Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

sharknado slashfic posted:

Thanks everyone, I'm just having bad night and as the sage Adam Duritz says "the price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings." I appreciate all of you :unsmith:

I'm a Buddhist but a bad one when I fall off the wagon.

Anyone ever had a dream that is so powerful that you're crying in your dream and wake up in tears?

Deep, deep sense of loss and a longing that can even be described?

This quote has stuck with me more than any other work of fiction I've read, it just feels like life in general. It hurts, but we still hold on:

quote:

“She took the story in like some strange, spiked gift, too fragile to drop, too painful to hold.”
― Lois McMaster Bujold, Shards of Honour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’ve also had dreams where I’m exploring haunted places, and as I encounter the haunting I get filled with a feeling of intense dread that is so extreme that it sometimes wakes me up and takes a bit for the feeling to go away. it feels like pure evil.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

LuckyCat posted:

I’ve also had dreams where I’m exploring haunted places, and as I encounter the haunting I get filled with a feeling of intense dread that is so extreme that it sometimes wakes me up and takes a bit for the feeling to go away. it feels like pure evil.

yeah there are lots of bad spirits out there

be careful

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

LuckyCat posted:

Had one of those last night, friend and I were exploring a basement and got attacked by some kind of demonic entities, woke up sweating and couldn't sleep for a few hours, not fun!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

purifying your life can help deal with those evil powers. as well as asking for help from benevolent ones

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

purifying your life can help deal with those evil powers. as well as asking for help from benevolent ones

I'm feeling very sick and weak today and I have no idea why, not covid. Figure I've pissed off something malevolent and it's manifesting illness onto me and imbalancing the humors. No clue what I did though!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

could be many things yeah

balancing energy is a constant task

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Incoming Unidentified Word Salad

I have been trying particularly hard lately to be a “better” person (partially thanks to this thread) mostly in how I spend my time, but I have also been transmitting thoughts to any benevolent being that will hear me, for guidance. I haven’t had any overt success. I’ve been hovering back and forth on whether I should quit weed or not. My logic brain says there’s nothing wrong with recreational smoking, but my broken religion brain is like “what if that’s a sin!!” and my ufo brain says “what if it lowers your vibration!!” and my anxiety says “please don’t quit smoking ohgod.” and then I think about how I used to just believe in science and life was so much simpler lol. Anyone else itt think in similar patterns to me?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Re: dreamchat

When I was a kid I was making recurring dreams of a very clean public lavatory. The place was huge, urinals and sinks and mirrors lining as far as the eye could see, illuminated with bright white lights. There was a nice smell of freshness in the air, with a slight touch of pine and bleach. It was so pristine, so clean, so unspoiled of any human presence and desecration. If heaven had toilets, it would be these.

I felt irresistibly attracted to them. They were inviting me to come and take a piss. It was almost impossible to resist.

Of course it was all a trap. I learned it the hard way.

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Nov 9, 2023

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

LuckyCat posted:

I have been trying particularly hard lately to be a “better” person (partially thanks to this thread) mostly in how I spend my time, but I have also been transmitting thoughts to any benevolent being that will hear me, for guidance. I haven’t had any overt success. I’ve been hovering back and forth on whether I should quit weed or not. My logic brain says there’s nothing wrong with recreational smoking, but my broken religion brain is like “what if that’s a sin!!” and my ufo brain says “what if it lowers your vibration!!” and my anxiety says “please don’t quit smoking ohgod.” and then I think about how I used to just believe in science and life was so much simpler lol. Anyone else itt think in similar patterns to me?

I believe the question is the same as all addictions: is it impacting your social and professional life? Do you do it with friends or alone? Do you feel ashamed of your consumption?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

recently I had a dream with one of those corner / shadow terrors and I was able to reach out and abjure it to nothingness

it doesn’t always work but that was nice

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

LuckyCat posted:

hahaha I've had these exact thoughts about the exact same subject today

I don't know what to tell ya but at least you're not alone

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

weirdest dream thing was one where i was at my childhood home as a kid again with my parents and older brother but also an extra dream sister

when i woke up it was accompanied by a panicked feeling of "where are they?!" combined with lingering sadness and odd nostalgia

i asked my mom and it's always been just me and my bro (no other pregnancies) but then she mentioned she always wanted to have a daughter too

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just had Hermes show up in two different dreams and challenge me to do some stuff I'm not gonna get into. It's mundane but it's not prudent to discuss here, but since were on dream chat whatever

I dream of places i haven't been to yet.

My prior living arrangement here in Washington (an old house that's pretty witch/cottagecore and the oldest parts of it are barely younger than white settlement in this area), and a couple of prior jobs up here dominated my dreamscapes when i still lived in texas.

Last night i also spent some time yelling at people loving around with this thread like i saw their posts and decided to haunt them about it, leaving my body and terrorizing them.

But in like a silly (still scary) way I had no interest in doing harm just causing traumatic ontology shock

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Powerfully strange vibes in the world lately. Either that or I'm short on vitamin D

But all the same, I want to believe some great change is on the horizon

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Woo gang print this post and sign the pledge to haunt trolls in your dreams

Sign: ______

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This isn't some sort of spiritual awakening or anything, but I dreamt last night my cat Beau was in an elevator with me, and I said to him "Push the 1 button!" and he did, and then I was happy he was so smart.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I've been having recurring dreams for years of wandering through my house (which is old and kinda lovely and I generally feel trapped by, in a lot of ways) and discovering old attics or hallways that branch in odd ways and seemingly go on forever. No lights, always dark, just a twisting and turning labyrinth House of Leaves style. Sometimes I would come across better places--verandas, open-air rooms-- that would then persist dream to dream.

Last week, I had a dream that started out as these dreams typically do: I came across a new room I had never seen before, and steeled myself to start exploring. This time, though, one of my neighbors, an elderly stooped lady, was there, standing in front of a pair of sliding barn doors. But she wasn't old and stooped, as in real life, she had become young and beautiful. She slid the barn doors aside, and instead of revealing endless dark rooms and hallways, it opened up onto an empty city street and a beautiful clear blue sky. It was wonderful, and I have no idea what it means.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dreams aren’t from your rational mind. They aren’t going to “make sense” to it.

Imho

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?
They look like monsters to you?

I apparently enjoy going to shows in my dreams, and have visited two recurring goth/industrial clubs in whatever version of bizarro Los Angeles that exists in my head. Sometimes I take the Metrolink to get there, sometimes I drive, but the locations tend to be consistent from dream to dream, enough that when I'm having the dream I know where I am.

Venue 1 is a two-story building located on the west side of a north-south street in downtown, venue 2 is a freestanding single-story building located underneath a major freeway overpass, entrance on the south side. These places are unlike the clubs I used to attend back in the day.

Now there's venue 3, which is more or less an all-ages type of place, hosting all types of shows. There's a lot of hardwood, the place looks single-story from the outside but the stage is downstairs once you enter the building (from the north side), with the entrance looking down over the stage over open railings, so people upstairs can watch the show, too. This place is often found behind other places, accessed via an alleyway or service road, with a small parking lot. The place looks totally beat-up as in it's seen a lot of people there, but it's popular in spite of being run-down.

I watched Tiny Tim perform a set at venue 3, knowing that he was dead, but dream logic didn't allow me to explore that thought fully.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Powerfully strange vibes in the world lately. Either that or I'm short on vitamin D

But all the same, I want to believe some great change is on the horizon

I feel like I've been walking a tightrope for the last 4 weeks. Lots of energy and everything and everyone on the edge. Probably linked to all the dead we've been unpacking. Feels like a lot of karma being balanced or something like that. A few years ago if I saw a post saying this I would be laughing and ignoring it, but now, with this thread and everything I've been through, yes I believe there's a lot of energy moving around. I can physically feel it in different parts of my body.

Focusing on breathing helped me a lot.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I've been having recurring dreams for years of wandering through my house and discovering old attics or hallways that branch in odd ways and seemingly go on forever. No lights, always dark, just a twisting and turning labyrinth House of Leaves style. Sometimes I would come across better places--verandas, open-air rooms-- that would then persist dream to dream.

:same:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Lackey posted:

I apparently enjoy going to shows in my dreams, and have visited two recurring goth/industrial clubs in whatever version of bizarro Los Angeles that exists in my head. Sometimes I take the Metrolink to get there, sometimes I drive, but the locations tend to be consistent from dream to dream, enough that when I'm having the dream I know where I am.

Venue 1 is a two-story building located on the west side of a north-south street in downtown, venue 2 is a freestanding single-story building located underneath a major freeway overpass, entrance on the south side. These places are unlike the clubs I used to attend back in the day.

Now there's venue 3, which is more or less an all-ages type of place, hosting all types of shows. There's a lot of hardwood, the place looks single-story from the outside but the stage is downstairs once you enter the building (from the north side), with the entrance looking down over the stage over open railings, so people upstairs can watch the show, too. This place is often found behind other places, accessed via an alleyway or service road, with a small parking lot. The place looks totally beat-up as in it's seen a lot of people there, but it's popular in spite of being run-down.

I watched Tiny Tim perform a set at venue 3, knowing that he was dead, but dream logic didn't allow me to explore that thought fully.

Goth/industrial club in LA? That was Das Bunker back in the day
Horrible experience going there for me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

David lynch gets that particular dream and it’s featured heavily in inland empire

edit

for reference

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I've been having recurring dreams for years of wandering through my house (which is old and kinda lovely and I generally feel trapped by, in a lot of ways) and discovering old attics or hallways that branch in odd ways and seemingly go on forever. No lights, always dark, just a twisting and turning labyrinth House of Leaves style. Sometimes I would come across better places--verandas, open-air rooms-- that would then persist dream to dream.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

LuckyCat posted:

Obviously first you check the grounded real stuff like "is it affecting anything in your life negatively? Are you conscious enough to recognize if it is having that negative effect?". Moving past that benchmark you can ask "Is it enabling avoiding dealing with larger issues?" and beyond that, well... Sin is definitely not real so it is pure choose-your-own-adventure.

That said, I'm iffy on the cartel style operations that have been set up in a number of medical states and have vibes based concerns around their weed as a result.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

LuckyCat posted:

when are you asking for help ?

also if giving up weed is hard now, give up something else and come back to weed later

you don’t need to be Ghandi by Christmas

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

imo cannabis is fine in moderation, but it's actually destabilizing as a crutch.

I've been off it for a few weeks now, after more or less leaning on it to endure life at the bottom of capitalis,. the first four days were kind of loving hellish for anxiety and other superficial issues, but I'm dreaming again and I feel substantially more grounded. My dreams are important to me and the lack of meaningful dreaming has been distressing as hell, and i'm relieved it was just the pot use.

I'm kind of reconceptualizing cannabis' role in my life. It's extremely helpful as a spiritual study aid, but I am thinking about confining it to a once-monthly high-dose experience, so i have no tolerance and i can just get weird with it safely/cheaply. Regular use takes away the magic of it anyway.

But imo your logic brain is kinda wrong, chronic smoking is fine if it's helping you survive, and for many people it is, but there are trade offs and the idea that it can do no harm is as regrettable as it is pervaisive. Try some time away from pot. If you hate it, it's not like your dealer or the local shop will suddenly stop taking your money after a break lol

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I just assumed everyone has an impossible geometry dream version of their childhood home

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

David lynch gets that particular dream and it’s featured heavily in inland empire

edit

for reference

when i was a child i had recurring dreams of wandering through a neverending succession of other people's homes, like little chunks of them like you'd see in a furniture showcase from Sears (god i'm old). looking for and never finding a way back to my own house. hasn't happened in a while.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my god I loved the old department store furniture rooms displays

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

euphronius posted:

Dreams aren’t from your rational mind. They aren’t going to “make sense” to it.

Imho

The unconscious communicates the only way it can, symbolically. It doesn't necessarily make sense on a linear/rational level, but I hope you're not implying we should throw up our hands and say "well it's dreams/the unconscious so we can't make sense of it". I think you'd be missing out on a lot of personal insight, potentially

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?
They look like monsters to you?

euphronius posted:

my god I loved the old department store furniture rooms displays

There was something magical about walking into the fully set-up rooms, like entering different worlds.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

LuckyCat posted:

I pulled out the bird cards for you, I hope that's okay :) I asked them, Bird cards, what is LuckyCat's relationship like with weed right now*? Does it need to change?

*bird cards definitely know what "weed" is, don't worry

First draw -- restating the question to establish context. What is your relationship like with weed? Well, a little complicated. It relaxes you, you enjoy its use. It does provide you real benefit and comfort, but you fear that focusing on it draws you further from other outlets you would enjoy more without it.

Second draw -- does that relationship need to change? The first half of this draw suggests you don't need to give up weed entirely to experience your journeys ahead. You might consider tapering a bit, if you are finding difficulty concentrating or staying motivated in your day to day -- it does makes you struggle a little when it interacts with those departments. But it is not currently a significantly damaging presence in your life.

If you would like to try giving it up, though, the back half of the second draw suggests you can find the same anxiolytic effect the weed provides you in other places. With something or someone that brought you comfort in the past? Page of Cups is new emotional growth, and Six of Cups spiritual healing, childhood memories, reconnection with the past. If you would like to stop smoking -- which is entirely your choice -- you will certainly be able to find other ways to manage your anxiety that feel healthy to you.

so basically what everybody else has already said, but with some bird pictures :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

The unconscious communicates the only way it can, symbolically. It doesn't necessarily make sense on a linear/rational level, but I hope you're not implying we should throw up our hands and say "well it's dreams/the unconscious so we can't make sense of it". I think you'd be missing out on a lot of personal insight, potentially

if you are referring to Freudian concepts, I don’t agree with Freud

maybe you have some other sense going on idk

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think demons on the astral plane who invade my dreams are part of my “unconscious mind” in other words. for example

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

euphronius posted:

if you are referring to Freudian concepts, I don’t agree with Freud

maybe you have some other sense going on idk

I'd consider myself a Jungian, if anything. are you saying dreams are nonsense to be ignored because they don't "make sense"?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

no. I was saying don’t try and make “rational” sense of them. they obviously have profound meaning and sense

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I mean you be you but again I think you're leaving a lot on the table if you think your unconscious mind has nothing worth listening to

edit: yeah okay, I got you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

edit

:okpos::hf::okpos:

euphronius has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Nov 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I feel like I've been walking a tightrope for the last 4 weeks. Lots of energy and everything and everyone on the edge. Probably linked to all the dead we've been unpacking. Feels like a lot of karma being balanced or something like that. A few years ago if I saw a post saying this I would be laughing and ignoring it, but now, with this thread and everything I've been through, yes I believe there's a lot of energy moving around. I can physically feel it in different parts of my body.

Focusing on breathing helped me a lot.

Keep breathing, SpaceGoat :glomp: We all love and care about you. :)