Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

I can indeed confirm that septuplets are not at all common in most music. But I personally love 5-lets and 7-lets so I say let ‘em fly!

It takes a lot of musicians a lot of practice to get a consistent 5-let or septuplet so if it comes naturally to you I’d suggest leaning into it. Maybe even write a song using it prominently

For less common odd groupings like that it helps to have a mnemonic word with matching syllables you can use to help evenly subdivide the count. For 5 I learned hi-po-pot-a-mus while trying to teach myself This is Thirteen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCondor
Oct 30, 2010

Added a couple cymbals and got the kit set up. Just practicing and noodling along with tunes so far. I didn't like the "open" sound so I went ahead and tried reso heads on the bass/toms, I think they sound OK even with the chewed up bearing edges. They at least seem to have even(ish) tension and stay where I put them.

I'm having an issue with the snare however - I can't stop the wires from buzzing with the throwoff disengaged and the adjustment as loose as it will go. Not sure if it's time for new wires or I just did something wrong when I put them back on the drum. It's a Tama Swingstar, I think from the 90s. Could be the original wires for all I know. It sounds good enough for practice with the wires tightened so I haven't messed with it too much.

sebzilla posted:

Overall it looks like a cool kit to play around with though, that wrap is wild.

I probably would have passed on them if it weren't for the wrap, unfortunately a lot of the green has faded to yellow/white and it's in kind of poor shape overall. I thought I got a killer deal on them until I started buying all the other hardware I was missing...

taters posted:

Worse than the chewed up state of the bearing edges is the wood ply seems to be pulling apart. This is ultimately fatal once it progresses too far.

I was worried about this too, I'm hoping it'll be OK in the short term if this is as bad as it got after 50 years of mediocre care.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
For the snare, what about the opposite side of the throw off? Can you lower them there?

TheCondor
Oct 30, 2010
I tried and it did stop the rattling with the lever down. When I do that I have to tighten the adjustment knob all the way to stop them from buzzing with the lever up and don't really have any range for changing the tension. It's like the travel on the throwoff is just a little too short.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The other day, I got back behind a kit for the first time in... more than ten years. It was dead at work and I was feeling confident so I finally went downstairs to the drums department and sat at the nice big Roland kit (we sell more electric kits than acoustic ones these days). I sucked, but not nearly as badly as I thought I would. Some rhythms (especially anything with the left hand doing a quick 16th note double stroke ghost on the hand, lol) just came right back. Others, like the Purdie Shuffle, are not something I can pound out as accurately with sticks as I can with my hands on a table and foot on the ground. But lo and behold, the drums dept was understaffed the next day so I got to spend a few hours there, and taking after one of my coworkers I just stood at the counter with a practice pad and a pair of 7As practicing my paradiddles. I got back behind one of the kits again today and was markedly better than just two days ago. I have to figure out some songs to actually practice, sitting at the kit was similar to walking in the door at a karaoke bar in that it just wipes any memory I have of "oh yeah I remember how that drum part goes, I'll try it next time I'm down there."

I caught the bug again, I guess. Now I've spent a few hours searching my apartment for my sticks and practice pad. No joy yet, I might just have to buy a new set. But it'll be nice to tell people again "Yeah, I can play drums for your band" and not having to shy away from that for fear of being way too out of practice.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Have you practiced enough today?

https://i.imgur.com/tBKeuf8.mp4

... poo poo :(

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah but he didn’t do the Joey Jordison windmill smdh

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Any of you goons play a hybrid acoustic/electric kit? Any recommendations on stuff to look out for? Good deals? All I really want is a left foot pedal and one pad. I don't think I'm interested in triggers.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

Any of you goons play a hybrid acoustic/electric kit? Any recommendations on stuff to look out for? Good deals? All I really want is a left foot pedal and one pad. I don't think I'm interested in triggers.

on and off, yeah

roland spd-sx + roland kt-10 pedal

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Jazz Marimba posted:

on and off, yeah

roland spd-sx + roland kt-10 pedal

The sample pad is cool but I'm leaning towards something like a 2-zone "tom" pad. How's the kick pedal? Can you rest your foot on it without it triggering? Does it bounce back up quickly?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ugh, I got behind the electronic kits at work and bought that practice pad and now I've got it BAD for getting back behind a real kit.

I've been looking at Reverb.com and Gearhunter listings multiple times a day, ogling tiny kits I can't even afford. I should never have sold that Ludwig Breakbeats kit, because it actually fit in my room and doesn't sound terrible. I still have my hardware and cymbals, too...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

Ugh, I got behind the electronic kits at work and bought that practice pad and now I've got it BAD for getting back behind a real kit.

I've been looking at Reverb.com and Gearhunter listings multiple times a day, ogling tiny kits I can't even afford. I should never have sold that Ludwig Breakbeats kit, because it actually fit in my room and doesn't sound terrible. I still have my hardware and cymbals, too...

Scour stuff like Nextdoor and Craigslist, instruments come up fairly often in their For Sale sections. Especially early next year after the holidays. I feel like used drums are one of the more viable instruments to scrounge for because as long as they're not physically broken you can put a nice head on it and tune it to sound at least decent.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mister Speaker posted:

Hi drum thread!

I don't know how to play the drums and just got my first set a few days ago from a local store. Brand new Mapex Rebel for $430 which included absolutely everything I needed including the cymbals and stands and a throne! It sounds just fine for my needs which is just to learn. I have no delusions of ever using these in front of people.

https://www.amazon.com/RB5294FTCDK-5-Piece-Hardware-Cymbals-22-Inch/dp/B00MGY1TQW?th=1

My practice pad and copy of Stick Control just came in today so I guess I should start learning!

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 21, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Tbh, I went to the store for a used guitar stand and ended up coming home with the drum set. It was just what I needed and I had the funds so eh, gently caress it.

My dad was a musician his whole life and passed away in April so I got some of his old equipment. I just got carpeting put in the basement 2 weeks ago and am in the process of creating a music room. I might have to do some sound proofing. Today, as well as my pad/book, a little bluetooth interface came in so I can hook it up to my dad's Roland KC-550 keyboard amp and play along with tunes through there instead of buying a new speaker. Works great and was only $24. :)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Awesome. Wear some hearing protection and have fun. Maybe find a video on how to tune your drums because it will make them sound way, way better.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AndrewP posted:

Awesome. Wear some hearing protection and have fun. Maybe find a video on how to tune your drums because it will make them sound way, way better.

Hearing protection might be a good idea. The guys at the store were very helpful and did a quick tune on them just to get me started so I could play when I got home. I'm going to have to do a lot of reading about that. I went back there yesterday to pick up some of those gel pads that they recommended to put on them to take away some of the sustain(?, I don't know the terminology yet). The bass drum is very loud and needs to be dampened but then I'd have to take the head off so I'm going to have to learn how to tune it before that.

I might also consider getting some sort of mute pads later on. I talked to my next door neighbor right after I bought the drums and made sure he had my number to let me know if I'm being too loud lol. He's a cool guy.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hearing protection might be a good idea. The guys at the store were very helpful and did a quick tune on them just to get me started so I could play when I got home. I'm going to have to do a lot of reading about that. I went back there yesterday to pick up some of those gel pads that they recommended to put on them to take away some of the sustain(?, I don't know the terminology yet). The bass drum is very loud and needs to be dampened but then I'd have to take the head off so I'm going to have to learn how to tune it before that.

I might also consider getting some sort of mute pads later on. I talked to my next door neighbor right after I bought the drums and made sure he had my number to let me know if I'm being too loud lol. He's a cool guy.

What I learned a long time ago was that, tuning the drums by resting your body (not pushing) on the edges and tightening with your fingers will get you a pretty decent way in terms of having them in tune

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

You could actually take the time to tune your bass drum to give it a nice round sound, or you can do just do what everyone does and shove a comforter or pillow in it to give it a nice thud. That's way easier.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

The sample pad is cool but I'm leaning towards something like a 2-zone "tom" pad. How's the kick pedal? Can you rest your foot on it without it triggering? Does it bounce back up quickly?

i play it heel up/burying the “beater” and it only triggers on the final stroke. feels amazingly like a real pedal

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

And any cymbals that come included with a kit are going to be actual trash, so keep an eye on sales and stuff like Nextdoor and other yard sale type stuff, those will probably be the first things you'll want to upgrade.

The drums themselves look great and Mapex is a good brand so :yeah:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeeaah, those cymbals look kind of horrific, which is very typical of cheap cymbals. Look around for used and just make sure there's no cracks.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Tbh, I went to the store for a used guitar stand and ended up coming home with the drum set. It was just what I needed and I had the funds so eh, gently caress it.

My dad was a musician his whole life and passed away in April so I got some of his old equipment. I just got carpeting put in the basement 2 weeks ago and am in the process of creating a music room. I might have to do some sound proofing. Today, as well as my pad/book, a little bluetooth interface came in so I can hook it up to my dad's Roland KC-550 keyboard amp and play along with tunes through there instead of buying a new speaker. Works great and was only $24. :)

Have a look at this option for quieter drums https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LV468RH--zildjian-quiet-pack-low-volume-accessory-package-l80-cymbals-and-remo-silentstroke-heads

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have a gear question. I've got a bit of a Frankenstein electronic kit with Roland cymbals. How do I keep them from spinning when I hit them? Right now they are just on a standard boom arm with a felt and wing nut. Is there something that would clamp them down a bit? They spin now and the cord gets all tangled and distracts me.

My search skills are failing me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Takes No Damage posted:

And any cymbals that come included with a kit are going to be actual trash, so keep an eye on sales and stuff like Nextdoor and other yard sale type stuff, those will probably be the first things you'll want to upgrade.

The drums themselves look great and Mapex is a good brand so :yeah:

AndrewP posted:

Yeeaah, those cymbals look kind of horrific, which is very typical of cheap cymbals. Look around for used and just make sure there's no cracks.

Yeah, the cymbals are very light and thin. The guy at the store said those would probably be the first things I replace although he did say they were surprisingly decent for being so cheap. They sound ok but I don't think they're going to last very long.

I've seen and heard those at another local music store and they're super neat. Although just that package costs more than my entire drum set so that's something I'd look into wwaayyy down the line.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
First time doing an official drum practice with a pad and Stick Control!

Pennywise the Cat was interested. Surprisingly, I didn't name him; the shelter did because they got a bunch of kittens in October of 2021 and he was the last one they wanted me to look at. I just had to. He's a dick but I love him. :)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpxO1yqv5go

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

TLDR: Reverb is your enemy here's how to fix it:

For sure pads will let you play much, much more quietly. This is the type of pads I prefer, because you still get to sit at your kit while using them
https://www.thomann.de/gr/hq_percus...5YaAvGgEALw_wcB

The thing about drums is they don't come ready to play out of the box. There's a lot to do before you can be content with your kit's sound.

Bare walls cause insane reverb which is very annoying, you can consider getting some nice tarps to hang on the walls. This will also help a lot with sound being contained in the room while you rehearse without pads.
Also, consider placing a literal pillow in the base drum (ideally get thick foam tarp, cut to the right measurements to form a "tube" and cover the inside of the basedrum entirely). This will eliminate the basedrum reverb completely and will sound amazing.
After you tune, you may find your snare strings syncing with your toms and causing an annoying noise. Or you may find your snare sounds more like shrieking parrot than a snare (although I see you got a wooden snare. These sound much better, good choice!). If any of this happens don't over-tighten your strings. It won't help much. Just cram a dishwashing sponge between your snare base and the strings.

Get a set of these, https://www.thomann.de/gr/millenium...loaAl8fEALw_wcB
Don't fool yourself, this is mandatory. Duct tape is for chumps. Seriously, get you O-rings for your drums. Your kit will sound amazing

Then, I advise you stop eating. You need a nice sounding hihat set and a nice ride a.s.a.p. If you go shopping for a ride, don't buy anything below 200$, it would be money down the drain. Good luck!

