Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fruits of the sea posted:

Some Muay Thai organizations have banned weight cutting.

How do they crack down on it? Like, how do you prove that someone's doing it so you can penalise them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Hyperlynx posted:

How do they crack down on it? Like, how do you prove that someone's doing it so you can penalise them?

I thought about this being difficult too, but I think it's specifically outlawed for cases where the fighter cuts so much weight they're able to drop into a lower weight class. They just don't let you do the fight if you were just fighting a weight class up. If you're just cutting water weight and staying in the same weight class there's no violation happening.

I'm not much for punchsports in general (like most sports I can enjoy it if I'm around people but I don't seek it out or follow it) but I do agree with the sentiment that it could make things more exciting and should be allowed. I don't know if fighters are dropping dead left and right from cutting, but it seems to me that any competent coach or sports medicine practitioner should be able to help a fighter safely drop weight. Of course, while it's not all meatheads, there are certainly always going to be athletes who overdo things. As someone who's into bodybuilding I can easily see how the addictive, 'more is more' mentality leads some people to abuse PEDs (or even just exercise and diet alone) and hurt themselves.

dupersaurus posted:

Preventative is a strong word, but UCL damage is pretty much guaranteed and natural healing is iffy, but in the last couple of decades it's become a reliable procedure so a lot of them get it done at the first sign of a problem; it's not a sure-fire thing, but not having it is a death sentence for your career. But it's still a 18-month recovery with no guarantee.

Whether it lets them throw harder is an open question (odds are because of rehab the elbow is probably stronger than it ever was), but it definitely can extend careers.

That's interesting, thank you. I was under the impression it was an entirely elective prophylactic measure that was just done as a matter of procedure for big-league pitchers. The mechanics of pitching in general is really fascinating to me, like Moneyball was great but I'd love to see a movie about the history of pitching and whatever kinesiologists discovered how to maximize its efficacy.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mister Speaker posted:

I thought about this being difficult too, but I think it's specifically outlawed for cases where the fighter cuts so much weight they're able to drop into a lower weight class. They just don't let you do the fight if you were just fighting a weight class up. If you're just cutting water weight and staying in the same weight class there's no violation happening.

That makes sense. If you remove the incentive to do it, you cut down on the practise

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hyperlynx posted:

Here are the rules ONE FC uses, not just for muay thai but for multiple combat sports:
https://www.onefc.com/martial-arts/

The main thing is that they check the athlete's "walking weight" at regular intervals during training and not just once on a designated weigh-in day, so it's not possible to train at a healthy weight and then dramatically cut down to meet weigh-in requirements, like boxers do. They also test hydration at the same time and disqualify anyone who's dangerously dehydrated.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 7, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There are some issues with kidney damage, blood clots and possible interactions with concussions that could make even physician supervised weight cutting a risk.

It’s been a while so I’m not up to date on this. But it wouldn’t surprise me if it increases the risk of some chronic illnesses later in life, not unlike concussions.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hyperlynx posted:

You weigh them somewhat regularly and their “weigh in” weight has to be within a certain percentage of their average weight.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Silver Falcon posted:

Talking out of my rear end here, but since I've been playing vidya games for like the past 30 years, I figure my opinion is as useful as anybody else's!

To me, a level or stage is a discrete set piece with a beginning and a goal. So like a Mario level where you have to reach the flag pole. You didn't ask but there's also a "world," which would be a collection of levels or stages tied together by a theme, like snow/desert/ocean to use Mario as an example again.

Game > World > Land > Stage > Level > Course > Room > Screen/Frame is typically how I've understood things to be but also people's language wouldn't always match the game's language and that really threw me, like each discussion required figuring these terms out.

quote:

You could also have a "course," but I think of that more of a racing game thing, as in a race coarse. But Mario games also use course to refer to a level, so I dunno Nintendo is weird!

A screen would be a subset of a level and kinda an outdated term these days. It was more relevant where you'd get to the end of a "screen" and the whole shebang would have to scroll and load the next bit, either to the side or up and down.

I get course for earlier Mario because it's a continual forward movement toward a kinda known end, unlike say Simon's Quest where you might take branching paths.

quote:

Frame is speedrunning poo poo. Just a specific point in an animation.

Kids used to say 'frame' for the types of games like Dark Castle where the background frame only changed when rooms changed but was otherwise static

quote:

Room is the easiest one. A contained space, like in your house. May or may not have something in it!

Room has always made sense because it's almost always been used fairly literally in my experience.

quote:

As to why these terms were used, sorry, I got nothing!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a 3-D printing mega thread somewhere? I potentially want to buy a 3-D printer, but want to know more about the process

mystes
May 31, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Is there a 3-D printing mega thread somewhere? I potentially want to buy a 3-D printer, but want to know more about the process
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973815

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Grassy Knowles posted:

Game > World > Land > Stage > Level > Course > Room > Screen/Frame is typically how I've understood things to be but also people's language wouldn't always match the game's language and that really threw me, like each discussion required figuring these terms out.

I get course for earlier Mario because it's a continual forward movement toward a kinda known end, unlike say Simon's Quest where you might take branching paths.

Kids used to say 'frame' for the types of games like Dark Castle where the background frame only changed when rooms changed but was otherwise static

Room has always made sense because it's almost always been used fairly literally in my experience.

And then there's Guild Wars 2, where "map" means "instance of the zone you're currently in" more often than it means the zone itself.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I've been doing some data analytics stuff, and while the analytics is fine and all the part I actually like is the really tedious cleaning up of hosed-up spreadsheets to make them usable. Is there a job title that encompasses data cleaning but not analytics? I want to know what I need to plug into Indeed to find my monotonous WFH dream job.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wouldn't that basically just fall under a subsection of data entry?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, but looking for WFH data entry is scams as far as the eye can see, whereas if you call it data cleaning or some variant of analytics work you get actual jobs that pay money.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Why is it that jar lids for home canning all have that same 2-part design, but jars of food in the grocery store all have 1-piece lids? What are the differences / advantages?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Why is it that jar lids for home canning all have that same 2-part design, but jars of food in the grocery store all have 1-piece lids? What are the differences / advantages?

The two part ones allow you to change out just the lid and not the band, since the band lasts pretty much forever but the lids need to be replaced sometimes (i think technically annually but i usually reuse mine if they pass visual inspection)

I have also heard it said in the home canning world that the one piece ones only get a really good seal once at the factory and never again (although they're fine for most purposes just maybe not for home canning)... that might be incorrect though idk but it's something I've heard

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There are folks who store the jars with only the flat part of the lid once the flat part expands since it shows an effective seal has been made.

There are things you can put in place of the flat part for other purposes, like cheesecloth to strain or allow for off-gassing fermentation without bugs getting in when making sauerkraut.

The flat part is not intended to be reused while the rings are.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

The two part ones allow you to change out just the lid and not the band, since the band lasts pretty much forever but the lids need to be replaced sometimes (i think technically annually but i usually reuse mine if they pass visual inspection)

So far as I'm aware, the lids are single-use. Of course, that's FDA "we're being super conservative because we don't want someone screwing up a judgement call and getting food poisoning" ruling, but honestly, they're super cheap.

Grassy Knowles posted:

There are folks who store the jars with only the flat part of the lid once the flat part expands since it shows an effective seal has been made.

My understanding is that it's recommended that you store jars without bands, because if you leave the bands on, they can disguise a failed seal.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So far as I'm aware, the lids are single-use. Of course, that's FDA "we're being super conservative because we don't want someone screwing up a judgement call and getting food poisoning" ruling, but honestly, they're super cheap.

My understanding is that it's recommended that you store jars without bands, because if you leave the bands on, they can disguise a failed seal.

That makes sense thanks, I appreciate cause I want to make kraut this winter

edit: knowledge for storage not for fermentation of course

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Am I missing something about Heathcare.gov? I was curious about my other options than my employer’s insurance so I enrolled. Once I was able to choose plans, I noticed they were ridiculously expensive. The lowest was something like $330/mo and a deductible higher than my “high deductible” $45/mo basic rear end plan

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Thanks Obama

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Am I missing something about Heathcare.gov? I was curious about my other options than my employer’s insurance so I enrolled. Once I was able to choose plans, I noticed they were ridiculously expensive. The lowest was something like $330/mo and a deductible higher than my “high deductible” $45/mo basic rear end plan

Your employer is paying part of the monthly premium, and maybe negotiated a better price

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

dupersaurus posted:

Your employer is paying part of the monthly premium, and maybe negotiated a better price

Ah, that would make sense then

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ah, that would make sense then

Your pay statement probably lists how much they’re paying

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Everett False posted:

I've been doing some data analytics stuff, and while the analytics is fine and all the part I actually like is the really tedious cleaning up of hosed-up spreadsheets to make them usable. Is there a job title that encompasses data cleaning but not analytics? I want to know what I need to plug into Indeed to find my monotonous WFH dream job.

as a data engineer, the buzzword i've heard a few times over the last few months for specifically what you're doing is 'data cleansing'. but in reality, this process has been around forever, most commonly as an accepted and integral element of ETL (extract, transform, load), a process in building data pipelines (dedicated and usually automatic ways to get data from one place to another). honestly, that's 90% of ETL or ELT, usually--taking some dataset in x format, understanding it, understanding what you want to do with it, then tailoring it for the destination's y format.

there is DEFINITELY a profitable skill here and you'll probably want to learn more advanced ways of cleaning data than hand-editing spreadsheets. python will be your friend here. also can use sql depending on things.

also, look up aws glue and dms. you'll love playing with these services.

honestly, you're taking the first step to becoming a data engineer. it's handily the most important step too.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 9, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Everett False posted:

I want to know what I need to plug into Indeed to find my monotonous WFH dream job.

