teenaged stoner brain than it was on the matches being forgettable.

They were almost certainly forgettable.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Finn Balor's double footstomp apparently feels much worse to take than it ever looks

At least that looks like it would hurt so it's arguably worth it. Bret said he hated chops because you can't do it without hurting the other guy, which defeats the purpose of a work.

I'm guessing there's some submission holds that actually hurt and don't look much more than any others.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

pseudodragon posted:

At least that looks like it would hurt so it's arguably worth it. Bret said he hated chops because you can't do it without hurting the other guy, which defeats the purpose of a work.

I'm guessing there's some submission holds that actually hurt and don't look much more than any others.

Bret has a lot of bad ideas.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bret got his brains loving scrambled by Goldberg let’s not judge him too harshly

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

MassRafTer posted:

They were almost certainly forgettable.

You know what isn't forgettable but I wish was? That one time Mae Young exposed her puppies on some live ppv (I've forgotten which one in a twist of cruel irony)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There was a brief period in the attitude era where it seemed like every ppv had a mandatory segment for one of the women to go topless and I guess she drew the short straw that night

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Royal Rumble 2000.

That part is censored on the Network, which is amusing

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I feel like someone actually did a shoot and said they were fake old lady boobs though so maybe it’s ok!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It was funny because they were old and ugly.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I didn't mean that night I mean that was Moolah and Mae Young's gimmick.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dick Bastardly posted:

Didn't Low Ki pretty famously not do the double stomp the right way

Foley said Terry Funk didn't even work his punches

The Steiners beat the everliving gently caress out of jobbers when they weren't sexually assaulting them in the showers

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

I doubt it, as it turns out it's actually pretty hard to hurt someone with a submission if you're both cooperating with it and aren't untrained or being an rear end in a top hat.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The Steiners beat the everliving gently caress out of jobbers when they weren't sexually assaulting them in the showers

:stare:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Eric Bischoff and Kevin Nash have both told remarkably similar stories about it. They seem very credible to me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

I doubt it, as it turns out it's actually pretty hard to hurt someone with a submission if you're both cooperating with it and aren't untrained or being an rear end in a top hat.

Considering how a lot of shoot submissions can look like nothing at all but put people in absolute agony I bet an improperly applied worked submission would probably work the same way

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Considering how a lot of shoot submissions can look like nothing at all but put people in absolute agony I bet an improperly applied worked submission would probably work the same way

Correct, a lot of worked submissions are just improperly applied shoot submissions, but really the only submissions that would suck to take if applied properly in a prowrestling context would be Boston Crab positions if you're not particularly flexible and your partner is hyper-extending you on accident.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Or Lita spraying Foley with lighter fluid in his WM match with Edge.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Wrong thread

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Lebel Lock actually hurts a lot. In BJJ it's sometimes called the Imanari choke, which is technically a rear naked choke but the neck crank in that context isn't really any better. There's a video of Joe Rogan doing it with a few pro MMA fighters and it's just blowing their minds how much it hurts.

WRT the Tori/Ivory iron spot if you watch closely you can just see that they filled the iron about 1/3 full with fake blood instead of water (it's visibly red for about 1/2 second as she's getting it in position) and she just pumps the water button with her thumb. It's actually a really sneaky and clever way of doing it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Didn't Low Ki pretty famously not do the double stomp the right way

Foley said Terry Funk didn't even work his punches

Funk worked them unless it was a big spot, and his first punch of the match was always a live round to remind people not to gently caress with him.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

Funk worked them unless it was a big spot, and his first punch of the match was always a live round to remind people not to gently caress with him.

God, he was the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I will forever believe that Eddie doesn't know wrestling is fake.

Alec McGuiness to Eddie Kingston: "Young chap, have you tried acting?"