Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol oh yeah difficulty settings are such a good system and definitely have a lot of thought put in them for appropriate game experience labelled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Khanstant posted:

Lol oh yeah difficulty settings are such a good system and definitely have a lot of thought put in them for appropriate game experience labelled

i mean yeah they can be implemented badly, but at least then when "normal" is way too easy or whatever, i can adjust the difficulty.

nah ur right it is much better 2 have 2 restart the entire game and guess randomly at which build will provide an appropriate level of challenge

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I find it pretty hard to make a completely broken Dark Souls build on either end of the difficulty curve. I haven't really heard many people say their build was hosed as a criticism, and even the cheesy stuff just works here and there and usually requires some foresight to really get going. People beat the game all the time with the starting gear. I think part of the popularity is probably due to people having fun because they don't stumble into bad builds.

Did you actually play Dark Souls and didn't like it or are you just mad at the game for the hypothetical gameplay it had that didn't include a difficulty adjustment which would have fixed said hypothetical gameplay?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Nice Van My Man posted:

I find it pretty hard to make a completely broken Dark Souls build on either end of the difficulty curve. I haven't really heard many people say their build was hosed as a criticism, and even the cheesy stuff just works here and there and usually requires some foresight to really get going. People beat the game all the time with the starting gear. I think part of the popularity is probably due to people having fun because they don't stumble into bad builds.

Did you actually play Dark Souls and didn't like it or are you just mad at the game for the hypothetical gameplay it had that didn't include a difficulty adjustment which would have fixed said hypothetical gameplay?

Yes, I played it, I said so explicitly earlier in this discussion. I haven't experimented with a lot of builds though, I'm just going off other people's posts in this discussion about claiming that certain builds are OP or lovely, which they posted in response to the idea that the game should have difficulty modes.

Personally for my individual experience, a different difficulty mode wouldn't have been that helpful. But regardless of my own playthrough, I just don't understand why so many From fans are so vehemently opposed to the idea of difficulty modes. Like, it's not going to somehow compromise the core gameplay if there was a mode where rolling gives you 33% more i-frames or bosses have 20% less HP or whatever. Get the gently caress over yourselves.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Dark Souls is a fun action rpg with well designed levels that are fun to explore, cool looking bosses and lots of rad weapons.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yes, I played it, I said so explicitly earlier in this discussion. I haven't experimented with a lot of builds though, I'm just going off other people's posts in this discussion about claiming that certain builds are OP or lovely, which they posted in response to the idea that the game should have difficulty modes.

Personally for my individual experience, a different difficulty mode wouldn't have been that helpful. But regardless of my own playthrough, I just don't understand why so many From fans are so vehemently opposed to the idea of difficulty modes. Like, it's not going to somehow compromise the core gameplay if there was a mode where rolling gives you 33% more i-frames or bosses have 20% less HP or whatever. Get the gently caress over yourselves.

It's because you're suggesting a lazy and boring solution to a problem that has already been solved with an elegant and thoughtful solution. Personally, I'd prefer for other games handle difficulty the way Dark Souls does it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Devils Affricate posted:

It's because you're suggesting a lazy and boring solution to a problem that has already been solved with an elegant and thoughtful solution. Personally, I'd prefer for other games handle difficulty the way Dark Souls does it.

The lazy and boring solution to changing the game resolution is a toggle box, the elegant and thoughtful way would be requiring a difficult speech check with a character halfway through the game to change to borderless windowed mode.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Souls games don't need a difficulty setting, people just need to believe in themselves. "Get good" just means "I know you can do it, just keep trying." You just gotta evade the enemy attacks and hit them until their health goes down.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There are certainly trap builds, like picking the knight class in DS1 and thinking fat rolling is just how rolling works in souls games. Or not knowing ADP is vital in DS2.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
ADP is a funny stat. I am glad it is not in games after 2 though

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

How has it already been solved?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

normal difficulty: the only difficulty we kind of tested
hard difficulty: for players who post

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ymgve posted:

There are certainly trap builds, like picking the knight class in DS1 and thinking fat rolling is just how rolling works in souls games. Or not knowing ADP is vital in DS2.

Put points into resistance, it makes you tough!!

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

DontMockMySmock posted:

It sounds like it would be best for everyone if you just stayed away from Souls games.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

How has it already been solved?

By giving the player in-game options to make the game easier or more difficult. I think we've been over this.

Panzeh posted:

The lazy and boring solution to changing the game resolution is a toggle box, the elegant and thoughtful way would be requiring a difficult speech check with a character halfway through the game to change to borderless windowed mode.

Pretty bad analogy, as has already been pointed out. Addressing an in-game issue with a gameplay-based solution would be very much not the same thing as addressing a technical issue of how your computer processes the game with a gameplay-based solution. That said, that could actually be pretty cool if done right. Email the Fromsoft devs!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

By giving the player in-game options to make the game easier or more difficult. I think we've been over this.

What options? What is the "elegant and thoughtful solution" of which you speak?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DontMockMySmock posted:

They seem to think that summoning a friend is a difficulty mode adjustment. Or reading a wiki and learning where to get things, where to put points and all that. It's just stupid brain worms. You're right. They are wrong. They can't admit they are wrong, though, because too much of their identity is based on beating a video game.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

Like using summon items, or summoning other players to help you. The games are also generally open-ended with many areas of varying difficulty to explore, so if you encounter something that seems too difficult, you can go elsewhere and come back when your character is stronger. Conversely, if you're feeling confident, you can jump into areas that are more dangerous early on.

Waltzing Along posted:

They seem to think that summoning a friend is a difficulty mode adjustment. Or reading a wiki and learning where to get things, where to put points and all that. It's just stupid brain worms. You're right. They are wrong. They can't admit they are wrong, though, because too much of their identity is based on beating a video game.

Summoning someone very clearly makes the game easier. Why is that not a valid difficulty mode adjustment in your eyes?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Devils Affricate posted:

But, like what? There aren't actually any in-game options to make the game easier for someone who's having trouble beyond "just grind souls until you don't die and can kill the thing you're dying to". And no, having someone else play the game for you isn't an in-game difficulty adjustment choice.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Nuebot posted:

But, like what? There aren't actually any in-game options to make the game easier for someone who's having trouble beyond "just grind souls until you don't die and can kill the thing you're dying to". And no, having someone else play the game for you isn't an in-game difficulty adjustment choice.

You shouldn't summon people just to have them fight for you while you stand back and watch, that's a dick move. Unless it's that one guy who logs in just to solo Malenia for people I guess, but he literally put it in his character name.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Like using summon items, or summoning other players to help you. The games are also generally open-ended with many areas of varying difficulty to explore, so if you encounter something that seems too difficult, you can go elsewhere and come back when your character is stronger. Conversely, if you're feeling confident, you can jump into areas that are more dangerous early on.

Summoning someone very clearly makes the game easier. Why is that not a valid difficulty mode adjustment in your eyes?

Certain NPCs can be summoned on particular bosses, as far as I understand it. That's helpful, for those bosses, but not really comprehensive, especially when imo the biggest difficulty in the game isn't even the bosses (except maybe Capra Demon - who i will note doesn't have an npc summon anyway).

Online co-op is, as I mentioned earlier, not accessible for everyone, especially years after release. I tried a few times, never managed to get it to work at all - just got the "nobody online lol" message over and over again.

Devils Affricate posted:

You shouldn't summon people just to have them fight for you while you stand back and watch, that's a dick move.

Even if you're each taking half the burden, that's a kinda lovely way to handle making the game easier. "just play half the game lol"

that is, i imagine it would be lovely, if it were even an option for me

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

Certain NPCs can be summoned on particular bosses, as far as I understand it. That's helpful, for those bosses, but not really comprehensive, especially when imo the biggest difficulty in the game isn't even the bosses (except maybe Capra Demon - who i will note doesn't have an npc summon anyway).

Online co-op is, as I mentioned earlier, not accessible for everyone, especially years after release. I tried a few times, never managed to get it to work at all - just got the "nobody online lol" message over and over again.

