Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Khanstant posted:

Haha waiting for a good horse + forgetting I had a stable is why I didn't mount a horse until last month. I still am not in the habit of it but it's definitely gonna become one.

Make sure you buy and use the mount whistle. After that you can ditch it in a box somewhere and you can call your horse with Tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh wow I got the whistle a patch or so go but didn't realize I didn't need to mainline it in my hot bar.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You don't *need* to buy a good horse. You can max out a grey horses stats too and its much cheaper to buy. You also get a unique mount in act 3 for free, but it helps having one in act 2 cause that's when you really need to start running beyond the town boundaries.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm the guy who ran all over the desert fighting kangaroo jacks, penguin dogs, and gathering weird resources on foot. I made a spare Yakmel Station part of my everyday carry lol

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I'm the guy who ran all over the desert fighting kangaroo jacks, penguin dogs, and gathering weird resources on foot. I made a spare Yakmel Station part of my everyday carry lol

You can leave the station back in a chest and deploy it from there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I am now wondering how much of what I carry needs to be carried at all lol. Do I even need my weapons in my inventory??

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any item that unlocks an option on your tab quickwheel can be sold/gotten rid off. Planting kits, camera, house editing kit etc.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I bet Yakmel milk tastes like rear end but nobody wants to deal with Cooper going on a ten paragraph diatribe defending it so they pretend it's actually good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Panfilo posted:

I bet Yakmel milk tastes like rear end but nobody wants to deal with Cooper going on a ten paragraph diatribe defending it so they pretend it's actually good.

Grace has some every morning but given her culinary skills, maybe she just has messed-up tastebuds

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I am now wondering how much of what I carry needs to be carried at all lol. Do I even need my weapons in my inventory??

Hotbar items, gifts, ammunition/bait.

On an unrelated note, I am always amused by the inspection process on Sat/Sun. So many of the models are, well, frankly quite dirty and scrapped together from scrap. So it's hilarious when the inspection is like "Oh, this smudge? Yeah, not part of the design, gotta flag it. But this massive rust patch? That's fine. It's part of the design. Gotta make sure you've got that rusty, dirty scrap for this project!"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's funny how the game demands you stock hundreds of bronze, and then steel opens up and you think okay, clearly that's going to be the new staple metal, but no it's still just bronze all the way down, back to the starting salvage ruin with you builder!

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

It's funny how the game demands you stock hundreds of bronze, and then steel opens up and you think okay, clearly that's going to be the new staple metal, but no it's still just bronze all the way down, back to the starting salvage ruin with you builder!

I’m only just getting into chromium tools, you’re telling me that one of my furnaces is forever going to be smelting bronze bars? :negative:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
On the bright side, you can set up commissions and a deal with construction hat man to take care of most of your ongoing bronze needs. I've only made a few supplemental trips which I also used to get hella discs and more artifacts.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

My archenemy is clay

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

My archenemy is clay

I’m usually short on this as well because of the bloodstone core/wheel commissions. Thankfully you can usually get enough by making a side trip to the first ruin, though I wish the salvage contracts delivered some clay as well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Okay, I'm starting to see the appeal of this kind of game. Hours just disappeared in the blink of an eye last night.

I think that whatever update there was from a couple days ago improved the game's performance. Previously I was getting around 80-90fps, but now I seem to usually get 116 (which is basically 120 but with the NVidia latency boost thingy) and it rarely falls below 100.

I have no idea what to do in terms of giving people gifts, though. There are so many different items, and I know that I've probably only seen a small minority of them. Are there any items that make good "generic" gifts?

One other question - is there a good way to see the effects of the "meal of the day" in the restaurant? At this point I only care about stamina, so I don't want to get the meal if it's just giving me HP.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

chami posted:

I’m only just getting into chromium tools, you’re telling me that one of my furnaces is forever going to be smelting bronze bars? :negative:

Remember you can buy bars from Hugo if you're short on bronze and you only need a couple; it can be a lot more convenient than spending a day mining

On the other hand, spending a day mining means plenty more data discs, so I never mind doing it personally; still, the option's there

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Between mining in the abandoned ruins and whacking that scrapped bus you get plenty of bronze.

Honestly I'm kind of glad some resources don't just become obsolete like In a lot of games like this. And I like how the recycler guarantees every garbage mineral is useful one way or another.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Daztek posted:

My archenemy is clay

Go stop by the pottery store regularly. She sells clay and bloodstone.

Similarly, for folks with mineral issues, you can buy minerals from the salvagers, and you can buy bars from the weaponsmith.

