Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I make margaritas enough I should probably futz with my ratios and see if I prefer something custom. I always just do the classic 2:1:1, no added sugar, bit of salt in the shaker because gently caress rimming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I find a bit of sugar is like a bit of salt in that the right amount makes the flavors really pop such that it doesn't even taste more sweet, but more of a fuller, better cocktail generally. That ratio is of course unique to each person and recipe, but for me margs really come alive with a bit of sugar. I also quite dislike the Tommy's margarita, I think it's a nomenclature issue getting in the way, because if you called it a Tequila daiquiri I think I'd like it, but it when I've ordered one I expect a margarita, and without that orange flavor, it isn't one to me!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah it's like cooking in that way. The orange liqueur has the sugar though, if it were a sugarless orange that would be unbearable. More often than not my cocktail problem is that it's too sweet so I'm always erring on the side of not adding sugar but I should experiment a little.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

prayer group posted:

oh my god i wasn't gonna mention it because i thought i was weird for liking it this way but my marg is 2oz tequila, 0.75oz lime, 0.5oz dry curacao, 0.25oz 2:1 syrup. thank you for validating me

Nice

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Grabbed some Key Limes from the grocery store, any specific cocktails I should make with them? Juicing them is annoying.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The place I'm going seems to have the 1840 on sale for $39/bottle when normal prices seem to be around $50. Even $39/bottle is tough to stomach for a mixing liquor but good brandy is expensive so I guess I will try it.

Pierre Ferrand 1840 is what I use for all my mixed drinks and it's really good. Also seconding Hennessy as an affordable but good mixer. I've used both to good effect in egg nog, but sidecars are my go to cognac drink and they're both good in that as well. I really like a Fish House Punch as well:

2 oz cold seltzer
¾ oz cognac (Pierre Ferrand 1840)
¾ oz Jamaican or aged rum (Appleton Estate blend)
¾ oz creme de peche
¾ oz lemon juice
¼ oz simple syrup
1 strip lemon peel
1 lemon wheel and nutmeg for garnish

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
My eggnog’s got bonded applejack (with rye and Jamaican rum) in it this year. Wonder how it will be!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXMYJVpTl4g

I was prepared to be relatively smug this entire video, but it looks like I need to refrigerate my St Germain. It's definitely looking cloudy. Kind of a shame, because it's a cool bottle to have out on your shelf

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah st German don’t last long, gotta drink that quick.

Edit: huh, he says it’s safe and flavorful, it just turns a gross color. News to me

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 26, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do I need to bother putting vermouth in the fridge before it’s opened, or do I only need to fridge them after they’re opened?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
After opening. It's handy to have it already cold when you go to make your first couple drinks with it, though.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I like chilled Noilly Prat dry just by itself so I always put it in the fridge to chill even if unopened.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Siete Leguas blanco is real good. Also got another bottle of Tequila Ocho plata, the 2023 is quite different than the 2021 I had. Still good, interesting how much it changes. This one almost has some Jamaican rum funk elements to it.

The more I explore the more I think I'm a blanco guy. Reposados and anejos have their charm but I like how punchy blancos are.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 27, 2023

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Siete Leguas blanco is real good. Also got another bottle of Tequila Ocho plata, the 2023 is quite different than the 2021 I had. Still good, interesting how much it changes. This one almost has some Jamaican rum funk elements to it.

The more I explore the more I think I'm a blanco guy. Reposados and anejos have their charm but I like how punchy blancos are.

I've recently made the move from rum to tequila and I'm really enjoying it. I still like rum but tequlia is easier for me to drink. I like really funky rums and they're all higher proof, which I'm not really into.

Tequila Ocho is probably my favorite producer, their price points are good and people aren't price gouging for it like Fortaleza. It looks like Ocho recently released some single estate reposado and anejo, might pick them up as they're priced decently. The Siete Leguas 7 Decadas Blanco is really good. I wouldn't pay the $150 they're asking for, I'm sure you can find it for $100-$130.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm a big big fan of Mijenta and Wild Commons blancos.

Those in a Ranch Water or a Paloma on a hot day is A+.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Finally visited my friend’s house, been meaning to check out his bar for a while

The man loves working with bitters

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I have worked less well stocked commercial bars, noice.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
My setup isn't the fanciest fanciest but it's got personality

Auxiliary rum corner

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just got tropical standard and the recipe for the mai tai is different than the one from the video. I feel betrayed.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody ever had passion fruit syrup get little chunks in it? Tastes ok, not "turned" but the texture is off. I make mine reducing juice + white sugar + adding pulp. It lasted for quite a few months. Just real confused. Sugar falling out of solution maybe?

