Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, 'ignorance is strength', after all- while an Eldar is quite visibly nonhuman, the average citizen isn't going to know what the heck it is.

Anyway, for those of you new to the RT system, Slandered has a video out on the Characteristics and Skills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ju3bJa4jU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I've seen stuff that said that humans can generally spot eldar as aliens because of their movements. Everything is just too perfect, too graceful, zero wasted movements like fidgeting or glancing around that humans and anything that came from humanity does as part of the little rhythms of being alive.

They won't know what exactly they are of course, but the eldar will trip the uncanny valley response so hard a normal person would know they're dealing with something entirely alien to them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The general response from the previewers seems to be no one knows what the point of the triumph/darkness moments are, and the entire game available to them doesn't mention anything about it either.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Elf 1: tastefully dressed in an earth tone robe, maybe a couple of bracelets or trinkets.
Elf 2: covered in more spikes than a porcupine, maybe some moderate flesh sculpting, bits of human skin on some of the spikes.
Imperium: same elf

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pentyne posted:

The general response from the previewers seems to be no one knows what the point of the triumph/darkness moments are, and the entire game available to them doesn't mention anything about it either.

Mortismal sounded like they were really more roleplay picks than anything, might feed into a couple odd dialog bits.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Eifert Posting posted:

Elf 1: tastefully dressed in an earth tone robe, maybe a couple of bracelets or trinkets.
Elf 2: covered in more spikes than a porcupine, maybe some moderate flesh sculpting, bits of human skin on some of the spikes.

THEY ARE. :colbert:

DeathSandwich posted:

Mortismal sounded like they were really more roleplay picks than anything, might feed into a couple odd dialog bits.

Sill, it'd be nice to know what they were. I know I'd like to know about them personally, even if they didn't give XP or whatever.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

The craftworld eldar attack your planets seemingly at random and leave mayhem and destruction in their wake, all attempts at diplomacy with them fails or go unanswered.

The dark eldar attack your planets seemingly at random and leave slightly more mayhem and destruction in their wake, all attempts at diplomacy are met with mocking laughter or go unanswered.

In practical terms for anyone not a main character they are the same.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

you can flip a triumph to upgrade one of your green dice to a yellow or upgrade one of your opponents difficulty dice from a purple to a red and your opponent can use a darkness to do the same thing to you

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Triumph and Darkest Hour do have a bit of a feel of being something that was meant to have a statistical impact, but they ultimately decided against that but also didn't want to rip it out wholesale.

It's also been somewhat adapted from the tabletop - you'd pick your homeworld, your birthright (how you were raised), your "lure of the void" (what drew you to space), your "trials and travails", your motivation, and then your career (which are the classes) and then optionally your lineage. Owlcat RT mixes birthright and portions of career into Origin, and then it feels like Triumph & Darkest Hour were meant to more or less stand in for lure of the void and trials & travails, but that was just Too Much stats and too many things to juggle, so they may have cut it down to just reactivity without just slicing it out. We'll see how wise all that was in the final release.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly, I'm glad they don't have any mechanical benefit (as far as we know)- it seems a very RP focused factor, and I wouldn't want my mechanical performance negatively affected by my RP choice and vice versa. Just give me a dialogue option here and there and I'd be happy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The alien most Imperium persons might know about is probably an Ork because they pop up everywhere and attack settlements randomly. If that's your idea of a Xeno you might not know that an Aeldari or whatever is one as well because they're not dumb or big enough.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Are there many canon alien races that don't have army books/models?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Further Reading posted:

Depends on how deep into the lore you go and whether you consider only currently legal armies.

Generally, no.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

There are a fair number of minor alien species that occasionally show up, but the key word there is minor - there's not enough to them lorewise to warrant getting a Codex - the races featured in Codices are basically the big leagues (or sections thereof, in the case of all the various Imperial factions). Some more notable ones would be the Jokaero, who are one of the very few xenos who actually have the Imperial stamp of approval due to just how indispensable their weaponsmithing is (helped by the fact that they don't have any interests besides making weapons - no interests in conquest or the like), the Enslavers, who are a species that live in the Immaterium (i.e. the Warp) and are an absolute scourge whenever they breach realspace in notable numbers, and the Loxatl who are a very minor species but have had a fair few appearances due to packs of them being hired as mercenaries by various Chaos forces in a number of novels.

Honestly, you could probably do something with Enslavers, as they are a very real galaxywide (if rare) threat, but the way they operate is so different from normal realspace armies (or, for that matter, daemonic incursions which generally ape realspace armies to a certain extent) that it'd likely be hard to come up with rules that work particularly well.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 9, 2023

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

quote:

Forge World
- +5 TGH, + INT
- -5 FEL
Pick one of 3
Subskin Armor: bonus armor %
Locomotion: bonus to MP and dodge
Analytics: bonus to crit%

Talents
- Pinnacle of Weaponry: First attack with plasma, melta, or power weapon gains bonus damage, rest of combat it's 1/2 that bonus
- Fires of the Forge: deflection bonus against burning and flame
- Steel of the Forge: while wearing heavy armor, +1MP, +1 deflection, cannot fall prone
- Persistance of the Forge: stacking 10% bonus to hit and dodge reduction against any target you hit with a single target attack, crits give a 20% bonus
- Calculated Relations: PER, COE, COM based on INT instead of FEL

sheeesh all that looks very good

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Further Reading posted:

Yes, dozens, if you count the role-playing games and novels. Fra'al, Hrud, and Jokaero are the big ones that are supposed to be distributed widely across the galaxy and have no models or army book.

In the Koronus Expanse setting the important xenos with no 40K models are the Yu'Vath, Slaugth, and Rak'Gol.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 9, 2023

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

whats the name of that kinda scary kinda stupid Xenos race that had very ork-y weapons but they were really radioactive instead

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/Grey-Knights-Jokaero-Weaponsmith

Jokaero have models and, I believe, appeared in the Empire codex (or maybe just the TTRPGs), as did a few of the more common minor species. Loxatl don't have models, Enslavers don't have models, and a number of others - there's a lot of races mentioned once or twice: https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Races - or that are long dead (for whatever that counts for in 40k land) but there are very few races that are given more than a throwaway line that they haven't rendered in resin/pewter/plastic and sold.

frajaq posted:

whats the name of that kinda scary kinda stupid Xenos race that had very ork-y weapons but they were really radioactive instead

Rak'gol?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Space pugs.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The T'au have a long list of allied races that sound really cool but don't have models. Instead the T'au just get more boring mecha every time they have an update.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Aramoro posted:

Based on the beta no. But folk seem really convinced it will be significantly better than that but I don't know what that's based on to be honest.

Personally I would wait for bit after release to see if the problems shake out

I think it's going to be good, they really get the 40k vibe and all the problems seemed fixable. No harm in waiting for reviews though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, dozens, if you count the role-playing games and novels. Fra'al, Hrud, and Jokaero are the big ones that are supposed to be distributed widely across the galaxy and have no models or army book.

In the Koronus Expanse setting the important xenos with no 40K models are the Yu'Vath, Slaugth, and Rak'Gol.
I find it rather funny when an entry on a xeno species in the roleplaying game will go on for paragraphs about how these creatures are monsters who desire nothing but murder, then end by mentioning they interact peacefully with other non-human xenos just fine. A real if you meat an rear end in a top hat every day situation.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

so did the recent previews say anything about encounter design

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Terrible Opinions posted:

I find it rather funny when an entry on a xeno species in the roleplaying game will go on for paragraphs about how these creatures are monsters who desire nothing but murder, then end by mentioning they interact peacefully with other non-human xenos just fine. A real if you meat an rear end in a top hat every day situation.

The Slaugth actually are the worst though. Like, the actual worst.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Further Reading posted:

The Rangda and the Rangdan Xenocides seem to currently occupy the same space of hinted-at lore that the Horus Heresy did before it became the most meticulously detailed part of the setting.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Humans are the worst aliens anyone can encounter. Not only are you now fighting a war for survival against a race that has proven itself extremely competent at total and complete genocide, you've also now got a much increased threat of chaos becoming interested in you.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I think it's going to be good, they really get the 40k vibe and all the problems seemed fixable. No harm in waiting for reviews though.

I think the bugs are fixable etc but a big one for me is the encounter design which is more of a design ethos thing, owlcat might not want to fix it because they don't think it's broken?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cuntman.net posted:

so did the recent previews say anything about encounter design

Mortismal mentioned combat with a mix of more powerful enemies that you're meant to focus on, and horde enemies you're meant to kill off easily to build momentum (which is a bit of a change from the early versions, which often threw trash mobs at you in the first act), and Slandered talked about some later combats taking a while to finish depending on your difficulty settings, which I've interpreted to mean some tough boss fights. I can certainly attest to those being part of the beta :unsmigghh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hrud and humans are pretty similar in that once they move in they breed like rabbits and psychically enshitify the whole sector. Ban neighbors.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Aramoro posted:

I think the bugs are fixable etc but a big one for me is the encounter design which is more of a design ethos thing, owlcat might not want to fix it because they don't think it's broken?

Solid point.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Exhausting, swampy encounters were also a feature of Kingmaker and, to a slightly lesser extent, Wrath. Owlcat love their tar pits fulla trash as much as they love obtuse game mechanics.

I hope to play this once all the DLC is out, but I full expect to turn the difficulty down somewhere after the halfway point.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Wrath was a lot better than Kingmaker, though it did still have a few fights where I sat there wondering exactly what insane min-maxed party they had used to beat them. Hopefully this will continue the trend.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Wrath was much better for combat since it improved a lot on Kingmaker's extremely basic enemy ai. But honestly I feel like it had way more "open a door and get hosed by a satan lobster" type poo poo going on, it just wasn't frontloaded at lv 2 or whatever like a lot of the nasty bits in Kingmaker were

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Trash mobs at least have a point in being a method to gain momentum for Heroic acts.

It's not very effective when the 'tough' enemies have 70+ HP and the 'trash' has 30 HP but the idea still kind of works.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

For me BG3 had set a high bar for encounters. Whatever else you think of that game I could describe a fight and you would know which fight it was and why there was a fight.

Theres no, walked 5 meters and found 6 absolute randos who pose no threat, have nothing useful and waste my time. Then move 10 more meters and get another trash mob but this time they have a sniper rifle? They're just time sinks in the game which maybe throw some wounds on your guy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfMKwb-MHWc

Breakdown of the Grand Strategist, probably the most complex class in the game so far. Some of the abilities were in the alpha for Cassia so those who played it may remember all her abilities about setting up specific areas where if your party is inside them gain bonuses. Requires you to start as officer or operative, class skills scale off INT and FEL

Key features
- Grand Strategist always goes first in combat
- In the first turn, you can set all 3 areas, Frontline, Backline, Rear, but in following turns only reposition one of them each turn. Range is unlimited and areas cost 0 AP to place
- If 2 GS are in the party, all the abilities scale off the highest INT/FEL bonus of the two.

Frontline
- marks a 4x4 area, all allies gain bonus to armor, all enemies take more damage
Rear
- marks a 5x2 area, all allies gain damage, overpenetration, and +%crit chance
Backline
- marks a 5x2 area, allies gain cover, dodge, and dodge reduction

Heroic Moment
Take and Hold
- Set 1 area to grant all allies inside another turn with 1AP and 2MP, enemies killed in the area will boost those numbers.
- Desperate version will reduce your MP to 1 for the rest of combat

Abilities
Killzone Stratagem: Applied to a combat area, for 1 round all enemies have to re-roll dodge/parry succcess, any damaged enemies below a certain amount of HP will die instantly
Overwhelming StratAgem: For 1 round all allies in the area gain "covering" when attacking enemies who fail a WP save, pretty strong debuff, does not work on stronger enemies
Stronghold Stratagem: For 1 round all allies in the area gain %armor, cannot be overpenetrated, immune to prone, +deflection against aoe, and don't suffer injuries
Blitz Stratagem: For 1 round, all allies gain the ability to move this the area, movement does not provoke AOE or spend MP
Combat Locus Stratagem: Pick one area, and double the bonuses, but clears the other 2 areas
Trenchline Stratagem: For 1 round, all allies gain %cover and re-roll failed characteristic tests, area cover will not take damage

Talents
Point of Interest: All bonuses are increased if the area has not moved for 2 rounds
Diversion Zone: When using a rear strategem, allies in that area set to enemy lowest priority for 1 round
Crossfire Zone: When used on frontline, allies gain bonus to dodge against ally attacks
Enduring Zone: When using a stratagem all area allies gain bonus deflection against their next melee hit
Stirring Zone: When using a stratagem all area allies gain +1MP for the next turn
Adjusting Frontline: If more enemies then allies, gain bonus to parry and dodge, if reversed gain bonus damage
Personal Zone: Allies, including the GS, in the same area as the GS gain a bonus to PER and AGI
Strongpoint: When using a stratagem on an area for the second time in a turn, refund 1AP, works 1x per turn.
Personal Combat Zone: Allies can reposition the zone they are in for 1AP
Critical Zone: When using stratagem on backline, allies can +%crit against enemies they have cover from
Dashing Zone: When using stratagem, allies can move 1 square without triggering AOO
Supporting Zone: Using a stratagem gives you the ability to use all officer abilities on allies in that area regardless of range
Strategic Perfection: Grants stack when using stratagems, when at 6 stacks, the next stratagem applies benefits of all known strategems and removes stacks
Improvised Strategy: At start of combat gain 1 unknown stratagem and can use it for 0AP until the end of combat
Sniping Zone: Alles in rear gain bonus to %crit if no enemies are within 5 cell radius
Shooting Gallery Zone: If no enemies in the backline, first attacks that turn for allies in that area cost 1AP less
Disputed Zone: Enemies in the same area as the GS suffer penalty to dodge/parry
Strategic Offensive: Every enemy killed in the frontline increases all bonuses of Combat Tactics by 1 until the end of combat
Respite Zone: Increases healing in the rear, medkits cost 1AP less
Inescapable Zone: When using Killzone enemies take a -15 penalty on rerolls
Fortress Zone: Allies under Trenchline will dodge AOE attacks without moving, and cannot be forced moved
Daunting Zone: Overpowering gets additional penalty to enemies WP checks
Opening Strategy: First stratagem used in a turn can be used again for 0AP
Overcoming Zone: When using Stronghold, allies who should have gained injuries instead gain temp HP
Blurred Locus: When using combat locus, one of the areas removed can be recreated immediately

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Aramoro posted:

For me BG3 had set a high bar for encounters. Whatever else you think of that game I could describe a fight and you would know which fight it was and why there was a fight.

Theres no, walked 5 meters and found 6 absolute randos who pose no threat, have nothing useful and waste my time. Then move 10 more meters and get another trash mob but this time they have a sniper rifle? They're just time sinks in the game which maybe throw some wounds on your guy.

Yeah all those needle blight ambushes and generic zombie/wraith encounters in Act 2 were super memorable. Also can't forget the "ambushed by a half dozen doppelgangers" fight at the circus no wait under the temple no wait at the harper hideout no wait the wine tasting festival no wait the barber's no wait

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Aramoro posted:

I haven't played BG3 but I have a similar opinion about their encounters in divinity original sin 2. One of my favourites was the oil well fight, I replayed that like half a dozen times trying to figure out how to save the guy on the rig.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Further Reading posted:

I haven't played BG3 but I have a similar opinion about their encounters in divinity original sin 2. One of my favourites was the oil well fight, I replayed that like half a dozen times trying to figure out how to save the guy on the rig.

OS2 actually had amazing encounter design that peaked during Act 2
- Oil Field
- Demon Isle
- Voidbug Cave and the op Dwarf cultists guarding it
- the tomb with the skeleton and her frost dogs
- the cabin where the blind elf was held
- the town that's under constant meteor fire with the crazy undead monster
- the lizard Sourcerer on the run in the ruins
- paying the Troll Toll twice over
- crucified I'll kill your shining lights lady

There's so much going on in that map it's nuts. The Island fumbles things a bit but there's still some neat stuff like the goblin clockwork pocket dimension or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Perfect Potato posted:

Yeah all those needle blight ambushes and generic zombie/wraith encounters in Act 2 were super memorable. Also can't forget the "ambushed by a half dozen doppelgangers" fight at the circus no wait under the temple no wait at the harper hideout no wait the wine tasting festival no wait the barber's no wait

in an owlcat game all of those would be in one dungeon

also youre kinda proving his point with the doppelganger example