Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

it came out of nowhere in Plunder after one mention in Haunted, one in a really old Drifter cutscene, and the exotic helmet in D2 vanilla. still the dumbest and worst lore addition in the game’s history. I’m calm though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

haveblue posted:

Nezarec's Sin dropped in the original base version of D2 and was the only place the name was mentioned. He was mentioned again in one (1) lore card in Forsaken. He didn't get a third mention, or a second item, until Season of the Haunted, 2.5 years later. Then he contributed the macguffin to the following season, took a season off, and was finally revealed to be part of the Witness's scheme in Lightfall

The point is that there is a very obvious disconnect between when a writer came up with a cool intriguing name to pad out the lore and when a (probably different) writer was thumbing through the series bible for loose ends they could leverage because the Ishtar Collective faction of the audience loves that poo poo. He wasn't created in 2017 with the intention of making him a raid boss in 2023

yeah this. and I am Ishtar Collective text-scouring nerd, to be clear, but I’ve also read a book before and have some taste so I can tell when things are a bit too pat

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Like at this point it's reasonable for next season to have Rasputin shoot the Traveler, and a new Hunter named 'Dare' shows up to join the Vanguard

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

the key to this whole fuckin thing lies in the doghives

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TWAB https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/this-week-in-destiny-11-09

and there's a whole bunch of nonsense about crucible. Most of it sound stupid to me (Party and Relentless are being combined for some stupid reason) Sparrow Control sounds funny, there is entirely too many words about competitive that I can't be bothered to read.

Seasonal Ritual weapon is a void caster sword.

Strand Trace Rifle from Trials (ugh) and an Arc Wave Frame from Nightfalls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Like at this point it's reasonable for next season to have Rasputin shoot the Traveler, and a new Hunter named 'Dare' shows up to join the Vanguard

We return to the infinite forest to find a version of Rasputin and Osiris who don't gently caress up everything they try to do

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

yeah this. and I am Ishtar Collective text-scouring nerd, to be clear, but I’ve also read a book before and have some taste so I can tell when things are a bit too pat

I don't know. I don't think bringing in a name for some lore or whatever is a bad thing. Like FROM loving does it all the time in their sequels. So why does it feel worse in the context of destiny, as opposed to elsewhere?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Oxyclean posted:

TWAB https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/this-week-in-destiny-11-09

and there's a whole bunch of nonsense about crucible. Most of it sound stupid to me (Party and Relentless are being combined for some stupid reason) Sparrow Control sounds funny, there is entirely too many words about competitive that I can't be bothered to read.

Seasonal Ritual weapon is a void caster sword.

Strand Trace Rifle from Trials (ugh) and an Arc Wave Frame from Nightfalls.

Maybe they will buff caster swords in PvE so they don't suck so hard :colbert:.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Man, I sure am glad we're going back to connection based matchmaking. It's not like the last time they did that, Bungie had to put out a twid/twab saying that half of all matches were decided before a bullet was fired. I'm sure their new confidence and hidden skill system will totally work just fine to not have poo poo matches.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I would way rather have CBMM than SBMM any day of the week, in any game

Don't care if I get owned as long as it's not because the red bar superstar is shooting from a second behind everyone else

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ChaosReaper posted:

Man, I sure am glad we're going back to connection based matchmaking. It's not like the last time they did that, Bungie had to put out a twid/twab saying that half of all matches were decided before a bullet was fired. I'm sure their new confidence and hidden skill system will totally work just fine to not have poo poo matches.

When they introduced SBMM it was “loose” and then they “loosened” it even more twice, so tbh it hasn’t even felt like it’s been on for like six months now.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
The Prime Gaming bundle with the (otherwise unobtainable) tartan shader is live.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Roctavian posted:

I bet Bobby meant to put that in the Nanowrimo thread but it's way funnier here
I did, but it kind of still works.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bungie can do whatever they want with Crucible as long as they keep to their word that it'll be for the dedicated PvP degenerates and they won't force me to go into it anymore.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think it's important to remember that Lightfall as a chapter was never part of the big picture and had to be wedged in between their Year 5 and planned Year 7 story beats.

