Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jack Black has proven himself to Miyamoto. Have him play Tingle, guaranteed billion dollar box office.

Especially have him as live action Tingle, even if the rest of the movie is animated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Martman posted:

Especially have him as live action Tingle, even if the rest of the movie is animated

I would honestly pay to see that, balloons and all

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
make a Contra movie cowards

do it Barbie style and it has a 30 minute rant about how much Reagan sucked rear end

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Alan Smithee posted:

make a Contra movie cowards

do it Barbie style and it has a 30 minute rant about how much Reagan sucked rear end

Broke: Contra movie
Woke: Metal Slug movie

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cacator posted:

I for one have never seen more breathtaking space baboons.

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1722007845971832946?s=20

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://x.com/DEADLINE/status/1722415071819882753?s=20

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

It’ll be Josh hutcherson

I'm in

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Zelda movie better have at least one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb-Op7ZgDRo

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Also I’m rewatching Ad Astra and I forgot how beautiful it was. Not a great movie, but really gorgeous

The director originally wanted to use model photography for all the VFX, but studio nixed because it would have been too expensive. Then First Man goes on to do the same thing and wins an Oscar.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
All I ask of a Zelda movie is it isn't 2 and a half loving hours
What is your deal Hollywood? Why are all my blockbusters Heaven's Gate length now? Aren't these all investments? Isn't cheaper to just do a tight well paced 90 minute movie???

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded that Josstice League was exactly 90 minutes.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Punkin Spunkin posted:

What is your deal Hollywood? Why are all my blockbusters Heaven's Gate length now? Aren't these all investments? Isn't cheaper to just do a tight well paced 90 minute movie???

lol it's gonna be directed by Ridley Scott and be 4 and a half.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Is that supposed to be Coney Island and the Wonder Wheel? Thematically it should be, probably, but it’s not even convincing as a random second-rate Canadian or SoCal pier attraction.

This just loving annoys me, Blues Brothers and Ghostbusters went from good to great only because they had a sense of place that was unmatched; when I wanted to show my kids the Maxwell Street Market or Manhattan when actual humans lived there those movies were invaluable.

Yeah speaking of Coney The Warriors followed shortly thereafter.

The Paul Feig Ghostbusters is still in track to be the best in this century, which would be sad except that Helmsworth is a joy in the movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Remulak posted:

Is that supposed to be Coney Island and the Wonder Wheel? Thematically it should be, probably, but it’s not even convincing as a random second-rate Canadian or SoCal pier attraction.

They shot the whole thing in London, outside of some second-unit stuff that was done in New York City. The video Mckenna Grace posted of her in the firehouse showed that the outside of the set was surrounded by green screens, so there's a chance this feels even less like New York City than GB 2016 did (Boston for NYC, lol).

This does mark the first time that the firehouse exterior and interior are actually the same building, though.

Timby fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 9, 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded that Josstice League was exactly 90 minutes.

It was 120.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It... is not. Your average two-hour movie is originally shot as an assembly cut that 3-5 hours long and then it becomes the directors' and editors' jobs to cut it down to as short as a runtime as possible from that while still keeping a coherent plot. I've seen way more movies ruined by cutting the movie too short than ones ruined by keeping them too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzH4CDmZ3h8

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm seeing the sausage get made and I don't like it. Bring back brevity!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Zelda honestly is a property that would be hard to screw up, it'll be derived from the most generic parts of the series and not any of the interesting bits like endlessly repeating the last three days before the end of the world or a world that's been totally covered in water. Some fantasy fighting poo poo, Link gets the Master Sword, there's a last-minute time travel twist, save Zelda, credits. So I can't wait to see how they screw it up.

I think that the trap is that Zelda seems easy to adapt because it's all standard fantasy tropes. But what actually makes it work is the vibe, that weird mix between fairy tale, high fantasy and comedy.

The closest comparison for me would be Studio Ghibli, but that's not strange because Nintendo cribbed massively from those films. And that's a problem all on its own, because can you really make a Tears of the Kingdom film that's better thanCastle in the Sky? Or a Breath of the Wild that's better thanPrincess Mononoke?

You've got to get someone that both has a great love for the games, in order to understand them, but also enough guts and creativity to adept it into something completely new. And I don't think this production has anyone like that on board.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Zelda movie I feel like you could do really well just by actually understanding the vibe. I suppose there's a few ways you could do it, depending a lot on what tone they want and who they cast. I think it'd help if they go more on vibes and themes than dialogue, especially with a Link that barely talks and is clearly in way over his head and swinging his sword hoping for the best.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Who's playing link

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This just made me laugh.

https://twitter.com/ArmasUpdates/status/1721898184715456683

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Vicious.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Zelda movie should follow Link on a lengthy fetch-quest that ends with him obtaining the Biggoron Sword.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Who's playing link

Across the different timelines: Tom Cruise, Timothy Chalamet and Tilda Swinton.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Zelda movie should follow Link on a lengthy fetch-quest that ends with him obtaining the Biggoron Sword.

The sequel has him revisiting all the quest's locations and notable characters and hitting them repeatedly with the Biggoron Sword.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
We have a zelda movie already, Tom cruise is in it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

I guess Eyes Wide Shut does have a dungeon quest

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

MacheteZombie posted:

Disqualified on grounds of containing too much cinema and not enough merchandising opportunities and references to other merchandising opportunities.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Surely that's an old post.
*checks date*
Oh no.

Who knew Cabela's Dangerous Hunts was onto something.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Most great filmmakers work through their passions and personal issues in their movies.

Ridley Scott really needs a gladiator to gently caress up some baboons to help him sleep again.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Getting my "the script is a mess, there's no way that one guy is taking out a horde of baboons by himself" tactical realism argument in early for this one.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gladiator 2, directed by Ridley Scott and Joe Rogan, apparently

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

dr_rat posted:

lol it's gonna be directed by Ridley Scott and be 4 and a half.

So........it'll basically be "Legend" all over again? Cause I'd be down for a reskin of "Legend" if they kept the same badass makeup effects and Tangerine Dream score, or a NEW Tangerine Dream score!!! Watch him get confused and he makes a "Hydelide" instead, "VIRTUAL Hydelide".

Jiro fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 9, 2023

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I remember some podcast raising a very interesting question: "Can you think of ANY directors whose last movie was also their best?" Ridley Scott is clearly not striving to join that club.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

AceOfFlames posted:

I remember some podcast raising a very interesting question: "Can you think of ANY directors whose last movie was also their best?" Ridley Scott is clearly not striving to join that club.

His first three films are the Duellists, Alien and Blade runner. If he managed to make a film better than those at his age, it would be a miracle.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

George Miller had a chance to do it but I guess the reason it never happens is because when you make something along the lines of a Fury Road then getting the next project greenlit is all the sudden so easy that it's hard to pass up. Like, I seriously doubt he's getting $60 mil to make Three Thousand Years of Longing if not for the success of Fury Road.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

AceOfFlames posted:

Satoshi Kon :smith:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

George Miller had a chance to do it but I guess the reason it never happens is because when you make something along the lines of a Fury Road then getting the next project greenlit is all the sudden so easy that it's hard to pass up. Like, I seriously doubt he's getting $60 mil to make Three Thousand Years of Longing if not for the success of Fury Road.

George Miller still has a chance to do it, Furiosa is currently in post production.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
I’m demanding baboon battles in every script I produce. They’re the fiercest killers in the animal kingdom.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

:smith:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
It may be because it's Miyazaki's only film I saw in the cinema, but The Boy and the Heron is up there with Mononoke and Spirited Away.

For me, Tarantino is another director who keeps topping himself. Nicholas Refn, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Charles Laughton.