Money is pretty easy come easy go, so it's worth it to spend the time doing more productive tasks and then just spend the money.

Also, I finally figured out sandfishing. The trick is pretty simple:

1. Scatter bait at points far away from each other (if the arena is a circle, put them at the edges of a roughly equilateral triangle relatively far apart). I like to use 3 bait at once, but you can use more. The trick here is that bait causes fish to spawn, so by throwing more bait, you get more fish to spawn. You want the baits far from each other because catching fish scares nearby fish. This way other fish can approach the other bait while you are catching fish at one of the points.
2. Wait for more than one fish to jump onto a piece of bait, then catch them all at once. The highlighted circle is where you can catch fish. Fish that are green will be able to be caught.
3. Upgrade your tools! A rarer fish basket has a larger radius!

Actually, for that last point, upgrade everything with the refiner. Your machines get bonuses like extra production or increased speed (or reduced fuel/water costs, but meh). Equipment becomes far stronger (I don't bother upgrading armor, just weapons and tools that I will use frequently).

Edit: Also, there's an ore refiner that lets you break down excess minerals into gems. It's very useful to get more bloodstone and the like from stone.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Ore refiner is awesome to finally escape the bloodstone drought that happens when suddenly everyone wants saws and cores. 9x stone breaks down to a quartz and probably a bloodstone, then 9x quartz yields all sorts of gems for upgrading (got my iron tools to purple today and that felt good).

In other news, huge problem with mounts. You can fit 16(17?) letters in when naming them but it only actually saves 8, so my camel is just SmokinJoe instead of his full name, Smokin' Joe Rudeboy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I was just thinking "How are people short on clay, I can't use the stuff fast enough" but then I realized what I think the issue is:

When you're in the mine, don't just mine at the ore nodes; you'll never get enough poo poo to do anything with. Mine some ordinary-looking ground while you're at it, it'll give you all the stone and clay and dinas you could ever ask for plus a bunch of other poo poo too (including plenty more ores). Also, whenever you're mining, make sure to scan for relics and go mine those relic pieces out of the ground; besides being a good source of workshop rep (and thus helpful to beat Yan) if you donate them to the museum, you can toss them in your house or your yard for stat bonuses, as well as rep bonuses if one of the villagers comes by to check out your new poo poo.

It's very helpful to workflow in general - not just for mining and smelting - to take a couple of days every week to skip the commissions and gather resources. Spend a day mining, spend the next day gathering wood (BTW, at the game start you might be having a hard time gathering wood because you can't chop trees - but you can chop the Ball Cacti and Yakthorn, both of which will get you wood. Basically the only things you can't chop are the things you can kick instead) and quarrying Gravel and Hard Rocks and such. Then you can have the resources to fill commissions without having to break up your day piecemeal.

'Course then you get a new problem, namely "I need more storage chests" but whatever, you can buy more inventory slots anyways

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Worth building 2 or 3 recyclers while you're at it to get a whole process going -
Stone to quartz
Quartz to opal or whatever
Opal to the next tier I forget.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Also, not sure who I'm going to marry on this playthrough. Owen is my top choice because he has one of the best voices in the game. But lately Venti and Unsuur have been macking on me, it's like they're trying to make up being boring background characters by giving me extra attention lol. I think Mi-An and Elsie are a better fit (plus Elsie seriously feels like you're dating a fourteen year old with the way she acts :barf:.

I was surprised that Miguel is romanceable, but then he had that quest where he's like "some people are flowers that need to be nurtured to grow, others are like weeds that need to be ripped out without mercy" :stare: which gives me some real genocidal vibes, the dude is the quintessential Calmhitler. jpg

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

take a couple of days every week to skip the commissions

Heresy! Nothing shall slow the inevitable progress of the factory! All of the commissions, all of the time! More funds for more resources for more things to get more funds for more resources for...

That being said, I do occasionally not do requests when they would run me short on a critical resource. Right now my bottleneck is simple circuits due to too many switchboard requests, so I'm holding off on those until I build my stockpile back up. One of the nice things about farming once you're able to is the ability to take the food-based jobs on page 2. They help to lighten the load on the industrial resources while still maintaining that delicious income and progress.

Edit: As for machinery, I keep 6 recyclers and 3 forges pretty much running flat-out. The recyclers do a really good job of lightening the load of the forges - you can get a lot of forgeable stuff from scrap that is quite helpful. I do have 3 of the other processing machines as well, but I run them less frequently and generally tend to just make sure that I have a stock built up so that I can instantly fulfill commissions and then restock as necessary.

