Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

moths posted:

Presenting At-Lass, the 100 ton mech designed especially for teen girls.

It's an rear end-ault 'Mech. Only experienced pilots have a chance of getting in.

If you're face-to-face with one, the armor is too thicc and you'll need to go for the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cat Face Joe posted:

big missed opportunity to make the chest guns the nips

Someone paint one like the Fembots from Austin Powers please

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I only enjoy boobs that kill me through poor decision and not direct violence

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

one hundred percent imagining this being said by the 3025 version of korner kelly

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The veins are very nice. Just gotta paint in layers. Usually a mist coat of the skin color to lay down a base, then veins, then micro-splatters of red/green/blue paints to add sub-surface detailing, then a top coat of transparent skin color to unify all the colors, then a litter more spattering of red/yellow colors for more prominent skin blemishes.

I used a similar technique on my Mohawk statue a few years back, in regards to the veining on the ears. Hadn't learned about the color spattering for sub surface details yet at the time, which was a shame, would've really made the skin pop.

Do you have links to articles/theory for the sub surface detailing techniques, veins, and blemishes? I'm likely never going to paint in that style since I like very exaggerated anime saturation but it might be interesting to try on a mini or two.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I did it recently with a Cacodemon model. I'm not a great painter but

I forgot how scrotal these look, but it's pretty easy to do, you just do up your fleshy area in a flesh tone, your veins in blue and then water the gently caress out of the flesh tone and layer it over a few times. I probably could have done with a few more layers here to make it more subtle but I was afraid it would end up too subtle..

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chill la Chill posted:

Do you have links to articles/theory for the sub surface detailing techniques, veins, and blemishes? I'm likely never going to paint in that style since I like very exaggerated anime saturation but it might be interesting to try on a mini or two.
Here's a few things I've posted before, but which will show you some techniques give you ideas.

Check out the work of Rafael Robledo Jr. Just about every video he does where skin is involved, he uses the aforementioned technique of spatters of primary colors covered by transparent shades of skin color. I picked out a Batman repaint he did below, but check his vids on youtube, lots of great examples there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FxA0-EgIkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6lm9cUL8g0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8_1F9W9qYE

Sideshow Toys has quick vids on the their Youtube channel showing some of their artists making the paint masters for their statues. Lots of cool tips and techniques on display there. This one below as an example is painting a Penguin face, and using shadowing, speckling, and blending techniques to bring the face to life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_JsKUb_kho

And if you want to see some real pros at work, check out The Stan Winston School of Character Arts. Sign up for a free 7-day trial of their Pro Package, and there are loads of tutorial vids where industry pros and alums of Stan Winston Effects show you how to actually do the movie magic stuff. From animatronics to latex creatures to painting, they cover a bit of everything. Tons of painting videos where they show how to paint in layers with different effects to give depth to flat surfaces. Really fun site, and their vids are the best of the best.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Not even parody at this point

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lor, but I do dislike the Space Marine grav-tanks.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

The Cawl Raider?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Battletech gets weird in the 32nd century.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

More like overcompensator, am I right?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

smug jeebus posted:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Games Workshop has never built a good tank kit in 40 years.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

smug jeebus posted:

I really don't understand why they gave primaris heavy stubbers

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
*ahem* Those are Ironhail heavy stubbers, heretic, get it right

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Games Workshop has never built a good tank kit in 40 years.

:hmmwrong:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That's not even the good stank

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

agreed but the bigger stank chassis allowed for cool things like this:

and this:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
X post from the Dune thread

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Sandworm figurines from a Dune boardgame:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

Not necessarily an artistic tip (the other goon's already posted a load of good videos) but it's helpful to understand that your skin is essentially translucent. How white/brown/black you are is controlled by how much pigment is put into the skin cells as they mature. The whiter you are the more translucent your skin is which lets the underlying fat/muscle/blood in the capillaries show through.

There are pretty much only 2 pigments produced by the melanocytes in the skin - orange and brown. Hence you get gingers and blondes on one end of the spectrum and transition across to brown and black as you get predominantly more brown pigment. Black/brown skin is markedly less translucent compared to white - hence the old "blue blood' expression of royalty being so painfully white that you could see the blue of their veins through their skin.

If you've seen a corpse without makeup or someone who is deeply anaemic a lot of the pink undertone in the skin is missing which gives it a characteristic pallor (again less obvious with black/brown skin which is why medics are taught to inspect the inside of your eyelids where there isnt any pigment). You see only blue veins because deoxygenated blood in them is dark red filtered through the skin to give it a bluish cast. The pink undertone you get is from the blood in the capillary network supplying the skin. You don't see the bright red arterial blood as arteries are a lot thicker and correspondingly more opaque.

And this is biology of the skin 101.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

:nws: https://old.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/17u3ht4/neurolictor/

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lictor? Hardly knew her!

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
neurothicctor

edit: gently caress it's in the reddit comments already

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Why is the 40k subreddit nsfw?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Because it's full of the worst people.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Warhammer 40K - if you can put tits in it, I'm putting tits on it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Grey Hunter posted:

Warhammer 40K - if you can put tits in it, I'm putting tits on it.

Bob the 40k builder - Yes we cans

E:
Bob the 40k builder
Can he tits it?
Bob the 40k builder
Yes he cans

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 13, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

If you like it then you shoulda put some tits on it~

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Mini adjacenct, but warfare (one of the biggest uk shows) was last weekend, a mate was there playing a different system, but apparently there was some shade being thrown at the 40k guys on Facebook.

(Though the person could use better grammer)

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

That's on the organisers being unable to spray paint their own (Wargames Tournaments?) MDF terrain? :shrug:

I'd guess it would take sealing, covering in spackle, spray painting, and dry brushing to get it to a minimal standard?

Sucks to be the X-Wing players who didn't show up to use that galactic-themed gaming map, though. Luckily there was a surfeit of 40k players to make sure it was used.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
What's important is that someone who doesn't play 40k got to once again tell someone who does that they're actually not having fun

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

LashLightning posted:

I'd guess it would take sealing, covering in spackle, spray painting, and dry brushing to get it to a minimal standard?

I wonder if the tournament had a "three colours minimum" rule because I'd be pissed if that was the case only to find all the terrain was unpainted MDF. At least hit it with grey and black spraypaint, jesus

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Grey Hunter posted:

Mini adjacenct, but warfare (one of the biggest uk shows) was last weekend, a mate was there playing a different system, but apparently there was some shade being thrown at the 40k guys on Facebook.

(Though the person could use better grammer)

Sure it's just the 40k wargamers that smell, keep telling yourself that.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

smug jeebus posted:

What's important is that someone who doesn't play 40k got to once again tell someone who does that they're actually not having fun
I wish someone had pointed out to me that I wasn't having fun playing 40K years earlier. I would have quit and moved on to better games much sooner.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Wrong thread

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyyn92xuivS/?igshid=bmJzNmw2MmdkNTIy

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I like it. But I also paid someone to make a STL of an ork weirdboy riding a unicycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Sure it's just the 40k wargamers that smell, keep telling yourself that.

I know for a fact it got so hot at the 150 man kings of war tournament that they set the fire alarms off.
Suddenly the "broken" air conditioning was working again.

Also, I was more commenting on the terrain. A black spray and a dry brush grey would not have taken much time.