Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
FH5 doesn't have VR

PCars2 is prob the best bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
AMS2 has pcars2 tier VR support and an un-hosed tire model. Also you can actually buy it without getting some eBay code.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

AMS2 has pcars2 tier VR support and an un-hosed tire model. Also you can actually buy it without getting some eBay code.

Thats right i think it also has preconfigured wheel binds already for certain fanatec wheels. The default vr menu controls are bone chilling tho, think theres some menu in there to turn it off.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Most games seem to have a pretty straightforward control wizard now, at least as far as I've seen. Turn wheel left, right, hit gas and brake, shift etc and you're good to go. I think easy to setup VR is always gonna be harder to get working and working well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you have a relatively common wheel most games will just know what to do with it. Like any Logitech wheel should just auto-configure at this point.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Here's how to make WRC look like a normal game.
Do not do this if you run the game in HDR as it already looks good there.

Open %localappdata%\WRC\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

In there we want to edit 2 files, Engine.ini and Scalability.ini
Open Engine.ini and go to the bottom and paste this:

quote:

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.DefaultFeature.Bloom=0
r.BloomQuality=0
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.Color.Mid=0.35
r.TonemapperGamma=2.5

Save the file. Windows 11 just had an update that changes the behavior of notepad so you need to manually save it, File->Save

Next open the file Scalability.ini and go to the end and paste this:

quote:

[ViewDistanceQuality@2]
r.ViewDistanceScale.FieldOfViewAffectsHLOD=0
foliage.LODDistanceScale=1.0
foliage.MinimumScreenSize=.0007
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=1.0
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=1.0

[ViewDistanceQuality@3]
r.ViewDistanceScale.FieldOfViewAffectsHLOD=1
foliage.LODDistanceScale=1.0
foliage.MinimumScreenSize=.0005
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=1.0
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=1.0

[ShadowQuality@1]
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=512
r.Shadow.MinResolution=512
grass.DisableDynamicShadows=1
r.DFShadowQuality=0
r.HFShadowQuality=0

[ShadowQuality@2]
r.ShadowQuality=3
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=2
r.Shadow.MinResolution=256
grass.DisableDynamicShadows=0
r.DFShadowQuality=1
r.HFShadowQuality=1

[ShadowQuality@3]
r.ShadowQuality=4
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=3
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=1024
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.04
r.DFShadowQuality=2
r.HFShadowQuality=1

[ShadowQuality@4]
r.ShadowQuality=5
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=3
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=1024
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.03
r.DFShadowQuality=2
r.HFShadowQuality=2

[PostProcessQuality@0]
r.TonemapperGamma=0
r.AmbientOcclusion.Method=0

[PostProcessQuality@1]
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.BloomQuality=0
r.SSR.Quality=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.0
r.AmbientOcclusion.Method=1
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=1
r.GTAO.Combined=0
r.GTAO.Downsample=1
r.GTAO.FalloffEnd=500
r.GTAO.FalloffStartRatio=0
r.GTAO.FilterWidth=5
r.GTAO.Numangles=2
r.GTAO.SpatialFilter=0
r.GTAO.TemporalFilter=1
r.GTAO.ThicknessBlend=.5
r.GTAO.Upsample=1
r.GTAO.UseNormals=1
r.Fog=0
r.VolumetricFog=0
r.FilmGrain=0
r.RefractionQuality=0
r.ReflectionEnvironment=0
r.EyeAdaptation.MethodOverride=2
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=1
r.FastBlurThreshold=20
r.TonemapperGamma=1.3
r.Tonemapper.Quality=1
r.ToneMapperFilm=0
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=0
r.MotionBlur.TargetFPS=60
r.MotionBlur.Amount=.001
r.MotionBlur.Max=.0005

[PostProcessQuality@2]
r.BloomQuality=0
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.SSR.Quality=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.0
r.GTAO.Combined=1
r.GTAO.Downsample=1
r.GTAO.FalloffEnd=500
r.GTAO.FilterWidth=5
r.GTAO.Numangles=2
r.GTAO.SpatialFilter=0
r.GTAO.TemporalFilter=1
r.GTAO.ThicknessBlend=0.5
r.GTAO.Upsample=1
r.GTAO.UseNormals=1
r.Fog=1
r.VolumetricFog=1
r.FilmGrain=0
r.RefractionQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptation.MethodOverride=1
r.FastBlurThreshold=50
r.TonemapperGamma=1.3
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3
r.ToneMapperFilm=1
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=0
r.MotionBlur.Amount=.0004
r.MotionBlur.Max=.0004

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.Bloom.Cross=-1
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SSR.Quality=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.0
r.GTAO.Combined=1
r.GTAO.Downsample=1
r.GTAO.FalloffEnd=1500
r.GTAO.FilterWidth=5
r.GTAO.Numangles=4
r.GTAO.SpatialFilter=0
r.GTAO.TemporalFilter=1
r.GTAO.ThicknessBlend=.7
r.GTAO.Upsample=1
r.GTAO.UseNormals=1
r.Fog=1
r.VolumetricFog=1
r.FilmGrain=0
r.RefractionQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=50
r.TonemapperGamma=1.3
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3
r.ToneMapperFilm=1
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1
r.MotionBlur.Max=.0004

[PostProcessQuality@4]
r.Bloom.Cross=-1
r.BloomQuality=6
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=3
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SSR.Quality=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=2
r.GTAO.Combined=1
r.GTAO.Downsample=0
r.GTAO.FalloffEnd=2000
r.GTAO.FilterWidth=5
r.GTAO.Numangles=8
r.GTAO.SpatialFilter=0
r.GTAO.TemporalFilter=1
r.GTAO.ThicknessBlend=.9
r.GTAO.Upsample=1
r.GTAO.UseNormals=1
r.Fog=1
r.VolumetricFog=1
r.FilmGrain=0
r.RefractionQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=2
r.FastBlurThreshold=50
r.TonemapperGamma=1.3
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3
r.ToneMapperFilm=1
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1
r.MotionBlur.Max=.0004

[TextureQuality@3]
r.Streaming.PoolSize=0
r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=1

[EffectsQuality@1]
r.SSGI.Enable=0
r.SSGI.HalfRes=0
r.SSGI.Quality=0
r.SSR=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.0
r.ReflectionEnvironmentBeginMixingRoughness=1.0
r.ReflectionCaptureUpdateEveryFrame=0
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1

[EffectsQuality@2]
r.SSGI.Enable=1
r.SSGI.HalfRes=1
r.SSR=0
r.SSR.Quality=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.0
r.RefractionQuality=0
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1

[EffectsQuality@3]
r.SSGI.Enable=1
r.SSGI.HalfRes=1
r.SSGI.Quality=4
r.SSR=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.0
r.RefractionQuality=0
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1

[FoliageQuality@1]
foliage.LODDistanceScale=0.8
foliage.MinimumScreenSize=.0008
grass.DisableDynamicShadows=1

[FoliageQuality@2]
foliage.LODDistanceScale=1.00
foliage.MinimumScreenSize=.0005

[FoliageQuality@3]
foliage.LODDistanceScale=1.05
foliage.MinimumScreenSize=.0004

[ShadingQuality@2]
r.SSGI.Enable=0
r.SSGI.HalfRes=0
r.SSGI.Quality=0
r.SSR=0
r.SSR.Quality=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.0
r.RefractionQuality=0
r.MaterialQualityLevel=0

[ShadingQuality@3]
r.SSGI.Enable=1
r.SSGI.HalfRes=1
r.SSGI.Quality=2
r.SSR=0
r.SSR.Quality=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.0
r.RefractionQuality=0
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1

[ShadingQuality@4]
r.SSGI.Enable=1
r.SSGI.HalfRes=1
r.SSGI.Quality=4
r.SSR=0
r.SSR.Quality=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.0
r.RefractionQuality=0
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1
Again, save the file File->Save

Now run the game and experience how it is supposed to look without the blown out saturation.
Do not do this if you run the game in HDR as it already looks good there.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Thanks all! I own PCars2 and AMS2, so I'll see how those play with realism settings toned down. I also have Grid Motorsport from some random bundle, which should be a good sim-lite option with more "game" structure, albeit without VR.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I haven't tried beamng.drive in VR yet but it's supported now. You can have a lot of fun with the damage simulator if racing sim isn't exciting enough.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Does it run at more than 15fps?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I have the JWRC World Record right now in Greece Lilea dry Time Trial. Not sure if this link will work (I'm pretty sure you need to be logged in at the very least): https://racenet.com/ea_sports_wrc/p...VehicleClass=20

Someone who's better than me go beat me so I can see where to be faster, not counting the ~5 seconds of mistakes I made. I think if I got a perfect run, plus not having those mistakes where I bonked a wall or whatever, I could get another 2-3 seconds on top of the 5. I'm guessing the top players (with a decent tune as opposed to the halfass one I did) would get closer to 7:15 rather than my ~7:30.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

ssb posted:

Someone who's better than me go beat me so I can see where to be faster, not counting the ~5 seconds of mistakes I made. I think if I got a perfect run, plus not having those mistakes where I bonked a wall or whatever, I could get another 2-3 seconds on top of the 5. I'm guessing the top players (with a decent tune as opposed to the halfass one I did) would get closer to 7:15 rather than my ~7:30.

Based on the Bearpope league, you're asking the wrong folk. :laugh:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
looks like fanatec wants to clear tf out of old stock for black friday

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I jumped on that DD2 base deal. The CSL DD is alright and all but 8nm feels a bit anaemic, somewhere around 12-15nm would be better and given how utterly dogshit Fanatec's logistics are for outside EU customers I reckon I can flog it on eBay lickety split.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
yeah 8nm is badass when you first use it but its also the peak the unit produces, so it'll drop back down to 6nm iirc under constant use. thank god fanatec finally left the stone age with the goddamn DD1/2 rubber gasket. qr2 is so much better lol

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
8Nm is just not enough torque. I mean effects feel fine but there's nothing left over for doing the endstops, which DD bases rely purely on brute force to accomplish. When I 'upgraded' from CSW2.5 to CSL DD I started crashing a lot in rally in VR because I was continually losing physical track of the wheel as I'd blow past the stops during upset recoveries and hard countersteers

Alpha Mini while only 10nm on paper is <13 on a torquewrench and that's juuust enough to pull it off. Anything weaker doesn't work for me at least.

160 for Fana shifter/usb is a steal

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thoatse posted:

8Nm is just not enough torque. I mean effects feel fine but there's nothing left over for doing the endstops, which DD bases rely purely on brute force to accomplish. When I 'upgraded' from CSW2.5 to CSL DD I started crashing a lot in rally in VR because I was continually losing physical track of the wheel as I'd blow past the stops during upset recoveries and hard countersteers

Alpha Mini while only 10nm on paper is <13 on a torquewrench and that's juuust enough to pull it off. Anything weaker doesn't work for me at least.

I had no issues identifying the bumpstops even on my older csl elite, it felt like physical stops and the effect is even more on the csl DD I now have. I can only speak to iracing but I wonder if the software itself is changing something about the torque limits of the fake bumpstops.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

I had no issues identifying the bumpstops even on my older csl elite, it felt like physical stops and the effect is even more on the csl DD I now have. I can only speak to iracing but I wonder if the software itself is changing something about the torque limits of the fake bumpstops.

This. My Moza R9 is like hitting a wall at the end of end of the software limited range of rotation--I'd probably need to start cranking on it like a stuck valve with both hands to keep turning it which is obviously not happening while racing. There's literally 0% chance I could miss it, let alone go past it more than a centimeter, even thrashing away after a mistake in EA Sports WRC.

Amusingly enough, when I got my R9 and looked at reviews of it vs CSL DD (w/ upgrade cable), many reviewers actually said both were better than the older generation direct drive wheels--many of which had more power than relevant to most and had much less fine motor control for worse FFB fidelity, were noisy with active cooling vs passive, and were generally needlessly bulky for many rigs. Or put another way: the reviews circa early-mid 2022 said the CSL DD (8 Nm) was overall just better than the old DD1/2's and recommended it over them even if money was no object. Guess I can't speak from experience, but have been extremely satisfied with my Moza R9 and have felt no need whatsoever for more power--whips around in a way that feels pretty natural to me relative to a real (road) car w/ power steering.

Thoatse posted:

Oooo. *suddenly has a temptation to be resisted to not :retrogames: to no longer be paddling for rally*

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

signed up

phosdex fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 21, 2023

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
This person organizes a lot of the goon races, use their link: https://www.iracing.com/membership/?refid=22938

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 21, 2023

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

I have also recently signed up for iRacing. Haven’t done any real racing yet but even just messing around in AI races is pretty fun and feels about 1000x better than forza. Excited to jump into the online after the holiday

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The discord has a very active iracing group that does lots of the special events, has a very casual private league, and generally chats a lot about sim racing and getting better. It might be in the iracing thread OP if it's not in this thread somewhere, I'd recommend joining.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's here: https://discord.gg/kYAf7w6v

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

The discord has a very active iracing group that does lots of the special events, has a very casual private league, and generally chats a lot about sim racing and getting better. It might be in the iracing thread OP if it's not in this thread somewhere, I'd recommend joining.

Didn’t realize there was an iRacing specific thread. Thanks

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Forget black friday deals. Are you ready to buy a 400 dollar sequential shifter son?

https://x.com/heusinkveldeng/status/1726966617538449848?s=46&t=gjrgjVEpjVUWIxjzHn7LIQ

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
It's so much more than sequential shifting, though!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
im lolling at fanatec putting the Qr2 base side down to 30 dollars after 1 month. I know its to move wheel side units, but that shits funny.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I bought one with no plans to get a wheel side any time soon just cuz of the discount. I figure someday I'll make the jump to the new system, might as well save 50$.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still remain on the fence about wanting to get EA Sports WRC, but then realized there is a 5 hour trial I can play on Series X. So will give that a try tonight.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I bought the AMS2 dlc and I'm very glad I did. Good single player times.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I still remain on the fence about wanting to get EA Sports WRC, but then realized there is a 5 hour trial I can play on Series X. So will give that a try tonight.

Career mode feels really awkward and poorly thought out to me, but championship mode is straight forward and more my jam and what I have always expected from a rally sim.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Career mode feels really awkward and poorly thought out to me, but championship mode is straight forward and more my jam and what I have always expected from a rally sim.

KT Racing's career design was definitely better if less mass market accessible, but I feel like it's alright in EA Sports WRC. Would like to see them revamp it to have more team management complexity, more event diversity, and a drat calendar instead of only a forever horizontal scroll--and proper tire allocations adding some strategy to how you use them and allowing cross mixing compounds like they do IRL + choosing what your spare(s) are so you can bring fresh softs or whatever to toss on for the power stage.

Also making rallies take 2 weeks might be realistic, but is pretty dumb from a game PoV--only in WRC2, but seems like WRC will be 13 events + 2 weeks each = 26 out of, what, 48 weeks it runs? Seems like that'll leave very little time for team building compared to JWRC/WRC2 unless you skip some rallies; although there's also less need to team build when you have minimal time to do non-WRC events.

Also also: the ~benefactor~ method they use to handle financing is kind of interesting to let you tactically go over budget, but it's also irksome illogical nonsense that you're paying weekly the entire price of the vehicles in perpetuity instead of a one-time purchase + repairs. Feels like essentially they sat down and were like "our players are too dumb to do some very basic money management that even F1 My Team players can figure out."

At the very least, we can take solace that it's infinitely better than Dirt Rally (2)'s career modes where every new car you started down on power/up on weight and had to unlock upgrades to not be disadvantaged vs. AI and you had no control over event length or difficulty and that was set solely by your performance the previous run through the championship--man that was garbage tier.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Trying to get out of rookies in iRacing and am having trouble figuring out how the incidents are applied.

2 questions: Is your rating only raised if you have 0 incidents? And if so, how does one get out of rookies where people are learning and there are lots of unavoidable collisions?

Second question: Sometimes I notice something like I hit a wall and it says 0x, what makes something a 0x vs a 1x?

I was told to get out of rookies, just focus entirely on avoiding incidents and don't worry at all about your position, is that good advice?

This is all road oval

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Your safety racing an average of corners per incident point, so you can get points but you need a low average to make number go up.

Usually a 0x is light contact with a car or wall, 1x is off track, 2x is loss of control (spin), and a 4x is a solid contact with someone.

Imo rookies are for learning race craft and driving around other people, not getting fast. So don't go farm sr by driving around at the back solo, but after races review when you got incident points and ask what you could have done to avoid it, even if it's.not your fault. Sure someone came down on you and cut you off, but could you have predicted it and opened up space to save your race? It's a bummer to do but you'll finish better staying clean and letting agro people through and they'll usually kill themselves anyways.

This is all based on my experience road racing but I think it applies to ovals.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The biggest learning point in rookies is that a lot more "unavoidable collisions" are avoidable than you think.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I got out of Rookie by concentrating on not fighting for position when I already know I'm upwards of 2 seconds slower than a good half the field. Just driving clean. And remember this is a no-fault system, so someone ramming you will give you 4pts anyway.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks everyone, lots of great advice!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

follow up: does it take some time for your SR to be updated? I had 2 races with no incidents but my SR is the same.

Also, the "Most wrecks arent as unavoidable as you think" is such great advice. I stared racing with the mentality of "Priority is not crashing, then race when the opportunity presents itself", and I'm having significantly less incidents.

What's helped me a lot is to watch the cars in front of me. Say I'm following a car that's ahead but I can't catch them, i try to watch to see stuff like "Ooh they slide a little bit on turn 3, so be sure to give a little extra space on turn 3"

I'm sure in the future that'll become "Oh try to overtake or create an advantage in turn 3", but by now I am focusing on safety.

I feel fairly confident in the trucks but man those street stocks at Oxford get me. Feel's like I'm in a drift competition!

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Kvlt! posted:

follow up: does it take some time for your SR to be updated? I had 2 races with no incidents but my SR is the same.

Also, the "Most wrecks arent as unavoidable as you think" is such great advice. I stared racing with the mentality of "Priority is not crashing, then race when the opportunity presents itself", and I'm having significantly less incidents.

What's helped me a lot is to watch the cars in front of me. Say I'm following a car that's ahead but I can't catch them, i try to watch to see stuff like "Ooh they slide a little bit on turn 3, so be sure to give a little extra space on turn 3"

I'm sure in the future that'll become "Oh try to overtake or create an advantage in turn 3", but by now I am focusing on safety.

I feel fairly confident in the trucks but man those street stocks at Oxford get me. Feel's like I'm in a drift competition!

I'm super new, but my SR has been updated almost instantly for each race I've done. You can go to Results & Stats - Results and then check each race and see your incidents and how it effected your SR. My last race I ended up getting 9 incidents and still gained .08 SR, so you definitely don't have to be super clean. I've found expecting carnage on the first few corners of lap 1 and driving super conservatively as soon as I've seen someone go off has really helped for me.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
You mentioned running trucks, so I assume those 2 races will have been Pickup Cup? The legacy car series are unofficial and have no impact on SR/iR.

e: seems like the Carb Cup and Dallara Dash have started using the current top line cars since I last looked at them, but same deal: unofficial series = no rating changes. The quick way to tell if a series is unofficial is it will have a '-' in the MPR column on the series list instead of an arrow or = mark.

Vando fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vando posted:

You mentioned running trucks, so I assume those 2 races will have been Pickup Cup? The legacy car series are unofficial and have no impact on SR/iR.

e: seems like the Carb Cup and Dallara Dash have started using the current top line cars since I last looked at them, but same deal: unofficial series = no rating changes. The quick way to tell if a series is unofficial is it will have a '-' in the MPR column on the series list instead of an arrow or = mark.

Yup, it was the pickup cup that makes sense! Thank you so much!