Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DontMockMySmock posted:

I have a friend irl who has some mobility issues. They mostly play turn-based games, for which it is mostly not an issue, but they often express to me the wish that they could play more action-based games. Some action-based games they have played and enjoyed, for example Hades, with the help of the game's easy mode. Easy modes literally make them able to access more games. And of course I know they're not alone in this. Maybe if I'd never met them, I'd still have douchey opinions like yours, but it turns out that all it takes is listening to the experiences of people different to you to understand the world a little better!

That's why I get so loving pissed off when people (and by people I mean dark souls fans because it's always loving dark souls fans) come in and say "easy modes are bad."

As I said. They like punching down. They get off on it. And they don't realize they are doing it. It's pathetic. It's akin to bullying, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waltzing Along posted:

You're right. They are wrong. They can't admit they are wrong, though, because too much of their identity is based on beating a video game.

i get it. my identity is also based on beating a video game. but that video game is, coryoon child of dragon

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Accessibility and difficulty in games is actually an extremely fascinating topic that is garnering a lot of research and I think that's good. There's no objective answer to it but it is very interesting.

The "difficulty is not accessibility" statement can be both true and also not true depending on what the difficulty actually effects which is neat. If it effects AI intelligence and response, health and damage etc you can *probably* say it doesn't affect accessibility, but if difficulty reduces, say, aim assistance, or reduces party timing windows, or even removes enemy highlighting that would definitely fall into a discussion of accessibility.

The thing is that doesn't make, say, reducing party timing windows a *bad* way of increasing difficulty, it's a simple and effective way to do so and can certainly be a pleasant way for a lot of players to experience a harder difficulty, but it also definitely reduces accessibility for people who are disabled and have issues with reflex and timing, and are not able to, as people say, "git gud".

Difficulty and accessibility discussions often go hand in hand when it comes to design with considerations for accessibility and there's no objective or true answer, it's pretty dang interesting.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the dark souls difficulty option discussion has in an eternal state of stalemate for over a decade, and will continue until the heat death of the universe

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

As I said. They like punching down. They get off on it. And they don't realize they are doing it. It's pathetic. It's akin to bullying, actually.

I think it's important that punching down be allowed or else I wouldn't be able to talk poo poo about people for liking the games they like. That'd be wrong. They have to know. I am doing them a favor. Gosh I am so great. I don't really care if they are good at video games though that's not important to me.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I have a friend who can't play video games because certain patterns will trigger an epileptic seizure; accessibility might as well be on the loving moon as far as he's concerned.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

gently caress you.

I made a clear analogy and you replied by pretending not to understand how analogies work. I don't know what to tell you, dude. If you don't like patronizing comments being thrown your way, maybe don't feign ignorance on basic concepts just to get a dig in?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

I have a friend who can't play video games because certain patterns will trigger an epileptic seizure; accessibility might as well be on the loving moon as far as he's concerned.

Just use black and white mode.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Devils Affricate posted:

I made a clear analogy and you replied by pretending not to understand how analogies work. I don't know what to tell you, dude. If you don't like patronizing comments being thrown your way, maybe don't feign ignorance on basic concepts just to get a dig in?

i actually explained quite succinctly why that was a loving stupid analogy and you're the one who disengaged from the topic while being an rear end

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

out of all the things mentioned, this is the only one that the game actually tells you is supposed to be some kind of in-game easy mode. problem is you can't loving summon poo poo when you're playing a game years after release during off-peak hours on pc (no cross-platform afaik). might as well have not existed as a mechanic for my playthrough.

all this poo poo about certain builds being easy mode or whatever is colossally stupid posting. y'all are dumb as hell. like, the game is colossally unbalanced, and you're marketing that as a "feature" to replace the complete lack of the feature people are actually talking about wanting. loving incredible stupidity

maybe don't go throwing stones in glass houses mr. can't figure out how to read the stat descriptions on items

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

i actually explained quite succinctly why that was a loving stupid analogy and you're the one who disengaged from the topic while being an rear end

This is all you said

DontMockMySmock posted:

ketchup isn't an accessibility issue you goddamned goblin

Taking an analogy that draws a comparison between X and Y and angrily stating that X is not Y is not a succinct (or any type of) takedown of that analogy. It's just a demonstration of a failure to understand what analogies are.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jeffrey needs to add an “invaded by <whoever> popup” when someone mentions dark souls in this thread

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

I've finished all the soulsborne games except DS2 which is an awful game. I have plats in BB, ER, and Sek. So suck my balls. I'm good enough at the games and I think they need accessibility options for people who want them.

I platted DS1 and ER while having a paralysed right arm and I think your 'accessibility' thing is an attempt to look righteous and munificent while actually being a mope. Calling everyone who thinks the game is good the way it is a vicious hateful ableist bully is the behaviour of a psychotic or a person convincingly acting like one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

They are good games which you have hand waved away:

System Shock pioneered story telling with audio logs.

Bioshock streamlined the System Shock experience for consoles; Ken Levine's storytelling style became more mainstream.

There's a lot more that both games have contributed to game design, but this is a good start.

Spoon River Anthology is a good book, agreed

Contributing to game design does not make a game good, see Kill.Switch or Operation:Winback

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Battletoads is way more bullshit than Dark Souls anywau

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Talking about Dark Souls turns each thread into a Dark Souls game briefly. We now have to face these foes.

The Accesibility Demon:
Attacks you with vague mentions of accessibility. You have to defeat them by rolling through the wild accusations of you being a political conservative, and hit them in the weak spot. The weak spot being them not actually talking about accessibility at all.
Immune to: "Git gud"

Bad Analogist
Casts Bad Analogy thinking it was a zinger. You have to wait until Bad Analogy wears off and they realize how stupid the analogy was. You have a brief window to attack until they cast another bad analogy.
Immune to: Reason

A Giant Skeleton With A Sword
Like a normal skeleton but big. Swings at you with a sword, just roll through it. Makes a distinct clacking sound when attacking.
Immune to: Difficulty Settings

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dark Souls isn't even that hard for most people, it's very hard if you don't have thumbs and I guess that's technically a little ableist

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't really care about Dark Souls or whatever but responding to accessibility concerns with "just get good" demonstrates a pretty inherent misunderstanding of the concept :shrug:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Dark Souls isn't even that hard for most people, it's very hard if you don't have thumbs and I guess that's technically a little ableist
Nah, my friend's got like 5 fingernubs scattered between his hands and beat elden ring with the guts sword and lions claw. He also wrecks my poo poo at tekken.

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't really care about Dark Souls or whatever but responding to accessibility concerns with "just get good" demonstrates a pretty inherent misunderstanding of the concept :shrug:
There's plenty of good discussion re: elden ring and accessibility and none of that is happening in this thread, because people bringing it up are not actually interested in discussing it.

Vic fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 9, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lucky & Wild is one of the best arcade games ever made.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Looks fun what do you do

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've been playing Aliens Dark Descent and it's very good but the real best-in-class aliens game is actually an unlicensed board game called Nemesis, sorry idiots even when your franchise rarely does something good it's still beaten by imitators and that's pretty funny

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you have a friend, one of you has to be the driver while your friend gets to shoot wildly with magically non-lethal bullets at hordes of very rich bad guys and have a great time with each of you having a chance to shine.

If you don't have a friend you can learn the harsh lesson that life is hard and unforgivingly cruel when you have no one at your side and have to do everything on your own.

QuarkJets posted:

I've been playing Aliens Dark Descent and it's very good but the real best-in-class aliens game is actually an unlicensed board game called Nemesis, sorry idiots even when your franchise rarely does something good it's still beaten by imitators and that's pretty funny

The best aliens theme ride is now Lilo and Stitch themed.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Vic posted:

There's plenty of good discussion re: elden ring and accessibility and none of that is happening in this thread, because people bringing it up are not actually interested in discussing it.

It's true, often the discussion seems to become that difficulty = accessibility or that you should simply get better at games but there's a lot of other factors that are involved and there's no black and white take that exists.

It's a design focus point of mine, because it's so interesting. Like, take an online game where a specific armour set, purely visual, can only be obtained by, say, a flawless team run of a dungeon or something. That seems, to me, perfectly fine and dandy, but it certainly runs into realistic accessibility issues such as:
- is communication required?
- if it is then does it necessitate verbal communication? Does that require quick and/or rapid response?
- does timing need to be synchronised between players and if so what is the leniency for reaction and or communication delays?
- is there a written or symbol reading component and if so is it easily communicable?

Those are just a couple, but it's a good example of something that I, personally as a disabled person, would find acceptable, but the difficulty requirement and restrictions could definitely raise accessibility concerns. But at some point any sort of hurdle or difficulty bump could possibly an accessibility concern, and it's not something to dismiss, but nor can you villify the idea of difficulty inherently because a lot of games require something of a challenge to entice players.

Sorry I'm rambling, but it's a fascinating area of design.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So, panzercorps 2 has a huge set of difficulty settings (and other interesting modifications to the core gameplay like how much luck is involved in combat, from "tons" to "none at all") when you start a campaign. This does not detract from the game in the slightest, even though, if you really wanted to, you could 'set your own difficulty' by using a more or less optimized core, or engage with encirclement mechanics or not. It's actually a good thing to be up front with a player and let them decide how they want to enjoy the game.

In another example, doom has several difficulty settings (though Ultra-Violence tends to be the consensus of what most people play). Would it be a better game if the only way to make the game easier or more difficult would be to self-impose challenges, or use cheat codes?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

syntaxfunction posted:

It's true, often the discussion seems to become that difficulty = accessibility or that you should simply get better at games but there's a lot of other factors that are involved and there's no black and white take that exists.

It's a design focus point of mine, because it's so interesting. Like, take an online game where a specific armour set, purely visual, can only be obtained by, say, a flawless team run of a dungeon or something. That seems, to me, perfectly fine and dandy, but it certainly runs into realistic accessibility issues such as:
- is communication required?
- if it is then does it necessitate verbal communication? Does that require quick and/or rapid response?
- does timing need to be synchronised between players and if so what is the leniency for reaction and or communication delays?
- is there a written or symbol reading component and if so is it easily communicable?

