Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

Not if they are speaking a language you don’t know. There’s over 30 languages

Even if we are level 5? What kinda languages did this magician know? I’m so intrigued by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

ukrainius maximus posted:

Even if we are level 5? What kinda languages did this magician know? I’m so intrigued by this.

look at your class trainer

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
raiding vox on PQ tonight

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the gnome? that's as big as the elves next to him is freaking me out lmao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

kirbysuperstar posted:

the gnome? that's as big as the elves next to him is freaking me out lmao

theres shrink and enlarge spells

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

oh that'd do it, yeah

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Alright so PQ launched October first and it's 9 months per expansion so Kunark will launch somewhere around the start of June 2024? And they'll just run through the original patches in that time, ie restricting the current legacy item drops? Looked on the Discord but couldn't find a timeline (honestly Discord is poo poo as a resource for information but I get that it's probably way more cost and time effective than running a website with forums and a wiki)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Meatgrinder posted:

Alright so PQ launched October first and it's 9 months per expansion so Kunark will launch somewhere around the start of June 2024? And they'll just run through the original patches in that time, ie restricting the current legacy item drops? Looked on the Discord but couldn't find a timeline (honestly Discord is poo poo as a resource for information but I get that it's probably way more cost and time effective than running a website with forums and a wiki)

Under announcements in their discord there’s a subsection headed #the-timeline that gets into the nitty gritty.

But yeah you’re broadly correct.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I am completely new to Everquest. Should I play on Quarm or P99? Where are goons playing, mostly?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Cool Dad posted:

I am completely new to Everquest. Should I play on Quarm or P99? Where are goons playing, mostly?

We're all over the place. Right now, Quarm is hot and has the most players, especially at lower level ranges. Both P99 Blue and Green are top heavy; Blue is very very old and I expect a lot of players to return to it once January comes and a lot of legacy items stop dropping on Quarm. Green is younger than Blue but has also completed its expansion cycle for some time now.

Your best pick is always to find people to play with, then play where they are.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Cool Dad posted:

Try Quarm and P99 and see which you like more. It's a long term game, take a week on either server to find your home

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cool Dad posted:

Get out now while you can

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
p99 launched in october of 2009. p99 is old enough to have its own p99.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Cool Dad posted:

PQ is run by an unstable narcissist, while p99 has been around for almost a decade and a half. You decide!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

shirunei posted:

PQ is run by an unstable narcissist, while p99 has been around for almost a decade and a half. You decide!

I agree, pick Quarm

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

shirunei posted:

hasn't it also had a lot of drama of admins selling poo poo on the down low +favoritism + the raid scene being absurdly toxic? never played on it but ive heard rumors

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Mouse controls on Quarm are quite a bit jankier though, and the whole engine itself seems more unstable. But given that P99 has had over 10 years to tweak things, it makes sense.

I'd still try Quarm first, it'll just have more active players in the lower levels, so grouping options are much more open. Playing fresh on P99 will probably have higher chance of some high level giving you some old gear and some starter plat but it'll definitely feel like its twink or suffer.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Pets always spawn at max level on Quarm and I love it.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

kirbysuperstar posted:

I agree, pick Quarm

Quarm ftw

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

Bybus Slago posted:

Mouse controls on Quarm are quite a bit jankier though, and the whole engine itself seems more unstable. But given that P99 has had over 10 years to tweak things, it makes sense.

I'd still try Quarm first, it'll just have more active players in the lower levels, so grouping options are much more open. Playing fresh on P99 will probably have higher chance of some high level giving you some old gear and some starter plat but it'll definitely feel like its twink or suffer.

Quarm being based off the TAKP codebase which was pulled directly from an EQ Mac server that was forgotten in PoP forever does come with some jank, but era accurate jank! :shepface:

The latest experimental .dll they put out though does really help with camera smoothness at least.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

shirunei posted:

Very true, but P99 is run by a fairly stable group of narcissists!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

cmdrk posted:

p99 launched in october of 2009. p99 is old enough to have its own p99.

I'm excited to announce that I'm currently developing Project 2009, a faithful recreation of project 99 recreating classic Everquest

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Indecisive posted:

hasn't it also had a lot of drama of admins selling poo poo on the down low +favoritism + the raid scene being absurdly toxic? never played on it but ive heard rumors

For sure, though the worst of it is ancient history at this point.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

aparmenideanmonad posted:

For sure, though the worst of it is ancient history at this point.

There was a player enforced draft now that occurs every other month and the real toxic people decided that they didn't like that 6 weeks a year they didn't get 90% of the pixels, so they dropped out. The draft immediately became 100% GM enforced.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I dunno anything about Secrets but P99 being a cesspit of psychotic drama is pretty well documented at this point.

I am glad that Quarm seems to be adopting a more TAKP style of raiding model.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
P99 honestly is fine, leveling on quarm isn’t without toxicity either since it’s got the tlp crowd that doesn’t care about camp or train rules

On either server you’re gonna want friends so stick with one and join a guild

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

an iksar marauder posted:

P99 honestly is fine, leveling on quarm isn’t without toxicity either since it’s got the tlp crowd that doesn’t care about camp or train rules

The only rule I know is No Tag Body Bag :black101:

This is a pvp server, right?????

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

There is nothing more period appropriate than weird guild and raiding drama

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Oil! posted:

There was a player enforced draft now that occurs every other month and the real toxic people decided that they didn't like that 6 weeks a year they didn't get 90% of the pixels, so they dropped out. The draft immediately became 100% GM enforced.

player agreements have always been gm enforced once established. it was a very bizarre move by the remnants of the other duopoly guild.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010

Zodium posted:

player agreements have always been gm enforced once established. it was a very bizarre move by the remnants of the other duopoly guild.

I met this dude named gatmanno and he sucks big time

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

That Little Demon posted:

raiding vox on PQ tonight

Who are you in Tranquility? I'm joining them once my work hours stop being so weird.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Got my Selo drums off Naggy tonight, I’m set for the next 2+ years lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
its awesome how openly corrupt the lead dev of Quarm is for their friends, server only over 1 month old lol

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

If the fungi tunic is real I think the most likely explanation is some rando got it for snitching on a CSR and the PF guy decided to spend 100k or something to buy it, but any of the possible explanations are funny

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Flavahbeast posted:

If the fungi tunic is real I think the most likely explanation is some rando got it for snitching on a CSR and the PF guy decided to spend 100k or something to buy it, but any of the possible explanations are funny

I think the more likely thing is that secrets just gave her friend one

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Being super corrupt this early ftw though - and waiting 9 months until kunark..? we are gonna see some poo poo lmao

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I'd like to think she wouldnt be that stupid but we'll see, lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Flavahbeast posted:

I'd like to think she wouldnt be that stupid but we'll see, lol

you would be very, very wrong lol. She is a mega loving idiot.

-Gave 4 AoNs in week one to her old guild
- Wrote all the raid rules and bullshit to suit that guild
- Quakes went from being FTE to DPS races which all rules suspended during it, meaning if you aren't in a zerg guild theres no chance
-Gave the leader of PF a Fungi
We are only a month in, and I wouldn't be surprised entirely if she abandons this server before we see kunark. Don't get too attached to your characters

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
lol there’s no chance this server lasts a week into Kunark if this fungi tunic thing played out like it seems like it did. There’s just too much hosed up poo poo with long raid spawns and crazy queues to last that level of nepotism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah I’m not a P99 graybeard or whatever but lmao the lady running this show is an Actual Adult Child. Absolutely no way this server doesn’t ignite in a fit of pique before Velious.