Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Rodgers 100% taught Love the bare minimum he could get away with, if for no other reason than to spite Gutekunst for daring to draft his replacement without even the slightest of heads up. If anything, Rodgers probably tried to sabotage Love's development.

If it wasn't Aaron leading the team into the playoffs, gently caress it. He hated the entire front office anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Cavauro posted:

you saying they're always the best? qbs?

They're weirdos OP

Nervous posted:

Rodgers 100% taught Love the bare minimum he could get away with, if for no other reason than to spite Gutekunst for daring to draft his replacement without even the slightest of heads up. If anything, Rodgers probably tried to sabotage Love's development.

If it wasn't Aaron leading the team into the playoffs, gently caress it. He hated the entire front office anyways.

Add to that it was no secret that Favre did not try to help Rodgers which is definitely something a man with no gruntles would pass on.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Gorson posted:

We know that Rodgers didn't trust Love to lead the team (or, refused to sit simply because of ego) because when Rodgers got hurt last year he wouldn't sit out so Love could develop.

I think it's less doesn't trust the kid and more "gently caress that guy, he's not taking my job." Like I think he's more likely to sit out if he knows the backup isn't a threat (the Peyton Manning school of backup QBs), but it's perfectly reasonable for Aaron to not want to give Love a chance when he knows the bosses are just looking for an excuse to replace him.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Yeah QB mentoring is not that much of a thing. It's among the reasons McCown had such a good reputation is he was willing to try to teach.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Yeah QB mentoring is not that much of a thing. It's among the reasons McCown had such a good reputation is he was willing to try to teach.

Haven't you seen that hanging out with Aaron Rodgers has made Zach Wilson good? smh

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

pseudodragon posted:

I think it's less doesn't trust the kid and more "gently caress that guy, he's not taking my job." Like I think he's more likely to sit out if he knows the backup isn't a threat (the Peyton Manning school of backup QBs), but it's perfectly reasonable for Aaron to not want to give Love a chance when he knows the bosses are just looking for an excuse to replace him.

I wouldn't doubt that. But at the time they were 4-8 and while Rodgers did lead them back to miss out on the playoffs in the most embarrassing fashion he should have stepped aside. He could barely grip the ball.

I don't see MLF getting fired this year under any circumstances, the Packers for better or worse are not a rebuild type organization you need an owner with a leathery face and hair trigger for that.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Gorson posted:

We really don't know what we have with Love, I predicted 3500yds 22td/14int something like that which these days is league average. League average is pretty good when you could be starting Tommy DeVito.

“Better than the third string QB on a team that doesn’t haven’t a starting quality QB on the roster” is a really generous way to look at things.

What you’re describing as league average is really just the minimum acceptable level of play that *might* keep you from getting replaced immediately. It’s an alright bar for a rookie but so far Love is below even that bar this year.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rodgers definitely thinks him sticking by Zach forever now is something that'll be seen as him disproving the haters about the Love situation, when in reality half of the fans think he's just finally accepting reality and realizing retirement's close, and the rest of us know Zach's going to be gone at the latest as soon as Rodgers is too (assuming someone competent/sane is in charge by then) and thus isn't a legit threat at "replacing" him

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Tricky Ed posted:

Yeah, the thing with betting odds is that they're predicting how the general public will wager, not necessarily what will happen. I imagine there's a negative Browns bump the same way there's a positive Cowboys bump just because of the general reputation of the teams.

If I'm a low-information gambler and I see that the Browns coach is getting decent odds to be fired, I'm gonna take that bet because lol Browns.

It's also a marketing tool to get people talking about BetOnline.com, the most legitimate gambling site Panama City has to offer

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Adam schefter was on the punter jocks show and talked about Tepper being known for being impatient and said changes at HC if Carolina doesn't turn it around would not be surprising.

Interesting he'd be so specific and so open about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Adam schefter was on the punter jocks show and talked about Tepper being known for being impatient and said changes at HC if Carolina doesn't turn it around would not be surprising.

