Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

SpiritualDeath has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Nov 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sir Lemming posted:

I only recently learned that "Hella Good" was co-written by The Neptunes and it just makes so much sense. Instrumentally it would've been right at home on a N*E*R*D album.

Yeah exactly. I forget about that every once in a while but then I hear that bassline that's a synth playing octaves over the electric bass and it's extremely clear.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory was the first album I ever bought (in grade 5ish). I listened to that poo poo so many times on my discman at the back of the class being moody, as intended.

It was also one of the very few albums I ever bought, since in middle school mp3 players came out and piracy was rampant so we all just Kazaa'd or eMule'd our music.

I remember the first one I had had like 128MB of storage and a tiny screen. I'd put a few songs on there and swap them regularly. I recall people were into sharing them on the school bus, each person putting one earphone in.

Eventually I got an iRiver which had like 8GB which I would use up to like 2019 while running or on planes because it was super light and the battery lasted forever.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Hell yeah iRiver gang. I was hoping that's where your post was going. I had an H320 in highschool, with the breakout LCD screen remote. Pretty sure you can still find these and mod them with solid state memory easily, I've thought about it but it'd be an almost entirely frivolous purpose, although it would be totally rad if you could FAT format them and connect them to a CDJ as a USB drive to play off of.

Can't remember what headphones I rocked in the '00s but it was probably these:

Raver's dream cans at the time.

Hybrid Theory came out way earlier than I thought. I could have sworn it was when I was in 11th grade but it was three years earlier. I remember being a bit of a hater back then; even though most of my friends didn't listen to the same music we all united to make fun of certain popular acts we'd see on MuchMusic. What started as a secret guilty pleasure became real fandom when the summer camp I worked at got a karaoke system for the going-away dances every week, and among all of the standard karaoke fare were some contemporary songs including In The End. Still know all the words. Linkin Park were always the poo poo.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Weird coincidence: I found this "collectible marionette" in an "antique mall" when I was hunting for some old bench planes, happens to be the "guy that looks like this":

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I mean that's basically one of like 8 types of 2000s guy

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Weird coincidence: I found this "collectible marionette" in an "antique mall" when I was hunting for some old bench planes, happens to be the "guy that looks like this":

40 bucks? Geez, I should’ve kept the Joey Fatone one that my sister bought me as a joke gift. Poor puppet Joey, where are you now?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Joey Fatone star of ROBOT CHICKEN?

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I still find it hilarious that the fat one is actually named "fatone"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I just always felt that Backstreet Boys were clearly the superior boy band, but everyone seemed to love N*Sync and Justin's weird yellow hair

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Fatone will always be my favorite boy band member of that era. Well, him or Sisqó.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BSB was a musical band. N’Sync were musical artists.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Korn was my favorite boy band. Probably belongs in the ‘90s thread though because I gave up on them after their fourth album, which came out in ‘99

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Christmas '01 my father got me a Korn CD and it was then I saw the gorge that had come between us. To him I was a stranger living in his basement.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Go watch the N'Sync episode of Hot Ones if you haven't yet, it's fantastic fun.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Grassy Knowles posted:

Fatone will always be my favorite boy band member of that era. Well, him or Sisqó.

Another weird coincidence from this thread. I hadn't thought of that name in so long and then on Monday the Thong Song was stuck in my head for the entire work day.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go watch the N'Sync episode of Hot Ones if you haven't yet, it's fantastic fun.

poo poo, I saw this pop up in my feed but my wife wasn't around and I knew she'd want to see it. Then I promptly forgot about it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

root beer posted:

Korn was my favorite boy band. Probably belongs in the ‘90s thread though because I gave up on them after their fourth album, which came out in ‘99

Munkey was The Cute One

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

credburn posted:

I just always felt that Backstreet Boys were clearly the superior boy band, but everyone seemed to love N*Sync and Justin's weird yellow hair

My conspiracy theory is that Blackstreet was suppressed by the music industry to help push the Backstreet Boys, just in case audiences got confused.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Animal-Mother posted:

My conspiracy theory is that Blackstreet was suppressed by the music industry to help push the Backstreet Boys, just in case audiences got confused.

wait

wait

it just occurred to me Blackstreet is not Backstreet Boys

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

credburn posted:

That's not how you spell XL5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kio2_hnABl0

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wasn't Take That the successful one anyway?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Todd In The Shadows did an amazingly informative, insightful Nickelback takedown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lliq6xJq1oc

I associate them with the 2000's even though I guess this album was later. Usually he does "Trainwreckords" about artists that either ruined their reputation or spectacularly failed to revive interest with a specific album; this is a bit of an outlier as Nickelback was a joke long before this, but it looks like a hilarious failure nonetheless. Moreover, I feel like Todd really zeroes in on exactly what makes Nickelback bad in the first place -- i.e. they're not completely irredeemable, and "bland" isn't necessarily the right word either, but they are simultaneously too sleazy and not sleazy enough. Their sappy poppy stuff feels sketchy and their harder-edged stuff feels fake.

Moreover, I genuinely had no idea they ever attempted to do a song that sounded like Maroon 5 or a song featuring Flo Rida.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

credburn posted:

wait

wait

it just occurred to me Blackstreet is not Backstreet Boys

No diggity.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SekM6yD26Qc

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
When I was a kid I always thought going to e3 would have been loving awesome but now it just sounds miserable.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

metachronos posted:

When I was a kid I always thought going to e3 would have been loving awesome but now it just sounds miserable.

Now it doesnt even exist

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

OK, some diggity.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Found it

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

My work thinkbook still has that. Apparently they tried to get rid of that and there was a rebelion from users.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

The clicktoris

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
didn't NSync only have like 2-3 CDs? I remember BSB having what seemed like more.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As_TwsKPDO4

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

didn't NSync only have like 2-3 CDs? I remember BSB having what seemed like more.

4!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCYj9IcSL2c

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Circa 2001:

PinkFloydcomfortablynumb ULTRA RARE LIVE VERSION WITH SYD BARRET AND LARS FROM METTALICCA.MP3.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

wesleywillis posted:

Circa 2001:

PinkFloydcomfortablynumb ULTRA RARE LIVE VERSION WITH SYD BARRET AND LARS FROM METTALICCA.MP3.

FatboySlim_VS_Prodigy_VS_ChemicalBrothers_VS_CrystalMethod_._Magic_Carpet_Ride_(remix).mp3

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Todd In The Shadows did an amazingly informative, insightful Nickelback takedown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lliq6xJq1oc

I associate them with the 2000's even though I guess this album was later. Usually he does "Trainwreckords" about artists that either ruined their reputation or spectacularly failed to revive interest with a specific album; this is a bit of an outlier as Nickelback was a joke long before this, but it looks like a hilarious failure nonetheless. Moreover, I feel like Todd really zeroes in on exactly what makes Nickelback bad in the first place -- i.e. they're not completely irredeemable, and "bland" isn't necessarily the right word either, but they are simultaneously too sleazy and not sleazy enough. Their sappy poppy stuff feels sketchy and their harder-edged stuff feels fake.

Moreover, I genuinely had no idea they ever attempted to do a song that sounded like Maroon 5 or a song featuring Flo Rida.

lol great video. im amazed at this album, i also never heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Circa 2001:

Weird_Al_Yankovich_Fuck_You_OsamaPARODYSONG.mp3