I did build up to that over time though - I started off with 2-3 recyclers, then slowly ramped that up as I got access to more salvage. Once I started paying for salvage to be delivered daily, I had to ramp up further, and I'm actually tempted to go up to 8 or 9 recyclers at this point to start chewing through the backlog.

Edit 2: I really like Venti as a pairing for the builder. Mi-An has her own company. Venti comes from a poor background where she didn't have the opportunity to study to become a builder. She works as a salvager, enjoys helping people, and has a line about how salvagers and builders tend to fall for one another because their work is closely related. In my opinion it's a fantastic thing where her interests dovetail with the builder's nicely, as she happily supports your company's operations, gets to learn more about building, and gets to contribute directly to helping people out in the way that she wants to.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 9, 2023

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i'm sorry i am pretty sure i am legally required to marry nia

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
The only material I have ever struggled with is clay, I set aside points to just go try to mine it, but it's much less a problem after I started passing up poo poo like cores for commissions

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Mad Wack posted:

i'm sorry i am pretty sure i am legally required to marry nia

Mia is taken, she's the only one that can rein in Elsie from doing dumb poo poo for attention.

I assume Fang is challenge mode since he doesn't even accept gifts.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Oh, yes, once you hit a two-star workshop rating and get the Requests Board section opened up, I recommend planting a Coffee Tea Tree ASAP. Neither Coffee Beans nor Tea Leaves can actually be used currently, sadly... but they're very common request board items, so just harvesting and dumping the crops into your storage every couple of days will soon enough have you swimming in them - and, thus, closing a lot of commissions.

Also god dammit I need some of y'all to hurry up and get further in the game so you can pick up on some of the little hints that have been dropped about why some people act the way they do, lol; I'm trying not to spoil anything

EDIT:

Panfilo posted:

Mia is taken, she's the only one that can rein in Elsie from doing dumb poo poo for attention.

it would be a mistake to assume that every villager is gonna always be the same version of themselves you meet in the early game; some of them do in fact get character arcs with real growth. Also, Fang starts accepting gifts after a side quest; this side quest pops up as part of a chain of quests that begin after you've tried Fang's medical trials eight or more times.

Point is, some of the characters that are most annoying early get un-annoying later (and some don't, and some good ones get annoying, lol)

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 9, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Between mining in the abandoned ruins and whacking that scrapped bus you get plenty of bronze.

Honestly I'm kind of glad some resources don't just become obsolete like In a lot of games like this. And I like how the recycler guarantees every garbage mineral is useful one way or another.

Goddamn the recycler. Not because it's bad but because I'm a space cadet. I swear every time I play after after not having played in a bit, I go and burn all of one resource in the recycler without thinking about it and of course soon after need that resource in abundance.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Mi-an ironically is someone who never gets a character arc sadly and I'm kinda upset about that. Nia more than makes up for it though. In general anyone interested in the ladies needs to wait till act 3 for marriage unless it's Mi-an or Venti.

Also to get the terminology sorted:

Recycler: turns scrap into materials
Refiner: Increases items quality, probably the most important tool for your own character stats and damage
Ore Refinery: Turns ore into dregs and rare gems/other materials. Very useful for getting a lot of these for mass refining gear.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Whoops yeah I got the terms confused. Ore refinery is the one I was thinking, rocks to gems, all day every day.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what exactly does luck do?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

take a couple of days every week to skip the commissions
This is violence.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what exactly does luck do?
It gives you slightly better RNG for anything that uses RNG. So damage/crit numbers in combat, drops from mining/logging/scavanging/enemy kills, rarity of items and buildings you craft, etc. It also seems to influence how often you unearth loot rats in salvage ruins.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
does it affect all of those seemingly useless percentage based knowledge skills?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Panfilo posted:

do the medicine tests on wednesday/friday for +3 rep and a new potion recipe if you pick the good one

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I just started and I just wanted to know if anything is missable in the game by going slowly or not doing all the commissions - don't want the game to feel like completing chores.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the medicine test is very important because that's how you unlock the various mount upgrade drugs.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the medicine test is very important because that's how you unlock the various mount upgrade drugs.

Well, poo poo. Time to add that to the pile of things to actually do!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
You can add a repeating weekly custom reminder to your calendar on Wednesday and Fridays so that you don't forget.

Another pro tip is that when you have a mount, collecting dew from your dew collectors is instant when mounted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sloober posted:

Another pro tip is that when you have a mount, collecting dew from your dew collectors is instant when mounted

:aaaaa: