Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hesitant to post this but I'm not doing great bird thread, could use some good vibes or prayers or whatever you can send me. Need to keep my head up but it's hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

praying for you friend

you can PM me if you need to vent

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

sharknado slashfic posted:

Hesitant to post this but I'm not doing great bird thread, could use some good vibes or prayers or whatever you can send me. Need to keep my head up but it's hard.

:glomp:

Sorry bird buddy. Life be like that sometimes, just remember its just temporary no matter what you are going through

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
more people will pray for you than will post about having done so. I almost didn't post this because I believe heavily in silent humble prayer but I don't have pms, and you might benefit by knowing of it. I think just by virtue of needing prayers your pleas are heard by the judge of the dead and in their way will be answered. What you are not blessed with now will be your blessing later, gather your grace and what you are blessed with now, and I hope you feel better soon

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Knowing nothing about your specifics, I have drawn some comfort from the following short talk, which deals with the interrelatedness between suffering and happiness. Without mud, no lotus can grow.

(it takes a bit of set up because its introducing what non duality--what Thuy calls "interbeing"--which is a bit of a difficult concept to grasp for us Westerners but he does an excellent job here I think)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=schlgVvKoDk

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Thanks everyone, I'm just having bad night and as the sage Adam Duritz says "the price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings." I appreciate all of you :unsmith:

I'm a Buddhist but a bad one when I fall off the wagon.

Anyone ever had a dream that is so powerful that you're crying in your dream and wake up in tears?

sharknado slashfic has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Nov 9, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Anyone ever had a dream that is so powerful that you're crying in your dream and wake up in tears?

oh hell yeah

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

NDT brains and pharmaceutical greed are perpetuating a crime against humanity

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2023/11/non-hallucinogenic-psychedelic-clinical-therapy/675942/

This makes me very mad

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

D-Pad posted:

NDT brains and pharmaceutical greed are perpetuating a crime against humanity

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2023/11/non-hallucinogenic-psychedelic-clinical-therapy/675942/

This makes me very mad

Fun fact the Editor in Chief of The Atlantic moved to Israel to join the IDF and be a prison guard at Ktzi'ot Prison. That rag is the worst kind of awful and employs the worst humans on the planet.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

about once every couple years I get one of these Little Nemo in Slumberland dreams that are incredibly, vividly real and I wake up and go "Well, gently caress, now what?"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

yes.

Also i was fighting someone evil like maybe the actual devil and we got to the point where we were literally rolling on the ground manually strangulating each other and welp I strangulated myself awake with my own hands clamped down on my own neck as far as they could physically go.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Yes~ I had a dream where I got to tussle on the grass of a park with my dog again, and after getting my face licked I woke up with my cheeks wet with tears.

Dreamin' Dogs.... :chord:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sextro posted:

Fun fact the Editor in Chief of The Atlantic moved to Israel to join the IDF and be a prison guard at Ktzi'ot Prison. That rag is the worst kind of awful and employs the worst humans on the planet.

Lol

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You'll be alright bud. 🙏 to you and yours.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

I don't know what you're going through but I'm sending you good vibes and courage. You are not alone.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Thanks everyone, I'm just having bad night and as the sage Adam Duritz says "the price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings." I appreciate all of you :unsmith:

I'm a Buddhist but a bad one when I fall off the wagon.

Constantly

My girlfriend wakes me up sometimes, because while they're not really regular occurence, i have emotionally perilous dreams where anger, sadness, despair, etc. Can manifest irl as crying and screaming. A fun one is i was literally screaming "KILL YOURSELF" to our mutual ex, over and over in a dream a few weeks ago. You'll have to take my word for it that it's deserved and also not something id actually try to say to them, but yeah no imagine waking up at 4 am because your spouse is flipping her poo poo on an ex in a hotel room one dream over and two feet to your left lol

Dreams are an emotionally perilous place sometimes it's normal and okay to happen sometimes and regular occurences might indicate trauma or ongoing issues but it's a thing thats ok to have happen

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
one time i got really scared in a dream and wanted to wake up (maybe was falling? don't remember), but i couldn't will myself to do it.

but somehow, with great effort, i was able to reach up to my face and pry my eyelids open with my fingers, waking me.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Reaching the "wanting to wake up" point in a dream is a great starting point to realize it's a dream and achieve lucid dreaming.

When it happens do something like checking what time it is and usually it's all garbled and helps you realize it's a dream.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

I’ve had multiple dreams where I am overcome with an immense and overwhelming sadness, almost without direction or cause, just a deep mourning, and I will wake up crying. Sometimes in dreams I also see landscapes and vistas so beautiful or hear music so wondrous I also cry in awe, the clear details of which, however, rapidly recede. It can be very affecting.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Riot Bimbo posted:

Mother! Is so loving good

If you can dissect that fairly loving unsubtle allegory it's a very good distillation of sethian gnostic cosmology

The truman show also does this very well, and so much the better because Mother!, while an amazing work of art, is an anxiety attack in movie form

My thoughts exactly. I love that movie, but as someone who is very house-proud Mother! is like being tortured for two hours.

My heart rate still goes up when I think about those people who wouldn't stop sitting on the kitchen bench.

Kathleen has issued a correction as of 12:24 on Nov 9, 2023

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hope things get better for you soon, take care.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

more people will pray for you than will post about having done so. I almost didn't post this because I believe heavily in silent humble prayer but I don't have pms, and you might benefit by knowing of it. I think just by virtue of needing prayers your pleas are heard by the judge of the dead and in their way will be answered. What you are not blessed with now will be your blessing later, gather your grace and what you are blessed with now, and I hope you feel better soon

This is a resonant post. I hope drawing attention to it isn't sort of the opposite of what you had hoped would happen but... I really appreciated reading it, and really wanted to tell you that. Thank you.

Shark, you've rapidly become one of my favorite people to see posting on this forum. You are deeply loved and cared for by your community, I hope the outpouring of support on this page makes that obvious. :glomp: Do something kind for yourself today, please. We will all be thinking of you. Without mud, no lotus, as Bilirubin said. I often think of friction similarly. It is sometimes an obstacle, an opposing force; but it is itself not an inherent enemy. It is friction that inspires and develops motion, change, acceleration. I never thought I would be the kind of person able to look at personal difficulty and conflict and understand their value as tools for growth, and yet that has come to be the case. I wish that you, and the rest of us, did not need to experience the sad, difficult, painful times that we do. But we do, and so I ask you to hold to the knowledge that the way you perceive the growth, the movement, that you will develop from these trials will eventually shift. The overwhelming difficulty you grapple with now will fade. The lessons you will have earned from it, the personal change, development, and understanding that will result... those will stay with you. You will be grateful for them. They will help you. We, your friends, will support and help and love you while you get there. :love: And you will get there. We promise.

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022

SKULL.GIF posted:

very interesting to see who was behind this bill -- same guy here:

burlison was also openly laughing and skeptical in the July hearing

total 180

Eric Burlison did an interview with Event Horizon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVd1WsNqIPw

Sounds like he doesn't think these are aliens but technology from someone on earth.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Human.Frank posted:

Eric Burlison did an interview with Event Horizon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVd1WsNqIPw

Sounds like he doesn't think these are aliens but technology from someone on earth.

must be something those evil Cultural Marxists have dreamed up eh

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
since we're talking about dreams here, anyone ever have mundane recurring dreams about a place they've never been? I've had a dream for years about a restaurant that serves some really great sandwiches in some kind of rural area. it's got a gravel parking lot, is a two tone shack with the bottom being a barn red color. it has a kind of unique porch area for eating. thanks to a random Google search I strongly suspect the place in my dreams is a place called Roots Bar in New Zealand (its at the top of the south island).

I've only left the US to go to Canada once. I'm thinking it's time to get my passport and check it out. in a weird synchronicity, I told a friend about this and he said "oh, you'll love new zealand. I've been there a few times. they're bird people, and you'll appreciate that." I don't talk to him about the bird thread, but he meant he thinks people there have bird personalities (whatever that means).

I don't have any strong beliefs or superstitions about my dreams in this case, I'm just curious if there's any similar experiences and also to reinforce my own thinking that if you accidentally discover the place you've been dreaming about, you kind of have to go, right?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Bilirubin posted:

Knowing nothing about your specifics, I have drawn some comfort from the following short talk, which deals with the interrelatedness between suffering and happiness. Without mud, no lotus can grow.

(it takes a bit of set up because its introducing what non duality--what Thuy calls "interbeing"--which is a bit of a difficult concept to grasp for us Westerners but he does an excellent job here I think)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=schlgVvKoDk

good thich'in

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

no mud, no lotus.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Winkle-Daddy posted:

since we're talking about dreams here, anyone ever have mundane recurring dreams about a place they've never been? I've had a dream for years about a restaurant that serves some really great sandwiches in some kind of rural area. it's got a gravel parking lot, is a two tone shack with the bottom being a barn red color. it has a kind of unique porch area for eating. thanks to a random Google search I strongly suspect the place in my dreams is a place called Roots Bar in New Zealand (its at the top of the south island).

I've only left the US to go to Canada once. I'm thinking it's time to get my passport and check it out. in a weird synchronicity, I told a friend about this and he said "oh, you'll love new zealand. I've been there a few times. they're bird people, and you'll appreciate that." I don't talk to him about the bird thread, but he meant he thinks people there have bird personalities (whatever that means).

I don't have any strong beliefs or superstitions about my dreams in this case, I'm just curious if there's any similar experiences and also to reinforce my own thinking that if you accidentally discover the place you've been dreaming about, you kind of have to go, right?

To the first half of your question, I, personally, have not had a similar experience that I can recall... but to the second, um, yes you have to go! Great sandwiches? "Bird people"? And it's called Roots??? I would absolutely make the pilgrimage if I were you :) and in particular, you being you, and given your previous experience with having had a sort of vision in the past... it is calling to you.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Winkle-Daddy posted:

This is really, really cool! I can't recall ever dreaming the same place twice. Similarly though, I've had a couple of deja vu dreams over the years. Sounds like that place is calling!

It's weird, the only near constant of the dreams I can remember over my lifetime besides the two deja vu dreams and always exclusively, never together, are being killed (thankfully these stopped a few years back) and being in buildings with impossibly huge architecture and rooms within rooms, exploring.

I'm a newbie to the thread but I'm sorry you're going through this and I hope things look better soon

TheWorldsaStage has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Nov 9, 2023

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

To the first half of your question, I, personally, have not had a similar experience that I can recall... but to the second, um, yes you have to go! Great sandwiches? "Bird people"? And it's called Roots??? I would absolutely make the pilgrimage if I were you :) and in particular, you being you, and given your previous experience with having had a sort of vision in the past... it is calling to you.

for sure! I mean, at the very least I'll have the greatest answer ever to "aye, what brings you in today, mate?" (I don't know if they talk like Australians in New Zealand)

TheWorldsaStage posted:

This is really, really cool! I can't recall ever dreaming the same place twice. Similarly though, I've had a couple of deja vu dreams over the years. Sounds like that place is calling!

