Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Athas posted:

Don't be a coward; definitely show up to a tournament with an army based on top of asbestos.

I just finished gluing together a Battlezone: Fronteris – Nachmund set. (What's up with the weird name anyway?) Now I just have to paint an enormous amount of plastic, and then I'll finally have some cover from bloody anti tank guns plinking my jetbikes.

It was released as a tie-in to the Nachmund season of 9th edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I say down with the haters. Nothing is more 40k than ripping out chunks of your toxic house to make your warriors slightly taller

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I remember back in the day reading posts about game store weirdos using their own blood for their chaos marines.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

I remember back in the day reading posts about game store heroes using their own blood for their chaos marines.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Super Waffle posted:

I remember back in the day reading posts about game store weirdos using their own blood for their chaos marines.

There's the ultimate poorhammer guide about how to preserve dragonfly wings to use on Hive tyrants because you can't afford the official GW dragon wings.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

Ninjon in a desperate bid to spike up his viewership numbers on YouTube did a video where he painted a model using his own blood. It's kind of gross and marked the point where I seemed inclined to watch less of his content.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Ninjon in a desperate bid to spike up his viewership numbers on YouTube did a video where he painted a model using his own blood. It's kind of gross and marked the point where I seemed inclined to watch less of his content.

Ninjon seems to have a really insufferable vibe to his channel, which is unfortunate because they are a pretty good painter. Something about him just seems like a little too over the top. There is a Youtuber called Discourse who also does a lot of over the top videos which the the little clickbait preview images, and every week they are talking about how "This is the end of GW as we know it!". I rather like Warhipster, because his videos are just painting. He has a couple chat live streams, but most of their content is just painting, which is nice and refreshing.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Games Workshop just made a FATAL MISTAKE

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I saw one of those in my recommendation feeds a while back. One of the videos titled something like SPACE MARINE SCANDAL CONTINUES or similar. Instant "Do not recommend" for that one.
Might've been Discourse Minis even.

Squidmar is also one I can't stand, because of the clickbait headlines.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The connecting walls in the Nachmund seemed very liable to slide apart during play, and you weren't supposed to glue them, so I drilled holes and dropped in some neodymium magnets. Seems to work well! This is the first time I've used magnets, so I guess that is another hobby achievement obtained.

Of course, intoxicated by this success I am probably going to drill way too many magnet holes in my next models.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Squidmar is terrible, but I can't blame Ninjon and his ilk for chasing the algorithm trying to grow their business. Those clickbaity titles and previews are click baity for a reason; people click on them. Its endemic to every genre of youtuber and its just what you gotta do to get those views.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Whenever I start my channel I'm just going to ignore the algorithm because I just don't care. I hate clickbait titles, I hate Mr beast inspired thumbnails, I hate it.

No one will ever see a shred of my skin or face I promise

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah, I saw one of those in my recommendation feeds a while back. One of the videos titled something like SPACE MARINE SCANDAL CONTINUES or similar. Instant "Do not recommend" for that one.
Might've been Discourse Minis even.

Squidmar is also one I can't stand, because of the clickbait headlines.

Discourse Minis has a second channel, Dungeons & Discourse, which does the same thing for D&D news. I have to respect the hustle to an extent but I am never clicking any of those videos.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Demilich posted:

Whenever I start my channel I'm just going to ignore the algorithm because I just don't care. I hate clickbait titles, I hate Mr beast inspired thumbnails, I hate it.

No one will ever see a shred of my skin or face I promise

Enjoy the single digit views

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

People need to come to terms with Youtube videos being white noise that happens in the background like talk radio used to be. The content it self doesn't matter but someone still needs to decide on the programming, and now that job is done by the algorithm instead of a broadcast director or something.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Reminded of some reddit post talking about a guy who used crab claws on his Tyranids and the whole store would reek of rotting fish when he brought his army in

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Fine by me tbh, if the lack of algorithmic style is good enough for Vince Venturella it's good enough for me.
I also refuse to have ads. gently caress em.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Eej posted:

Reminded of some reddit post talking about a guy who used crab claws on his Tyranids and the whole store would reek of rotting fish when he brought his army in

this is a common problem with people who try to do shell kit bashes

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

People need to come to terms with Youtube videos being white noise that happens in the background like talk radio used to be. The content it self doesn't matter but someone still needs to decide on the programming, and now that job is done by the algorithm instead of a broadcast director or something.

Sure but as beholden to the all mighty algorithm some of these hobby content makers are it still doesn't mean I'm going to click a video. Especially when their content has all the hallmarks of someone who really really just needs to paint miniatures for a living without actually doing commission work.

Like, Eric's Hobby Workshop is just a dude who really likes Warhammer, likes making cool poo poo and likes making videos about it. Sure, he's got mad vocal fry, but that's the kind of white noise I'll click on. Same with anything MS Paints creates.

If the algorithm is paying attention to that then hopefully it sees that's the kind of content creator poo poo I'm into and that theae creators keep getting the numbers they need to avoid having to whore out and paint minis with their own blood or bait us into hearing how this latest release is the death rattle of Games Workshop.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Spanish Manlove posted:

And I will be one of those digits!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Eons of Battle is probably my favorite channel. BS is at a minimum, and his shilling is reasonable. Also I like his intro of an ork pouring a bucket of nuln oil over an army :buddy:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I bounced off EOB hard when it was obvious he was really chasing those numbers, but maybe I'll check back in with him again sometime.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Stephenls posted:

Discourse Minis has a second channel, Dungeons & Discourse, which does the same thing for D&D news. I have to respect the hustle to an extent but I am never clicking any of those videos.

I blocked them from my feed and couldn't figure out how they got back in my feed. Thanks for pointing this out.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The youtube video algorithm is incredibly dumb.

I've clicked on the two paint thinning videos in the OP, the one poorhammer video linked in the page previously, and now my whole feed is at least half warhammer poo poo. I think I've watched around 10 paint tutorial videos, less than half of them were useful, and I don't think I want to see another one again.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I bounced off EOB hard when it was obvious he was really chasing those numbers, but maybe I'll check back in with him again sometime.

He just had a video where he puts a Reaver titan together with an awesome pose and goes through all the steps in a really clear way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItfOjYK34oQ

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure I watched a couple of his older videos while looking for ideas to make a Craftworld Base.
Might even end up using one of the ideas shown if I lose the auction on a pair of elaborate resin eldar bases.

I still lament the fact that the WHTV videos have now morphed over to just average figure painting video, but done way too fast in comparison.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m going to start up a Tau Fire Warrior KT and have narrowed myself down to these options from the old codex:

Any idea of what septs they are, if any?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Professor Shark posted:

Any idea of what septs they are, if any?

I don't think any of those colour schemes got Sept names

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Going through the list of spets on Lexicanum I can't find any having those colour sets.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ex-sept.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Lostconfused posted:

The youtube video algorithm is incredibly dumb.

I've clicked on the two paint thinning videos in the OP, the one poorhammer video linked in the page previously, and now my whole feed is at least half warhammer poo poo. I think I've watched around 10 paint tutorial videos, less than half of them were useful, and I don't think I want to see another one again.

Go to your watch history and remove stuff you don't want more of. Their algorithm is so desperate these days. Hey you watched 30 seconds of this before clicking off, have more.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Where can I post my lol's about GW bringing back both 40K Epic and Warhammer Fantasy cause apparently they don't have enough money?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Where can I post my lol's about GW bringing back both 40K Epic and Warhammer Fantasy cause apparently they don't have enough money?

spec games thread is the place for GW games that aren't the big two.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
While I played both decades ago, I really have no motivation to start getting back into them. I really don't think either of them is going to be a hit.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They're bringing back ranks and files?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Lostconfused posted:

They're bringing back ranks and files?

Yup https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/06/old-world-almanack-the-movement-phase-introduces-marching-columns/

Looks to be quite a bit different to how it worked in WHFB 8th Edition though.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cool, I was looking at Age of Sigmar last week and was disappointed with all the round bases.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Athas posted:

Don't be a coward; definitely show up to a tournament with an army based on top of asbestos.

Good way to encourage the "don't touch other people's models without permission" rule.

"oh hey just FYI some of my models have asbestos in the bases but don't worry it will be fine as long as no one breaks anything off it. Which ones? Funny, I can never remember" .

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Larping life in the Underhive by exposing myself and my opponents to asbestos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Athas posted:

Isn't that just models with unsealed pigments on the bases?

(I have an artist friend who has, uh, words, for people who think leaving unsealed pigments on works designed to be handled and moved around is at all healthy.)