Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Someone in the PS5 thread bought that for me presumably after I said something derogatory about JRPGs! I dont even know the big titty anime character being depicted!

But also the burlesque show was cancelled because the entire crew had covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Wolfsheim posted:

Someone in the PS5 thread bought that for me presumably after I said something derogatory about JRPGs! I dont even know the big titty anime character being depicted!

But also the burlesque show was cancelled because the entire crew had covid

Yikes, that sucks on both accounts.

That being said, there are worse avs to have. Like this one:

Although at least it's funny

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

No Mods No Masters posted:

In the post prequels context it's almost impossible to imagine yoda sincerely believing luke had any chance against the emperor particularly, considering how that went for yoda when he tried it.

This is a misconception based on the fact Yoda failed, watch the fight again. Yoda throws everything right back at Sheev who keeps retreating before finally running away. Yoda didn’t lose, Sheev fled.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Yoda never asks Luke to kill Vader, and with the "there is another" remark he's implied to see farther than Obi-Wan. It's possible he anticipated what could happen with Vader, or just that they didn't really have a plan and were stoically relying on fate.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Extra row of tits posted:

This is a misconception based on the fact Yoda failed, watch the fight again. Yoda throws everything right back at Sheev who keeps retreating before finally running away. Yoda didn’t lose, Sheev fled.

I'm not sure about that. Palpatine's not particularly perturbed by Yoda's arrival, and knocks him down with a fairly mild blast of lightning. Palpatine gloats and gives him time to recover, and generally seems confident of his chances. Yoda knocks him over his table, and Palpatine does go to escape -- but he then makes no move to disengage once they're duelling. In fact, he's laughing!

Once the swords are out, the two appear pretty evenly matched. Yoda perhaps has a slight advantage, which might be why Palpatine begins hurling the senate pods at Yoda. Yoda has no counter to this beyond evading. He does manage to catch exactly one senate disc and throw it back, but seemingly only because Palpatine fell prey to cackling to himself about seemingly hitting him. Palpatine dodges the returned projectile with more ease than Yoda displays.

From there, Yoda charges Palpatine, gets immediately disarmed, and blasted with force lightning. Yoda is able to contain Palpatine's barrage of force lightning, but not without effort, and the detonation really seems more like an attempt to take Palpatine down with him than anything else. Either way, it doesn't work and Yoda is flung down to the floor of the chamber, literally clinging by the edge of his nails, while Palpatine dangles from the edge of the senate pod, cackling to himself.

Yoda is clearly pushing himself to his limit, but it's arguable whether Palpatine is. Even Palpatine's initial attempt to supposedly flee can really be understood as just not fighting a battle he doesn't have to -- he's already won. By the end of the fight, a desperation move from Yoda has really only evened the playing field for a moment, seemingly at a much higher cost to Yoda than his opponent. I'm not at all sure how you can argue that Palpatine fled, nor that Yoda didn't lose.

Even the novelization points out that Yoda couldn't prevail in a direct confrontation, and more to the point, that by things getting to that point he and the Jedi had already lost.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yoda crawls away from that fight through a air vent, I don't think you can say he wins.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yoda also loses his robe and his lightsaber at the end of that fight.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
karmic punishment for mace windu telling anakin to 'take a seat' earlier in the movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda the point is that the Jedi were narrow-minded and the Sith through Palpatine were dangerously open-minded. Came up before, hilariously little changes about the entire series if Palpatine isn't even a Sith, just has the same plan and methods. The Jedi devoted themselves to upholding the status quo, the Sith turned that status quo against them- with the opening shots of the Clone Wars, the Jedi had already lost.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

josh04 posted:

Yoda crawls away from that fight through a air vent, I don't think you can say he wins.

"On the holonet, say that I was owned you do not. Tactical withdrawal this is"

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
"Return some video tapes, I must."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Blood Boils posted:

"On the holonet, say that I was owned you do not. Tactical withdrawal this is"

... as Yoda shrinks, slightly, into a corncob.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

YaketySass posted:

Yoda never asks Luke to kill Vader, and with the "there is another" remark he's implied to see farther than Obi-Wan. It's possible he anticipated what could happen with Vader, or just that they didn't really have a plan and were stoically relying on fate.

errr didnt obi wan have an ongoing relationship with leia, like saving her from extremely slow moving kidnappers or something. he would have known there was another. also that jedi randomly pop up all the time, he could have gone force ghost galavanting through the galaxy massaging midichlorians until he found another dumb broom kid ready to learn how to force pull his pud.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Their plan is at least in part to throw Anakin off his game by sending his own kids (and implicitly the ghost of his dead wife) after him.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

josh04 posted:

Their plan is at least in part to throw Anakin off his game by sending his own kids (and implicitly the ghost of his dead wife) after him.

anakin, upon learning his buddy's superweapon was blown up by a family member of undetermined relation: gently caress i knew i should have gone to thanksgiving at owen's

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Is Donald Pleasance trying to help THX or to hurt him?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

He wants THX to be his new roommate because he's not a slob. He likes the way their society works, and wants to manipulate it to fulfill his own petty desires. In contrast, THX (via LUH) is able to break away from the system completely, and while it definitely has consequences, he's able to fully embrace unobstructed humanity and escape to the surface.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FunkyAl posted:

Is Donald Pleasance trying to help THX or to hurt him?

He is trying to assume the Pumaman's powers

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Bogus Adventure posted:

He is trying to assume the Pumaman's powers

I have it on good authority he is funky.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

George Lucas has mentioned that his first three feature films have a lot of thematic consistency, specifically regarding people leaving familiar worlds and venturing out into the unknown, so THX, American Graffiti, and Star Wars can kind of be loosely connected together as a thematic trilogy, with the first to acting as weird alternate pseudo-prequels to Star Wars.

THX is all about a society that's highly consumerist, heavily medicated, and incredibly tightly controlled. It's a sci-fi dystopia where emotion and feeling are prohibited, and the protagonist character has an awakening that ends with him reaching the surface and staring into the setting sun. Given how similar this shot is to Luke's Binary Sunset in Star Wars, THX himself could maybe be read as the first Jedi, the first Rebel breaking away from the Empire, or (cynically) the Emperor taking his first steps to tear down the bureaucratic nightmare that the Republic is in the prequels.

Then American Graffiti takes place in a small nowhere town with a group of friends who like girls and hot rodding, and happens during their last night of freedom before adulthood. This is basically what Luke and his friends would have been getting up to before Star Wars kicks off, and the movie ends with "Biggs" heading off to join the Imperial Academy. Interestingly, one of the characters is stated to have joined the military to fight in the Vietnam war, only to go MIA. This actually lines up pretty well with Luke's journey - joining the Rebellion and then loving off to go do Jedi stuff halfway through. In American Graffiti, the character that does this is Terry "The Toad" Fields - and although he's not as much of a geek, Luke "Wormie" Skywalker seems to occupy a similar place in the social hierarchy of his friends (if the movie's deleted scenes are to be believed.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

SolarFire2 posted:

I have it on good authority he is funky.

No one rocks black leather quite like him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing that Lucas supposedly said or it was heavily implied in old EU stuff that THX and Star Wars (and American Graffiti) all take place in the same universe. Maybe Indiana Jones, too.

Also probably E.T.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing that Lucas supposedly said or it was heavily implied in old EU stuff that THX and Star Wars (and American Graffiti) all take place in the same universe. Maybe Indiana Jones, too.

Also probably E.T.
Yeah it's this universe

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

At one point in the 90's there was a book trilogy in development called Alien Exodus which would have connected all the Lucas-directed properties together, but as the project evolved it eventually lost the Star Wars branding and instead took place in an original sci-fi universe.

When it was a Star Wars project, the idea was that the descendants of the American Graffiti characters built a spaceship to escape Earth in the 25th century when their society was beginning to become the one seen in THX-1138. They fell into a wormhole and popped out in the distant past of the Star Wars galaxy, eventually settling on the planet that would become Corellia.

ET's species definitely exists in Star Wars, since they have a seat in the Senate in Episode I, and several artifacts from the Indiana Jones series have popped up in Star Wars shows over the years, including the Ark of the Covenant, the Sankara Stones, an alien Crystal Skull, and even Indy's whip frozen in carbonite.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Robot Style posted:

George Lucas has mentioned that his first three feature films have a lot of thematic consistency, specifically regarding people leaving familiar worlds and venturing out into the unknown, so THX, American Graffiti, and Star Wars can kind of be loosely connected together as a thematic trilogy, with the first to acting as weird alternate pseudo-prequels to Star Wars.

THX is all about a society that's highly consumerist, heavily medicated, and incredibly tightly controlled. It's a sci-fi dystopia where emotion and feeling are prohibited, and the protagonist character has an awakening that ends with him reaching the surface and staring into the setting sun. Given how similar this shot is to Luke's Binary Sunset in Star Wars, THX himself could maybe be read as the first Jedi, the first Rebel breaking away from the Empire, or (cynically) the Emperor taking his first steps to tear down the bureaucratic nightmare that the Republic is in the prequels.

Then American Graffiti takes place in a small nowhere town with a group of friends who like girls and hot rodding, and happens during their last night of freedom before adulthood. This is basically what Luke and his friends would have been getting up to before Star Wars kicks off, and the movie ends with "Biggs" heading off to join the Imperial Academy. Interestingly, one of the characters is stated to have joined the military to fight in the Vietnam war, only to go MIA. This actually lines up pretty well with Luke's journey - joining the Rebellion and then loving off to go do Jedi stuff halfway through. In American Graffiti, the character that does this is Terry "The Toad" Fields - and although he's not as much of a geek, Luke "Wormie" Skywalker seems to occupy a similar place in the social hierarchy of his friends (if the movie's deleted scenes are to be believed.

My favorite part of American graffiti is the end with the DJ at the radio station. In a real sense the "freedom" of their youth was another machine illusion that keeps them trapped, like the tv holograms and headphones in THX land. But did the girl hear the song? Did the machine make a real connection? Could the carr hell of Modesto keep life from flourishing anyway? These are the questions

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This just popped up in my YT feed. What a project to make happen, what a cause to support, how necessary a thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcYn-_gK_98

I first saw Star Wars in a drive-in, so this might hit extra hard, but wow.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1724104536761999532

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Why didn't Lucas have hilts for sabers way back when anyway? It seems like something that'd fit the aesthetic he was going for, back before anyone had any preconceived notions of what lightsabers should look like.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Probably because he was going for more of a katana aesthetic?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Lucas has mentioned coming up with the lightsaber because he liked the idea of a sword "you could turn on and off light a flashlight". He may have described the weapon the same way to Ralph McQuarrie, since a lot of the early concept art (and even the early prototype props) look very flashlight-like (though some illustrations do have guards similar to fencing swords).

He also specifically told the set decorators and prop makers that he didn't want anything to stand out - every item had to seem totally normal and not like it was designed just for the movie (which would mean the lightsabers couldn't be particularly ornate). He kept rejecting those early props, and ultimately set decorator Roger Christian just kind of stumbled across the right item to use at a camera shop:

Roger Christian posted:

I made Luke’s binoculars. I had found three different cameras, which I stripped and took the parts of. I knew I had to stick two lenses on to make it look like binoculars, so I went to the camera shop that we always bought all our equipment from, in central London. I bought the lenses and then, the owner was just there. I said, “Do you have anything I could look at that might be odd or strange or different, that might be to do with cameras or flashes?” And he said, “Well, look, there’s a whole load of boxes under that shelf there. I haven’t looked in them for years, I don't know what's in there.” It was literally the first box I pulled out and pushed the dust off the top of it and opened it. And in the tissue paper there was this Graflex., I just took it out and knew that I had found the holy grail.

It looked so beautiful. It had the red firing button, it had another button, and it was weighty and exactly the right size. So I got in my car and ran back to the studios. I thought, I've got to have a handle. So I stuck the t-strip that I'd used for the handle of the stormtroopers' weapon. I stuck that around the handle. I had broken-down calculators, and I loved the little bubble strip which illuminated the numbers underneath, and magnified them so you could read it on the screen. That fit perfectly into the clip. And I called George over and he just held it and smiled. That’s the biggest approval from George that you can get.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Another way Disney misstepped since lightsabers not really looking like anything until the beam suddenly comes out is part of the appeal, so building your own and making it look super ornate runs contrary to the inherently good design imho

Granted I know the PT kind of opens the door for this with Dooku's lavish curved handle lightsaber but you're supposed to hate that guy and his nobility schtick

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Also I'm watching ESB now (impossible to only watch ANH, really) and while this is essentially a perfect film the only PT nonsense that gets in the way a bit is when Yoda and R2D2 are just going HAM at each other when they first meet because they've definitely met before right

Admittedly Yoda is probably as robot racist as the rest of the galaxy and doesn't know or care about the differences between droids but surely R2 is thinking "wow yoda is acting like a stupid dick right now what the hell"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Wolfsheim posted:

Also I'm watching ESB now (impossible to only watch ANH, really) and while this is essentially a perfect film the only PT nonsense that gets in the way a bit is when Yoda and R2D2 are just going HAM at each other when they first meet because they've definitely met before right

Admittedly Yoda is probably as robot racist as the rest of the galaxy and doesn't know or care about the differences between droids but surely R2 is thinking "wow yoda is acting like a stupid dick right now what the hell"

Or maybe Yoda winked at R2 off screen.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Wolfsheim posted:

I personally kind of wish Lucas hadn't gone for the "R2-D2 and C3PO were involved in literally everything" angle. Have them play a small part when Anakin is a kid or something and leave it at that, invent some other comic relief droid for the rest and have that new one(s) get tragically destroyed at the end of the PT.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Glottis posted:

I personally kind of wish Lucas hadn't gone for the "R2-D2 and C3PO were involved in literally everything" angle. Have them play a small part when Anakin is a kid or something and leave it at that, invent some other comic relief droid for the rest and have that new one(s) get tragically destroyed at the end of the PT.

In Lucas' mind (though never hinted at onscreen), the droids actually are the ones telling the story, so kind of have to be involved in the whole thing. The entire saga is supposedly a part of some sort of comprehensive galactic record called the "Journal of the Whills", and the "Star Wars" chapters were told to the Whills by R2 & 3PO 100 years after the fact.

So despite sharing a visual style with the old Flash Gordon serials, the opening crawls are actually more similar to the storybook openings of old Disney movies, in that they supposedly "exist" on some plane outside the stories themselves.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No matter how hard Disney tries, they can never recreate the hype from that original Phantom Menace trailer when Maul unveiled the second saber blade.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Wolfsheim posted:

R2 had it coming

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yoda and Artoo did have their shared adventure during S6 of TCW

Probably got together offscreen a few times and got to a comfortable snarky rapport with each other too

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

To be fair, R2 knew Yoda longer than Luke. He wasn't going to ruin Yoda's bit.

Also, I like that R2 is a linchpin in the story. It's fun to imagine what is going through his mind as everything unfolds. He also knows C-3PO is the memory-wiped moron child of Anakin, so it makes sense he feels obligated to babysit him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Detective No. 27 posted:

No matter how hard Disney tries, they can never recreate the hype from that original Phantom Menace trailer when Maul unveiled the second saber blade.

While that bit melted my face off when the trailer dropped, can you imagine if they HAND’T shown it in the trailer and kept it as a surprise for the film?