It's weird, the only near constant of the dreams I can remember over my lifetime besides the two deja vu dreams and always exclusively, never together, are being killed (thankfully these stopped a few years back) and being in buildings with impossibly huge architecture and rooms within rooms, exploring.

what's a dejavu dream? in my waking life I have a lot of dejavu that I attribute to not having a lot of childhood memories from moving around so much. but I'm not sure what that would feel like in a dream, like just the same strong sense of familiarity but while dreaming?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

there are a lot of places that have achieved specific-place-ness in my dreams that were not just made from whole cloth, but spun from raw fibers. they dont always look exactly the same or have the same layout, but my sense of space in dreams is usually v mutable and loosely-sketched in the first. certain rooms, architectural styles, things like “is this space cluttered?? what sort of clutter is around???”, and design/theme motives all stay consistent; but incidental elements move all around. there is a beautiful, old house w an overgrown yard and a variable number of hidden rooms (almost always in one connected “wing”, not a thing where my mind-rogue needs to roll to find secret doors in each room)—great natural light in most of it but got some good deep shadows. it started showing up in my dreams maybe 20-25 years ago and sometimes just, there i am again!!! there are lots of such places in my dreams but that house sticks out the most. spent a great deal of time in the esoteric wing, watching vines and talking w close friends who also only existed in the dream

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Winkle-Daddy posted:

for sure! I mean, at the very least I'll have the greatest answer ever to "aye, what brings you in today, mate?" (I don't know if they talk like Australians in New Zealand)

what's a dejavu dream? in my waking life I have a lot of dejavu that I attribute to not having a lot of childhood memories from moving around so much. but I'm not sure what that would feel like in a dream, like just the same strong sense of familiarity but while dreaming?

Ahh sorry, that's what I call them. I mean I've dreamt a couple of times about events and with people and places I would never usually be at or around, and later after having the dream the thing happened, triggering that deja vu feeling

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Just spent a little bit of time concentrating on sending you some energy, friend.

If you're anything like me, when you're in the middle of something it can be really easy to forget that one way or another it'll end eventually - that you'll be stuck feeling this way forever. But you won't. Suerte and much love until you're out of it, though

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
does anyone else get the thing where you start drifting off to sleep, your thoughts start becoming gibberish, you're vaguley aware of it and suddenly you get kinda vivid flashbacks to the previous nights dream?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zoobtro posted:

does anyone else get the thing where you start drifting off to sleep, your thoughts start becoming gibberish, you're vaguley aware of it and suddenly you get kinda vivid flashbacks to the previous nights dream?

I get extremely vivid and familiar looking / feeling visions of different places I am not sure I’ve ever physically been to. There seems to be around 5ish places my brain always takes me during those moments and they always feel extremely nostalgic. I spend a lot of time thinking about those places and what they could be, but I realize it’s probably just my weird brain being a weird brain.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

LuckyCat posted:

I get extremely vivid and familiar looking / feeling visions of different places I am not sure I’ve ever physically been to. There seems to be around 5ish places my brain always takes me during those moments and they always feel extremely nostalgic. I spend a lot of time thinking about those places and what they could be, but I realize it’s probably just my weird brain being a weird brain.

my weird brain sometimes takes me to a waterpark and the waterpark is loving weird. i can sort of recognise it as a weird amalgamation of the maybe 3 different waterparks i ever went to as a young kid but it's very abstract. i love dreaming so much.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I have a waterpark dream location too. There's no slides it's just a large shallow pool with those like mushrooms that drip water from the top. The water is a pale blue and the air is smothered by fog.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

we probably just need to pee

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpCxDqvT7lg
expedition lfg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i have semi-recurring dreams of going to the same weird building that's basically a dark souls castle. don't have to fight anything, though, just wandering around but there's always the same drawbridge and main gate.
then i have others where it seems like the events of the dream are exactly the same as i've had previously.
dreams are neat except when I'm having night terrors. had one the other night where i walked into a closet and then the wall started bulging out into a point like someone was pushing a plane of latex out of the wall and it pinned me against the opposite wall and was slowly crushing my esophagus/sternum. woke up my wife screaming with terror and it turns out i was sleeping stupid and was kind of choking myself.
i think there may have been a nightmare on elm street where something similar happens with the wall