Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Even the episode where everyone devolves with Crab Worf and Riker Ape?

That episode was action-packed and I loved most of it, but did it have to get so political by presenting evolution as if it was proven scientific fact rather than just a THEORY? Stop shoving your views down our throats - there are other competing theories that should have been highlighted to be fair and balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TEACH THE CONTROVERSY

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I for one am glad that my teachers at school taught us all properly that we one day we'll randomly evolve into crabs and salamanders.

good to prepare students for space travel bullshit early.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If Reginald Barkley evolved from a spider, then why are there still spiders?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Every Space Salamander baby is wanted

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If Reginald Barkley evolved from a spider, then why are there still spiders?

How weird would it be to casually confirm Barclay is from a planet with an arachnid-heavy ecosystem, and he is an intelligent arachnohumanoid... But that's all we ever see of it, and it never comes up again.

Except for rumors of a deleted scene in which silk comes relentlessly shooting out of Barclay's rear end while he erratically leaps along the corridor.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

BRING ME HOLOIMAGES OF SPIDER-REG!

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

If Janeway and Paris evolved into salamanders, why are there still humans??

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brawnfire posted:

How weird would it be to casually confirm Barclay is from a planet with an arachnid-heavy ecosystem, and he is an intelligent arachnohumanoid... But that's all we ever see of it, and it never comes up again.

Except for rumors of a deleted scene in which silk comes relentlessly shooting out of Barclay's rear end while he erratically leaps along the corridor.

You misspelled erotically

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sorry, one-handed typing!

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

We watched a couple Voyager episodes. A meh Q episode where the one Q wants to commit suicide and then the Vividian lady gets rescued and has romance with the doc, which was pretty good.

Did they ever establish that the phage wasn't able to be contracted by any species but Vividian and Federation tech had nothing to offer in fighting the disease? I know they did say Vividian medical technology was super advanced but I don't recall if Voyager ever tried to throw resources at it. Then again they've been nothing but assholes to Voyager overall so not sure why they'd want to help.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

George Costanza cures them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big rear end On Fire posted:

We watched a couple Voyager episodes. A meh Q episode where the one Q wants to commit suicide and then the Vividian lady gets rescued and has romance with the doc, which was pretty good.

Did they ever establish that the phage wasn't able to be contracted by any species but Vividian and Federation tech had nothing to offer in fighting the disease? I know they did say Vividian medical technology was super advanced but I don't recall if Voyager ever tried to throw resources at it. Then again they've been nothing but assholes to Voyager overall so not sure why they'd want to help.

The Doctor tried his best in some instances and had a Vidiian girlfriend who he was at least able to treat her symptoms

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
that makes me think about the episode where they split B'Elanna. And you know, for a science-based show, there's sure a lot of 'and we split this mixed person into the two parts of themselves' thing, which isn't how genetics works.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 9, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you can Tuvix two people you can untuvix one person, that's what I always say

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
the holodeck and the trasporter work with magic adventure story rules, not science rules

that's how you get Moriarty as a character in Picard, which still has me :psyduck: I didn't know that until the thread called it out

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Things transporters can do, apparently:

* Merge two people into one
* Split a merged person into two
* Split a person into their good and evil selves
* Clone a person
* Revert a person to their child form

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Can we split a person into infant versions of their genetic parents?

I don't know why, but I'm sure some scientist out there has an entire lab on an empty planet devoted to that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DaveWoo posted:

Things transporters can do, apparently:

* Merge two people into one
* Split a merged person into two
* Split a person into their good and evil selves
* Clone a person
* Revert a person to their child form

* Turn you inside out
* De-age you from elderly to middle aged
* Age you up from child to adult
* Transport you across dimensions
* Keep you in suspended animation for decades

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So the Transports takes a copy of the individual and stores that copy in a buffer for later retrieval...

Meaning, it's immortality tech. Isn't there a copy of Prime Kirk in a starship database right now? Or Picard, or anyone that has used the transporters? That could be energized?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

* Turn you inside out
* De-age you from elderly to middle aged
* Age you up from child to adult
* Transport you across dimensions
* Keep you in suspended animation for decades

* Phase you through walls and floors
* Make you invisible
*Expose you to transdimensional worms, or your mother on fire

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

redshirt posted:

So the Transports takes a copy of the individual and stores that copy in a buffer for later retrieval...

Meaning, it's immortality tech. Isn't there a copy of Prime Kirk in a starship database right now? Or Picard, or anyone that has used the transporters? That could be energized?

The file size is too large to store like that

But DS9 put all the senior staff into the j/o booth computer for a while

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

redshirt posted:

Or once they discover they can use the transporter to change age or cure diseases why isn't that just standard, have a baseline pattern that you're reset to on every transport.

edit: Now I wonder why they never did a body swap episode involving the transporter. It's all set up to be possible.

kdrudy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 9, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I love that it's so easy to tell this shot is from "Ha! I'm a role model!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Soul Dentist posted:

* Phase you through walls and floors
* Make you invisible
*Expose you to transdimensional worms, or your mother on fire

* Transfer your consciousness to a holodeck character
* Keep you phased and glowing (but otherwise okay) for several days
* Give you hours of hallucinations while you're in the pattern buffer for a few seconds

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

maybeadracula posted:

The file size is too large to store like that

But DS9 put all the senior staff into the j/o booth computer for a while

Operating system: 2.1 gigaquads
Local databases: 3.6 gigaquads
Life support controls: 1.3 gigaquads
Captain Sisko’s disembodied consciousness: 87 teraquads
Replicator files: 6 gigaquads

Someone who is good at data management please help me budget this. My station memory is dying.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Operating system: 2.1 gigaquads
Local databases: 3.6 gigaquads
Life support controls: 1.3 gigaquads
Captain Sisko’s disembodied consciousness: 87 teraquads
Replicator files: 6 gigaquads

Someone who is good at data management please help me budget this. My station memory is dying.

Delete The Sisko

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Delete The Sisko

Whoa whoa let's talk about this first.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

I know this is a bit but I still hate you a little bit for this.

naem
May 29, 2011

P’kirk

Kirr’K’Ard

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The transporter sucks!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's even an awesome TNG episode using a related premise, where Scotty has stored himself for decades.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CainFortea posted:

I know this is a bit but I still hate you a little bit for this.

Why not just spam print Ensign T'Chal?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt posted:

There's even an awesome TNG episode using a related premise, where Scotty has stored himself for decades.

Just finished watching that an hour ago!

Its the one with the Dyson sphere.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I liked when he and Geordi are talking about the engineering estimates the former gives Picard. Scotty is hell no don't tell him exactly how long it takes, pad it by 4x and then he'll think you're a miracle worker.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Whatever you say the Captain always says "You have half that" and walks away, so might as well.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

* Transfer your consciousness to a holodeck character
* Keep you phased and glowing (but otherwise okay) for several days
* Give you hours of hallucinations while you're in the pattern buffer for a few seconds

* put your soul into a backup save of your body

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Binging TNG this year it occurred to me that a bunch of crises were either due to limited time or a function of limited energy or a combination of the two. It's nice when they stay away from those constraints for the conflict.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

davidspackage posted:

* put your soul into a backup save of your body

Thomas Riker is his own man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

Thomas Riker is his own man!

Was he?