Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Phantom. What the gently caress are with the faces? WHAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 1/13/52
I'm really curious to see how this money-making scheme is going to work. Kidnap and ransom? Just pretend they found the boy and hope there's a reward?

Guy Fawkes posted:

Parenthood is equally shared among both parents.
It can be, in cases where there are two parents. In some cases there are more and in others, fewer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ5-_ue43Jw

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Phantom. What the gently caress are with the faces? WHAT.

Apparently the usual artist is out sick

Luann

I hope this was posted to Stef's Snapgram, because if this is Bets' own fandom all like, "hooray, you're getting cheated on!" that's horrific.

Also I think Team Evans don't realize that while the Internet can absolutely be vile in comment sections, generally they're pretty anti-cheating and unless Stef's followers are mostly racist incels (which, granted, they plausibly could be) public opinion would generally favor the person who was cheated on.

Gil Thorp

GC never did post a Gil Thorp yesterday, so no make-up today, just this.

Home Free

At what point does the school send this kid to the counselor to get evaluated for something?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

Savage!

Gotta get the "Gordon's ALIVE" reference out of the way early

I was expecting this, honestly.

Also, that's some velvet painting poo poo going on in Phantom, could the eyes be any larger? Yes.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Disney's The Phantom King

No!!! Nooo!!!

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I hope Keith ends up arrested for stalking by a former subordinate. A saddened mentee.

A former cop? Impossible :(

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
In true Luann fashion, the “proof” of Gunther’s infidelity is the most milktoast picture imaginable. There is nothing in that picture that implies anything but two friends at a party sharing a photo.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
an insult to caspar milquetoast if anything, who would assume any number of wild conspiracies and salacious doings out of such close contact rather than just "they're fuckin"

i really do wonder what sort of background and like, life experience the evans have had for them to be so weirdly distant from the way anyone might actually behave

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Christ, I knew the Luann thing was going to be stupid and it is so much stupider than I was expecting :ughh::ughh::ughh:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I'm of the opinion that if things get stupider than expected in Luann, it's more realistic within the insane daddy-daughter-created fantasy world of the strip.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i feel like it would be painfully awkward to try and write a young-adult romance story with your dad (who probably patterned the characters on you/your friends to some extent, and who, let's not forget, put Luann in a teen abstinence pamphlet at least once), so i probably give karen evans more of the benefit of the doubt than is warranted

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I seem to recall Luann and Bernice once went to NYC and was utterly flabbergasted by the big town.

Also Luann begging someone (Gunther?) to pick her up from a party because there were people dancing and smooching!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

someone awful. posted:

i feel like it would be painfully awkward to try and write a young-adult romance story with your dad (who probably patterned the characters on you/your friends to some extent, and who, let's not forget, put Luann in a teen abstinence pamphlet at least once), so i probably give karen evans more of the benefit of the doubt than is warranted

I've always wondered similar about Jeff Keane, although I suppose it's easier to carry on writing your dad's comic strip about your fictionalized family when you're just writing you and your siblings as goofy little kids.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Murdstone posted:

Did the artist have a stroke or ?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 06, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I've always wondered similar about Jeff Keane, although I suppose it's easier to carry on writing your dad's comic strip about your fictionalized family when you're just writing you and your siblings as goofy little kids.

Jeff Keane can at least just simply go "if I were my Quaker-grade religious dad, what would I write". The Evanses have the most weird American traditional conservative family vibe that sometimes the writing and how it ostensibly should reflect being young college-age adults in America gives me the willies.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

The original wasn't as biblical as this, and used a Finnish colloquialism "the devil is now loose" which just means poo poo has hit the fan.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hostile V posted:

Let's All Eat The Placenta

What things did these two even do that deserve any gratitude? They used the camp like it's some witness protection deal, hardly looked after the children since one can't fly and the other can't walk around much due to her pregnancy, endangered the entire camp when the people after them breached its defenses and would've killed children if the murder-rabbit wasn't around. Not to mention the campers' parents are now going to have to deal with awkward questions of how babies are made thanks to Lindesfarne giving birth with the campers around.

Murdstone posted:

Can't he just, like, invite his son to stay? Tell him his training's done and he can take over the mantle? The Phantom's a moron who makes his own problems worse.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I hope this was posted to Stef's Snapgram, because if this is Bets' own fandom all like, "hooray, you're getting cheated on!" that's horrific.

