Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Tohoku is legit fun and I wish we had more time to explore. Lots of places on our list we didn't have time for.

I am back in the states and someone already gave me a cold.

I'm talking tomorrow about a coordinator position with the NPO I was working with. If it's a full time salary job I think I'm going to take it. Will have me traveling to Japan 2x a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I've never seen a more gaijin

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AHH F/UGH posted:

Jin gai so what

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nessus posted:

Jin gai so what

lol

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

So similar to all those foreclosed exurban houses, except at least you'd be near Inakasburg and it might have a train station.

I’ve seen listings that said “Nearest Station: whatever (25 km away),” so no, not necessarily. Gonna need a kei car at least.

And from my experience in the inaka, you can get around just on trains if you live close to a station, but when trains come twice an hour and the last one from the closest city is 9 pm, you’re going to be adjusting your lifestyle. As well, I know some JRs are looking at how to replace old and under-performing train lines with buses.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

He looks kinda douchey, but well groomed thin guy in well fitting clothing is not exactly my mental image of a typical foreigner in Japan.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I don't know how gaijin he is, but he's 3000% Beavis with a dye job.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
He's delaying a decision on that hairline for sure, which is a stereotypical gaijin thing, especially for English teachers.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

He runs a successful real estate agency and youtube channel. Perfectly nice dude.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Considering the amounts of real estate offices everywhere here, I have no idea how you could fail to run a real estate agency here.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Mister Chief posted:

Perfectly nice dude.
I remember when everybody said this about that other guy.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Gabriel Grub posted:

He looks kinda douchey, but well groomed thin guy in well fitting clothing is not exactly my mental image of a typical foreigner in Japan.

We found his account lads

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I remember when everybody said this about that other guy.

I think it was just one poster saying that.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

I'm fat, wear Uniqlo almost exclusively, and get my hair cut at QB House.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Midjack posted:

I think it was just one poster saying that.
That poster is the guy I'm talking about.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Gabriel Grub posted:

I'm fat, wear Uniqlo almost exclusively, and get my hair cut at QB House.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Isn't that the guy from some Chris Broad video?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

Isn't that the guy from some Chris Broad video?

Yes and he’s shown up on a few other channels. He has his own channel as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R00nRCogLqc

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Zettace posted:

Regional JR passes can still be good value if you plan a trip around it. There's no regional JR pass that covers the Tokyo-Osaka route but there are for places like Tohoku, Osaka-Hiroshima, Kyushu, etc. So you could just make a trip where you spend a couple of days just training around Tohoku or you can fly into Kyushu and train around the area for a couple of days.

Not to be that guy but there’s still the hokuriku arch pass at 26k for 7 days. But you have to take the 3 hour thunderbird into Osaka/Kyoto from Kanazawa

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Stupid question but while I'm in Japan, I'm probably not gonna be eating a lot of vegetables if I'm honest. I usually have a mixed green salad for both lunch and dinner. I've been eating extra healthy leading up to the trip (and Thanksgiving) by largely cutting out processed foods and any added sugar. I already drink alcohol very rarely as it is.

I generally like vegetables, and Japanese pickles are delicious, but while on vacation I wanna have meat and carbs and sugar. I'd also like to have some highballs, sake, maybe some whiskey while I'm there too.

Any recommendations for a green drink I can buy at a convenience store so I don't get scurvy or whatever? Taste isn't too big of a deal since it's meant to be for health, but if it doesn't taste like socks, that's a nice bonus.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 8, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Half the drinks are green tea, so I think you will be okay.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Nanigans posted:

Stupid question but while I'm in Japan, I'm probably not gonna be eating a lot of vegetables if I'm honest. I usually have a mixed green salad for both lunch and dinner. I've been eating extra healthy leading up to the trip (and Thanksgiving) by largely cutting out processed foods and any added sugar. I already drink alcohol very rarely as it is.

I generally like vegetables, and Japanese pickles are delicious, but while on vacation I wanna have meat and carbs and sugar. I'd also like to have some highballs, sake, maybe some whiskey while I'm there too.