None of the TFS Dominos can get knocked down so it makes sense they just dumpster-dived their own lore to come up with some self-contained Lightfall Adventures

I prefer Witch Queen Pizza Hut.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

everything post shadowkeep lorewise seems like it's got a guy in charge just being like "you know what would be cool"

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

new hunter vanguard will never be resolved or will just be cayde again somehow

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

muike posted:

everything post shadowkeep lorewise seems like it's got a guy in charge
Hard disagree.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

muike posted:

Bring Cayde back and have him do the monorail guy from the Simpsons thing where he vaguely gestures at everyone and goes "this is the person who is clearly best fit to lead the Hunters" and some random goes "me?" and he's like "yeah, sure" and then you're done.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

muike posted:

Hunters are too busy telling every other hunter to do it to notice that it hasn't mattered at all that they don't have one

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
We don't need an official King of the Crackheads.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Follow through with the lore bit about not needing an official Vanguard anymore.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
I still don’t believe Rasputin ever meant to shoot the Traveler.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
This was probably already talked about, but when I first saw TFS teaser poster I automatically assumed that our player character was on the cover, showing off a new armor set. Then it hit me that I thought that because I play as a hunter. Who knows, maybe whoever that new character is will be the new vanguard leader.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Everybody should be asking "What does Crow think about this?"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

RBX posted:

Everybody should be asking "What does Crow think about this?"

"In my saddened heart I grow weary of the rumours of running the Vanguard. No, I would only lead it to the same death my belov-" Okay dude nevermind, jesus.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Let a Titan run it for them, what could happen

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

syntaxfunction posted:

"In my saddened heart I grow weary of the rumours of running the Vanguard. No, I would only lead it to the same death my belov-" Okay dude nevermind, jesus.

Anyway, here's Wonderwall

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RBX posted:

Everybody should be asking "What does Tom Servo think about this?"

It just occurred to me - is Conditional Finality the only double barreled shotgun in Destiny? The Wastelander should be too but I guess that's too close to the original.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 10, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Fourth Horseman has four barrels but yeah, every legendary shotgun just has the one

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Caught up with five weeks of story and Jesus, that's a lot of filler they added to this season's story missions.

On average, it felt like one actual mission per five or six filler steps.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FlapYoJacks posted:

Caught up with five weeks of story and Jesus, that's a lot of filler they added to this season's story missions.

On average, it felt like one actual mission per five or six filler steps.

I'm a Titan I needed weeks of rest after each of those games of cunning in the imbaru engine

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm a Titan I needed weeks of rest after each of those games of cunning in the imbaru engine

I just had to laugh when my cowboy hat wearin' himbo titan was the guy to solve the reveal at the end of this season. The vanguard's finest warlocks got nothin' on this linebacker rear end dipshit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Avarokk you rear end in a top hat give me an artifice buttcape I have so many lovely helmets

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

RBA Starblade posted:

Avarokk you rear end in a top hat give me an artifice buttcape I have so many lovely helmets

Farm the ogre instead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Farm the ogre instead.

gently caress me lmao thought he dropped everything

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

RBA Starblade posted:

gently caress me lmao thought he dropped everything

He does, but the ogre only drops class items, boots and some weapon I can't remember so you have better odds.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PERMACAV 50 posted:

He does, but the ogre only drops class items, boots and some weapon I can't remember so you have better odds.

Ahhh I didn't know that, thanks for the tip

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

ugh this is so sad 😔

https://twitter.com/dirtyeffinhippy/status/1723096475981467742?s=46&t=Lil8vLMPVkfPh80ODFeUGg

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man I know social media is a cesspit but why would you even bully a person for upper management loving em over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone