Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Surprised it hasn't been reported in the tech news with great hyperbole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The biggest black mark against the OnePlus Open experience is the aggressive defaulting to 60hz on apps.

Feedly, Awful, Google Chat. They all default to 60hz. What the hell is the point of having a 120hz display if half the crap I use is capped at 60 for no apparent reason?

You can force to 120hz all the time, but there goes any LTPO battery savings when you do.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 8, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah the 60hz cap in so many apps is one of the main contributors as to why I can't bring myself to daily my OP11 over my Pixel. The OP SOC should be markedly faster than the G2 but it sure doesn't feel like it with the lame framerates.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it's stuff like that which really frustrates me about OnePlus. This has to be a small fix. Every other manufacturer has figured it out. Same with all the crap prompts about "application using battery". Even when I tell it to explicitly NOT to optimize, it still keeps asking. No means no, stop it.

Micheal Fisher has mentioned this before on handsets that have OSes with Chinese roots. They go all aggressive on battery saving stuff and end up killing the experience. Cut all this crap out and just let us use the handset. The whole point of LTPO is dynamic refresh rate, let apps use the max.

It's also not consistent. The OnePlus Open at least has Youtube app at 120hz. Meanwhile, the OnePlus Tab ramps Youtube down to 60hz, but leaves Awful and Google Chat, and Feedly at 120hz. But then Chrome is allowed to run at 144hz. Why!?!?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pixel 8 pulling down update now. Phone crashed again today, hopefully this stops that happening.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nothing yet on my Canadian 8 Pro :(

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

nothing yet on my Canadian 8 Pro :(

Any stability problems on yours dude? I've never had a phone crash daily like this. If the update doesn't resolve it, I'll factory reset and if it's continuous I'll have to return it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

McKracken posted:

I have a 7 Pro and it was immediately apparent how sluggish and inaccurate the GPS location was compared to the 5 I upgraded from.

Oh good, so it's not just me.. I really wish android didn't make it so difficult to use a standalone GPS

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

devicenull posted:

Oh good, so it's not just me.. I really wish android didn't make it so difficult to use a standalone GPS

Sometimes I have no issues, and other times in navigation with either my bike or car it'll either have me on the next block/road over or be about 500 ft delayed on turn by turn.

I've had android going back to the Galaxy Nexus and this is my third Pixel, never had a single GPS issue before.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

McKracken posted:

Sometimes I have no issues, and other times in navigation with either my bike or car it'll either have me on the next block/road over or be about 500 ft delayed on turn by turn.

I've had android going back to the Galaxy Nexus and this is my third Pixel, never had a single GPS issue before.

Yea, that matches what I see. Some drives it'll be fine, sometimes it'll randomly think I'm the next street over. My wife has the same problem as well.

I've screwed around with a bunch of power saving settings as well as "force full gnss measurements" in developer tools. Nothing has really made a meaningful improvement.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

crime in nyc is going way up.

what is my best option for a kind of 'decoy' phone that i could hand over to a mugger and not care about losing.

i'd want it to be less than $50 but also functional as a basic phone for at least twitter and google maps and such so i could bring and use it during trips to poorer countries where it might also be more likely to be lost or stolen.

the pic is of a new $40 phone but will it... actually work okay?

should i just look for a several generations old and maybe moderately damaged iphone? can something like that be had for $50?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It'll work just don't expect it to work for long, have much battery life or feel good to use in any way. Also that's locked to a provider.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Also even the NYPD admits crime in NYC has been trending downward for months, maybe don't waste your money and just relax a bit instead.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

disaster pastor posted:

Also even the NYPD admits crime in NYC has been trending downward for months, maybe don't waste your money and just relax a bit instead.

i knew someone was going to jump in to tell me that the changes both i and all of my friends/family/coworkers have noticed in my neighborhood and my city aren't actually happening.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Avian Pneumonia posted:

i knew someone was going to jump in to tell me that the changes both i and all of my friends/family/coworkers have noticed in my neighborhood and my city aren't actually happening.

You asked for the best option for a decoy phone to buy to hand over to a hypothetical mugger. The best option is to not buy one, because the evidence suggests that mugger is going to stay hypothetical.

If you want the second-best option, nobody here is likely to be able to help you with that, because then you're doing math about the expected chance of a mugging, the expected loss from that mugging, and the amount you're willing to spend to offset that loss, and it's unlikely anyone is going to have the same numbers in mind that you do for those.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

it seems that the phone I posted may be adequate for my needs? But if there are any alternatives I'm welcome to hearing them.