Any recommendations for a green drink I can buy at a convenience store so I don't get scurvy or whatever? Taste isn't too big of a deal since it's meant to be for health, but if it doesn't taste like socks, that's a nice bonus.

Are you going to ask them to not include any kind of vegetables with that meat and carbs? I guess if you only ate fast food youd just get lettuce on burgers but I'm trying to remember the meals I ate if any of them didnt include some veggies as a side if not part of the main dish. Kind of in the same vein as people asking if they can avoid rice or seafood that occasionally in this thread... like yeah you could but youd have to put effort into it.

edit:

Waltzing Along posted:

Half the drinks are green tea, so I think you will be okay.

The gently caress they are not! You would not believe the amount of times I thought I was getting green tea and it was loving barley tea. That poo poo can gently caress right off, and for some god forsaken reason thats the only tea they stock the vending machines at Disneysea. Green bottle does not equal green tea

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 8, 2023

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Umeshu usually has a green tint to it, or is that the bottle?

I usually just picked up whatever fruit smoothie looked good. The Kagome brand juice was good, but half the fun of going to 7-11 in a foreign country is picking up random poo poo.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blackchamber posted:

Are you going to ask them to not include any kind of vegetables with that meat and carbs? I guess if you only ate fast food youd just get lettuce on burgers but I'm trying to remember the meals I ate if any of them didnt include some veggies as a side if not part of the main dish. Kind of in the same vein as people asking if they can avoid rice or seafood that occasionally in this thread... like yeah you could but youd have to put effort into it.

Hahah, nah. I'm not planning to avoid vegetables specifically. I just remembered the last time I went and it was a lot of rice and fish and meat and sweets and the occasional cabbage and some pickled veggies, but not a lot of say, spinach or broccoli, etc.

I do love green tea and matcha, but yeah, I meant more in the smoothie/veggie juice kinda way. I'll just look for something that has vegetables on the bottle and looks good. Like I said, stupid question!

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 8, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There are various vegetable juice/smoothie drinks in small single-serving bottles or cartons sold in every convenience store. I like having one as part of breakfast.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

nielsm posted:

There are various vegetable juice/smoothie drinks in small single-serving bottles or cartons sold in every convenience store. I like having one as part of breakfast.

Any of em you recommend?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

All of them. I haven't disliked any but also don't have any specific favorite.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Looks for anything that says 青汁.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My breakfast every morning was 7-Eleven pancakes with maple syrup and I’m sure that eating those every single day for a fortnight definitely had no adverse effects on my attempted weight loss.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Kagome brand have many vegetable drinks. V8 is sold here too.

Every convenience store sells vegetables and salads.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My problem was there wasn’t enough of the vegetables. The portions just felt too small, and I’m critical of huge American portions.

We were doing 20-30k steps a day so our calorie needs were pretty high.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yakiniku has vegetables.

People tell me wow, Japanese food is so healthy, and I'm like yes, sometimes, except for when it's really not.

Japan is good at fried food and I like fried food.

Edit: mugicha is common for children that's why it's at Disneyland

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 9, 2023

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Mugicha rules, don't hate

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always eat staggering amounts of karaage. A day without karaage is a day wasted.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Riptor posted:

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Planning a day trip to Kobe and naturally would like to eat some Kobe beef while I'm there. Any recommendations? Lunch or dinner is fine, but needs to be somewhere I can reserve beforehand as a gaijin. I have Wakkoqu penciled in for now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Virtue posted:

Planning a day trip to Kobe and naturally would like to eat some Kobe beef while I'm there. Any recommendations? Lunch or dinner is fine, but needs to be somewhere I can reserve beforehand as a gaijin. I have Wakkoqu penciled in for now.

Mouriya is one of the big classics. Reserving is no problem and they speak some English.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Riptor posted:

That’s right

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Took some friends new to Japan to a eatery and the free drink was mugicha. They were like "eww what is this". By the end of their stay mugicha was the only bottled drink they would drink lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mugicha is good but if you're expecting green tea and get mugicha I can see it being offputting. Like all the times in your first six months in Asia where you think you're getting chocolate and surprise, it's red bean again.

E: Of course real heads get hojicha.