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
My friend brought me back a little bottle of "kumquat cream liquer", any ideas on how to actually use this?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Mix it with some rum.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mic it with loquat liqueur and you can make somequat cocktails.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Still working on my collection of spirits, but this is my bar setup contribution.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is there a better coconut rum I should be using other than Malibu or Parrot Bay?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a better coconut rum I should be using other than Malibu or Parrot Bay?

Coconut Cartel is a good option. It’s proofed down with coconut water, rather than having other flavorants added.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Koloa is also supposed to be very good though I've never had the chance to try it myself.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

It depends on what you're looking to do. There's a specific suntan flavor that you're likely not going to get from anything more upscale. That said I know Greg from H2D recommends the coconut cartel as a solid option for rum and coconut, but it's not quite the same thing.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, “rum with coconut” is definitely different from “coconut rum,” there’s no denying that. But coconut rum as a flavor is like a McDouble, it just sort of is defined by its essential junkiness.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grand Fromage posted:

Koloa is also supposed to be very good though I've never had the chance to try it myself.

It's very nice. Way better than Malibu.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

With a little adjusting to the ingredients and ratios the Lei Lani Volcano is one of the most approachable tiki cocktails I’ve found. For people who don’t want powerhouse rum flavor and shitloads of spice but still want something tropical it’s a great drink in the Pina Colada category but in larger format, no heavy coconut solids and no expectation of being frapped.

It’s the only reason I keep coconut rum around, and once I finish this bottle of Bacardi I’m determined to track down a Plantation Cut & Dry.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
This punch post has been getting some buzz, positive and negative. https://punchdrink.com/articles/dons-mix-zombie-cocktail/

Basically it says use grapefruit essential oil and extract the cassia yourself in high proof alcohol for Don's mix, important part of a Zombie. Then super dilute and just make syrup. I like to use all the peel myself when I make a grapefruit preparation. Where you get the oil from.

Anybody ever worked with food grade essential oil? I have some lemon, it's better than extract imo.

I will say the youtube it links Art of Drink is amazing. I want a proper lab setup now with a separatory funnel hooked up to a vacuum. Also just bought his book.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 9, 2023

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Anyone have any thanksgiving/holiday themed cocktails they like? I've been press-ganged to be the drink guy at this year's. I've got some options picked out (gonna go 1 boozy and 1 sweet) but figured it'd be good to ask. We all have SUPREMELY unrefined palates, like, I made Alabama slammers once and was treated like a king

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

Anyone have any thanksgiving/holiday themed cocktails they like? I've been press-ganged to be the drink guy at this year's. I've got some options picked out (gonna go 1 boozy and 1 sweet) but figured it'd be good to ask. We all have SUPREMELY unrefined palates, like, I made Alabama slammers once and was treated like a king

I have tried and failed for a number of years to make a good Thanksgiving cocktail that wasn’t just an old fashioned or something. Every time, I end up spending a lot of money on cognac, apple brandy, amaros, the works. Never again.

For Christmas this year, I’m making a big bowl of Yuletidal Wave punch. I’ve had that before and it rocks.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I would just do an American Trilogy as the boozy one.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Turnpikes!

.75 applejack
1 rye
. 75 lemon
. 75 syrup (I have 2:1 so I use a little less rn)

It's about as Thanksgiving a drink as I can think of. Been drinking them all of October and will probably be making some at Thanksgiving too!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I usually do some kinda gin sour with cranberry, you can either make a cranberry syrup or infuse cranberries into the gin. Lemon for the sour, rosemary for the garnish.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I forgot the Why Not was my big fall cocktail last year. I need to make one soon

1 3⁄4 oz Bourbon
1⁄2 oz Triple sec, Cointreau
3⁄4 oz Lemon juice
1⁄2 oz Maple syrup
1 Lemon (wheel, as garnish)
1 lf Sage (as garnish)
Instructions
Shake, strain, one big rock, garnish.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

I forgot the Why Not was my big fall cocktail last year. I need to make one soon

1 3⁄4 oz Bourbon
1⁄2 oz Triple sec, Cointreau
3⁄4 oz Lemon juice
1⁄2 oz Maple syrup
1 Lemon (wheel, as garnish)
1 lf Sage (as garnish)
Instructions
Shake, strain, one big rock, garnish.

This is a great choice. Seasonal and a crowd pleaser. I drink these year round, is the only reason it doesn’t register as “Thanksgiving” to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I did Punchy's First Strike last year and it was a big hit.

.75 oz Cherry Heering
.75 oz Clement Créole Shrubb (or any orange/triple sec)
.25 oz Allspice Dram
.75 oz Becherovka (I didn't have this at the time so I used Vincenzi Amaro Di Torino -- which I actually liked a lot and should get more of)
.75 oz lemon

Dry shake, pour over crushed ice in a double old-fashioned glass.
Garnish with 5 dashes of Peychaud’s.

(I don't understand why the dry shake if there's no egg or other emulsifier in it though?? What does dry shaking do in this case? What am I missing here)