Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Gonna Frankenstein the oled screen into the original Deck :sickos:

I wonder if they'll offer a swap kit, that'd be pretty neat. Dunno if I'd bother but still cool option to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamdeck_2023

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

priznat posted:

I wonder if they'll offer a swap kit, that'd be pretty neat. Dunno if I'd bother but still cool option to have.

Looks like the OLED screens are 7.4" compared to the old 7" ones so not swappable. 1TB maximum size too, guess they saw how popular storage upgrades were.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ugh, I'm going to buy that Limited Edition one, aren't I?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

$649 for the 1TB OLED model. Kinda pricey to consider as an upgrade.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Party Boat posted:

Looks like the OLED screens are 7.4" compared to the old 7" ones so not swappable. 1TB maximum size too, guess they saw how popular storage upgrades were.

Ah well. Looks like not an earth shaking upgrade otherwise so don't feel the urge. A nice refresh though!

Kinda surprised they didn't move the USB port to the bottom for better docking options, but then everyone would get mad they'd need a new dock I suppose.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Unfortunately 'MURICA only

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MikusR posted:

How do you know? It's showing up as unavailable for me in the States too. I've seen that before with Steam page launches.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I've had my 256 for 11 months now and I adore it. The only thing is the aforementioned BG3 size issue which can be fixed on my end in several ways.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MikusR posted:

drat right

https://i.imgur.com/5EhLfug.gifv

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
FUUUUU-- I literally just bought a Switch OLED specifically for the screen yesterday.

When Lord (GabeN), when will Australia see the Steam Deck OLED?
I've already bought two at inflated prices on eBay. Refuse to do it again, will wait impatiently for release Down Under.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

How do you know? It's showing up as unavailable for me in the States too. I've seen that before with Steam page launches.

I was going by the "This item is not available in your country" and "Quantities are highly limited, and are only available in the United States and Canada.". Hopefully that is only for the transparent version.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vTsZMvjJ-A

Youtube Description posted:

Steam Deck OLED arrives November 16th, with a high dynamic range OLED screen, longer-lasting battery, faster downloads, and much more. http://steamdeck.com

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

On the one hand, I don't think I"d go for it just to get the oled and the bigger storage without a more serious hardware refresh. Don't get me wrong, I"m sure the oled screen is amazing, but the LCD screen is solidly good enough and is a pretty pleasant experience. Same with the storage, more is nice but it's not like the deck is hard to upgrade or that storage is expensive. poo poo, even just throwing a 1 TB microSD in solves a ton of storage problems, and that's before you get to how cheap real SSDs are. Probably the biggest improvement is the 30-50% better battery life.

On the other hand, if I were buying one today no loving question that I'd get the 500gb oled, unless I decided to be frugal and go for the marked down normal ones.

This is the rare upgrade where I'm not salty at all that I got one on sale just recently, but am genuinely happy for the people who are just getting in and can get a somewhat nicer one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

bigger battery and a die shrink too

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Nice. Glad I didn't buy one during the last sale. I'll definitely consider one now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man the OLED is very enticing but I really wish they'd coupled it with a processor upgrade-- hard to justify an upgrade for just the screen.

Really want to see the comparison of the bezel!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Still gonna need to swap the joysticks.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Question regarding SSD upgrade: if I get the 64GB model and swap in an SSD, will the included 64GB EMMC drive function in a standard M.2 SSD external enclosure for swapping data over? I assume the answer is yes as it has the same form factor but I wanted to confirm with the thread.

Edit: I missed the new OLED news -- looks like the above question isn't really relevant since there's no way I'm skipping out on the OLED screen.

Setec_Astronomy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 9, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DF already had a hands on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1KLj06fn2s

90Hz display

e:"easily the best screen I've seen on a handheld"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Definitely a noticeable difference in bezel size!

I don't know about "best screen", I mean the Ally has a 1080p@120Hz and it's still 800p@90Hz. The Legion Go has 2560x1600@144Hz. Though most of that is wasted, of course, and neither are OLED.

I feel like 90Hz is just a really great refresh rate to target. The visual difference between 90 and 120 feels non-existent to me.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 9, 2023

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://x.com/wario64/status/1722677234367082813?s=46&t=N7n6PWOfayjk6ZIVC2eaDw

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Switch Pro vs Deck 2. Which will get here first.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

gently caress, seems like that's the better touchscreen everyone kept wishing for too

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
is it risky to buy this early? i understand the early ones had quite a bit of QA issues (spicy trackpad etc). otoh it has quickly become my favorite gaming device so i'll probably upgrade eventually

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Steam Deck 2 gonna smell so loving good

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

If I didn't buy a ROG Ally I'd consider getting a new Steam Deck, but I'm not sure I could go back down to the performance profile on a Steam Deck. 14% faster RAM isn't going to make a huge difference I would think. Certainly not compared to the Ally having 1.1 ghz GPU clock over the SD.

A shame because I really like SD's OS better than using windows. But I also play Call of Duty so the SD doesn't help me much there. Windows on the SD blows. :/

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

In torn here, if they didn’t announce that deck 2 was 2-3 years away I may be more tempted, the switch oled upgrade was huge but I’m not sure if I’m willing to put out that money for 2 years. I’m sure, however, that once some of you goons get it and start gushing about it I’ll eventually get the oled, hopefully I can get a good price for my led to go towards it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Better CPU (smaller and probably cheaper to run, watts wise)
Better wifi (5->6e)
better battery (40wh-45wh)
bigger screen (7->7.4 means no bezels???)

since you can't just buy all the parts on ifixit means I'm gonna have to suck it up and buy the new $650 steam deck for all the goodies, I hope the limited is still available next year cause I can't afford that, that's a goddamn car payment

the big deal for me is the battery, 40w just does not last long enough

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cutedge posted:

If I didn't buy a ROG Ally I'd consider getting a new Steam Deck, but I'm not sure I could go back down to the performance profile on a Steam Deck. 14% faster RAM isn't going to make a huge difference I would think. Certainly not compared to the Ally having 1.1 ghz GPU clock over the SD.

In their quick testing, DF said they saw up to around an 8% uplift.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

loudog999 posted:

In torn here, if they didn’t announce that deck 2 was 2-3 years away I may be more tempted, the switch oled upgrade was huge but I’m not sure if I’m willing to put out that money for 2 years. I’m sure, however, that once some of you goons get it and start gushing about it I’ll eventually get the oled, hopefully I can get a good price for my led to go towards it.

I'm going to work real hard to convince myself that this is for all the people on the fence about the original Deck, and the 2 will be the upgrade worth making if you've already got one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

loudog999 posted:

Yeah, at this point I've fiddled with mine enough I can be patient for the big boy update

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

chunkles posted:

is it risky to buy this early? i understand the early ones had quite a bit of QA issues (spicy trackpad etc). otoh it has quickly become my favorite gaming device so i'll probably upgrade eventually

I just started a job and I'm hoping I'll get paid in time to buy an OLED Deck because my 256gb launch Deck is my most satisfactory gadget purchase I've ever made despite one of the speakers not working. I use it so much that I haven't been able to stand sending it away to get fixed

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the screen isn't VRR, right?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, at this point I've fiddled with mine enough I can be patient for the big boy update

Same, but this is cool! Nice upgrade.

I ordered the Anbernic Arc and I'm super excited about a handheld Saturn, it's been my dream for decades

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

the screen isn't VRR, right?

I don’t think it is. If it was it would be nearly perfect imo.

This is hella tempting that’s for sure

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

No VRR for oled.

Looks like they’re sourcing the panel from the same source as OLED Switch.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want this update with a stronger processor and eGPU support very badly.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Is the body size the same? Can I put my same d-brand case on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Rinkles posted:

In their quick testing, DF said they saw up to around an 8% uplift.

That's better than I expected. Hmm.