Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Don't worry, the LIGHTNING NETWORK™ will solve everything! Coming soon in 2018 2024!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
It's actually a CIA secret plot that keeps bitcoin alive since cops love that it makes crimes so easy to track

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

kw0134 posted:

Don't worry, the LIGHTNING NETWORK™ will solve everything! Coming soon in 2018 2024!

I stopped hearing about the lightning network a couple years back, what happened there

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fate Accomplice posted:

I stopped hearing about the lightning network a couple years back, what happened there

All the issues it was going to solve turned out to be FUD and bitcoin doesn't have any problems.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Mercury_Storm posted:

It's actually a NSA directive that keeps bitcoin alive since cops love that it makes crimes so easy to track

FTFY

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Nessus posted:

Presumably if I buy an ETF through Schwab, and later sell my shares in that ETF, Schwab will give me my money. The problem comes if the exchange in question abruptly dies/is pillaged, but what are the odds of that?
In that situation it's likely you can simply transfer to another exchange and sell them through that instead. Share markets are generally better regulated so an exchange going under shouldn't mean any shares you own go up in smoke like when a crypto exchange collapses.

Issues with ETFs often involve liquidity; for example if there's not enough people willing to take your ETF units off your hands when you want to sell, or the ETF manager can't sell the underlying asset fast enough to keep up with ETF investors selling their units.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

gay picnic defence posted:

In that situation it's likely you can simply transfer to another exchange and sell them through that instead. Share markets are generally better regulated so an exchange going under shouldn't mean any shares you own go up in smoke like when a crypto exchange collapses.

Issues with ETFs often involve liquidity; for example if there's not enough people willing to take your ETF units off your hands when you want to sell, or the ETF manager can't sell the underlying asset fast enough to keep up with ETF investors selling their units.

So, an asset that is hard to sell in bulk would be an issue?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Fate Accomplice posted:

Honestly because even buttcoiners gave up the charade that this was a payment network and not a speculative vehicle that will make everyone trillionaires for reasons.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It was easy to do the equivalent of a runescape trade scam on the lightning network. So easy in fact they had to implement watchdog nodes to punish people who do it lmao

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Nessus posted:

Presumably if I buy an ETF through Schwab, and later sell my shares in that ETF, Schwab will give me my money. The problem comes if the exchange in question abruptly dies/is pillaged, but what are the odds of that?
the whole reason pro-bitcoin people want a bitcoin ETF approved is because it's a backdoor way to get "bitcoin" traded on an actual, for-real exchange like the NYSE or Nasdaq. you don't have to worry about the exchange vanishing and taking your bitcoin ETF shares with it, because you're trading on a regulated exchange like the Nasdaq and your shares of the ETF are held by a regulated broker like Schwab.

now, the legal entity that is the "bitcoin ETF" does still have to worry about not losing all of the bitcoins it actually holds, so all you've really done is made the risks and costs of holding and trading bitcoin the responsibility of the managers of the ETF, rather than yourself as shareholder of the ETF. the ETF shareholders still bear those risks and costs indirectly, they've just centralized those problems and put someone else (the ETF's managers) in charge of handling it. which is the reason that approval for a bitcoin ETF has been (rightfully) refused so far: bitcoins are still stupid and useless for everything except scams and money laundering, putting on a pair of gloves before you touch the poop does not change the fact that you are still playing with poop

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The blackboard labeled GAME THEORY above a bunch of random unrelated equations from physics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetics, and high school trigonometry really sells the image of bitcoiners as sophisticated experts in math, economics, and finance, and not a pseudointellectual cargo cult at all.

Me? Oh I'm studying game theory, it's much too complicated for you no-coiners to understand *types 'complicated math' into Google image search and copies down Gauss's Law*

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 9, 2023

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The Custody Starter Kit is what coiners need when they lose the inevitable family court battle

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Custody Starter Kit is just a big bowl of chilli.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

"financial sovereignty" is not one of the catchphrases I've seen too often, but I like it because it really drives home that this is just the sovereign-citizen mindset updated for the computer-touching generation

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

SettingSun posted:

You can cash out bitcoin more or less without issue unless you try to do so at volume. Lord Satoshi himself is rumored to hold over a million bitcoins, worth tens of billions, but moving that much is all but impossible, real or not.

I wanna quote this as a thing that people point to genuinely as "so obviously it's fine" when it actually points to a solvency issue.

I would not trust any crypto exchange, anywhere, to actually let people, en masse, sell their crypto. We see time and again that every time anything close to that happens the exchange goes "whoops sorry we actually don't have the money to actually let you cash out lol" because why would they? Most of these exchanges are just some assholes running a site. Look at FTX for the big example of the most "securely backed" exchange lmao.

