Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

How much do you like rebooting?

I freaking love rebooting. Every time I do it, my Windows box speeds up for a couple hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zhar
May 3, 2019

I thought it was just me with this specific nvidia issue but lol that it's "normal". Going to maybe try some of these other distros in a vm to see if anything seems appealing before fedora 40.

ziasquinn posted:

me?? I use nixos

Something I've seriously considered as it would be nice to have an unbreakable os but seems like a lot of effort. Ansible seems sufficient for me in terms of the management side of things currently.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Theres almost never a reason to upgrade the first week of any major release, do yourself a favor and wait a week or two at least before doing any major upgrades to minimize poo poo like this.

Guessing rpmfusion hasnt been updated or tested yet which is giving you grief. Unless your running entirely stock distro it usually takes a while for all the random 3rd parties to get their poo poo together in my experience.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Theres almost never a reason to upgrade the first week of any major release, do yourself a favor and wait a week or two at least before doing any major upgrades to minimize poo poo like this.

Remote root exploit seems like a reason.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

zhar posted:

Something I've seriously considered as it would be nice to have an unbreakable os but seems like a lot of effort. Ansible seems sufficient for me in terms of the management side of things currently.

Hey, friend, you should give VanillaOS a spin. I've been using it for a couple years on a laptop I pull out once every 4 months or so. It's been just swell.

If you're talking server, Flatcar Container Linux or Fedora CoreOS might be up your alley. You're going to have to change how you think about things like Ansible, though, so it may be more effort than you want to put in right now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

zhar posted:

I thought it was just me with this specific nvidia issue but lol that it's "normal". Going to maybe try some of these other distros in a vm to see if anything seems appealing before fedora 40.

Silverblue is an option for you as an "unbreakable" distro.

zhar
May 3, 2019

VanillaOS looks very interesting and I'll definitely take a closer look at that but I feel the difficult part will be de-gnomeing it. Not sure exactly what this vib OCI image thing is on the upcoming version but it would be neat to have a vanillaos-minimal base to start with.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Silverblue is an option for you as an "unbreakable" distro.

I'm thinking about getting away from fedora for better nvidia support

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

cruft posted:

Remote root exploit seems like a reason.

Wild that happens every major upgrade and isn't backported :thunk:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Vavrek posted:

How is it?

zhar posted:

honestly, i love it. I haven't swapped distros since I installed nixos in August, which is a crazy record for me. I only started loving around with Linux last December with arch, played around with pop os, but mostly jumped between arch distros, gentoo a little, then landed on nixos. modifying your configuration file is super easy and it rebuilds the entire system faster than arch can do a system update. plus it just automates a lot of bullshit stuff, like enabling/starting services (most of the time, at least).

it really isn't horrible effort but it is far less documented than arch, which will always be the metric to me with the archwiki (heck i've even contributed to it for like displaylink and such). But sometimes you can manage to utilize information from the archwiki for your nixos installation, some stuff translates.

i'm still learning my way around and through the nix packaging system but it is interesting. I mostly love the rollback feature for if I gently caress something up and the fact it tears everything out if you swap DE's. maybe that was an inexperience thing but it always felt like I needed to fresh install if I switched from like gnome to kde, as it would continue using gnome-backend stuff?

plus I like the idea i'm slowly developing my own system's reproducibility as I use it and add to it, rather than feeling somewhat... ad-hoc.

I'm sure automation-type tools built for other systems are just as fine, and i'm probably a true-arch user at heart, but for now, I'm satisfied.

also for what it's worth i'm not using flakes or anything super fancy... mostly cause I can't see the use case quite yet, but that's probably my brain more than anything.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

zhar posted:

VanillaOS looks very interesting and I'll definitely take a closer look at that but I feel the difficult part will be de-gnomeing it. Not sure exactly what this vib OCI image thing is on the upcoming version but it would be neat to have a vanillaos-minimal base to start with.

I'm thinking about getting away from fedora for better nvidia support

If you do like Fedora except for the nvidia issue, there's Ublue, which is based on Silverblue but has tweaks on it for various reasons like Bazzite (a version for gaming which boots into a steam big picture mode and has a bunch of built in tools for streaming) or flavors on the various DE's.

You can choose between built-in nvidia support or not, depending on your needs.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Wild that happens every major upgrade and isn't backported :thunk:

OH!

I thought you meant "wait two weeks after installing a newly-released major version before you install any updates" :classiclol:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
To be honest Fedora has a pretty good nvidia experience imo IF you know about rpmfusion AND aren't jumping the gun at updates. Not sure I've had a painless experience on any distro with nvidia but I seem to recall Fedoras in general being less annoying, but I've also been team red for three or so years so its a bit of a blur.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Could you do something like have a two GRUB entries to boot, one with non-free nvidia and one with noveau?

