Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
For me its RE4R because its the perfect action game with a cool horror aesthetic.

Roundhouse kicking cultists should be a subgenre of its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

I somehow didn't realize going in that Lunacid was a game by Kira, the creator of Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion. It's very much in their designhouse; a decently well-made and smoothly controlling conglomeration of unrelated copypasta-adjacent ideas that essentially requires the use of a guide to fully experience, and that begins to break down under the weight of its systems in the second half. With excellent music.

Any opinion on how it stacks up to Shadow Tower? It caught my interest since Iron Pineapple recommended it to fans of that game.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Only played it for a bit but so far it is a nice homage to Shadow Tower with some King's Field elements, like music and more traditional leveling.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lunacid is cool. you need a guide to experience all the really deep secret poo poo but, the secret poo poo is obviously just meant to be a neat bonus, the two endings that are most important to see and that convey the ideas kira wanted to convey with the game are the easiest ones to get and you can see basically all of the normal game content just by finding it yourself, the latter two endings are more like weird spooky what-ifs for people who bothered to put in enough time to explore the game in that way. it doesnt have any design issues that shadow tower didn't have besides, if you care about this, being a bit easy once you know how the mechanics work and get some good gear. but i dont think it needed to go out of its way to replicate the punishing difficulty of older fromsoft games, it's more interested in what kind of weird things it can give you to play around with while you explore its world and playing around with those tools is a lot of fun.

also while i did use a guide myself for exploring the latter two endings, i'd say it's an overstatement that you "need" a guide for them, not for both at least, just for the really crazy one. you do need one for finding all the weapons and magic since there's no in-game listing for those, but the conditions for the first weird alternate ending are very clearly laid out and the conditions for the other are all signposted by things you can find yourself by exploring, the only real difficult point is that getting all magic is essential for the last ending but, the last ending is again, clearly more of a weird little bonus, a funny homage to some games kira likes, not the "real" ending, and needing all magic for it is just part of the joke because the entire thing is just meant to be a funny drakengard reference

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 8, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Revitalized posted:

Man, I cannot decide what my favorite survival horror experience of 2023 is.

Dead Space, RE4R and Alan Wake 2 knocked it out of the park for me. I platinum'd all three of these games so like, I got tons of value out of them.

I think Dead Space is like, the better overall package of like gameplay and technical excellence... but Alan Wake 2 has staying power in my mind and I can't stop thinking about it. Aaaaahh

They're all great, I'd give the edge to RE4R over Dead Space on the gameplay end, though, it was at the top of my list just in terms of how good it felt to play.

I'm towards the end of Alan Wake 2 now, and it's a bit tougher to place. It's got more rough stuff in it and I have more gripes with it than the others, but it might be my favorite on a personal level despite all that. It's just got that distinctive Remedy touch that really sets it apart.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, MY favorite horror game of 2023 was- wait, Signalis came out last year. Well then-

Wait, Inscryption's release was TWO years ago.

I think my favorite horror game is looking at my Steam library and feeling the dawning realization that I'm getting old.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

girl dick energy posted:

Well, MY favorite horror game of 2023 was- wait, Signalis came out last year. Well then-

I think my favorite horror game is looking at my Steam library and feeling the dawning realization that I'm getting old.

Yeah that's a really good one

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
it's actually the worst game but I can't stop playing it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You need your steam library for that? I'm reminded by the mystery pains I experience every morning. Is it my knee? My shoulder? Some new and exciting part of my back?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

girl dick energy posted:

I played Signalis this year but yeah that's a shoe-in for 2022.

Captain Hygiene posted:

They're all great, I'd give the edge to RE4R over Dead Space on the gameplay end, though, it was at the top of my list just in terms of how good it felt to play.

I'm towards the end of Alan Wake 2 now, and it's a bit tougher to place. It's got more rough stuff in it and I have more gripes with it than the others, but it might be my favorite on a personal level despite all that. It's just got that distinctive Remedy touch that really sets it apart.

Alan Wake 2 to me is this weird example where gameplay isn't king. Like I think it's the weakest of the three I listed in that department, but everything else is so drat good that I just don't care it's "not as good".

RE4R was such a blast to play, but in my multiple runs of Dead Space, I was like constantly on edge. Their intensity director is legit, and the audio design is top notch. What a good year it's been.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Alan Wake 2 is the best overall game of that mix, RE4R has the most fun combat (despite me being a Wake 2 combat defender), idk I didn't finish Dead Space remake. It just feels much more one note than the other two games (I never finished the original either)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 days!)

I'm playing Lunacid and it's pretty cool. Basically I like the idea of these games and I played a few in the old days, but going back to archaic controls, UI and all the loading makes it not fun.

i don't know if I really like lunacid or just kind of like it yet, it's got my curosity but i'm starting to feel like the levels are a bit too big and empty. i've gone down too many paths which turned out to have nothing interesting in them. maybe i'm missing a lot of secrets, and maybe the long walks back to the warp points will be mitigated later (probably not), but i'm hoping the game is not too long because i will get bored.

got a nice jump scare from a skelly appearing behind me in the tomb while i was levelling up though. never knew it was following me.

i've reached the sanguine sea and explored a bit of the accursed tomb and can't get into the castle yet. i don't know how far that is, probably not far cos i've only played about 3 hours.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Revitalized posted:

RE4R was such a blast to play, but in my multiple runs of Dead Space, I was like constantly on edge. Their intensity director is legit, and the audio design is top notch. What a good year it's been.

I guess that's our difference, because that same reason can explain why I liked RE4R better :v:

I've played it three or four times now, it just hits the right level of fun action for me to go back to right away. Dead Space was tense enough that it's just a once-in-a-while thing, I played through it once and put it down for a long rest. And that's not a criticism, they're just going for different takes on the genre that I enjoy in different ways.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If I hadn’t played Dead Space before I would have put the remake up top for the year — it’s a very fun game to play scene to scene, good visuals and great sound, good gore. RE4R is really good too but once the SWAT guys showed up I had maximized my kit and I was good.

AW2 is the least good in terms of combat design, and only second in terms of environmental / art design (though its rendering tech is very good). As for plot, it was the only one I played before but is somehow also the one that surprised me the least. I didn’t have to drag my way through the others in the same way at any point.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Also in Alan Wake when you come in close on enemies you are never a German suplexing karate secret agent or a human rhinoceros swinging huge chunks of metal and yelling “gently caress you”

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've decided stray souls rules because it's so incompetently made that the police station level randomly has documents that dump the entire plot including half of what are presumably its major twists on you in huge blocks of text and one of them tells you your generic gold pistol is actually the gun that killed abraham lincoln and the original gun that killed abe lincoln was replaced with a perfect replica by the evil cult, and the reason the gun looks like a gold m1911 now is because the cult modified it with sacred objects and kept replacing parts on it until it started looking like an m1911

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My "I dunno if it even counts, but if it does, it's definitely this" for the last three years are Metroid Dread for 2021, the Ib remaster for 2022, and World of Horror for 2023.

Edit: Ib is definitely purely a nostalgia pick, though, so on second thought, I'll go for the comedy option of Elden Ring as my favorite horror-game-that's-not-a-horror-game of 2022.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 9, 2023

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

girl dick energy posted:

You tried playing Phasmophobia lately

The controller has too many buttons. There's too many drat kinds of ghosts. Why is everyone so good at it. Everything is different and I'm scared.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Revitalized posted:

I played Signalis this year but yeah that's a shoe-in for 2022.

Alan Wake 2 to me is this weird example where gameplay isn't king. Like I think it's the weakest of the three I listed in that department, but everything else is so drat good that I just don't care it's "not as good".

