Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The end user doesn't know, much less give a poo poo about any of that.

And I don't usually give a poo poo about the end users that want to use it in a way I didn't write it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yes, I'm sure you are much smarter and innovative and can straight up tell the end user what they should have as opposed to what they want because they are a regular user and too stupid to "get it."

edit: to be fair, people are very dumb, and simple and easy to use UIs are very very important

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 30, 2023

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

It's not like it's a paid service, the end user is whoever decides to download their software, and a lack of UI for something you get off GitHub is completely normal. What matters is that it works, and they didn't write a UI for any number of good reasons, and it also isn't easy to design a good one in the first place.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think we are talking about different things.

I was on the enterprise level and not the git hub level. I meant more in a general sense to your average dumb American who does not even know what an ad blocker is much less an extension to your browser.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
yt-dl would have a monstrous ugly UI if you actually tried to include half the options it has. I usually use it because it can split chapterised albums into separate tracks, add correct metadata and name the files correctly all in one command. I understand the CLI can be a bit clunky for some tasks but I do this because it saves me time.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Yea, no youtube downloader is an enterprise project so that's where I was coming from. I'd assume most of them started as something useful for the writer themselves.

You are right, anything higher level should have a solid ui on top of it.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Power move for the Power user would be setting a hotkey for yt-dlp to run on the video/playlist url in the clipboard, I can't think of anything easier to use than copying and then ctrl-shift-y or whatever.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Right-click menu option.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

zhar posted:

Power move for the Power user would be setting a hotkey for yt-dlp to run on the video/playlist url in the clipboard, I can't think of anything easier to use than copying and then ctrl-shift-y or whatever.
Download Media workflow for Alfred does exactly that. I think it looks at the URL in the active browser tab without even needing to clipboard it.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Akratic Method posted:

I use the Social Fixer plugin, which has a pretty wide array of filter options for Facebook specifically.

Thank you! This has not only made Facebook better to use, but also drastically reduced the amount of time I spend catching up on actual news and so forth from friends.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Just the three strikes and your out notification. I'm using Adblock plus on Firefox and it's been working until now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

kdrudy posted:

Counterpoint, UIs can be annoying to write depending on the language you are using so deal with it.

I used Microsoft visual basic back on the day to make some cool GUIs for my copy pasted AIM progz, so I don't see why devs can't copy paste their rusty c sharp rubies or whatever into it the same way. They probably have a Microsoft visual advanced by now

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Darth Brooks posted:

Just the three strikes and your out notification. I'm using Adblock plus on Firefox and it's been working until now.

People still use AdBlock Plus? I wasn't sure it exists still. Try uninstalling it and switching to uBlock Origin to see if that gets past it. I've been fine with that.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Adblock plus sold out a long rear end time ago and started allowing "non-intrusive" ads. gently caress em.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Zero VGS posted:

People still use AdBlock Plus? I wasn't sure it exists still. Try uninstalling it and switching to uBlock Origin to see if that gets past it. I've been fine with that.

Thank you I will give it a try

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

zhar posted:

If you have a decent video player like mpv (or iina on mac) you can integrate yt-dlp and just drag the url to the player and stream as well.
This is good poo poo, thanks! :getin:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Adblock appears to have updated and now it works on Youtube again. And it also begs me for money and won't be getting any.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

emSparkly posted:

Adblock plus sold out a long rear end time ago and started allowing "non-intrusive" ads. gently caress em.

Yeah I used them for like a decade but years ago I was told (probably here) that they whitelisted a ton of ads so I dumped them immediately. I switched to uBlock and haven't gone back.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
does not being logged into your google panopitcon account have an affect?

I have still never seen the 3 strikes warning and im pretty sure I have the same youtube usage as the avg goon. (does having a youtube tab going on with something almost constantly count?)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It appears to be account and cookie based, so for the moment, I'd say yes.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

does not being logged into your google panopitcon account have an affect?

I have still never seen the 3 strikes warning and im pretty sure I have the same youtube usage as the avg goon. (does having a youtube tab going on with something almost constantly count?)

ive been wondering this too, i guess this confirms it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Youtube telling me I'm not online, I assume that's because of ublock?

zhar
May 3, 2019

an actual frog posted:

This is good poo poo, thanks! :getin:

A neat thing with this if you have slower internet but spare ram is that you can control the cache size (I think the option is demuxer-max-bytes). By setting this high enough you can buffer an entire video or in other words download it to ram, which may or may not be preferable to downloading to disk.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

now allow this on plex.

are you listening, plex?

allow buffering. putos.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Milo and POTUS posted:

Youtube telling me I'm not online, I assume that's because of ublock?