If you had that in your standard grub config, and Fedora does the same normal regeneration of grub config after a version upgrade as any other time, then you'd always have the option to boot the "safe" option. And noveau may suck but at least you'd have a desktop and a web browser, and you'd know that it was just nvidia trouble.

Dunno if this might also gently caress up your configs for like desktops & widgets in KDE or similar stuff.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
This seems like the common thing with Nvidia and fedora upgrades...
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/quick-psa-for-nvidia-users-upgrading-from-38-to-39-with-solution/95322

Sudo depmod -a and a reboot fixes it, but you need to get a console to run it.

I hard reset twice to get a display where I could run the command, there must be a better way to get to a console if you know this is a problem.

^exactly mentioned above, a non- Nvidia grub entry would do it.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 9, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ssh from something else? (could be a phone, it’s not a lot of typing if you use key auth)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just put

services.xserver.videoDrivers = [ "nvidia" ];

in my /etc/nixos/configuration.nix

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Since you're mentioning it I may as well ask, is there a way in nixos using that configuration to specify versions or have some kind of lock file? I always see these configuration examples but a new machine built would have all different versions of those things and I'd like to have one captured snapshot (like a Gemfile.lock or whatever JS uses now)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Less Fat Luke posted:

Since you're mentioning it I may as well ask, is there a way in nixos using that configuration to specify versions or have some kind of lock file? I always see these configuration examples but a new machine built would have all different versions of those things and I'd like to have one captured snapshot (like a Gemfile.lock or whatever JS uses now)
yeah totally this is the main idea behind Flakes

https://nixos.wiki/wiki/Flakes

https://nixos-and-flakes.thiscute.world/

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
you can basically declare specific overrides or versions normally without utilizing flakes but it's easier to just use flakes at that point

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Interesting! I do a bunch of contract work and keep each company's data in a different VM and it'd be super nice to build the VMs using this and be able to rollback whenever nvidia fucks up their drivers around ML stuff. This looks great, thanks!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I hate NVidia so much.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Eh it is what it is. Right now under Debian things are pretty rock solid day to day on the CUDA side of things but the newer Windows drivers added this insane poo poo where they overflow GPU memory into system memory and I'm trying to get ahead of that appearing in the Linux driver. It's workaroundable but also, jesus christ the whole reason for using a GPU is because it's 1000x faster than the CPU, what an insane feature.

I'd love to use AMD or anything else if they stepped up their game but it's loving laughable at this point.

VVV very on-topic, goddamn

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 9, 2023

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Upgraded to 39 on my laptop and got the "NVIDIA kernel module missing" error. Went back to 38 and removed everything nvidia related and reinstalled akmods and rebooted, which fixed it, just in case anyone else hits that problem.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Well Played Mauer posted:

Upgraded to 39 on my laptop and got the "NVIDIA kernel module missing" error. Went back to 38 and removed everything nvidia related and reinstalled akmods and rebooted, which fixed it, just in case anyone else hits that problem.

I think you've just described the correct upgrade path that we've all been complaining is missing from fedora documentation.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Akmods seems less brittle than dkms for whatever reason but you just run it and it updates? I guess the dnf system-upgrade method doesn't let you check if there's a module built before you reboot but there's one specific failure point to check if it doesn't work.. Im not sure how nixos or gentoo or whatever would fix that.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Klyith posted:

Could you do something like have a two GRUB entries to boot, one with non-free nvidia and one with noveau?

If you had that in your standard grub config, and Fedora does the same normal regeneration of grub config after a version upgrade as any other time, then you'd always have the option to boot the "safe" option. And noveau may suck but at least you'd have a desktop and a web browser, and you'd know that it was just nvidia trouble.

Dunno if this might also gently caress up your configs for like desktops & widgets in KDE or similar stuff.

This is probably the way, since we're talking about it I think my fix when these issues happened was to remove the nouveau blacklist from my grub command line which would then let me boot with nouveau and fix it.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

hifi posted:

Akmods seems less brittle than dkms for whatever reason but you just run it and it updates? I guess the dnf system-upgrade method doesn't let you check if there's a module built before you reboot but there's one specific failure point to check if it doesn't work.. Im not sure how nixos or gentoo or whatever would fix that.

What’s odd is I followed the documentation on my PC as well. I ran dnf upgrade —refresh and it picked up an nvidia upgrade on my PC. It didn’t for the laptop.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I recently discovered ripgrep, and now I want something like that to search through folders of PDFs. Does that exist?

zhar
May 3, 2019

busalover posted:

I recently discovered ripgrep, and now I want something like that to search through folders of PDFs. Does that exist?