Those are just a couple, but it's a good example of something that I, personally as a disabled person, would find acceptable, but the difficulty requirement and restrictions could definitely raise accessibility concerns. But at some point any sort of hurdle or difficulty bump could possibly an accessibility concern, and it's not something to dismiss, but nor can you villify the idea of difficulty inherently because a lot of games require something of a challenge to entice players.

Sorry I'm rambling, but it's a fascinating area of design.

Yeah trying to do that first raid in destiny 2 sucked rear end. I love how every other attempt was disrupted by the perpetual argument of "Cup" vs. "Chalice" where people would suddenly pretend like they didn't know what a cup or a chalice was just because you didn't use whatever word they wanted, or that somehow "Cup" sounded like "Dog".

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I am pretty good at video games, but am very, very bad at Dark Souls. I've tried it, I just can't get better at it. I don't want to play an "easy" version of Dark Souls; I want to experience what other people do. I feel like there's a barrier I can't cross, so I'll have to just enjoy it vicariously or something.

Khanstant posted:

Battletoads is way more bullshit than Dark Souls anywau

There's no single enemy that is tough to beat in Battletoads; all the difficulty is just environmental timing stuff. I can (almost) beat Battletoads. I can't get anywhere in Dark Souls :(

credburn fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 9, 2023

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You won't get anywhere with that attitude, you just have to believe in yourself as much as I believe in you. You can do it man.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Sorry, Doom is ruined because you can just type iddqd if you're tired

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I feel like bringing up random games with difficulty settings for comparison to soulsgames is as useful as bringing up random games without difficulty settings.

You can have a game that lets you customize everything and lets you decide how and when it challenges you.

You can have a game where you let the developer dictate the challenge you'll be facing.

There's appeal to both. Git gud at appreciating games noob.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Caesar Saladin posted:

Souls games don't need a difficulty setting, people just need to believe in themselves. "Get good" just means "I know you can do it, just keep trying." You just gotta evade the enemy attacks and hit them until their health goes down.

This is the key. I was stuck on Bloodborne for years until one of our venerable admins VideoGames started playing it really badly on stream and I thought if he could do it then so could I and hell, that's how I got the plat and beat a bunch of other souls games afterward.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I'm Crap posted:

I platted DS1 and ER while having a paralysed right arm and I think your 'accessibility' thing is an attempt to look righteous and munificent while actually being a mope. Calling everyone who thinks the game is good the way it is a vicious hateful ableist bully is the behaviour of a psychotic or a person convincingly acting like one.

They got chased out of the PS5 thread for posting like this over a year ago and they took refuge in this thread to keep at it lmao

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The Souls games are pretty hard games, anybody who says they're easy is full of it. The enemies hit very hard and are aggressive and the death punishments can be pretty brutal. But once you learn how to play them, and the kind of gameplay that's expected of you, they are manageable for just about everybody with a bit of determination and patience. Honestly a rebalancing of an easy mode where they don't hit very hard would kind of just mess up the gameplay, if you could just beat the bosses down while facerolling through the attacks there isn't much of a game there at all.

I first played Demon's Souls when it came out in 2010 or whatever and I found it unbelievably hard, but after I came back to it I could smash my way through it with no problem. Its a game you can absolutely get better at once you get used to the controls and lean into the kind of pace and practices that it expects you to have during combat.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

If a game doesn't require skill or knowledge to complete, it isn't a game at all it isn't a game, it's a passtime, like watching paint dry.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

We don't get upset that some people can't skateboard. Some people are too bad at games to see the end and that's okay, and in fact, how it should be.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
The only possible acceptable zelda movie will be like the cartoon with liberal uses of "excuuuse me princess" featuring no one named Chris

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
David Lynch may be the only director who can pull it off

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Caesar Saladin posted:

The Souls games are pretty hard games, anybody who says they're easy is full of it. The enemies hit very hard and are aggressive and the death punishments can be pretty brutal. But once you learn how to play them, and the kind of gameplay that's expected of you, they are manageable for just about everybody with a bit of determination and patience. Honestly a rebalancing of an easy mode where they don't hit very hard would kind of just mess up the gameplay, if you could just beat the bosses down while facerolling through the attacks there isn't much of a game there at all.

I first played Demon's Souls when it came out in 2010 or whatever and I found it unbelievably hard, but after I came back to it I could smash my way through it with no problem. Its a game you can absolutely get better at once you get used to the controls and lean into the kind of pace and practices that it expects you to have during combat.

I'm Too Young To Die isn't really that interesting to me, either, but it's interesting for someone.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If you don't find that bass line interesting then that is absolutely a you problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

satanic splash-back posted:

If a game doesn't require skill or knowledge to complete, it isn't a game at all it isn't a game, it's a passtime, like watching paint dry.

It's spelled pastime and I think this realization might help your confusion and stuttering problem