Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Only the top 200 managers in my megacorp have their own offices, which suits the rest of us just fine - that way we know where they are. When they leave the office, they post on Yammer. Very handy.

The rest of us have hotel desks, except managers have the same corner hotel desks every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Dameius posted:

I have my own office now that I have to share with my intern when they're on site so they have space to learn their shapes and colors and how to read.

So you’re cool with unpaid internships.

Jk, I’m guessing you’re referring to your child and are, in fact, not cool with unpaid internships. Just in case the sarcasm was caught in the above statement.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ben shapino posted:

"why does this text box only take up like half the screen? make it full width, use that white space"
"actually, having text span the entire width of the page makes it tiring to read as your eyes have to move back and forth way further than necessary, leading to worse absorption and user experience. the user is literally getting tired out just by reading text. here are some articles backing this up. you might compare it to social media sites - they ALL use a set width of the main feed, to avoid this problem. i'd bet money you can't find me a single site designed in the last 15 years that actually uses the entire width of the page, or at least one that is anywhere close to popular or successful. whitespace needs to be used effectively to keep things user-friendly."
"yeah but the customers don't want to scroll more than they have to. just make it full width."

This is why magazines have text in columns.

Does anyone else do remote work in a cafe, library, or coworking space? I'm a translator so my work is low/medium confidentiality and I don't need to do any meetings or be strictly "on the clock".
My "office" at home is full of kids books and toys. I usually work at the dining room table, but I get distracted by snacks and dishes and laundry and life in general. I'm also less inclined to shitpost when I'm working in public.

When I had a massive project with a strict deadline I registered for a coworking space that was $60/month (ignoring the actual exchange rate) and $12/day for walk-in use. It was wonderful for one month, but for one day it's more cost effective to work at a cafe.

What are you favorite places to work? Do you choose based on price, facilities, or atmosphere?
I also want to hear about snacks and leg stretches.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They’re replacing all our poo poo with powerBI and it’s a loving trainwreck because powerBI sucks so bad aaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

peanut posted:

Does anyone else do remote work in a cafe, library, or coworking space? I'm a translator so my work is low/medium confidentiality and I don't need to do any meetings or be strictly "on the clock".
My "office" at home is full of kids books and toys. I usually work at the dining room table, but I get distracted by snacks and dishes and laundry and life in general. I'm also less inclined to shitpost when I'm working in public.

When I had a massive project with a strict deadline I registered for a coworking space that was $60/month (ignoring the actual exchange rate) and $12/day for walk-in use. It was wonderful for one month, but for one day it's more cost effective to work at a cafe.

What are you favorite places to work? Do you choose based on price, facilities, or atmosphere?

I frequently use a local co-working space that has private offices. I have a membership through work, so no $ out of my pocket--and they have baller snacks.

I used to be able to work from a cafe, but can't because it's now high confidentiality stuff. Before that though, Panera/BreadCo ruled because even though they have barely-qualifying-as-food food, they won't kick you out so long as you keep buying coffee, bagels, etc, every 4 hours. Their wifi is bockety though and they only have like, 2 things I can eat including black coffee, so my other preference there is Starbucks. Again they won't kick you out unless you bother people.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

History Comes Inside! posted:

They’re replacing all our poo poo with powerBI and it’s a loving trainwreck because powerBI sucks so bad aaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Ripppp. They did this to us, and it's great for me but sucks for literally everyone else in the company because everything is siloed off. So I run reports for *everyone*.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

History Comes Inside! posted:

A company I used to work for embedded Power BI into our web app and it was a disaster. It straight up couldn't handle even close to the amount of data it was supposed to at our price tier and Microsoft "support" boiled down to a guy calling me at some weird hours and getting me to record a new network session of the thing failing (which took hours to do for a task that could be completed in 15 minutes by the desktop version) and then promising it would be fixed in a future update (it wasn't). Rinse and repeat until I got tired of that poo poo and quit.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Reoxygenation posted:

The day I am forced back into office permanently rather than when I am needed to be there in person is the day I simply hand in my resignation lmao
We just got word this morning that after all of the focus groups and suggestions (we're talking months of work here) that it was decided that instead of 2 days a week, we're only going to be required to come in once per pay period as a guideline - manager discretion and my manager said "we're all gonna have a 1 on 1 and you can justify to me why you think you only need to come in once every two weeks" but hey, that's reasonable. The plan's set to take effect starting in December. Get out of our meeting and there's an email from the Department our office is under stating "we've decided to go with a 2 day a week hybrid model for everyone" :suicide:

They announced this during an all-hands meeting (that I missed because we were in our normal team meeting) and I guess people just poo poo. More than a few folks were hired on as telework only/hired in rural areas and now they're going to have to commute to an office gently caress-knows-where. For us it was "aw poo poo, well guess we won't be changing anything then" but understandably a lot of people are pissed. They already have retention problems because it's government and it pays poo poo compared to private sector, so I expect to see a lot of resignations in other orgs over the next 6 months before the plan is set to take effect. Also this change was partially based on a survey they've been sending out every few months and a chunk of people said they were lonely at work. gently caress you, get some friends or a goddamn puppy :argh:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bored posted:

So you’re cool with unpaid internships.

Jk, I’m guessing you’re referring to your child and are, in fact, not cool with unpaid internships. Just in case the sarcasm was caught in the above statement.

Oh they're paid in room and board plus a stipend that goes into way too many toys all over the place. Plus they get two free personal chefs and house cleaning.

Yes, it is my kid and all work should be paid work regardless of what they try to call it.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

SubponticatePoster posted:

Also this change was partially based on a survey they've been sending out every few months and a chunk of people said they were lonely at work. gently caress you, get some friends or a goddamn puppy :argh:

This is the thing that gets me really loving bad. Like, work is work. Some people REQUIRE it that it also be a social outlet for them. And like. Great. But I don't want that? So them imposing poo poo on us because they are the loud minority loving blows.

Profits are through the roof, employee happiness is at an all-time high : WE BETTER gently caress IT UP !!!!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Variance to job duties is subject to consideration, this is a basic rule of contract law. A stated reason for returning to the office is 'your coworkers want to socialize with you', but it's unlikely your duties include 'entertain coworkers'. As such, if you are required to go to the office to provide socialization services to coworkers, your employer needs to renegotiate your employment contact to your benefit.

IANAL and this may not hold up under legal scrutiny.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What's a contract

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

peanut posted:

There's a brewery near my house that I work from once a week or so. I tend to save my really tedious tasks for it, like formalizing documentation. Having someone bring you beer makes the tedious stuff a lot less so.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

zedprime posted:

What's a contract

It's a thing that people with theoretical rights have that gets ignored.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

blackmet posted:

I have no idea what they did last year in this group.

I know my old group would push both the hotline and processing team forward. There were a couple of exceptions on the processing side, but we generally put those people in charge of some manual workflows so they would have a reason to be there early.

My manager doesn't care as long as you cover your 2-2.5 hour hotline shift and work is basically getting done. He actually comes in and leaves an hour early himself, and said it was OK to match his schedule when I first joined.

I chose to match the rest of the teams schedule anyway because I figured out pretty quickly that a lot of my training was taking place in the late afternoon, but asked to stay on the earlier shift on Mondays due to my weekly therapy appointment. He was fine with it. Now...it may be an issue.

If the therapy is for something that could be considered a disability (eg depression, anxiety), and if they know about the reasons, then you have a reasonable accommodation in place with the schedule adjustment. How much you want the push back on this is of course a strategic decision

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Rapidly losing patience with the employee who is accusing me of psychological harm because I asked them to describe where their former name was appearing in the business software we use

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

bee posted:

Rapidly losing patience with the employee who is accusing me of psychological harm because I asked them to describe where their former name was appearing in the business software we use

Like "show me and we'll get it fixed"? If they don't show you it can't be fixed?!? If that's the situation :psyduck:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Yes, that's the situation. Apparently "IT troubleshooting is not my job and you asking me for screenshots is unreasonable". Well news flash my friend, IT is not my job either (I'm diversity & inclusion) and yet I'm still trying to sort this out for your rude arse. I'm just going to be trying with a lot less urgency now

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

bee posted:

Yes, that's the situation. Apparently "IT troubleshooting is not my job and you asking me for screenshots is unreasonable". Well news flash my friend, IT is not my job either (I'm diversity & inclusion) and yet I'm still trying to sort this out for your rude arse. I'm just going to be trying with a lot less urgency now

"Okay. Let me know when you can provide me with more information so that I can assist you " boom, done.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thesaurus posted:

"Okay. Let me know when you can provide me with more information so that I can assist you " boom, done.

Lol if you think so

That said, I don't envy you having to deal with this, that stuff just ends up everywhere and it's tough to track it all down

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I've spent over a year periodically asking a company to update their contact list because they keep sending important emails to an address that hasn't been used in three years years.

They still send notifications to the wrong email.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Outrail posted:

I've spent over a year periodically asking a company to update their contact list because they keep sending important emails to an address that hasn't been used in three years years.

How do you know the emails are going to that address if you're not, you know, using that email address?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Because I have to log in and find their stupid email amongst the spam that never stops so I can keep the transaction going. There's a permanent out of office attached to it so people know who to email instead.

All the emails go to me except billing. They'll tell me 'available in a few months' and when it's available send the invoice to the wrong email and not confirm the order with me. A few months later I check in on progress and it's 'oh you never paid the invoice so we cancelled the order, should we reorder?'. If I don't periodically ask them they'd never tell me and assume the thing I said was urgently needed wasn't needed.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Agents are GO! posted:

How do you know the emails are going to that address if you're not, you know, using that email address?

Our forms list the people who will get the notifications that they have an action. The forms are rarely updated and there's no contact form for getting in touch with the people or group that should be maintaining the forms. This is how we have three people listed on the supplier add form and two of them left the company in 2019. The third is in a different department and has blocked the notifications.

The easy answer is to have group accounts or distribution lists, and some forms do! Some even work! Others had a single administrator and because there's zero clear instruction on anything they didn't know how to add admins or transfer ownership, so when they took a new role or left the company no one was able to maintain the list and then either it became useless within a year or someone took it upon themselves to start a new distribution and ran into the same problems shortly after.

People wonder why it takes so long to get anything done internally at the company and when I explain this situation to them they wonder how we stay in business. The reality is that the worst thing that could ever happen to us is winning new business and needing to expand the supplier base or design new parts. I am fairly confident we just bid on new blocks of existing products and derivatives of platforms we have content on to avoid having to confront the rot in our systems.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Outrail posted:

Because I have to log in and find their stupid email amongst the spam that never stops so I can keep the transaction going. There's a permanent out of office attached to it so people know who to email instead.

All the emails go to me except billing. They'll tell me 'available in a few months' and when it's available send the invoice to the wrong email and not confirm the order with me. A few months later I check in on progress and it's 'oh you never paid the invoice so we cancelled the order, should we reorder?'. If I don't periodically ask them they'd never tell me and assume the thing I said was urgently needed wasn't needed.

Set up a forwarding rule?

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

bee posted:

From what you've said and your title, is it a deadname they're trying to get rid of? That would match with the psychological harm claim. Best of luck, trying to root out something sensitive like that sucks rear end

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Collateral Damage posted:

Obviously I would prefer if people could have their own offices, but I don't think we're ever going back to that.

A loving cubicle can't be too much to ask, surely?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
No you get the long table

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Set up a forwarding rule?

I don't want that much spam. How about they update their billing address?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Close the account so they bounce.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Outrail posted:

I don't want that much spam. How about they update their billing address?

You can set up a forwarding rule so that it only forwards things with a specific subject line in addition to the recipient. Then only those specific emails would get forwarded

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I mean, they could also just update where they send bills. Unless they're trying to be obtuse because they don't want them as a client.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

BitBasher posted:

You can set up a forwarding rule so that it only forwards things with a specific subject line in addition to the recipient. Then only those specific emails would get forwarded

'Hey Gmail, can you only forward emails that I need from people I want to hear from. Read my mind TIA!'

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ravus Ursus posted:

I mean, they could also just update where they send bills. Unless they're trying to be obtuse because they don't want them as a client.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by the presence of an oxygen thief.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

A loving cubicle can't be too much to ask, surely?
Apparently it can.

We had to pester the building manager for half a year to get some sound deadening room dividers so the entire floor wasn't completely open.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
A single forwarding rule is simple, but it's not a substitute for them fixing their poo poo. All it takes is a bit of staff turnover for the purpose behind the rules to get lost and the emails forgotten.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Open offices literally make me so so so anxious, I absolutely get less work done. Its such a dumb loving self-own for a company to do.

Seeing 90s movies complaining about cubicles is enough to make ya cry. The moment he breaks down his cubicle wall in Office Space is not as triumphant as it seems, in retrospect. it only works because his cubicle was near the window and no one else did it. bc if everyone else had no walls then bro, you would want to keep that wall, for real

Staring at cubicle walls all day sucks, sure, but it sucks less than having to listen to your coworker chew loudly with their mouth open a few feet away, or having to have your screen visible to the whole company any time they walk by. And I was able to customize my cubicle to make it pretty rad. Kept some cereal and a bowl in my filing cabinets, and I'd use the office milk in it to have breakfast, lol. Kept some snacks in there - kept myself fed. You can't do that poo poo with an open office of floating desks.

I also kept a little 'freshen up' kit in my cube, with travel-size toothbrush/toothpaste/mouthwash, deodorant, some face wipes, and a little perfume spray. Just in case I ended up working too much and needed a freshen up. Now its like, you gotta haul all that poo poo in your bag if you come in. And places are getting so cheap, you could probably get in trouble for using the office 'coffee' milk for cereal.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 9, 2023

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Another round of layoffs today, taking essential people off of various teams, including our only maintenance worker and his backup. Guess the bathrooms are gonna be trashed now, or they'll pay twice as much for an external cleaning service. Meanwhile we lost an essential person that can't be replaced, and we've got more bad news getting announced later today. Just great.

Would be nice if any of the many openings I've applied to would even say "we've moved on and not selected you", let alone gotten back to me with any interest. Already financially precarious.

e: "we have to think like a startup" from upper management, I'm tired of drowning in red flags where I'm at while not being able to get out

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 9, 2023

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Outrail posted:

A major IT vendor I used to work with dismissed a bunch of partners from their partner program last year. They gave notice by emailing the addresses on file from when the partners originally registered, and never bothered to confirm that they were still valid.

There were quite a few angry discussions when partners discovered that they were no longer authorised to work with their own customers. 😄

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I have a very common name and I have the gmail address for it so I get a lot of random crap. I once got sent a link to a Google doc to approve home building plans and I updated them to be better. No one else updated them after that. I hope those people enjoyed their improved natural lighting and heated floors.