Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Dokapon Findom posted:

Why would an intelligent species kill the planet it needs to live

The question is invalid. It is based on false assumptions. Individual humans can be smart. The species is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dokapon Findom posted:

Why would an intelligent species kill the planet it needs to live

There really are "conspiracies" in the sense that people do conspire together, but mainstream "conspiracy theories" are a way for the believer to reassure themselves that the world isn't a bunch of chaos being managed by glorified apes. For example the idea that surely we wouldn't destroy ourselves, surely someone is secretly in control? It is seductive. It is a form of Bargaining.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i'm a firm believer we live in the veep/billions/succession cinematic universe, where there *are* lots of rich people "in charge" and actively doing conspiracy stuff all day every day

but also that there are so many of them that it still nets out to a sortof nihlistic/cybernetic system-dynamics-doing-emergent-poo poo effect where no ones collectively in control of anything

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
i believe we're being drained of our resources by the annanaki who live on the moon

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

if you tell me we are in the Veep universe then my takeaway is that no one in power has any real vision other than their own grasp for power

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

drain me, moon daddy

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

bawfuls posted:

if you tell me we are in the Veep universe then my takeaway is that no one in power has any real vision other than their own grasp for power

Yep you got it. The world is the 1%'s personal game of Hungry Hungry Hippos trying to grab up as much money and power as possible. It's all about money and social climbing. The equivalent of why Outlook changes it's UI every 6 months: Someone wanted a project that didn't need to happen just so they can say they did it and prove to the gatekeeper above them to give them more.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
i had thought there were drought and related issues earlier but anyway,

https://apnews.com/article/climate-change-drought-syria-iraq-iran-bd1c8458da5fbd2be766b25ecd86e958

https://apnews.com/article/iran-middle-east-business-world-news-syria-3b8569a74d798b9923e2a8b812fa1fca

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Also people who actually work in US politics will happily tell you that Veep is the show which most closely resembles reality

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Well it's hosed and we're locked into the west antarctic ice sheets falling in even if emissions stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_BoZDS1gjU

If emissions don't go down the east will fall in too. Timetable, like end of century at best

Tl;dr: "Hope is not appropriate." Courage is adaptation, we need to work with the end we have & plan for 2200. not next fiscal quarter, not next election.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

*sigh* okay, you see this number? this one right here? it goes up. UP! not down. up!

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
everyone should bury their heads in the soil and exhale deeply

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah obviously The King is correct in the long view, but my understanding is there are a bunch of just terrible almost useless lignite coal out there that obviously makes little sense to burn so we mostly haven't yet...but hey, why not.

whats lignite

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

drain me, moon daddy

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I don't know what's lignite with you?

brown coal. low energy value per unit of weight. bulky. dirty. using brown coal is one of the reasons power plants and steel mills would be built directly on or near coal fields. transporting brown coal makes it a loser almost immediately.

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU

cat botherer posted:

Yeah probably, given how often hunters shoot people's malamutes after mistaking them for wolves.

They do look very similar to wolves, except for almost everything about them.

I've had people mistake my dog for a "baby wolf" and run away in fear.

I own a shiba inu.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah obviously The King is correct in the long view, but my understanding is there are a bunch of just terrible almost useless lignite coal out there that obviously makes little sense to burn so we mostly haven't yet...but hey, why not.

bedpan posted:

brown coal. low energy value per unit of weight. bulky. dirty. using brown coal is one of the reasons power plants and steel mills would be built directly on or near coal fields. transporting brown coal makes it a loser almost immediately.

It's fine, we'll just coke it at the mine, and then suddenly it's worth transporting again. Might even coke it with microwaves powered by hydroelectricity in some places, not like we'd use that electricity for anything else!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Clean coal, it's a beautiful thing. Has a shine to it.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Lignite balls

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

real dark Radio Ecoshock episode this week. but the 90s vibes and nostalgia it gives off balance it out

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Dokapon Findom posted:

Lignite balls

what's balls

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ballmer-developers.wma

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

drain me, moon daddy

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Jizzny Princess posted:

I own a shiba inu.
Once a little girl pointed at my dog and said "Look daddy its a werewolf!" She still wanted to pet him though. :3:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

that’s a good kid

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Mine also gets the "look mommy a wolf!" comment from time to time :shittydog:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Jizzny Princess posted:

I own a shiba inu.

they were right to run but wrong in thinking that they could run fast enough

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

r u ready to WALK posted:

Mine also gets the "look mommy a wolf!" comment from time to time :shittydog:

looks like a good post apocalyptic conpanion

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

TeenageArchipelago posted:

now that I really think about it, I think that the last bit of hope died for me in 2020 when Bernie lost, but tbqh the past few years have shown that I believed way too much in him

For me it was when Corbyn came dangerously close to becoming PM here, and the unified switch every part of the establishment and the media took from "look at this hopeless leftie" to "the most dangerous man in Britain".

But I think Covid was the real crack-ping. Two centuries of increasing knowledge of how diseases spread, how to counter them, how to stop infections reaching epidemic levels, how to trace outbreaks. We had international systems in place to cope with this as epidemiologists everywhere knew a pandemic-level event was coming at some point.

Here was a clear and immediate threat to human life and we could have eradicated it as quickly as it appeared, but at the expense of short-term profits. So we didn't. That's when I really understood that some vague danger decades in the future was never going to be addressed. The future doesn't exist beyond next quarter's balance sheet.

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
COVID was (and still is!) the ultimate crack ping bc it showed anyone with their head out of the sand that people dont give a gently caress and will normalize absolutely anything, and theyll ruthlessly antagonize anyone who dares to take the smallest precautions in a life or death situation. u become neo seeing the 1s and 0s in the matrix except they're "lol" and "lmao"

There is a zero percent chance climate change gets solved or mitigated, its full speed ahead. radical acceptance is your only choice

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Argentum posted:

COVID was (and still is!) the ultimate crack ping bc it showed anyone with their head out of the sand that people dont give a gently caress and will normalize absolutely anything, and theyll ruthlessly antagonize anyone who dares to take the smallest precautions in a life or death situation. u become neo seeing the 1s and 0s in the matrix except they're "lol" and "lmao"

There is a zero percent chance climate change gets solved or mitigated, its full speed ahead. radical acceptance is your only choice

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

*sigh* okay, you see this number? this one right here? it goes up. UP! not down. up!

Mean surface air temperature?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Old James posted:

Mean surface air temperature?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/09/climate/global-warming-hottest-year-history-climate-intl/index.html

that's right

quote:

“We have become all too used to climate records falling like dominoes in recent years,” David Reay, executive director of the Edinburgh Climate Change Institute at the University of Edinburgh, told CNN. “But 2023 is a whole different ball game in terms of the massive margin by which these records have been broken.”

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that's right

e: :hf:

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Argentum posted:

A few months into COVID I was feeling mighty crack-pinged and the way I described it to a friend was that there were now three existential threats facing humanity (and/or my localized bubble in the USA), which were in order of least to most threatening:

• A deadly pandemic -- killing thousands a day
  • The decline of labor power in the face of capital aggregation and inevitable automation -- ushering in a new gilded age
  • Carbon emissions etc causing irreversible damage to the environment -- rendering the earth nearly uninhabitable and causing massive loss of life due to heat, agricultural knock-on effects, and more desperate resource wars

... and that the public reaction to COVID proved that all three would go exactly as poorly as I was worried about.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Rolling coal but only because I want to see a hypercane

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Argentum posted:

0% chance of any mitigation is a pretty low bar. Even China alone achieving their 5 year plan climate goals would be some mitigation.

Likewise, I think this implies the current western economic system remains resilient and strong for the next few decades, because a collapse of that system would certainly be a massive mitigation in emissions.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Its like laptop cooling. The more you cool, the higher it clocks only to downclock anyway. We live in a beautiful world.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Argentum posted:

I honestly thought I broke about as hard as I could way back when I was still doing volunteer stuff, but COVID completely shattered me in ways that I didn't really expect. It's not just that we won't do anything, it's that we'll rip up the floorboards and tear out the copper of our society before we'll imagine for one second a world that looks slightly different than the one that we have now. Any perceived voluntary loss in quality of life will be met with the most absurd and violent overreaction imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Argentum posted: