Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Let her go, one rotten villager spoils the bunch, as demonstrated later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just ran 2-3 commissions every day. Still don't have a tailoring machine.

Poor Mi-an. I don't think I've ever even seen Slack.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like to think the other 2 builders wake up at 4 am every 3 days, nab one easy request, then finish it as late as they can, taking the rest of the time to just relax and sleep.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The other two builders just go out at 4am and wreck all the poo poo they can find. It's why there is so much scrap and broken crates every single day.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
you actually do get to meet Slack at the yearly awards ceremony

I find them annoying so I don't mind that they're not around all the other days of the year

Also, I've never had a problem with messy, disorganized chests because I am a hoarder in this kind of game; selling poo poo is for other people, I make my money off commissions and side quests as God intended. The only time this has ever been a real issue is when looking for things to give as gifts - but then, I rarely bother giving out gifts, because if I'm trying to grind for relationship points, three rounds of Critters will get you just as many points as a loved gift if you win at least one of the rounds (and honestly it's hard not to).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Critters is a really slow way to play rock paper scissors and Id rather give gifts than do critters at all, let alone to grind relationship.

I also just hoarded so all commissions are done before they even spawn, but you also end up with enough excess to start just crafting loved gifts. Catori has some desk she loves I can dump my excess hardwood into. Lots of jewelery is loved as well and you end up with a ton of stuff for those that not much else needs. Only annoying part there is they don't stack. I'm too lazy to store them so I just give everyone that day the same jewelery loved or not lol.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Megazver posted:

um, uh, p-please don't!?

Ginger 2.0 (Ginger dies in Portia after year 5, but the devs added a way to keep her alive later)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This very early quest is asking me to make a crane. Where do I get "bearings" (and the mechanical scrap that allows me to produce them)? Previously it was mentioned that I'd have access to some place for 7 days, and I went to what I thought was the place in question and some guy said something about wild robots and wouldn't let me in.

I'm absolutely missing something very obvious here, but I don't know what.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ytlaya posted:

This very early quest is asking me to make a crane. Where do I get "bearings" (and the mechanical scrap that allows me to produce them)? Previously it was mentioned that I'd have access to some place for 7 days, and I went to what I thought was the place in question and some guy said something about wild robots and wouldn't let me in.

You're in the right place, just wrong side. Go to the right side of that building and through THAT gate and mine the scrap. You'll get mechanical scrap that has a chance of recycling into bearings.

Wild robot gate is later.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ytlaya posted:

The quest markers tell you to go get some scrap for it. You need to recycle mechanical scrap. It will also tell you in the handbook if you open the crane page.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rynoto posted:

You're in the right place, just wrong side. Go to the right side of that building and through THAT gate and mine the scrap. You'll get mechanical scrap that has a chance of recycling into bearings.

Wild robot gate is later.

Ah thanks, this explains the issue.

Is there any reason for me to worry about being "slow"? I read online that you can change the game speed, so I'm thinking about doing that at least until I get my bearings. It seems like the crane itself doesn't have a time limit, but the calendar still has events happening on specific dates.

(Speaking of the calendar, is there any way to change the month of your birthday during character creation? It seemed like I could only put it within a single month)

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Ytlaya posted:

(Speaking of the calendar, is there any way to change the month of your birthday during character creation? It seemed like I could only put it within a single month)

This threw me at first too, but there is an arrow off to the side of the calendar that lets you change the month. The weird part is that it only lets you scroll from the beginning of the year to the end, and not directly between spring and winter.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Ah thanks, this explains the issue.

Is there any reason for me to worry about being "slow"? I read online that you can change the game speed, so I'm thinking about doing that at least until I get my bearings. It seems like the crane itself doesn't have a time limit, but the calendar still has events happening on specific dates.

There's no penalty for being slow, and I think you'd have to play deliberately slow or just refuse to do any activities to reach a point where you'd have a hard time completing quests and becoming number 1 builder.

I do recommend lowering the speed, I'd have days with stamina left but no time to burn it, or days where I went exploring and didn't have time.to do all my duties. No penalty except feeling like you went to bed with today's chores undone.

The default speed just felt a bit too fast and honestly am just not a big fan of compressed time in these kinda games.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ytlaya posted:

No. The time limits are very generous when they even exist. You can freely change your game speed from 0.6 to 3.0 (lower is slower) so it's worth changing depending on what you're doing. The events are for equipment and cosmetics and fun.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
the most strict timing thing in the game is in the morning when you race mi-an to the commission board for the sweet gigs

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Sloober posted:

the most strict timing thing in the game is in the morning when you race mi-an to the commission board for the sweet gigs

Do you just have Higgins ptsd cause this is not a thing in Sandrock.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I just have a commission board right by my bed... I'd sleep in bed with it if I could

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Do you just have Higgins ptsd cause this is not a thing in Sandrock.

Are you sure? I've definitely noticed some days have different numbers of commissions on them. Specifically, some days I only see 3 commission options on the board if I get there later in the day instead of the normal 4.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

LLSix posted:

Are you sure? I've definitely noticed some days have different numbers of commissions on them. Specifically, some days I only see 3 commission options on the board if I get there later in the day instead of the normal 4.

It's not a thing, 100% sure cause I have a commission board outside my house. Commissions all have a set end date and theres just one free city commission per week. Also theres 2 pages for commissions.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I mean I've restarted days because I missed the window and nabbed a request that wasn't there before or because I just wanted to start it the night before if it was something I was short on. If it's really not a feature that's a shame. I guess in practical terms I always beat her to it anyway so it wouldn't make a difference anyway, but it felt good thinking I won a race every day.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Gifts definitely take more than a single day to recover from gift decay. I'm getting a lot more friendship points by waiting a full week before giving the same gift again. I don't know that you have to wait a full week, but that's what's working for me.

Monday - everybody gets a stone
Tuesday - everybody gets copper (a lot of people don't give any friendship for this, but its sooo plentiful it doesn't matter)
Wednesday - everybody gets plant fiber
Thursday - nothing or a liked gift
Friday - second liked gift for Amira (she'll accept both clay pots and raw clay) I don't know what anyone else likes, and the game actively lies about it sometimes. Elsie very definitely doesn't like raw fish despite what the quest from Owen claims.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 9, 2023

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

LLSix posted:

Gifts definitely take more than a single day to recover from gift decay. I'm getting a lot more friendship points by waiting a full week before giving the same gift again. I don't know that you have to wait a full week, but that's what's working for me.

Tuesday - everybody gets copper
Friday - second liked gift for Amira (she'll accept both clay pots and raw clay) I don't know what anyone else likes, and the game actively lies about it sometimes. Elsie very definitely doesn't like raw fish despite what the quest from Owen claims.

What's-her-face, mine/junkyard gal who asks you to go junk sorting with her in the middle of the night, likes Mechanical Scrap! I know because immediately after that quest I handed her some and she said "Gosh, I love this! AND it's my birthday!" and now her and I are accidental besties :blush:

yes, I sometimes forget the names of my besties, what of it

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

John Lee posted:

What's-her-face, mine/junkyard gal who asks you to go junk sorting with her in the middle of the night, likes Mechanical Scrap! I know because immediately after that quest I handed her some and she said "Gosh, I love this! AND it's my birthday!" and now her and I are accidental besties :blush:

yes, I sometimes forget the names of my besties, what of it

Awesome!

Unrelatedly, you apparently can't put furnaces in your house. Even though Catori suggests you do so. Or maybe I just couldn't figure it out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

Tuesday - everybody gets copper

You invite your friend Amira over, but realize you forgot to erase the white board where you've solved the "rate of gift decay."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i found a post that claimed gift decay works by downgrading how much a person likes a gift by one level, which goes back up a level after two days. so if you overload someone too far it can take a week to revert. it seems to work well enough.

i just save the good gifts for sunday, when most of the town congregates. even the weird loners hang out together.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Some of the lines in the game can be pretty funny.

"That's my good deed for the day. Now I'm off to Atara to commit tax fraud!"

"I make my strokes extra globby so it's easier to see it drip."

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The whole town gets manure for making me put up with all their poo poo, except owen and Mi-An, they ain't too bad

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’m more of a Stardew guy but wife loved Portia so picked up Sandrock on release, she just pointed out it’s saying she’s played 95 hours so far and even I agree that’s nowhere near accurate. Bug or they list hours weird?

E: maybe “paused time” on the switch?

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 9, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Paused time counts.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you alternate gifts every day you dont get a decay, for example if someone loves both gold and diamond switching them back and forth daily will never have them get tired of either.

Also the switch version has an average of 5/10 from review outlets, ouch.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

If you alternate gifts every day you dont get a decay, for example if someone loves both gold and diamond switching them back and forth daily will never have them get tired of either.

Also the switch version has an average of 5/10 from review outlets, ouch.

It’s not a series that’s well known for its optimization (though Sandrock is miles ahead of Portia) so I can’t imagine it runs super well on the Switch’s aging hardware.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Gift decay is really silly for animals. In my experience, dogs are super happy to receive the same treat over and over every day for their entire lives.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

Gift decay is really silly for animals. In my experience, dogs are super happy to receive the same treat over and over every day for their entire lives.

Yeah but it’s perfectly on-brands for cats though.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dirk the Average posted:

Depends on the animal. With my local magpie couple, the male likes the meatballs I offer but sometimes seems to get sick of them and looks for something else, but the female is older and more practical and is happy to eat the same thing every day so long as it means she gets to eat every day.

So I make sure to give CoCo a variety of scorpsters, golden scorpions and cactus fruit.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

How often do mounts refresh at the ranch? I got a stable and I'm ready to buy my horse, but the ranch has had the same set of yakmels and camels on sale for the past two weeks. And driving a camel is awful.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bussamove posted:

Yeah but it’s perfectly on-brands for cats though.

Yes, but cats are assholes by nature.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Radiation Cow posted:

How often do mounts refresh at the ranch? I got a stable and I'm ready to buy my horse, but the ranch has had the same set of yakmels and camels on sale for the past two weeks. And driving a camel is awful.

Every Sunday, you can save before going to bed.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Need my sunglasses llama back imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Radiation Cow posted:

Haha waiting for a good horse + forgetting I had a stable is why I didn't mount a horse until last month. I still am not in the habit of it but it's definitely gonna become one.