In Elden Ring they added summon items that you can use for any boss fight, specifically as an option to make them easier if that's what the player wants.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Even if you're each taking half the burden, that's a kinda lovely way to handle making the game easier. "just play half the game lol"

that is, i imagine it would be lovely, if it were even an option for me

Playing with someone helping you isn't "playing half the game" any more than setting the enemy attack and HP to -50% would be "playing half the game". And I don't think it's lovely at all; it's fun to play with other people, and a lot more interesting than adjusting a difficulty slider.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

so then you agree that there are no reasonable difficulty options for dark souls 1 (at least, not anymore now that online is dead)? i haven't played elden ring so i can't speak to that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Try not being a bitch

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

this guy's loving mad that he's bad at a game lol

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

so then you agree that there are no reasonable difficulty options for dark souls 1 (at least, not anymore now that online is dead)? i haven't played elden ring so i can't speak to that

Sure, but who cares? That's a 12 year old game and Fromsoft does things differently now. This is like complaining about tank controls in Resident Evil.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
whats different lol i thought you said the difficulty selector was builds and coop

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

whats different lol i thought you said the difficulty selector was builds and coop

Elden Ring is a lot more accommodating in these regards. In DS1 you could only summon other players when you were in human form, which was only achievable by using a limited consumable item, and during that time you were open to invasion. You also have more options for where you want to explore at any given point in time, and more options regarding gear, like how you can swap around the special moves on weapons. And again, the summon items that aren't boss-specific and don't require online play.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Sure, but who cares? That's a 12 year old game and Fromsoft does things differently now. This is like complaining about tank controls in Resident Evil.

because people, including YOU, were saying that dark souls doesn't need difficulty options because it has in-game stuff? suddenly pivoting to talking about elden ring instead is a big move of the goalposts.

I still have yet to receive an answer to the big underlying question: why do you think having difficulty modes (without, and this is important, taking out any other features such as co-op) is somehow going to make the game worse? If "normal mode" is the exact same game you love, all you have to do is not change the setting off of "normal".

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Oh man I can't wait to see who wins this debate.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I do a lot of rolling in Elden Ring but it's very rarely on a comfortable surface, I should take a little damage from each roll IMO

And make a little oof sound

Barudak
May 7, 2007

System Shock and Bioshock are very similar:

You explore a desolate husk of civilization in a harsh environment filled with the twisted remains of its inhabitants
They have respawning enemies
They are bad

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

because people, including YOU, were saying that dark souls doesn't need difficulty options because it has in-game stuff? suddenly pivoting to talking about elden ring instead is a big move of the goalposts.

I mean it kinda does have that stuff, just not nearly to the same extent as From's more recent titles. If it's really that important to you, I'll agree that Dark Souls 1 could probably have benefitted from having more options that made it a friendlier experience to new players.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I still have yet to receive an answer to the big underlying question: why do you think having difficulty modes (without, and this is important, taking out any other features such as co-op) is somehow going to make the game worse? If "normal mode" is the exact same game you love, all you have to do is not change the setting off of "normal".

Why doesn't Starbucks sell ketchup? There's an infinite number of things that could exist, but don't, because they don't need to.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Why doesn't Starbucks sell ketchup? There's an infinite number of things that could exist, but don't, because they don't need to.

ketchup isn't an accessibility issue you goddamned goblin

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
difficulty isn't really an accessibility thing either people just like to call it that so it sounds better

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I'm Crap posted:

this guy's loving mad that he's bad at a game lol

I've finished all the soulsborne games except DS2 which is an awful game. I have plats in BB, ER, and Sek. So suck my balls. I'm good enough at the games and I think they need accessibility options for people who want them.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

ketchup isn't an accessibility issue you goddamned goblin

Let me introduce you to the concept of "analogies"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogy

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

difficulty isn't really an accessibility thing either people just like to call it that so it sounds better

I have a friend irl who has some mobility issues. They mostly play turn-based games, for which it is mostly not an issue, but they often express to me the wish that they could play more action-based games. Some action-based games they have played and enjoyed, for example Hades, with the help of the game's easy mode. Easy modes literally make them able to access more games. And of course I know they're not alone in this. Maybe if I'd never met them, I'd still have douchey opinions like yours, but it turns out that all it takes is listening to the experiences of people different to you to understand the world a little better!

That's why I get so loving pissed off when people (and by people I mean dark souls fans because it's always loving dark souls fans) come in and say "easy modes are bad."

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Let me introduce you to the concept of "analogies"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogy

gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Barudak posted:

System Shock and Bioshock are very similar:

You explore a desolate husk of civilization in a harsh environment filled with the twisted remains of its inhabitants
They have respawning enemies
They are bad

They are good games which you have hand waved away:

System Shock pioneered story telling with audio logs.

Bioshock streamlined the System Shock experience for consoles; Ken Levine's storytelling style became more mainstream.

There's a lot more that both games have contributed to game design, but this is a good start.