Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, that was what I thought.

Similarly, Throne of the Grim Captain? Unlike the other the effect is probably useful enough on its own in some decks to run, but the chance of getting it paid off seems pretty magical christmas land.

i think throne is going to be an insane bomb in limited. there's a lot of creatures of each type, pirates merfolk and vampires are all super cheap, and the landcycling dinosaurs will be fantastic for finishing off the graveyard setup. I think you could see turn four/five grim captains pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ooooh yeah it crafts from the yard doesn't it.

That makes it a lot more likely to work, I was thinking it had to all be on the field.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Venuz Patrol posted:

i think throne is going to be an insane bomb in limited. there's a lot of creatures of each type, pirates merfolk and vampires are all super cheap, and the landcycling dinosaurs will be fantastic for finishing off the graveyard setup. I think you could see turn four/five grim captains pretty easily.

Colour pairs that do not have all 3 of Pirate/Vampire/Merfolk:

BW
BR
RG
RW
RU
UG
WG

Colour pairs that do have all 3 at common

BG (only one pirate in B and it sucks)
BU
UW (only one vampire in W and it's ok)

Dinosaurs are in all 3 colours (though outside of RG it's one each and they're landcyclers)

So no it is definitely not easy, you're going to have to play 3 colours and work like hell to make it happen.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Funny you bring up the throne now, because i just finished preparing a brew for it in standard:

THE CONCEPT

About a week ago i posted about a dumb combo opportunity with Agatha's Soul Cauldron:

Venuz Patrol posted:

Using Agatha's Soul Cauldron, it's possible to graft a cheap transform ability (for example, Concealing Curtains) onto a modal card with a powerful backside (for example, Elesh Norn, and yes pun intended) in order to flip onto praetor sagas or other scary game-enders. this most likely isn't as powerful as the infinite combo in standard (sleep-cursed faerie + kami of whispered hope), but it's been fun to brew around anyway

of particular note is Bloodsworn Squire, a terrible card from Crimson Vow that nobody has ever had any reason to care about until i noticed it's both the cheapest transform effect attached to an activated ability on a creature, and the only transform effect in standard that can be done at instant speed. and the effect also gives indestructible, so it can be used to protect against removal!

The idea was novel, but a consensus quickly formed that it was too awkward to work. Flipping praetors for cheap is fun, but the resulting saga doesn't come with any lore counters, so a full turn passes before any actual payoff. The best creature transformation is Jerren, Corrupted Bishop, but while his flip side is very strong, it dies to almost any removal in the format, and the front side is vulnerable to cut down. As a result, the combo is difficult to set up and then it's difficult to maintain the payoff.

So the idea sucks for standard as it currently exists. But we're getting a bunch of new cards in a few days, and one in particular leapt out at me. It begged a very specific question: what if this convoluted and inefficient combo was even more convoluted?

THE CARD

Throne of the Grim Captain has some immediate benefit to an Agatha's Soul Cauldron deck as it's able to assist with milling creatures into the graveyard, but that's obviously not why I'm here. The Grim Captain is the new juiciest transform payoff in standard by a long shot. It has Menace and Lifelink, which will allow you to immediately stabilize against most board states. It generates persistent advantage through its edict effect on attack. Hexproof will prevent most forms of removal from slowing it down once it gets rolling. The transform effect will allow it to attack on the same turn it flips, unlike its intended crafting process. This is the ideal target for my stupid gimmick combo. Only one problem: as an artifact, it can't be targeted by the Cauldron to receive +1/+1 counters.

THE PLAN

Artifacts don't have to be artifacts. Relic's Roar is the cheapest option, but it only works once. Tough Cookie requires green mana (to play, at least) and is more expensive (until Training Grounds is on the field), but it can be used as many times as needed, and the ability can be picked up by the cauldron if it dies. After animating Throne of the Grim Captain, Agatha's Soul Cauldron can target it with a +1/+1 counter, and it will then be allowed to transform using the activated ability of a cheap transformer such as Captive Weird.

PRELIMINARY TECH

There are two primary concerns for big hexproof creatures: edicts and sweepers. Fortunately, there's a solution to this already baked into the combo. By using Ecstatic Awakener's instant speed transform, The Grim Captain can be flipped back into artifact form. In other words, Sunfall can be avoided by turning into a chair. Alternatively, a sorcery speed transform effect like Captive Weird can be used after combat each turn to guarantee that the captain is always a chair on enemy turns.

