Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://x.com/BenjaminCrew1/status/1722342086622560708?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I can't help it. I'm actually excited for the Mean Girls Musical Movie. I saw it on broadway and had a great time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Frozen Peach posted:

I can't help it. I'm actually excited for the Mean Girls Musical Movie. I saw it on broadway and had a great time.

It might be great, but that trailer gave me zero reason to think so.

I hope it is. I love the original.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm hoping Frozen Empire is the movie I wanted Afterlife to be. Without the dead dad angst angle maybe it can lean more on Paul Rudd for some comedy. Y'know, in a movie franchise rooted in Second City? And so far no lame nostalgia bits like the Stay Puft stuff in the last one. This one feels like it has some episode-of-Real-Ghostbusters potential.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Oh man I’m gonna be so bummed if that second Dune bump is real.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Eileen, starring Thomasin McKenzie (Last Night in Soho) and Anne Hathaway (Rio 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otDHCJcdN34

Fun trailer. The fillm had its premiere at Sundance in January, and it's now due to be released in December. No idea why it's taking so long to come out as the festival reviews are pretty good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Carpet posted:

Eileen, starring Thomasin McKenzie (Last Night in Soho) and Anne Hathaway (Rio 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otDHCJcdN34

Fun trailer. The fillm had its premiere at Sundance in January, and it's now due to be released in December. No idea why it's taking so long to come out as the festival reviews are pretty good.
Hyped for this cuz it's an Ottessa Moshfegh novel (big fan of all her work), pretty good one too.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Mean girls made me want to check out the trailer for Hairspray (2007), which had the same trajectory of non-musical movie -> broadway musical -> movie musical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUoG7mqCixI

That's a good trailer, imo! Doesn't shy away from being a musical, features the best (?) song in the show, lots of fun dancing, moments of the stars being charismatic. I imagine it helps that the movie it was cut from is actually good.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Its also weird how much Regina, not Cady, seems to be more the main character in the marketing so far. But I guess she's the more enduring character from the original movie.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Hmm. :thunk:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Who is this for? What core demographic is really out here clamoring for yet another ghostbusters installment? I thought the previous outing didn't do big enough numbers to justify another one. Glad to see Ernie Hudson getting a check but c'mon man.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

busting makes me feel conflicted

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It is impossible for me to look at that without thinking of the fake action movie in Tropic Thunder about the fire planet that turns cold.

E. Scorcher VI

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 9, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mat Cauthon posted:

Who is this for? What core demographic is really out here clamoring for yet another ghostbusters installment? I thought the previous outing didn't do big enough numbers to justify another one. Glad to see Ernie Hudson getting a check but c'mon man.

The 2021 sequel film made almost exactly the same amount as the 2016 reboot film which everyone apparently hated, lol. If you look at worldwide box office it actually made significantly less than the 2016 film, I guess all those overseas markets didn't buy into the nostalgia vibe

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

smug n stuff posted:

Mean girls made me want to check out the trailer for Hairspray (2007), which had the same trajectory of non-musical movie -> broadway musical -> movie musical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUoG7mqCixI

That's a good trailer, imo! Doesn't shy away from being a musical, features the best (?) song in the show, lots of fun dancing, moments of the stars being charismatic. I imagine it helps that the movie it was cut from is actually good.

It features like 4 different songs in 150 seconds.

For contrast, the Mean Girls trailer features one song and that song is Olivia Rodrigo’s latest single (which to be fair is better than anything in Mean Girls the Musical) which I’d bet money isn’t in the movie itself. Even more hilariously, it isn’t even the only movie trailer from this month with a Rodrigo song in it; the new Hunger Games got her to write a very good and very thematic number for them.

BlueBayou posted:

Its also weird how much Regina, not Cady, seems to be more the main character in the marketing so far. But I guess she's the more enduring character from the original movie.

It’s because in the original Cady is played by Lindsay Lohan circa 2006 who, regardless of your opinion on her talent, was a magnetic screen presence who could absolutely carry a movie without having it stolen by Rachel McAdams or Amanda Seyfried or any of the other ringers in the cast. It’s possible that the actress playing Cady now is more talented but she’s definitely not a star in the same way. they don’t just grow Lindsay Lohans on trees

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 9, 2023

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

kiimo posted:

huh.

Well I heard it did but maybe they are holding off, you're right that isn't out. I'm also on bereavement leave so I haven't heard anything since last week when I was told that. Fall Guy was going to move too, but looks like it is staying still. There are wild rumors swirling about things moving around so maybe I should just not say anything until it's official especially since the rumors at work turn out to be bullshit more often than the general internet it seems.

edit: like how many times I've heard the SAG strike is ending in a day or two.

Kiimo, you card! The strike is now over, does this mean the studios were throwing around big ideas like moving Dune 2 another 6 months to influence the union?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mat Cauthon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5iqWZi9pzc

Edit: I couldn’t find the right video lmao

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 9, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
thats a bad shirt

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

CelticPredator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5iqWZi9pzc

Edit: I couldn’t find the right video lmao

60,000 people watched some middle aged dude nodding his head along to a movie trailer for a sequel to a 30 year sequel made after a failed reboot of an 80s "franchise"

the internet is a weird weird place

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pop culture is peoples entire identity these days. It's really hosed up.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Which brings me to American Christmas traditions being all about Home Alone references and Mariah Carey ad nauseum and not like, I dunno, Christmas markets and glutwine like Europe.

I don't need Kevin Hart doing a Home Alone commercial before Thanksgiving personally

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Patton Oswalt is great in MST3K, great in Agents of Shield, great in Brooklyn Nine Nine, was great when was on RLM, nothing against the guy.
But imo is the death knell sign of a movie.
Same character every time.
And Bill Murray just dead panning boring everything

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Vintersorg posted:

Postmodern society has taken away meaning and said "find your own." This is a pretty new paradigm. Some people become weirdo retros who dive back into gender roles or whatever, but a lot of 'em just hitch their wagon to the Church of the Mouse or Video Gamer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am in the Church of FromSoft.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I am in the Church of FromSoft.

So you're a devil worshipper

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

kiimo posted:

So you're a devil worshipper

Proud to be one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYlF5KJ0X7Y

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Lord Lambeth posted:

I would watch this movie.

I've often thought that I would love to see a movie that purports to be future period piece about some recent event that randomly mashes together trends, styles, and references from the past 30 years, because that's all anyone from the year 2085 remembers about the turn of the millennium.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've often thought that I would love to see a movie that purports to be future period piece about some recent event that randomly mashes together trends, styles, and references from the past 30 years, because that's all anyone from the year 2085 remembers about the turn of the millennium.

have you ever seen Bunraku

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RWohylGm3c

Finally

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

I have a real soft spot for Memphis Belle and I do some WW2 sim flying occasionally so you know I am hyped for this. Looks pretty good!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

calling it: Barry Keoghan going to stand out in this like Rami Malek in The Pacific

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Looks good, but took its time to come out!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm not sure it'll be a big difference maker, but it is notable to me that a big part of what made Band of Brothers so remarkable was its adherence to "realism" (as people thought of that term in that era) which was buttressed mainly by a) the photography and b) use of practical effects/sets/equipment etc. Just as a natural consequence of this show taking place in the air, it seems much harder to re-capture that sense of being-there that BoB had, and instead it ends up looking pretty garden-variety.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
they should make an ace combat tv show. probably be better than whatever this is.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

gently caress this looks awesome. Great trailer.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWavstJydZU

They offered Mindy Khaling and Bill Hader like a hundred grand for this and Amy Proehler got $5m I'd say no too

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWavstJydZU

They offered Mindy Khaling and Bill Hader like a hundred grand for this and Amy Proehler got $5m I'd say no too

It's a cool concept for a follow up, but that is some bullshit about Kaling and Hader.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Netflix's The Last Airbender teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waJKJW_XU90

I've never seen the movie or anime or anything so I have nothing to judge it on. Looks fairly boilerplate.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jewmanji posted:

I'm not sure it'll be a big difference maker, but it is notable to me that a big part of what made Band of Brothers so remarkable was its adherence to "realism" (as people thought of that term in that era) which was buttressed mainly by a) the photography and b) use of practical effects/sets/equipment etc. Just as a natural consequence of this show taking place in the air, it seems much harder to re-capture that sense of being-there that BoB had, and instead it ends up looking pretty garden-variety.

Yeah I had the same thought. I guess the problem is you can't build 10 b17s for filming and go full Battle of Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I will watch this new Ghostbusters movie having missed the last two recent ones.

I would like to bust.