This is because, imo, the first job of a game is to do what any other medium does, which is to be engrossing or engaging, not necessarily just pure lizard brain entertainment. Alan Wake 2 sucked me in and by the time I was done I felt bummed because I knew I wasn't going to play anything that makes me the feel the way that game did for a hot minute. It reminds me of how I was just totally emotionally wrecked after finishing Kentucky Route Zero and it immediately became one of my favorite games I've ever played because of the effect it had on me. Something making a strong impression can be far, far more valuable than something that is just mechanically fun but not necessarily emotionally or intellectually engaging. It's big reason why I love Resident Evil 7 so much, that game's melancholy, rotting ambiance just hooks me and that's enough for me to enjoy it more than RE4R or RE8 which are both mechanically better games, but just don't have that same ineffable quality as RE7.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Alan Wake 2 sucked me in and by the time I was done I felt bummed because I knew I wasn't going to play anything that makes me the feel the way that game did for a hot minute.

Man, I'm feeling that right now. I'm at the point where I think I'm gonna wrap it up tomorrow, and I'm just feeling bummed about it, even though I paused Spider-Man 2 halfway through to play it. Like, I have a game sitting there waiting for me that would be a GOTY contender most years, and I'm just feeling like ":sigh: I guess I can get back to that"

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man, I'm feeling that right now. I'm at the point where I think I'm gonna wrap it up tomorrow, and I'm just feeling bummed about it, even though I paused Spider-Man 2 halfway through to play it. Like, I have a game sitting there waiting for me that would be a GOTY contender most years, and I'm just feeling like ":sigh: I guess I can get back to that"

Excited to get both of those games on sale next year after doing more damage to my backlog.

The horror games I completed over September and October:

Limbo
Sally Face
Doki Doki Literature Club
Ann
Critters for Sale
Signalis
Firework
Milk Inside
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Hellblade
Milk Outside
Amnesia: The Bunker

I think the best horror experience was Amnesia: The Bunker. Favorite game was Signalis, though.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

WaltherFeng posted:

For me its RE4R because its the perfect action game with a cool horror aesthetic.

Roundhouse kicking cultists should be a subgenre of its own.
While RE4R is great I don't think I would throw around the term perfect to describe it. The aim bloom and lethargic movement even if an intentional choice to make the game feel weighty were a little sloppy in my eyes, definitely could have been tightened up a bit.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 9, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RE4R was decent but I feel it's inferior in basically every way to the original.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

idontpost69 posted:

While RE4R is great I don't think I would throw around the term perfect to describe it. The aim bloom and lethargic movement even if an intentional choice to make the game feel weighty were a little sloppy in my eyes, definitely could have been tightened up a bit.

I never found the movement to be a problem and while the aim bloom is pretty dumb, I just put the laser sight on my pistol at all times just like the original.

I also play a lot of RE4make so I'm probably compensating for its faults with over a 100 hours of playtime

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Ibram Gaunt posted:

RE4R was decent but I feel it's inferior in basically every way to the original.

I feel it works great as a companion, but yeah. But then again, I'd be willing to go to bat for RE4 as probably the best video game ever made, so yeah. I'm biased.
Still, even with those super high standards, I really did enjoy REm4ke.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Having not played OG RE4 when it first came out and only recently (about a year before 4make), anyone calling it better than the remake are wearing some pretty thick nostalgia glasses.

It's okay to say you liked it way better, but calling og RE4 a better game in every way is just patently not true.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

This is because, imo, the first job of a game is to do what any other medium does, which is to be engrossing or engaging, not necessarily just pure lizard brain entertainment.

Agreed fully, but I also find it funny that I may have partially harmed my own experience with AW2 by jumping to Robocop: Rogue City halfway through the story when that had released. Which fits the conversation because uh, the Robocop game is fantastic and super engrossing in a way that is done better as a whole than AW2. Not so much a horror game I know but it's firmly on my recommendation list to others.

I must admit though my playthrough of AW2 was also hampered by some bugs, including one that prevented me from picking up a particular manuscript, and another where I didn't get the final reward for finding all the cult stashes. Also finding out there wasn't enough manuscript pieces to fully upgrade Saga's weapons felt kinda lame if you spread yourself thin on those.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

Having not played OG RE4 when it first came out and only recently (about a year before 4make), anyone calling it better than the remake are wearing some pretty thick nostalgia glasses.

Nah man lol. the dialogue is funnier, (the dialogue is terrible in 4R and removed most of the best scenes) the level design is better and more iconic. The OG doesn't have the stupid crafting system that adds nothing to the game, etc. There's alot of things the OG just straight up did way better that are not nostalgia goggled.

