Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Does anyone know - if I start a new Paizo sub for PF2 rulebooks, it gives me the option of selecting where to start, with Rage of Elements and the 2 new core rulebooks as options. If I choose RoE, does that mean I’ll get all 3 shipped to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I don't think you will. I started with the Player Core a few days ago and they shipped it to me and sent me the pdf but it says the next book that's supposed to be shipped is the new monster manual, not the new GM book.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The organization of the PDFs on Paizo's website makes no sense.

Paizo Inc Hardcovers: APG, DA, GNG, SOM
Paizo Inc Rulebooks: CRB, Bestiary
Paizo Inc Second Edition Rulebooks: Bestiary 2, GMG

But also there are two Paizo Inc Rulebook sections, but one is for Pathfinder and one is for Starfinder.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Web design and game design are completely different disciplines and Paizo is proof.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

marshmallow creep posted:

Web design and game design are completely different disciplines and Paizo is proof.

I loved creating an account and then trying to figure out why i couldn't log in (it turns out I could only login from the home page, any other page had the API send 500 errors)

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Arrrthritis posted:

I loved creating an account and then trying to figure out why i couldn't log in (it turns out I could only login from the home page, any other page had the API send 500 errors)

Wait until it's stops letting you log in through a single browser on a single computer for no reason even after clearing cache and cookies.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
I’ve literally given up on doing anything on their website except for sales and major book releases because I shouldn’t have to clear my cache to give you money or do anything else with an account on your website in the year 2023.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The obvious answer is to just subscribe to everything and then you never have to worry about it.

Also, they will do everything via email to their customer support, it's wild. It feels like someone digitized the SEARS catalog in 1996 and it still going. but with an email instead of a phone number and mail in order form.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Ravus Ursus posted:

The obvious answer is to just subscribe to everything and then you never have to worry about it.

And don't forget to smash that muthafuckin' like button!

Actual content: what do y'all think are the most interesting parts of the setting? Can be places, groups, or something else. Ideally stuff that breaks from typical D&D/Forgotten Realms-esque material.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
it's wild that a country founded this century is so bad at websites.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Dick Burglar posted:

And don't forget to smash that muthafuckin' like button!

Actual content: what do y'all think are the most interesting parts of the setting? Can be places, groups, or something else. Ideally stuff that breaks from typical D&D/Forgotten Realms-esque material.

I really like the mwangi expanse and the mbeke dwarves especially

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The most interesting part of the Mbeke dwarves is that they aren't ethnically homogenous...
Because kobolds can be mbeke too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

bewilderment posted:

The most interesting part of the Mbeke dwarves is that they aren't ethnically homogenous...
Because kobolds can be mbeke too.

I'd like to know more.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

marshmallow creep posted:

I'd like to know more.

The Mbe'ke dwarves venerate dragons, live underground, have a strong work ethic, a love for crafting, and a militaristic streak. They realized over the course of several centuries and multiple wars that the Kobolds of the Terwa Uplands had basically the same attitudes. Now there are Kobolds with Clan Daggers, kings, and votes in the Mbe'ke government.

Not that the Mbe'ke get along with every reptilian-ish people. They have yet to establish any kind of peace with the Iruxi (lizardfolk) of the area.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Neat!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Kvantum posted:

The Mbe'ke dwarves venerate dragons, live underground, have a strong work ethic, a love for crafting, and a militaristic streak. They realized over the course of several centuries and multiple wars that the Kobolds of the Terwa Uplands had basically the same attitudes. Now there are Kobolds with Clan Daggers, kings, and votes in the Mbe'ke government.

Not that the Mbe'ke get along with every reptilian-ish people. They have yet to establish any kind of peace with the Iruxi (lizardfolk) of the area.

it's also important to point out that 'venerate dragons' extends to cloud dragons are incorporated into their society, settlements all generally want to host dragons and will brag and compete with each other about how cool their cloud dragons are

dragons in mbe'ke society fulfill the mark twain suggestion of 'instead of having kings, have cats, they have all the virtues and none of the vices'

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Honestly, I just like that the Mbe'ke dwarves shave their beards because the Alaru Highlands are full of miserable bugs and no one wants to deal with that.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah I was phonepostin so I was curt but a big part of why I like the Mbe'ke is they just kinda poo poo all over the well worn rut of dwarves in high fantasy settings almost every way they can. :toot:

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Honestly, I just like that the Mbe'ke dwarves shave their beards because the Alaru Highlands are full of miserable bugs and no one wants to deal with that.

And then there's the Taralu culture who dye their beards multicolored and even fluorescent.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah I was phonepostin so I was curt but a big part of why I like the Mbe'ke is they just kinda poo poo all over the well worn rut of dwarves in high fantasy settings almost every way they can. :toot:

from the descriptions here they sound like Humans, But Short and a lot less fun and cool than the normal high fantasy dwarves who do in fact rule

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

sugar free jazz posted:

from the descriptions here they sound like Humans, But Short and a lot less fun and cool than the normal high fantasy dwarves who do in fact rule

They still have all the ancient holds carved into mountains and devotion to honest work and convoluted legal systems* you'd want from dwarves. They just have dragon friends and clean faces.

*It's a convoluted democracy instead of the usual convoluted monarchy, but the last king really sucked so they overthrew him and gently caress it, every elected official is a king now. It still works.

In conclusion, the Mwangi Expanse book is really fun.

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004
Speaking of their terrible website. My rule book order sub still says pending. Is it because I’m in Australia or have I done something wrong?

I want books :(

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

clean faces? democracy? all I need is me beard, me axe, me mountain, me ale, me gold. maybe me helmet if it’s a fancy day.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm thinking about picking up a spare Silver or Cold Iron weapon for my Pathfinder Society character as he's getting to level 4. Since we tend to pick from 4+ seasons of backlogged scenarios, it's hard to predict if or when my character might come across a werewolf, fey, demon, or so on, and I sort of imagine my character as a 'be prepared" type. Any suggestions on which of the two (silver or cold iron) is more likely to come up? Or a place to see what's weak to each?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Can anyone that uses Foundry recommend a decent module with premade random encounter maps? I'm running Kingmaker and it'd be great to have more options than came with the KM module. I can make my own maps but also I'm lazy.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a spare Silver or Cold Iron weapon for my Pathfinder Society character as he's getting to level 4. Since we tend to pick from 4+ seasons of backlogged scenarios, it's hard to predict if or when my character might come across a werewolf, fey, demon, or so on, and I sort of imagine my character as a 'be prepared" type. Any suggestions on which of the two (silver or cold iron) is more likely to come up? Or a place to see what's weak to each?

Silver and cold iron

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I would just like to say that this monster is complete and utter horseshit, and the idea that two of them represents a moderate encounter is the height of laughable.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Monsters.aspx?ID=251

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Cold Iron every time unless you specifically have information that you're gonna be dealing with lycanthropes.

It doesn't change the advice, but fwiw, this query misses moinsters who resist damage except for Silver/Cold Iron, but which don't have a weakness.

For a low level example, Imps have Resist all 3, except silver. But aren't weak to silver. At a glance, and given I don't know that I have exactly the right query language for this on AoN, I think Silver is slightly better than cold iron in this respect, and I guess, adds Devils to the list alongside lycanthropes as "if you have specific knowledge that this is what you're facing, Silver wins", but I think, net net, cold iron is still far and away the choice if you don't know any better and are just guessing.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 10, 2023

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Chevy Slyme posted:

It doesn't change the advice, but fwiw, this query misses moinsters who resist damage except for Silver/Cold Iron, but which don't have a weakness.

I was going to say that, but I wasn't sure if that actually applied to any monsters. Thanks for the clarification!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I did 50 damage to a jerkass ghost with an AoO tonight so I'm a ghost touch rune convert

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Chevy Slyme posted:

I would just like to say that this monster is complete and utter horseshit, and the idea that two of them represents a moderate encounter is the height of laughable.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Monsters.aspx?ID=251

Its one of my picks for top 5 overturned PF2e monsters and the fact it regularly shows up in Adventure Paths is a real peculiarity.

If you know the gimmick, it can be a very tough fight.

If you don’t, ugh. A common problem is that if party HP is not kept at full, it targets a softie, crits them and takes them to Dying 2. The cleric then tries to Heal them, it “Nothing Personal Kid”s the cleric, disrupts the spell and on its next turn it downs the cleric. At which point the fight is rapidly spinning out of control.

It doesn’t really have a weakness to target as well, all you can do it try and tempt out its reaction with something less important and then drop your heal.

1 is tough, 2 is bullshit.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

HidaO-Win posted:

It’s one of my picks for top 5 overturned PF2e monsters and the fact it regularly shows up in Adventure Paths is a real peculiarity.

What are the other 4?

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Zkoto posted:

Speaking of their terrible website. My rule book order sub still says pending. Is it because I’m in Australia or have I done something wrong?

I want books :(

When I put in my sub last week it said pending for a day or two until they shipped the first book. They sent me a pdf at the same time I got a tracking number from them. I think Paizo might just be a day or two behind right now.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Silversheen exists for 6gp , so if you wanted to cover both cases you could get a cold iron weapon and apply silversheen if you need silver I think (although I assume that would overwrite the cold iron property temporarily).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

boxen posted:

Silversheen exists for 6gp , so if you wanted to cover both cases you could get a cold iron weapon and apply silversheen if you need silver I think (although I assume that would overwrite the cold iron property temporarily).

Cold Iron Blanch exists in the other direction for 8 GP, so six of one

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Silver2195 posted:

What are the other 4?

gently caress the Awful app for crashing and losing posts.

5) Ostovite: 1d12 piercing and 1d4 persistent bleed on a level 1 monster.
4) Leopard: Crazy action economy, party of 5 level 3 nearly wiped to 3 of these guys when they all crit on the first round. In 3 actions they get a Stride, 3 Strikes and a Grab.
3) Clay Golem: Cursed Wound is an artifically high counteract check and is just a heartbreaker when you try and heal. Awful encounter at level 8.
2) Barbazu: You regularly fight these at level 3 and its easy to lose characters. Infernal Wound is a bleed that is way harder to remove and can stop healing. It's full attack is awful too, Glaive at +15, Claw at +11 and Beard at +15. Oh yeah it has reach and Attack of Opportunity. Prepare to get got.
1) Lesser Death.

HidaO-Win fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 10, 2023

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Clay golems own and that they are complete bullshit is classic and I wouldn’t have it any other way

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

sugar free jazz posted:

Clay golems own and that they are complete bullshit is classic and I wouldn’t have it any other way

I have literally walked away from the last room in a dungeon rather than fight a tomb guarding clay golem at level 8. Literally not worth it, that magic item can just stay there. Which is precisely their function, so it all works out.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So uh, running a Game for the first time, never even played as a player before. I'm running Beginner Box first fortunately but is there something I should be aware of before starting in a couple of weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014
I think the key to getting players to understand PF2 is letting them know when an attack connected because of a flank or an attack bonus from an ally. Teamwork is the name of the game, and by pointing out when it helps you reinforce that AND makes the player that provided the benefit feel seen and rewarded.