Animating Agatha's Soul Cauldron allows it to graft a counter onto itself. Once this is done, it can use Sleep-Cursed Faerie's activated ability to untap itself and continue grafting as much as it wants. If nothing else, this brew has revealed one way that the mono-blue cauldron infinite mana decklist could become even more of a pain in the rear end

THE PROCESS

The earliest a grim captain can be flipped and attack is turn 4, with a perfect hand and significant luck:

turn 1: Training Grounds
turn 2: Throne of the Grim Captain
turn 3: Agatha's Soul Cauldron, 1 free mana to play a small creature or cast a mill spell
turn 4: Animate Throne, activate Cauldron, flip Throne

The luck requirement comes from needing to get a transform effect into the graveyard using the small amount of free mana and 4 milled cards from throne activations on turns 2 and 3. Although there's a few different lines that can set it up (omen hawker instead of training grounds, relic roar in place of tough cookie), the turn 4 flip won't be guaranteed. Most likely even in ideal starting circumstances the captain will come into play on turn 5 or later, at which point my completely unjustified hope is that they'll be able to stabilize and win on their own.

FAQ

Q: Decklist?
A: Still need to decide on effective filler and test. I'll post it after LCI releases

Q: Will this work consistently?
A: Absolutely not

Q: What will you do about artifact hate?
A: Probably cry about it

Q: Why not try to flip the throne honestly with the craft effect?
A: Shut up

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 9, 2023

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Venuz Patrol, I will attempt your mad Johnny deck and see just how weird we can make this happen.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
When evaluating Millennium clock, my closest point of reference is millstone. Do you want a random millstone in a format with zero mill synergy? Probably not. There's a lot of things that have to be true about this format before a clock that does nothing for your board becomes playable, and those things have not been true of a magic set for decades.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Throne of the Grim Captain in some kind of Changeling deck

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Captain my captain - wholly support this endeavor and can't wait to try this out myself too.

Some Ixalan-including decks are starting to show up on mtgdecks in the lowranks. Looking forward to the wild brews of tomorrow.

RU pirates
https://mtgdecks.net/Standard/izzet-pirates-decklist-by-yoman5-1797248

RW artifacts
https://mtgdecks.net/Standard/boros-artifacts-decklist-by-yoman5-1796599

Caves
https://mtgdecks.net/Standard/cave-ramp-decklist-by-yoman5-1796613

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 9, 2023

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Well I decked somebody by casting emrakul and then spinning their celetus and golos for them. So I guess chromatic cube is good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The danitha brawl deck in this event is hilariously terrible. Against one of them they minimus containmented my gruul critters three times and I used said treasures to ramp out even bigger hasters or to just use it to cast combat tricks and lightning bolts. Literally hastening their demise by using that on my creatures

The samut deck is really fun and simple. Every other deck seems kinda pitiful compared to it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Gruul and Rakdos decks are miles ahead of the other MWM decks. The Azorius one is good *if* and only if your opening hand has curious obsession and a 1drop flyer.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Horace Kinch posted:

The Gruul and Rakdos decks are miles ahead of the other MWM decks. The Azorius one is good *if* and only if your opening hand has curious obsession and a 1drop flyer.

Monastery mentor is also pretty good.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I had great success with Selesnya AND got my rear end handed to me by it. One opp conceded when they realized I could turn their commander into a treasure every turn, and that was the only value play they still had. Another exiled like 7 creatures with the flash angel that exiles attackers and I still won because I could get all those Auras from my GY. Third victory, they also conceded when they realized I had like 4 pacifisms in my GY to freely play on all their poo poo.

Conversely, my attempt with Rakdos went nowhere, also Zombies, I tried to set up some combos and they just played their 3 mana commanders with great attacks (Gruul/Selesnya) and ran me over, couldn't handle anything. Gruul I won easily with, that seems to be generally very strong. I also liked Azorius but it seems more dependent on things aligning well.

Overall, it's a singleton format so of course it'll be super luck based. I wouldn't put too much weight into my anecdotal reports, but neither would I call any deck completely useless or whatever.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Edit: wrong thread whoops

space uncle fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 9, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

1v1 with 100 card decks is miserable. The games take three times as long and the games are almost entirely one sided. Have had a single one that was actually a game with back and forth, but that just ended with a Grey Merchant coming down and doing 20 damage to end it.

Things like EDH need more players to help offset when someone starts with an incredible hand, as it's so much harder to draw solutions/draw yourself out of a rut when you fall behind.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Turns out that the Arena-built Brawl decks are built terribly and you can have basically diametrically opposed experiences with the same deck depending on what you draw.

Wild.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i stomped the enchantments deck with zombies because they pacified my commander (doing absolutely nothing to shut off the value engine) while i could actually kill theirs over and over.

all the decks can win but generally lack consistency

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I did fine with the GW deck, but I was also clearly playing people that didn't know what to do with their decks. Granted getting a 9/9 first strike trample lifegain commander out can be tough to deal with.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Good morning Arena thread, you probably know there's an all access no-ban historic going on right now but did you know that Necropotence is in historic?
You can just go t1 dark ritual -> necropotence.
It is very hard to lose a game where you just windmill slam Necropotence, and I am 15-0 and laughing maniacally when I see people try to play the One Ring instead.

Anyways, good luck I won't be staying long.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

HootTheOwl posted:

Good morning Arena thread, you probably know there's an all access no-ban historic going on right now but did you know that Necropotence is in historic?
It is very hard to lose a game where you just windmill slam Necropotence, and I am 15-0 and laughing maniacally when I see people try to play the One Ring instead.

I’m playing LegenVD’s Rakdos discard/monkey deck and I prey upon the Necropotence gamers.

I can’t stop chasing the high of hitting people with Ragavan. When they scry something to the top and then you steal it and cast it with treasure? My god.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the only deck in mwm that's truly putrid is zombies I think. barely any removal except sacrifice (but the rest of the decks can make tokens well so it doesn't really matter), the curve is really awful, it relies on 4 and 5 mana enchantments that make more zombies but the other decks main deck enchantment removal which creates huge tempo loss.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Rap Game Goku posted:

I did fine with the GW deck, but I was also clearly playing people that didn't know what to do with their decks. Granted getting a 9/9 first strike trample lifegain commander out can be tough to deal with.

I didn't pilot it, but I did lose to the GW deck one of my games largely due to the game going long and the UW deck lacking (or at least I didn't see it) any meaningful way to remove enchantments/equipment from an opponents graveyard. Had a decent army of fliers, but couldn't do much against an opponent that can reoccur +12/+12 every turn onto their boys.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
This was a list Ali Eldrazi was running.

Deck
2 Swamp (XLN) 268
4 Ornithopter (M10) 216
4 Dark Ritual (STA) 26
1 Phyrexian Tower (JMP) 493
3 Necropotence (WOT) 31
4 Mishra's Bauble (BRR) 34
2 Tendrils of Agony (STA) 34
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx (THS) 223
4 Blooming Marsh (KLR) 280
3 Bolas's Citadel (WAR) 79
2 Scheming Symmetry (M20) 113
2 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
4 Weather the Storm (STA) 58
1 Nurturing Peatland (MH1) 243
4 Darkbore Pathway (KHM) 254
4 Witherbloom Apprentice (STX) 247
4 Deadly Dispute (AFR) 94
4 Shambling Ghast (AFR) 119
2 Deathcap Glade (VOW) 261
1 Boseiju, Who Endures (NEO) 266

The green splash is 100% worth it. Apprentice turns everything into a mini-tendrils and gets past a few hosers. Bolas's citadel is insane and if you have both with more than a couple ticks of life you win (necro away the bad top deck).

Saw two sick decks yesterday. One was Izzet taking turns, the other was mono R artifact shenannigans

odinson fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 9, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Rap Game Goku posted:

I didn't even look at the decklists before starting to play, so count me in with the "no idea what to do" crowd. I figured out some combos on the go (thanks Arena for just telling me all the stuff I can cast), but I also made a lot of mistakes thanks to just not knowing what cards do (e.g. the Aura with the keyword that gives counters to up to two creatures? I thought that you could give one creature two counters. Whoops). It doesn't matter, it's MWM, you'll always find someone worse than you.

kalel posted:

the only deck in mwm that's truly putrid is zombies I think. barely any removal except sacrifice (but the rest of the decks can make tokens well so it doesn't really matter), the curve is really awful, it relies on 4 and 5 mana enchantments that make more zombies but the other decks main deck enchantment removal which creates huge tempo loss.

agreeing with this, zombies always seemed to want like thrice the mana available to do anything close to as efficient as some other decks were able to. Oh wow I can cast one of like 7 creatures in hand or GY! All of them are bad and I'm getting obliterated by a keyword abomination.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've been using the rakdos sac deck, and it seems like if you look at the whole deck list, mulligan aggressively, and play very well, then you can be about as good as playing random flyers.

Like all the decks are very bad, but some concepts work better at a low power level than others. Like with g/w you have a commander with a bunch of keywords, just throw auras on them and eventually your opponent will run out of removal and you win.

Zombies is a huge value engine, especially if you get necroduality out

azorius flyers that gain life and draw cards are already good, playing them at instant speed is better, and flickering them is crazy.