The only like objectively better thing 4R did was make the Krauser fight cool instead of a QTE thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

It's okay to say you liked it way better, but calling og RE4 a better game in every way is just patently not true.

it is

e: the remake’s krauser fight was also worse due to relying on that stupid crouch-to-dodge mechanic

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nah man lol. the dialogue is funnier, (the dialogue is terrible in 4R and removed most of the best scenes) the level design is better and more iconic. The OG doesn't have the stupid crafting system that adds nothing to the game, etc. There's alot of things the OG just straight up did way better that are not nostalgia goggled.

The only like objectively better thing 4R did was make the Krauser fight cool instead of a QTE thing.

I disagree, the level design is all over the place and there were multiple times in OG I went "really?" or just got exhausted at how contrived some of the places you went to were. Remake gets props for making the minecart ride both make sense and fit in the flow of the game, instead of "lol you need a key for this giant gate, go down this ladder and SUPRISE random minecart section. I was exhausted by the end of OG, in 4make I wanted to play again.

Also the lava rooms were v dumb and unnecessary, and the majority of the Island felt like huge padding.

I liked the dialogue in OG and thought it was one of the strongest parts fwiw, but the game overall had a different tone than what 4make was aiming for. Different =/= better.

Both Ashley and Luis both get infinitely better characterization, there's no contest there, even if the villains and Leon lost quite a bit of ham which was a bit of a shame.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I like the remake's story better but og is fun because it has a very goofy b-movie vibe to it. remake plays better for me as well because my brain is too spoiled by post-re4 third person shooters.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

https://youtu.be/B4wl3OVt8J4?si=EGVqIulIxl4-Pvcb

Im just posting this old clip of mine because it shows how my mind is broken from playing too much OG 4 and remake. I'm constantly menuing despite the remake having a perfectly functioning weapon hotkeys.

The cabin fight in Re4make is pretty drat excellent when everything comes together. Or you die in the last minute and start all over again.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

WaltherFeng posted:

https://youtu.be/B4wl3OVt8J4?si=EGVqIulIxl4-Pvcb

Im just posting this old clip of mine because it shows how my mind is broken from playing too much OG 4 and remake. I'm constantly menuing despite the remake having a perfectly functioning weapon hotkeys.

The cabin fight in Re4make is pretty drat excellent when everything comes together. Or you die in the last minute and start all over again.

Game: The Last of Us

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Probably the hardest thing for me with the RE4 remake is just the general "feel" of the controls, which is why I haven't sat down and given it a full playthrough yet. Everything feels really heavy and sluggish in a way I don't really like. The original's controls are definitely stiff and dated by modern standards, but they're also a lot tighter and more responsive so it feels more right to me as an action game. I probably just need to dedicate to RE4 Remake with an open mind so I can better understand it, but I do think I'll end off preferring the original.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 9, 2023

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Speaking of RE4, I need to finish the VR version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

Both Ashley and Luis both get infinitely better characterization, there's no contest there, even if the villains and Leon lost quite a bit of ham which was a bit of a shame.
i like og re4 ashley way more tbh. she felt way more like an actual rich college kid stuck in this bonkers situation.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I felt like it was an entirely different game in a good way

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I love it. That's why I took the coward's way out and decided they're both tied for my favorite in the series.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

woodenchicken posted:

I have high hopes for "Unsorted Horror", a free collection of tech-based mini experiences on Steam, downloaded it already but didn't have time to give them a go.

Thanks for posting about this - I'd never heard of it!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Amnesia the Bunker is my fav game of the year. It just ticks all the right boxes for me. Super tense, interesting setting, fun gameplay loop with the going back and forth. The length of the game too was perfect for me and the Halloween update added in extra gamemodes for a fun spooky night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
One thought I had towards the end of re4r is that there is a kind of latent novelty to 6th gen action spectacle that was lost in the 7th and 8th gen. I was never the biggest fan of the island in the original but I still found it neat in a way, I had zero enthusiasm for the equivalent in 2023.