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 31, 2023

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

Mr. Pickles posted:

TLDR: Reverb is your enemy here's how to fix it:

For sure pads will let you play much, much more quietly. This is the type of pads I prefer, because you still get to sit at your kit while using them
https://www.thomann.de/gr/hq_percus...5YaAvGgEALw_wcB

The thing about drums is they don't come ready to play out of the box. There's a lot to do before you can be content with your kit's sound.

Bare walls cause insane reverb which is very annoying, you can consider getting some nice tarps to hang on the walls. This will also help a lot with sound being contained in the room while you rehearse without pads.
Also, consider placing a literal pillow in the base drum (ideally get thick foam tarp, cut to the right measurements to form a "tube" and cover the inside of the basedrum entirely). This will eliminate the basedrum reverb completely and will sound amazing.
After you tune, you may find your snare strings syncing with your toms and causing an annoying noise. Or you may find your snare sounds more like shrieking parrot than a snare (although I see you got a wooden snare. These sound much better, good choice!). If any of this happens don't over-tighten your strings. It won't help much. Just cram a dishwashing sponge between your snare base and the strings.

Get a set of these, https://www.thomann.de/gr/millenium...loaAl8fEALw_wcB
Don't fool yourself, this is mandatory. Duct tape is for chumps. Seriously, get you O-rings for your drums. Your kit will sound amazing

Then, I advise you stop eating. You need a nice sounding hihat set and a nice ride a.s.a.p. If you go shopping for a ride, don't buy anything below 200$, it would be money down the drain. Good luck!

Agreed with all of this. These will all go a long way to making your kit sound way better cheaply and without a ton of effort. I’ll also say I’ve had pretty good luck with moon gels on my snare to dampen it without completely killing it.

The bummer about cymbals is that you generally do get what you pay for. The difference in quality of the cheapies to the pricey ones is night and day.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Great.

Now I'm shopping for a damned xylophone for my kit.

:bighow:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I love drum cam footage. This is really making me want to find some roto-toms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF_td_uz8j0

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
after learning on a Simmons eKit for the past half year, I bought an acoustic kit tonight. I found a like-new Mapex Tornado 5-piece for half the regular new price. I was prepared to be disappointed with the sounds, but everything sounds great? I can't really complain about the cymbals even. The hi-hat sounds kind of dead though. I got a few minutes of play time in after setting it up but then it was already too late to be playing that kit :(.
The bass drum pedal is cheap garbage that I will be replacing asap. I saw a DW5000 for sale today for $75.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 21, 2023

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

TotalLossBrain posted:

I saw a DW5000 for sale today for $75.

A pedal so nice I've bought it 3 times?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I've been thinking about a kick replacement but, as I play a single pedal, I just don't feel like I can justify it. I sat in for a group with a way "nicer" set than mine with a fancy DW kick and honestly, yes I am a basic person, but I like my decent Yamaha kick better. What kind of sick gently caress DOESN'T want to spend money on drum poo poo? A reaaaaal sicky.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I bought a single Dyna-Sync direct drive because I'm a weirdo, but I've NEVER regretted it. I will be buried with this pedal

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

DW 5000 is a mid price pedal. I bought my second after I somehow cracked the foot plate in half. When I had a broken chain on the second one during a gig, I bought the third as a backup.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AndrewP posted:

I bought a single Dyna-Sync direct drive because I'm a weirdo, but I've NEVER regretted it. I will be buried with this pedal

Same, I love it. Although I kinda wish I'd gone with the double pedal. Can't play double kick for poo poo, but I want to learn.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Double pedal is sweet but gajate with attached timbale is even better

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Is there a such thing as a "generic" or universal cymbal for an eKit? Like just a basic Roland pad or something?

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

Bonzo posted:

Is there a such thing as a "generic" or universal cymbal for an eKit? Like just a basic Roland pad or something?

Do you mean to add a cymbal to an existing kit? I bought some Lemon cymbals to add to my Roland kit since the normal Roland ones are so pricy. They aren’t as nice but work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

I Might Be Adam posted:

i bought my second after I somehow cracked the foot plate in half.

lol this is *still* happening?
sand casted piece of poo poo pedal board