The rakdos deck has almost no actual sac outlets, so you have to make your guys die in combat, so you have to play really aggressively. There's only 2 blood artist effects, not enough tokens and random 5 mana junk. The concept just doesn't really work as a low-power deck, because either you omit cards like Mayhem Devil and it sucks, or you add those necessary cards and it's by far the best deck.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

I made a suicide black deck featuring one Blood Moon to Beseech out, it's a total blast. My experience is not quite as winning as yours, but I appreciate the fact this is a format where I can Ritual out a Necro on t1 and my opponent doesn't immediately concede because there's plenty of busted poo poo they can be doing.

I really, really hope WotC makes this a permanent queue and, even more, makes a bo3 queue.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

I really, really hope WotC makes this a permanent queue and, even more, makes a bo3 queue.

:emptyquote:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

just wipe the historic ban list clean. bing bam boom

e: also I find that I have a higher tolerance for silly alchemy cards here since the format also has silly paper cards to counteract them

kalel fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 9, 2023

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

kalel posted:

Hopefully that's the plan. Format feels a lot better without Channel. It feels high powered with Monkey, Oko, Natural Order, One Ring (among others), but there are reasonable counters in Swords, Bolt, Counter Spell, etc. There might be some busted T0 deck that arises if it became a permanent queue, but I'm really digging the Magic for now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

space uncle posted:

I’m playing LegenVD’s Rakdos discard/monkey deck and I prey upon the Necropotence gamers.

I can’t stop chasing the high of hitting people with Ragavan. When they scry something to the top and then you steal it and cast it with treasure? My god.

Why am I scrying anything?
I have a necropotence, I will simply draw the cards...
And it's not a draw draw so I'm ignoring Bowmasters and Sheoldred... which I get to play because I'm in black.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 9, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

e: also I find that I have a higher tolerance for silly alchemy cards here since the format also has silly paper cards to counteract them

If they just said gently caress it and put vintage/legacy on Arena I would play it. Even half-rear end legacy vintage like they're doing with pioneer.
I'm also the weirdo who says they should make the card-code open source and let the community code them. I know, free labor, but I'd be willing to give up an hour of my time to play with phyrexiaan dreadnought.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Started looking at some videos on Ixilan draft. Some of the bombs are pretty crazy.

If I see a God, it will be hard to resist even if it is off-color.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

kalel posted:

I think the best luck you can have with UB Zombies deck is just trying to be consistent in dropping threats - most attacks are good because you can buy back after any trades with the commander. Mull for bombs as they can can be recurred with the commander and try to get extra value out of the tribal buffs.

But yes, interaction makes the deck real awkward.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
since the arena engine works by reading and interpreting the literal text printed on the cards, coding is the blocker for very few of the cards that aren't on arena percentagewise. it's overwhelmingly fitting them into the release calendar to sell to people without crowding out all the rest of the sets coming out

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

If they just said gently caress it and put vintage/legacy on Arena I would play it. Even half-rear end legacy vintage like they're doing with pioneer.
I'm also the weirdo who says they should make the card-code open source and let the community code them. I know, free labor, but I'd be willing to give up an hour of my time to play with phyrexiaan dreadnought.

Haha they've made it sound like their card parser could basically handle 99% of cards, just weirdest stuff like Emrakul took extra wrangling. Really seems like they could at any moment choose to release nearly the entire history of Magic for play, instead of choosing a bunch of stuff to just not include.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

giving them a lot of rope to take implementation time into account, they could feasibly do a legacy/vintage precon event for mwm. they'd have to manually implement maybe 10 non-arena cards that have weird text which the parser might not already be able to handle, like chains of meph. hell there's already precedent for them introducing cards to the game for events even before they're available to craft, like black lotus for the theros elspeth/ashiok event, or griselbrand being in the game code before soi remastered.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Now now, they would have to design icons for all the abilities that aren't already in there.

Love the idea of playing Shahrazad in MTGA, or a mini game for resolving Chaos Orb.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

flatluigi posted:

since the arena engine works by reading and interpreting the literal text printed on the cards, coding is the blocker for very few of the cards that aren't on arena percentagewise. it's overwhelmingly fitting them into the release calendar to sell to people without crowding out all the rest of the sets coming out

Fine I will handle one of the 1% in order to get a Phyrexian Dreadnought.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Love the idea of playing Shahrazad in MTGA
Sharahazad is just the game crashing. They can already do that.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

look just let me play with wasteland on arena. please wotc, I want to destroy some newb's hopes and dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kalel posted:

look just let me play with wasteland on arena. please wotc, I want to destroy some newb's hopes and dreams

Wasteland would be cool but give me Hymn to Tourach for annoying unfun cards

I'd also want Hatred even though there's no way it's playable. As a middle schooler though hating your opponent to death was just the absolute sickest poo poo