Also I think Team Evans don't realize that while the Internet can absolutely be vile in comment sections, generally they're pretty anti-cheating and unless Stef's followers are mostly racist incels (which, granted, they plausibly could be) public opinion would generally favor the person who was cheated on.

Yeah, an influencer with a dedicated fandom would show more support for them. In Twitch, there are some people who take making fun of a streamer a bit too far, so the streamer sets up boundaries and reminds viewers that they're still people with feelings. And a good moderation team would time out or ban any troublemakers stirring up poo poo.

What's gross about this is that Team Evans is using the fact that there are assholes online to obfuscate their own desire to lay the entire blame on Bets. There's just a bit too much glee in these comments making fun of the person who got cheated on.

Julet Esqu posted:

Gil Thorp

GC never did post a Gil Thorp yesterday, so no make-up today, just this.

It's a pleasant surprise to see that the Demon of Baseball foreign-exchange athlete Coach Martinez scouted hasn't been forgotten. A lesser writer would've used Kwan as a one-off threat in a match and then not do anything with him ever again.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

amigolupus posted:

The Phantom's a moron who makes his own problems worse.

-Old Jungle Saying

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

JethroMcB posted:

Gotta get the "Gordon's ALIVE" reference out of the way early

Durn it, I was gonna make that observation.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've said it before, but the Evanses absolutely must have gone to a purity ball.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I know it's not even it the top 10 of art crimes with this comic but what the hell is going on with the perspective for that hatch? Or poo poo, with the ship in general. That's a bent girder, not a hull!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I respect the Overboard guy for always being willing to try to draw something.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
With the mentions of Toppen Jo straining himself, I wonder if this is clearing the way for Plank to return to the pitcher's mound. From the beginning I've been expecting a reveal that they trained him to throw with his left or something.

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 06, 1960)

It feels kind of out of character for Val to pretend he wants to keep a slave just so he can grandstand about it, but at least Foster punishes him for it.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers don't have much time left.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

The original wasn't as biblical as this, and used a Finnish colloquialism "the devil is now loose" which just means poo poo has hit the fan.

Not like Fingerpori to miss an opportunity to make a good Phantom reference. Maybe Devil isn't called Devil there?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/8/03

Brenda Starr 1/14-16/52

Green Intern posted:

Really hoping this is some kind of bloodsport.

Does the Korean War count?

Did Pesky join the military just to get laid?

Smokey Stover 11/24/57

Everyday Movies 12/11/36

"I've had the most remarkable piece of luck today, Mopey. Every time I wanted to cross the streets, the lights were with me."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/13-15/42

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 9, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Forbidden knowledge

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

With the mentions of Toppen Jo straining himself, I wonder if this is clearing the way for Plank to return to the pitcher's mound. From the beginning I've been expecting a reveal that they trained him to throw with his left or something.

It feels kind of out of character for Val to pretend he wants to keep a slave just so he can grandstand about it, but at least Foster punishes him for it.

I like Och, and Val's being a real poo poo. He could have had the slave collar removed at any time. I hope Och gets paid from Timmera's hoard.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He probably does need to do the public thing. Och is known as being a slave, if he's found without the collar and without an owner having declared him a free man then he's free game and probably returnable to local authority for a reward and subsequent punishment.

But Val has done it in the worst way for the poor man's mental health.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ghostlight posted:

Jughead's always been a hams before gams dude

Speaking of Archie and Jughead I was reading through the Hark! A Vagrant! archives and found this:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Keith in Mary Worth def seems lovely but the image of this buff dude with a whole muffin in his fist is very funny.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Speaking of Archie and Jughead I was reading through the Hark! A Vagrant! archives and found this:

KC Green had my favorite riff on Arch and Jug:

And I apologize for this continued detour into Webcomix Corner

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

I respect the Overboard guy for always being willing to try to draw something.

The art is part of the wholesome charm

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Medenmath posted:

Manumission requires witnesses. Sure, he could have just told the dude that that was what he was going to do, but his way kept the whole thing simpler.

goatface posted:

He probably does need to do the public thing. Och is known as being a slave, if he's found without the collar and without an owner having declared him a free man then he's free game and probably returnable to local authority for a reward and subsequent punishment.

But Val has done it in the worst way for the poor man's mental health.

But...it kept us hangin', didn't it?

Don't do it! IT'S A TRAP!

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

Sounds similar to "all hell broke loose", although I'm not sure how you'd make that make sense in this comic.

I'm continuing to really like the art on this. It really hits a good balance between being a clean modern style and still feeling a bit retro, and I like what it's doing with color.