Tepper is gonna have to change head coaches since he'll want to pay whoever he hires next in local currency.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The last month has absolutely bought KOC another year or two of almost guaranteed safety

The Falcons game should have bought him an entire year all on its own IMO. Pulling out a win while basically trying to remote program a QB on the field, even a seven-year veteran backup like Dobbs, is an UNBELIEVABLE feat of coaching.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Redeye Flight posted:

The Falcons game should have bought him an entire year all on its own IMO. Pulling out a win while basically trying to remote program a QB on the field, even a seven-year veteran backup like Dobbs, is an UNBELIEVABLE feat of coaching.

That game and keeping the team fighting in close matchups all last season are the reasons they’re calling him a coach of the year candidate on espn. I don’t think that list is really serious about the bottom few but they need some long odds guys

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Allen is very very bad and the Saints are only beating the absolute dregs. The man actively makes the team worse, hell there was a stretch late in the game with the Bears where they were only up 1 score and they kept punting on their own 40. It was maddening. As a Bucs fan I hope they keep him around bc that dude’s never doing better than like a 8-9 / 9-8 division win over a truly garbage NFC S division and even that’s his absolute ceiling

In general with the NFC South this year you gotta keep in mind we have the softest of soft schedules and still every team looks BAD

I can see what you mean, and Allen is definitely a mediocre coach, but I'm used to seeing defensive coaches do a poor job defensively for their teams, and I think the Saints D is one of their better aspects. If there was a way to get rid of the man at the top while not losing that edge, that'd be preferable for New Orleans.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Allen is very very bad and the Saints are only beating the absolute dregs. The man actively makes the team worse, hell there was a stretch late in the game with the Bears where they were only up 1 score and they kept punting on their own 40. It was maddening. As a Bucs fan I hope they keep him around bc that dude’s never doing better than like a 8-9 / 9-8 division win over a truly garbage NFC S division and even that’s his absolute ceiling

In general with the NFC South this year you gotta keep in mind we have the softest of soft schedules and still every team looks BAD

Punting it to Bagent so he could immediately throw it to a waiting defnmensive back is a brilliant strategy.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Probably Magic posted:

I can see what you mean, and Allen is definitely a mediocre coach, but I'm used to seeing defensive coaches do a poor job defensively for their teams, and I think the Saints D is one of their better aspects. If there was a way to get rid of the man at the top while not losing that edge, that'd be preferable for New Orleans.

DA taking a demotion as a hotshot OC comes in to be HC would be ideal for nola. Dude can clearly coach a defense and he seems to be able to turn any DB into an all pro. He just needs to be taken away from everything to do with the actual leading of a team.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Probably Magic posted:

The Saints D has faced a bunch of preschoolers this year.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The Saints D has faced a bunch of preschoolers this year.

It doesn't get any harder the rest of the year either.
Dobbs
Heinicke
Goff
Bryce
Devito?
Stafford?
Baker
Heinicke

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

wandler20 posted:

Dobbs
Heinicke
Goff
Bryce
Devito?
Stafford?
Baker
Heinicke

Might be able to sub Wentz in for Stafford at that point too!!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ghosthorse posted:

That game and keeping the team fighting in close matchups all last season are the reasons they’re calling him a coach of the year candidate on espn. I don’t think that list is really serious about the bottom few but they need some long odds guys

Yeah they need a few 50:1??? I can’t afford NOT to take a shot at that guys. Narrator: you could in fact afford not to take a shot of KOC being fired.

Arthur Smith not being on the list is way more baffling. Granted I don’t know how Atlanta’s ownership operates but it feels like his seat should only be about 5 degrees cooler than McDaniels.

wandler20 posted:

Dobbs
Heinicke
Goff
Bryce
Devito?
Stafford?
Baker
Heinicke

Half of the qbs in the league getting hurt and/or benched for performance sure has been something. Hopefully this draft class lives up to the hype cause it’s rough out there. Usually a couple times a year you look at the slate of games and wince. This year it’s like every drat week.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 9, 2023

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

wandler20 posted:

Dobbs
Heinicke
Goff
Bryce
Devito?
Stafford?
Baker
Heinicke

To come to the defense of the NFC North's honor, I think Goff is probably the most dangerous QB in the division right now and is seriously underappreciated, especially with how nasty the Lions' O-line can be. I'd also argue that the Vikings' O-line is seriously underappreciated, particularly if Darrisaw DOES come back, and the Vikes' WR corps -- even depleted as it is -- can kill you fifteen ways before the play clock hits zero. That being said, I think the Saints are going to be a BIG challenge for the Vikings.

As for the rest, there's two others I might call potentially challengeing. The Falcons are seriously struggling, of course, but in-divisional games are always insanity; likewise Baker and the Bucs may have lost that Texans game but they still put up 37 points on it. As for the rest, the Rams are still kind of a disaster, the Giants are ACTUALLY a disaster, and I don't want to look too hard at the Panthers lest the radioactivity sunburn my eyeballs.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Athletic had some stat that this season more rookie QBs have started than at any point since 1950. So it’s not your imagination that QBs are both younger and shittier than usual.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

wandler20 posted:

Dobbs
Heinicke
Goff
Bryce
Devito?
Stafford?
Baker
Heinicke

Malcolm Butler.txt

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

BlindSite posted:

Makes sense given the NBA just cycles through coaches like underwear.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

So Frank Reich’s job looks a bit more shaky after that fourth quarter drive right

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Camera cut to Tepper shaking his head

Bye Reich and/or Fitterer

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

Camera cut to Tepper shaking his head

Bye Reich and/or Fitterer

He can shake his head all he wants, but he's responsible for every single bit of this shitshow.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fire Frank Reich and replace him with Ryan Kalil

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Panthers got no talent but idk how much more you gotta see to say Reich aint it. This team isnt even scrappy like the first year dan campbell lions

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/lt4kicks/status/1722829222849241266

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I don't think Frank Reich gets fired in season, it's his first year there but man is this poo poo rough and that looks like a team thats just lost

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

ozymandius1024 posted:

He can shake his head all he wants, but he's responsible for every single bit of this shitshow.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Master Stur posted:

Panthers got no talent but idk how much more you gotta see to say Reich aint it. This team isnt even scrappy like the first year dan campbell lions

They aren't even scrappy like LAST YEAR'S PANTHERS.

That this team ditched Sam Darnold and PJ Walker and still look appreciably worse despite drafting a QB #1 overall is loving astounding.

But hey, it's not like offensive savants like Ben McAdoo grow on trees, right?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

shyduck posted:

I don't think Frank Reich gets fired in season, it's his first year there but man is this poo poo rough and that looks like a team thats just lost

I’d normally agree but Tepper apparently wanted Bryce and Bryce looks like poo poo so Tepper might fire Reich just to try and salvage the pick.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

ozymandius1024 posted:

They aren't even scrappy like LAST YEAR'S PANTHERS.

That this team ditched Sam Darnold and PJ Walker and still look appreciably worse despite drafting a QB #1 overall is loving astounding.

But hey, it's not like offensive savants like Ben McAdoo grow on trees, right?

What you say is also true. I was thinking about the lions in the sense that DanMCs first year by W-L was pretty bad but you could just tell the team was bought in and lacked talent. This team looks neither bought in nor does their supposed new talent look good. It's hopeless.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I mean, the Panthers looked like a considerably worse team than the 2023 Chicago Bears. They needed a punt return TD to be in the game at all! That’s loving dire.

As is having so little confidence in the QB you selected #1 overall that you would rather have your kicker attempt a field goal he clearly doesn’t have the leg to actually make as opposed to putting the ball in your young QB’s hands on 4th&10.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’d normally agree but Tepper apparently wanted Bryce and Bryce looks like poo poo so Tepper might fire Reich just to try and salvage the pick.

Going to need to get some "Locker Room in Chaos!" stories in the press going, and then dump him in December.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You have to get Frank Reich the gently caress out of there immediately. Ruining your #1 overall QB is grounds for immediate termination. Remove him before Bryce is unfixable.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Kirios posted:

You have to get Frank Reich the gently caress out of there immediately. Ruining your #1 overall QB is grounds for immediate termination. Remove him before Bryce is unfixable.

The issue is you're probably not going to attract the cream of the crop when you're firing people immediately. Regardless of how much money Tepper throws around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ozymandius1024 posted:

The issue is you're probably not going to attract the cream of the crop when you're firing people immediately. Regardless of how much money Tepper throws around.

100%
how do you sell yourself to any head coaching candidate (let alone any worth hiring) when you have essentially fired 3 coaches in a calendar year, your offense has no weapons and a soft o-line, your best defensive player is about to leave in free agency & you don't have a first-round pick