Just so you know, if you apply for a monotonous WFH job right now you'll be competing with about 700 other resumes for any given posting. Those sorts of jobs are getting flooded with applications.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

wash bucket posted:

Just so you know, if you apply for a monotonous WFH job right now you'll be competing with about 700 other resumes for any given posting. Those sorts of jobs are getting flooded with applications.
Yeah, that's why I want there to be some keyword that I and 99% of the other randos don't know to unlock The Secret Good Jobs I'm convinced are hiding out there somewhere :v:

abelwingnut posted:

there is DEFINITELY a profitable skill here and you'll probably want to learn more advanced ways of cleaning data than hand-editing spreadsheets. python will be your friend here. also can use sql depending on things.

also, look up aws glue and dms. you'll love playing with these services.

honestly, you're taking the first step to becoming a data engineer. it's handily the most important step too.

I mostly use excel and powerquery right now, but I'm familiar with SQL and I've used Python before, so if those are a standard I'll brush up. Thanks!

Everett False fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 9, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Everett False posted:

Yeah, that's why I want there to be some keyword that I and 99% of the other randos don't know to unlock The Secret Good Jobs I'm convinced are hiding out there somewhere :v:

Well I spent 9 months this year looking for that same keyword before I gave up and took an in-office job. So if you ever figure out that magic word please do let me know.

Not trying to discourage you. Just letting you know which way the winds are blowing.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

80% employer paid, 20% employee paid is typical. https://www.bls.gov/news.release/ebs2.t03.htm

Some states also require at least 50% employer paid, and there's some ACA/IRS things that also kick in for employer penalties/credits for being over/under 50%

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

People who don’t have “affordable” insurance available through their or their spouse’s job are eligible for sliding subsidies on ACA plans if their income is less than 4x the federal poverty level designated for the state. At 1.5x FPL you pay nothing (and below that you’re likely eligible for Medicaid). Subsidized “silver” plans also have greatly reduced deductibles compared to unsubsidized plans.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i was always told accurate is a highly effective drug with highly volatile side effects. so much so that it was a real danger to take.

how true is this? people still take it and it hasn’t been banned so i imagine the negativity around it is somewhat manufactured. why, i don’t know.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
There's a drug called "accurate"?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe it's an autocorrect error for "accutane" or something?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

i was always told accurate is a highly effective drug with highly volatile side effects. so much so that it was a real danger to take.

how true is this? people still take it and it hasn’t been banned so i imagine the negativity around it is somewhat manufactured. why, i don’t know.

If you do mean accutane, yes it is a real fucker but it’s also a last resort so if you’re taking it you’re already in a bad spot.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

abelwingnut posted:

Assuming you did mean accutane:

From what I understand, the bad side effect mainly have to do with menstruation, pregnancy and fertility in women.
Some doctors still claim that it's also bad for male fertility or can lead to birth defects and miscarriages when used in men who then impregnate women, but I think there was never any proof for that and it sounds far fetched anyway.

There was some debate here in the Netherlanders about fifteen years ago about it being prescribed off label for contraception if girls responded too strongly to the real contraception drugs, but it was just the Christian parties crowing 'off label use of meds is wrong and should be banned' because that was a more palatable message than 'contraception is wrong and you're going to hell.'

If you're thinking about using it, though, consult your doctor before doing anything!

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've heard from people on the Internet that it can be pretty gnarly to take and that some of the side effects were worse than just having severe acne, for whatever that's worth.

Doctors use it as a last resort because of the risks associated with it, but some people don't have any of the more heinous side effects and are suited to it just fine. A lot of medicines are just a dice roll regarding how they affect the body.

Generally medicines don't get banned unless they're recreational or a lot more dangerous than accutane, they're just kept behind the access wall of a prescription and meant to be taken with the help and monitoring of a doctor.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yes, i meant accutane--sorry.

thanks for the input. my doctor seemed very...open to its usage, which kind of threw me off given i'd heard horror stories and just wanted to make sure. the big one i always heard was it amplifying depression and mental issues, but i don't have anything clinical in that department. at least i think.

and yea, this would be a last resort. i'm 39 and have been dealing with cystic acne since i was about 14 or so. it's worsening and i'm simply losing my mind about it and just want it gone, so i feel like going nuclear. my wife and i have our embryos stored so that's a non-worry.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 9, 2023

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Have the traditional Christmas and Thanksgiving menus in the US always overlapped so much? Like it’s basically the exact same food except maybe you have ham on Christmas instead of turkey.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Silly question: remember how with PC games back in the 90s they'd sometimes come with phone numbers for hint lines? Did any of you ever call one? What was the experience like?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

two fish posted:

Silly question: remember how with PC games back in the 90s they'd sometimes come with phone numbers for hint lines? Did any of you ever call one? What was the experience like?

I vaguely remember getting some advice on how to beat a level in a game who’s name I would never be able to remember.

I clearly remember getting reamed by my parents when the bill came.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

two fish posted:

Related question:
In the end credits of MST3K they always had a PO Box you could write to to be in a fan club i guess. They didn't say what to write to it though, just gave the address. I presume you were just supposed to send them your name and address.
Did anyone ever write to it? What happened?