See what rg has to say: https://github.com/BurntSushi/ripgrep/blob/master/GUIDE.md#preprocessor

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

One piece of information I picked up while fixing the Nvidia issues encountered when upgrading from Fedora 38 to 39 was that when running the commands to (re)install the necessary drivers is that you must leave your system running for a few minutes before rebooting. Apparently, just because your terminal finished what it is doing and says every thing is done, stuff is still running in the background which gets interrupted on a reboot, and the drivers do not install correctly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

busalover posted:

https://github.com/phiresky/ripgrep-all

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Dead Goon posted:

One piece of information I picked up while fixing the Nvidia issues encountered when upgrading from Fedora 38 to 39 was that when running the commands to (re)install the necessary drivers is that you must leave your system running for a few minutes before rebooting. Apparently, just because your terminal finished what it is doing and says every thing is done, stuff is still running in the background which gets interrupted on a reboot, and the drivers do not install correctly.

Yeah when I still had an nvidia card after running dnf upgrade I would run top and wait until all the compiling settled down before rebooting.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I assume Fedora is still using DKMS and it takes some time to finish compiling the kernel module for each installed kernel.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

weird that it doesn't block the dnf command until it's done

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Just had to do the same thing on my desktop and I let it sit overnight before running the system upgrade reboot command. What made that super fun is it didn’t even throw the module error up, it just stopped sending a signal to my monitors. Rebooting into 38 and doing the driver reinstall worked though.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

weird that it doesn't block the dnf command until it's done

I looked it up and it might actually be akmods and not DKMS (they do the same thing). Looking at fedora's akmods systemd units, it also tries to build modules at shutdown -- blocking shutdown until it's completed, but bails after 5 minutes. It can also run a systemd unit at boot time, but doesn't appear to block multiuser or graphical systems targets. But I'm not sure if that is enabled by default.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Is there a way to mount a gvfs mount from the command line?

I have some samba shares setup and there's a 'Places' entry in Thunar like "/shared/ on 192.168.x.y"... and if you click it it will auto-mount in /run/user/<uid>/gvfs/smb-share:server=blahblahblah/ using credentials it stored... somewhere? The keyring?

The issue is I have a couple apps that freak out if the share isn't mounted when they launch, and will flush their music libraries and other dumb poo poo. For now I've set the launcher to be a script that checks if the folder exists and doesn't launch if not, but it would be nice to trigger the mount from the command line, as if I had clicked on it in Thunar. But I can't really find exactly the right syntax, in particular how to use the same saved credentials.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Rescue Toaster posted:

Is there a way to mount a gvfs mount from the command line?

I have some samba shares setup and there's a 'Places' entry in Thunar like "/shared/ on 192.168.x.y"... and if you click it it will auto-mount in /run/user/<uid>/gvfs/smb-share:server=blahblahblah/ using credentials it stored... somewhere? The keyring?

The issue is I have a couple apps that freak out if the share isn't mounted when they launch, and will flush their music libraries and other dumb poo poo. For now I've set the launcher to be a script that checks if the folder exists and doesn't launch if not, but it would be nice to trigger the mount from the command line, as if I had clicked on it in Thunar. But I can't really find exactly the right syntax, in particular how to use the same saved credentials.

Add an entry to your fstab.

Here's a line I have on mine to auto-mount my local cifs chare.

code:
//192.168.7.228/Media/Media   /media/Media/   cifs   nofail,uid=1000,gid=1000,vers=2.0,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/core/.sambacreds
drop your creds in a file somewhere in home so you don't have them sitting in plain text in fstab

You may need to change gid/uid or some of the other stuff there depending on how your share is setup exactly.

The first ip address is the source of the share. the "/media/Media/" is where it will be mounted on the host. Make sure the directory exists before you set up the fstab entry.

your cred file should look like this

code:
username={username}
password={password}
replacing them with the approprate un/pw

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Sorry I should have said I know it's possible to mount it as root via fstab or systemd or something. Thank you though.

I'm genuinely interested if it's possible to do it with the same kind of gvfs mount somehow using the same credentials. When mounted this way they don't even show up with 'mount' in a terminal which is an interesting quirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

Sorry I should have said I know it's possible to mount it as root via fstab or systemd or something. Thank you though.

I'm genuinely interested if it's possible to do it with the same kind of gvfs mount somehow using the same credentials. When mounted this way they don't even show up with 'mount' in a terminal which is an interesting quirk.

/run/user/<uid>/gvfs/ is the mount