Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/lasvegassun/status/1722355385254793440?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'm out of touch what the gently caress is the sphere

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

I'm out of touch what the gently caress is the sphere

it's a big sphere tv

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The project was way over budget, partly due to the pandemic. But it’s weird that they’re not doing well because Vegas is absolutely booming right now and only looks to get bigger with the new F1 race.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Last Chance posted:

it's a big sphere tv

Thanks

Ooh ah TV but sphere?!
Vegas is loving stupid

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Now consider that Musk has lost two hundred and fifty times this amount on Twitter to date.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

RagnarokZ posted:

It's some completely useless corpo monstrosity that's going to poo poo out endless steams of algorithmically generated garbage for years to come: https://futurism.com/the-byte/gaming-sites-writers-ai-editor

Completely without realize that all that algo-junk is painfully dull and absurdly easy to spot.

That sounds like a problem for whoever takes over after this rear end in a top hat golden parachutes away to find a new thing to ruin.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Apparently the Zero Punctuation/Escapist stuff made the BBC. In the two days since the initial walkout they've already started a Patreon that's up to 1500 members, and roughly fifty thousand subscribers on their YouTube channel.

They did a stream tonight at the same time Zero Punctuation would have gone up. The way things stand right now, they've basically got the entire Escapist video crew under their wing. After a few weeks they'll switch to an early access model, with shows launching a week early on Patreon. They're planning a number of weekly shows, including a Zero Punctuation style review show under the name Fully Ramblomatic.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Probably not even big ticket bands want to pay what they want to charge to play music there. If you’re big enough to afford that venue you don’t need it to draw people to your show.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Probably not even big ticket bands want to pay what they want to charge to play music there. If you’re big enough to afford that venue you don’t need it to draw people to your show.

That's too bad. Its probably the coolest led installation in the world.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Those Spirit Halloween ‘shop memes are becoming reality

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

The Sphere thing seems like a lot of nothing (?) to me because it is for the Quarter ending 9/30, and.... it opened on 9/29. So it makes sense that a massive long-term event space that is a technological wonder didn't make money when it wasn't able to do one of its main revenue generating functions :confused:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spazzle posted:

That's too bad. Its probably the coolest led installation in the world.

Nah that’d be Tokyo street lights or something.

Saving energy is cool. :coal:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

SgtScruffy posted:

The Sphere thing seems like a lot of nothing (?) to me because it is for the Quarter ending 9/30, and.... it opened on 9/29. So it makes sense that a massive long-term event space that is a technological wonder didn't make money when it wasn't able to do one of its main revenue generating functions :confused:

It went way over budget, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Skios posted:

Apparently the Zero Punctuation/Escapist stuff made the BBC. In the two days since the initial walkout they've already started a Patreon that's up to 1500 members, and roughly fifty thousand subscribers on their YouTube channel.

They did a stream tonight at the same time Zero Punctuation would have gone up. The way things stand right now, they've basically got the entire Escapist video crew under their wing. After a few weeks they'll switch to an early access model, with shows launching a week early on Patreon. They're planning a number of weekly shows, including a Zero Punctuation style review show under the name Fully Ramblomatic.

Heh, using the name of Yahtzee's old site, that's cute.

Also always lol when all the actual talent quits and then just gets back to work like almost nothing happened.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

SgtScruffy posted:

Woah now, we can't have any kind of long-term thinking on that! What matters is that it is not profitable RIGHT NOW!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks

Ooh ah TV but sphere?!
Vegas is loving stupid
No you don't get it.

It's really big.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It seems pretty cool to me from what I have read/what vids I have watched. Extremely ambitious. Maybe too much so?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

SgtScruffy posted:

The Sphere thing seems like a lot of nothing (?) to me because it is for the Quarter ending 9/30, and.... it opened on 9/29. …
Aha, good catch; shoveling losses into one quarter to make the next one a ‘surprise turnaround’ thus enabling lots of executive bonuses is not a new thing.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Obligatory tumblr link

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that does not sound link drain-circling to me

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It actually sounds like what people wanted tumblr to be doing for the past several years: Stop focusing on trying to make it a huge growth social media site and just focus on what people actually use it for:

https://www.tumblr.com/photomatt/733540451795206144/hey-genuine-question-although-im-not-honestly?source=share posted:

To your broader point, though, one thing I'm hoping with a more focused approach in 2024 is that we can streamline some of the extra things that were launched (like Live) that haven't gotten the adoption we hoped, and focus in on the core functionality that people use a ton of on Tumblr. We will likely be shipping less new stuff and more focused on improving existing functionality and core flows.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Noblesse Obliged posted:

It’s not just bands Spider man 2 did a thing with the sphere when it launched last month

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
The sphere in person (from the outside, anywhere within probably 0.5-1 mile) is obscenely and impressively big. It doesn’t look real. That’s kind of saying a lot against the backdrop of the Vegas strip. It’s pretty cool.

I would probably never pay whatever they charge to see a show inside.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Every night I'm gonna get buzzed and then remember about the sphere and then get mad about the sphere again

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Subjunctive posted:

that does not sound link drain-circling to me

tumblr has been circling the drain for 16 years, it's pretty amazing

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I remember someone sending me a video of the u2 concert in the sphere, think this is the one (doesn't seem to open on firefox mobile for me)

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZGe1eBo8e/

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Well, it's hard for the Sphere to be profitable when the CEO is having the Sphere pay 70 million in fees to his other MSG companies.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Haifisch posted:

It actually sounds like what people wanted tumblr to be doing for the past several years: Stop focusing on trying to make it a huge growth social media site and just focus on what people actually use it for:

"we can streamline some of the extra things that were launched (like Live) that haven't gotten the adoption we hoped, "

No poo poo the blogging website made of bloggers whose main use of the site was to post pictures and text did not immediately adopt the Live streaming function that is both doo doo ca ca and also steals your data to sell to data banks and also they have tiktok / IG accounts. Why would they ever use livestreaming on tumblr.