Going to look around at beat up old iphones also though my experience is that they get pretty tough to do even simple things on once you get a few generations out.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

disaster pastor posted:

Ah yes, quite the reliable source. Might as well be some toddlers covering their ears saying they can't hear you.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Avian Pneumonia posted:

what is my best option for a kind of 'decoy' phone that i could hand over to a mugger and not care about losing.

i'd want it to be less than $50 but also functional as a basic phone for at least twitter and google maps and such so i could bring and use it during trips to poorer countries where it might also be more likely to be lost or stolen.

should i just look for a several generations old and maybe moderately damaged iphone? can something like that be had for $50?

https://www.lively.com/phones/jitterbug-flip2/

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Avian Pneumonia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFtW419VwtY

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Lmao

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

get one of those old Samsungs that would explode randomly, so you can teach those muggers a lesson

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I feel like this poster has already figured out what to do in case of an attempted mugging.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Blurb3947 posted:

Ah yes, quite the reliable source. Might as well be some toddlers covering their ears saying they can't hear you.

Police departments typically lie in the other direction to get more funding.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Avian Pneumonia posted:

You got mugged? i'm sorry that sucks :/

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

i'm really just interested in knowing what is the most functional phone (new or used) that i can get for $50 or less.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Look for an iPod Touch :v:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You could get an otterbox and a selfie stick and use your phone as a mace

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

i'm really just interested in knowing what is the most functional phone (new or used) that i can get for $50 or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGiIDyCtyqg

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Aware posted:

It'll work just don't expect it to work for long, have much battery life or feel good to use in any way. Also that's locked to a provider.

Patiently explaining to my mugger that no, this is unlikely to get security updates for the next three years

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
With encrypted phones, and locked boot loaders, what does one do with a stolen phone? Sell for parts?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i grew up in new york city, have since moved away but still have lots of friends there and visit 1/2x a year.

i got mugged for my phone once back in like 2011 and i'm the only one out of my friend circle it's ever happened to.

my friends and i would all hang out in bushwick and bedstuy or the lower east side and stuff. kinda gentrified but also kinda grimey.

you shouldn't worry about carrying around a decoy phone, just keep your eyes open and don't walk on secluded dimly lit blocks, which is what happened to me.

if anything, if i mugged you for a phone and you handed me some decoy poo poo and i wasn't rushing away immediately to not get caught, i would probably notice it was a decoy and get more pissed.

stay safe out there and take it from someone with high anxiety and depression: chill

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

deong posted:

With encrypted phones, and locked boot loaders, what does one do with a stolen phone? Sell for parts?

not to mention multiple Find My Phone apps and GPS. Stealing a phone is loving stupid and I imagine only dumbass teenagers ever attempt it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's criminals who want $50 phones for burners, if that's still a thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any stability problems on yours dude? I've never had a phone crash daily like this. If the update doesn't resolve it, I'll factory reset and if it's continuous I'll have to return it.

Oh yes, had a number of crashes/freezing :( This update looks to address a lot of things? It's hit my phone now and is installing right now.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

= ?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Grip it and rip it posted:

not to mention multiple Find My Phone apps and GPS. Stealing a phone is loving stupid and I imagine only dumbass teenagers ever attempt it.

Someone in the iphone thread just got their brand new 15 pro stolen and a week later it was pinging Find My from China. So yeah, they get stolen and sold for parts back to stripping operations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh yes, had a number of crashes/freezing :( This update looks to address a lot of things? It's hit my phone now and is installing right now.

Huh, my 8 Pro hasn't hitched at all. Only reason why I rebooted it once after I got it about 12 days ago is I shut it down to prevent it from connecting to Android Auto Wireless while I was troubleshooting something.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Huh, my 8 Pro hasn't hitched at all. Only reason why I rebooted it once after I got it about 12 days ago is I shut it down to prevent it from connecting to Android Auto Wireless while I was troubleshooting something.

Well, I've had a lot of issues! It's very annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can you be more specific? My wife's pro8 has had weird ongoing issues with killing the running process. It'd basically drop back to the lock screen over and over, but it only did it intermittently. And it never killed background processes.

I only found one example of the behavior on Reddit and the suggestions were update and factory reset. I asked here and didn't get anything either.

We've done the force reset, but she says it is still misbehaving but less. Same since applying the Nov update.

Now it's at ubreakiffix to see if they see it, else it's a warranty replacement. Best we can figure it might be something in the digitizer since it seems tied to swipe and continuous touch input. But that's a best guess. Blue pro 8 256 if anyone cares.