Yeah I'm getting that poo poo now too.

gently caress you youtube

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I've switched it off last week, and re-enabled it a couple days ago. So far no warning. Maybe there's some kind of internal counter that resets whenever you switch Adblock/Ublock off? Idk.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Switched to Adnaseum a few days ago and haven't had any issues so far. Feels good to gently caress up ad algrothims, too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So I've been updating uBlock twice a day to keep up with this poo poo, but Youtube seems to be winning the war.

There's a site that tells you whether the definitions currently work.

The answer was a big ol' red No ten minutes ago, but it looks like they just fixed it. Still doesn't work on Linux in Edge, sadly. (Edit: works again now.)

Looks like Youtube is just gonna' annoy us into abandoning their platform so all they're left with is people willing to watch their bullshit scam ads.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

LividLiquid posted:

So I've been updating uBlock twice a day to keep up with this poo poo, but Youtube seems to be winning the war.

There's a site that tells you whether the definitions currently work.

The answer was a big ol' red No ten minutes ago, but it looks like they just fixed it. Still doesn't work on Linux in Edge, sadly. (Edit: works again now.)

Looks like Youtube is just gonna' annoy us into abandoning their platform so all they're left with is people willing to watch their bullshit scam ads.
What's the site?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Perhaps this one

https://drhyperion451.github.io/does-uBO-bypass-yt/

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Yeah, I’ve reconciled myself to using yt-dlp to grab as many songs as I can, and then watching basically no YouTube except an occasional video of interest in an anonymous window.

Like any social media site, when it annoys you into leaving, it did you a favor.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I was down for the last 2 hours and updating uBlock/AdNauseum wasn't fixing it, and then when I saw these posts, I checked that https://drhyperion451.github.io/does-uBO-bypass-yt/ and it said "Yes" so I updated again and we're back in business.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Still using chrome and same adblock setup and haven't gotten these ads or 3 stroke threats. Dunno if it's still a/b rollout or what but always noided they'll creep through

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oldstench posted:

What's the site?
I'm so sorry. I copied it and forgot to paste it.

That's the one.

Akratic Method posted:

Yeah, I’ve reconciled myself to using yt-dlp to grab as many songs as I can, and then watching basically no YouTube except an occasional video of interest in an anonymous window.

Like any social media site, when it annoys you into leaving, it did you a favor.
I'd quit too, but all the creators are the ones who'll suffer. Youtube's unpaid laborers are bearing the brunt of a burden that should only damage one of the biggest companies on the planet.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
I have had no problems purging and updating ublock itself whenever it happens which isn't often. It always works even with the default lists. It could probably be automated per hour or whatever but I don't care that much. I got a notice saying I had one video left and pressed the purge and fetch button on ublock and I then had infinite videos left

A lot of people watch yt on their Xbox and PlayStation and poo poo and still just put up with ads because most people really just don't care about it (I do but I'm a dumbass nerd) which is fine. I don't know the metrics but I imagine consoles and android tv apps make up a lot of views, not to mention people on their phones that don't have revanced.

I haven't looked this up but I do wonder if creators still get any revenue from users with YouTube premium, idk how it all works

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'd be fine with their ads if they

A.)Didn't make me stop whatever I'm doing to come click "skip ad" or they'll play for 25 minutes or so before retuning to my content

and

B.) They weren't mostly snake oil, financial scams, and diet nazi poo poo.

But as is? That dog won't hunt.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

LividLiquid posted:

I'd be fine with their ads if they

A.)Didn't make me stop whatever I'm doing to come click "skip ad" or they'll play for 25 minutes or so before retuning to my content

and

B.) They weren't mostly snake oil, financial scams, and diet nazi poo poo.

But as is? That dog won't hunt.

yeah allowing people to insert 2 hour podcasts as autoplay ads was a real mistake

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol is that real?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BasicLich posted:

yeah allowing people to insert 2 hour podcasts as autoplay ads was a real mistake

Look as the saying goes in advertising, if someone doesn't seem to be into what your selling just annoy them for two hours straight until their brain melts and they give in.

If someone still has the will to live after you've advertised to them, you haven't done your job right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

dr_rat posted:

Look as the saying goes in advertising, if someone doesn't seem to be into what your selling just annoy them for two hours straight until their brain melts and they give in.

If someone still has the will to live after you've advertised to them, you haven't done your job right.

Ah, the secret to securing a life-long customer!