Has this thread heard of how trans women are being targeted and harassed by one or more of the tumblr staff? As in they've had SFW fully clothed selfies from 5+ years ago flagged as Mature Content, their accounts had been mass flagged and shadow banned, and had zero help reporting transmisogynist blogs that go unbanned for TOS breaking harassment.

These women even tested copy pastes of innocuous posts, switching out women / trans women for men / trans men, and only the posts talking about trans women have been flagged for mature content. Not even manually reporting the posts about men / cis women would get them flagged for mature content.

Also the staff who are open about being employed by tumblr are so godawful and snide to users. Cyle is the worst. Well, second worst. The worst being the transphobic harry potter stan that went scorched partyjockers for pointing out they like harry potter and maybe that's why terfs and racists weren't getting banned from tumblr.

I'm just waiting to get banned for being openly anti zionist, personally. Because the current CEO, photomatt, is an open zionist on twitter, you see.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Does it count as drain circling if the websites never made any money to start with? I feel like it's saying a cruise ship is on a maiden voyage, and the starting point is the footpath to Davey Jones' locker.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
What got me to turn notifications off for Tumblr (and thus never look at again) is the daily spam account follows. Like I get that is part of social media but I would open the app, see that none of my friends were posting anymore each time, and decided I didn't want to be reminded of it anymore.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

They’ve achieved a stable orbit around it

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
tumblr achieved a certain rapport in its user base that it will likely live on like the zombie that is this site. I assume twitter/facebook/reddit will follow a similar arc. Hell LiveJournal still exists, even though it is basically a Russian propaganda outlet now

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I use Tumblr for memes. But for every funny or cute cat picture there's like 20 ads about what girls really want and it's the same crap over and over again. Girls don't want flowers or engagement ring, they want a 16th century necklace that turns into a sphere! Or some kind of plush kitten in a shark costume, or something to do with a dragon lamp that I see listed pretty much everywhere.

I thought the purpose of ads was to make you want to buy something, but when you see the same ads over and over again does not just desensitize you to it? Or is the thought process if you see so much of something, eventually you want to buy it?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cowslips Warren posted:

Or is the thought process if you see so much of something, eventually you want to buy it?

The same way that I have come to enjoy when New Rules by Dua Lipa comes on despite my thinking its trash

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

I use Tumblr for memes. But for every funny or cute cat picture there's like 20 ads about what girls really want and it's the same crap over and over again. Girls don't want flowers or engagement ring, they want a 16th century necklace that turns into a sphere! Or some kind of plush kitten in a shark costume, or something to do with a dragon lamp that I see listed pretty much everywhere.

I thought the purpose of ads was to make you want to buy something, but when you see the same ads over and over again does not just desensitize you to it? Or is the thought process if you see so much of something, eventually you want to buy it?

It's a problem with hyper-targeted ad tracking algorithms, but advertising is largely a cargo cult anyhow. If the priests of marketing make the right sacrifices and arrange offerings in pleasing patterns then the gods of profit will be pleased and will reward the tribe with greater market share.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm not a girl but a 16th century necklace that turns into an orb sphere sounds pretty darn good.

:orb:

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

the holy poopacy posted:

It's a problem with hyper-targeted ad tracking algorithms, but advertising is largely a cargo cult anyhow. If the priests of marketing make the right sacrifices and arrange offerings in pleasing patterns then the gods of profit will be pleased and will reward the tribe with greater market share.

Ads in prior decades used to be about the products themselves, commercials were more often just bullet point lists of the product's features and innovations.

What interests me is the collateral damage of advertising in general. Any (modern) ad which sells a product now sells it with another product, and that product is an identity. The products are less relevant than the priests of marketing directly telling you these objects are what women/men want. While marketing was once considered a window into society, it's now more their window into us. Or at least, the people who don't run adblockers. And so tumblr has data on who is a woman- which is less important to marketers than data on who's interested in being told what women want.

Identity-based marketing operates by creating a gap between viewer and an ideal self, creating an anxiety that can only be mitigated by the product. As people become more socially isolated and devote more of their time to traditional media and social media, the authority on identity shifts from people in our personal lives and onto that media. Even if people can 100% believe that they've broken free from society's arbitrary expectations, they will still seek out some other entity to define labels and say who is and isn't a real XYZ. Except those entities will do it to sell something. Or drive engagement. Society can be cruel to certain people, but what about an industry who's survival depends on you never reaching your ideal self? Youth suicide rates have skyrocketed over the past 15 years in a way that can't be tied to worsening living conditions, or declining access to mental health resources

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Vegetable posted:

The project was way over budget, partly due to the pandemic. But it’s weird that they’re not doing well because Vegas is absolutely booming right now and only looks to get bigger with the new F1 race.

This race?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-11-15/formula-one-suffers-soft-ticket-sales-falling-room-rates-in-las-vegas

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

je1 healthcare posted:

Youth suicide rates have skyrocketed over the past 15 years in a way that can't be tied to worsening living conditions, or declining access to mental health resources

Kids were lovely enough 30 years ago, when memories of your hugely embarrassing fuckup could gracefully fade from memory after a year or so, and if someone wanted to gently caress with you, they had to do it in person, and poo poo talking you required actually talking to people about you.

Thanks to modern technology, those embarrassing moments are captured forever on the internet, and people can casually poo poo on you from the comfort of their smartphone. And a funny or clever meme featuring you loving up will now haunt you forever and ever and ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah Vegas isn’t doing so hot right now lol

This doesn’t help at all