Realistically if Bitcoin magically "goes to the moon" (let's say a million, that's someone idiots think is doable) and a bunch of people (100 people, ooh a massive amount of people's!) try to cash out they'll get told that no one actually has $100 million in for real cash for them, because where the gently caress are they gonna get $100 million from suddenly? And why would anyway actually buy them? And if you get told "nope" then what do you fucken do then?

Cashing out has always been the hardest part of the crypto equation and that is hilarious.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

I wanna quote this as a thing that people point to genuinely as "so obviously it's fine" when it actually points to a solvency issue.

I would not trust any crypto exchange, anywhere, to actually let people, en masse, sell their crypto. We see time and again that every time anything close to that happens the exchange goes "whoops sorry we actually don't have the money to actually let you cash out lol" because why would they? Most of these exchanges are just some assholes running a site. Look at FTX for the big example of the most "securely backed" exchange lmao.

Realistically if Bitcoin magically "goes to the moon" (let's say a million, that's someone idiots think is doable) and a bunch of people (100 people, ooh a massive amount of people's!) try to cash out they'll get told that no one actually has $100 million in for real cash for them, because where the gently caress are they gonna get $100 million from suddenly? And why would anyway actually buy them? And if you get told "nope" then what do you fucken do then?

Cashing out has always been the hardest part of the crypto equation and that is hilarious.
Yeah it turns out that the exchanges prefer the "give us your real money in exchange for pretend money" side of the trade over the "we'll give you our real money in exchange for your pretend money" side.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Platystemon posted:

The Custody Starter Kit is just a big bowl of chilli.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

kw0134 posted:

Gotta wait for six confirmations to be sure, so sit back in the waiting room for the next hour or else you get tazed in the balls for leaving without paying.

Jokes on you, getting my balls tazed is my fetish, and this is the cheapest option!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Blotto_Otter posted:

"financial sovereignty" is not one of the catchphrases I've seen too often, but I like it because it really drives home that this is just the sovereign-citizen mindset updated for the computer-touching generation

Lmao, computers, as machines that MUST operate within an extremely precise instruction set, are the exact opposite of the sovereign citizen mindset and will never, ever be compatible.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Which exchanges can you actually get money out of now, many aren't allowed US bank accounts, I think Binance just lost all its EU ones so they converted all the euros on their books to tethers.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
i was doubtful before but the chad meme convinced me to go all in on bag holding for criminals. see you at the next apefest

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

That depends on if they get the same UV lights there or not.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Lammasu posted:

So, an asset that is hard to sell in bulk would be an issue?

Yeah, it’s happened or been at risk of happening several times with actual investments. The Ark ETFs were looking shaky for a while because they held a large % of shares in companies with low trading volumes. If they had to liquidate those assets they’d be in a bit of trouble because there simply wasn’t a big enough market for the volume of shares they’d have to unload.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Blotto_Otter posted:

It's the same insanity all the way down into colloidal silver and tesla electrical machinery.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Fate Accomplice posted:

I think I use it to charge my iPhone.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SettingSun posted:

You can cash out bitcoin more or less without issue unless you try to do so at volume. Lord Satoshi himself is rumored to hold over a million bitcoins, worth tens of billions, but moving that much is all but impossible, real or not.

You could move enough to make you never work again wealthy. Those first unmoved bitcoins that's Satoshi's rumored to have are almost certainly lost. Or they're dead, which amounts to the same thing.

Pretty sure organized crime still use bitcoin for laundering/moving illegitimate money, so that would see an influx of some cash at least, or have they moved on to something else now?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Nah, bitcoin is not very good for crimes, despite not having any other use.

Most of the real action is in tether

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

tango alpha delta posted:

Lmao, computers, as machines that MUST operate within an extremely precise instruction set, are the exact opposite of the sovereign citizen mindset and will never, ever be compatible.
lucky for us, the humans that use those computers are complete morons with imprecise brains full of neurons that fire in hilariously random ways, and they've done an excellent job at making those extremely-precise computers waste their time playing numberwang until someone randomly wins a lotto ticket that entitles them to a lifetime membership in the ron paul fan club. the principles of how computers work is irrelevant, what they really care about is how the bits in their computer intersect with the real world, and the only way they can convince themselves that those bits have any kind of benefit in the real world is by deliberately and totally misunderstanding the nature of governments, laws, and economics. that's the part that seems really sovcit-like to me

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

drk posted:

bitcoin's really good at funding the north korean nuclear program though

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

drk posted:

At some point in the future we are going to be hearing an awful lot about Tether.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

14 years later, BITCOIN...

...is still processing your transaction.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

drk posted:

Ah fair enough. Tether you say, just going to write that down for future... not massive international money laundering schemes. :ninja:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Not sure how saying nothing about a process has changed in 14 years is a good thing.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Remember how Bitcoin is decentralized but also a central organisation makes decisions for it? Also exchanges become a thing because people didn't want to deal with the decentralized element? Good times.

I actually go around and do technical consulting pitches for Bitcoins to businesses. I don't get paid to do it, I just enjoy seeing some business get hosed up by it, it's really funny. I'm trying to convince VISA to have a Bitcoin card specifically marketed to tourists. I think it'll really cause chaos when someone visits another country, tries to pay for something and then the transaction is just not happening and everyone is awkward and then eventually the merchant starts thinking they're getting ripped off and the customer is freaking out cause they don't even know what's happening because they never actually tell you it'll take forever to process (and sometimes it just won't because anyway)

Bitcoin is good, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

SettingSun posted:

It was easy to do the equivalent of a runescape trade scam on the lightning network. So easy in fact they had to implement watchdog nodes to punish people who do it lmao

I wish to know more.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

This isn't really a thing. It's one of the whole reasons ETFs exist.

A long time ago, there were only individual stocks. If you wanted broad exposure or fancy stockpicking, you'd personally buy everything individually. That is complicated and also expensive, since this is also before the days where buying fractional shares was a thing (If you wanted a S&P 500 like thing, you can only buy those in multiples of the ~$4k total price of its components). Mutual funds were invented to deal with this. After trading closes each day, the fund posts a price and people buy/sell shares of the fund for cash at that price. Then the fund management buys/sells the underlying assets later to fix any buy-sell imbalance. The fund charges a % fee on every shareholder to pay for itself

That is annoying for a few reasons:
- The fund is regularly having to buy and sell stuff to keep up with customers entering/exiting. It's also having to deal with lots of individual customers. That has transaction costs for the buys/sells, and operational costs to deal with all those people
- In the US, selling a security for a profit triggers capital gains tax. So as customer churn in and out, the fund is also triggering tax costs whenever it sells and those add more expense

Exchange Traded Funds were invented to deal with that:
- The fund itself does not deal with piddly individual orders. It only deals with big giant companies, and only in big lots (e.g. 50,000 shares). This reduces transaction costs.
- Creating new fund shares or destroying them back is done with barter, not cash. If you want to create 50,000 new shares in a ETF that is tracking S&P 500, it is your problem to go get 50,000 x (all the shares in the index). Then you swap those stocks to the ETF for 50,000 ETF shares. Destroying ETF shares works in reverse, you can redeem your 50,000 ETF shares and get the component stocks. There are no capital gains events and the fund doesn't deal with the money<=>stock conversion costs
- When most people deal with buying/selling ETF shares, they are not dealing with the ETF itself. The companies that got those big lots will break them up into individual shares and sell them on a secondary market. It's somewhat analogous to how a company issuing new stock/doing a stock buyback is different from trading an existing stock share. Apple-the-company doesn't run the sales or directly interact with people trading Apple shares on NASDAQ.
- Since it is a secondary market, liquidity comes from market makers with a bid-ask spread. Basically going "I have lots of shares and will either buy more for $100 or sell them for $101". The less liquid the thing and less competition for the market, the wider the price spread.

For normal people, giant index tracking things:
- The ETF equivalent of an index is cheaper to hold long term (smaller % fee because the fund has less costs). Buying/selling will cost you a stockbroker commission for the order just like an ordinary stock
- The mutual fund equivalent of an index is cheaper (free) to buy/sell (transaction costs are effectively subsidized by everybody who is holding). The recurring % fee to pay for fund expenses is higher

For a SEC-approved bitcoin ETF, basically they'd need to do:
- Satisfy SEC that they can hold stuff without it being stolen, the same way a gold bars ETF has to satisfy the SEC about physical security
- Have a mechanism for Big Trusted Market Maker Companies to go "Here's 50,000 bitcoin to put in your vault, give me 50,000 ETF shares" and the reverse. The ETF would never actually need to deal with changing bitcoin for cash

(The main SEC objections are about how crypto is full of market manipulation, but they already lost a lawsuit about them blocking bitcoin futures, which have the same underlying objection)

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

zetamind2000 posted:

bitcoin's really good at funding the north korean nuclear program though

Plus Russia and Hamas

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

If you wanted a S&P 500 like thing, you can only buy those in multiples of the ~$4k total price of its components

The index price is not a sum of the value of its components (which would imply an average share price of less than :10bux:)

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

drk posted:

The index price is not a sum of the value of its components (which would imply an average share price of less than :10bux:)
This is true, it is weighted by market capitalization and non-closely held fraction. It would still be expensive and chunky to try to homebrew your own basket that tracked the index out of individual stocks in pre-fractional shares days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
Today a twitch streamer linked me to this hilarious story from 2021 which I'm sure I read at the time but had no memory of: The disastrous voyage of Satoshi, the world’s first cryptocurrency cruise ship