Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

That story is over 3 years old it's not happening.

oh damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Half Life 3 will be announced in 10 days.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

A more frightening vision of the near future than even TEKWAR

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Valve's flat management structure is such a joke, but Gabe is a billionaire so he can't be wrong about anything, right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean they've been this way for 15 years and you basically get paid to sit around and do nothing so I wouldn't complain a whole lot if I worked there

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Soooo, Half-Life's 25th anniverary. . . Think Valve's going to pay any attention? Maybe other than the obligatory sales on HL: Source/Black Mesa, HL2 + episodes and Alyx? I mean Doom's having Romero and Carmack together for the first time in forever, surely Gabe can give his baby a proper celebration.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grimthwacker posted:

surely Gabe can give his baby a proper celebration.

Get an intern to slap together a 25th anniversary digital poster with mostly AI art. Make a short post how values so proud of it's impact. Have a long lunch.

Done!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Grimthwacker posted:

Soooo, Half-Life's 25th anniverary. . . Think Valve's going to pay any attention? Maybe other than the obligatory sales on HL: Source/Black Mesa, HL2 + episodes and Alyx? I mean Doom's having Romero and Carmack together for the first time in forever, surely Gabe can give his baby a proper celebration.

something appears to be happening, steamdb shows a new private "test" branch of HL1 being actively updated, most recently just 14 hours ago

no indication of what it might be though

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Deakul posted:

I hope I can toggle what gets changed, I don't really like the new enemy models but I love the weapon models.

The trailer made it sound like everything was fully optional and presumably customizable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

if i had made alyx, i wouldn't wanna put out a traditional "flat" FPS either, it will feel like a huge step backwards

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I went to buy Dusk and...it was already in my steam inventory. Thank you Gaben.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Quantum of Phallus posted:

if i had made alyx, i wouldn't wanna put out a traditional "flat" FPS either, it will feel like a huge step backwards

On the other hand it'd have an audience. I'm sure Alyx did a good job of its intended purpose of pushing more VR units but they're nowhere near ubiquitous and it certainly didn't change that.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Alyx didn't need to be VR but VR needed a game like Alyx. If Valve is ever gonna make another Half-Life (....or any game for that matter) I don't see why they couldn't use their infinite stock of talent and resources to make something special on a flat screen. VR isn't better than normal screen and vice versa, it's just different with its own strengths and weaknesses.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If Valve is going to be spending resources on anything I'd rather they take the 20 minutes it would take for them to solve the bot problems in TF2 over literally anything else

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, if they really felt like it I'm sure they'd be able to make something "innovative" enough with out being in VR so drastically limiting their audience.

The issue just seems to be Valve don't really want to put in the effort. Steam gets them poo poo loads of money with little effort so :shrug:

Reminds me of this sketch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMkYw4dp_NI

What engine did they use for the VR thing anyway? I cant imagine they're still updating the Halflife 2 source engine after all these years right?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

In Training posted:

I went to buy Dusk and...it was already in my steam inventory. Thank you Gaben.

Mystery game in your inventory that you don't remember? More like thank you Evan williams

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

dr_rat posted:

What engine did they use for the VR thing anyway? I cant imagine they're still updating the Halflife 2 source engine after all these years right?

Source 2 is being used for Dota and CS2 atm. Alyx is also Source 2.

Their VR The Lab was Unity, though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

spongeh posted:

Source 2 is being used for Dota and CS2 atm. Alyx is also Source 2.

Their VR The Lab was Unity, though.

ah okay. had a quick look at the screen shots of CS2 (didn't even know it came out this year). Look very clean graphics but not, you know particularly "graphically pretty" as far as modern 3d shooters go. I assume the netcode is just good on it I guess? I mean with CS2 as long as it plays fast the CS crowd will probably like it more than if they went all out on the graphics and it played like poo poo.

Don't know Dota really but I'm assuming same.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Dota2 runs extremely well on lower spec hardware, looks quite shiny and makes your PC feel like it's punching about its weight, which is totally the opposite of a lot of other PC games nowadays. Think of Warcraft3 being released 20 years ago, if you where there for that.

So it's no surprise to hear that the engine is being used for other applications.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

repiv posted:

something appears to be happening, steamdb shows a new private "test" branch of HL1 being actively updated, most recently just 14 hours ago

no indication of what it might be though

NightDive Half-Life remaster confirmed

edit: just a curated custom campaign launcher as found on their Q1 release would be amazing. Let me install Azure Sheep and They Hunger seamlessly onto the steam deck with no fuss.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 10, 2023

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Anyone else playing Beyond Sunset in early access? I don't exactly hate the RPG turn but it's not what I expected based on the demo. They should've added things like a quest tracker and fixed the map so it's actually useful if they wanted to go in this direction.

e: I guess you do show up on the automap, you just have to zoom all the way in.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 10, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

dr_rat posted:

ah okay. had a quick look at the screen shots of CS2 (didn't even know it came out this year). Look very clean graphics but not, you know particularly "graphically pretty" as far as modern 3d shooters go. I assume the netcode is just good on it I guess? I mean with CS2 as long as it plays fast the CS crowd will probably like it more than if they went all out on the graphics and it played like poo poo.

My understanding is that CS2 added a whole new level of accuracy to the shooting/hit detection, though I'm too much of a casual to explain or notice it. The smoke is pretty.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

UnknownMercenary posted:

Anyone else playing Beyond Sunset in early access? I don't exactly hate the RPG turn but it's not what I expected based on the demo. They should've added things like a quest tracker and fixed the map so it's actually useful if they wanted to go in this direction.

e: I guess you do show up on the automap, you just have to zoom all the way in.

Yeah I just started the third episode. I like it for the reasons I liked the demo: Very good movement, awesome settings and environment. Dislike it for much the reasons you said. It's like they wanted to take it a completely different direction from the demo. Which is fine, I just feel like I almost got sold a false bill of goods. To date, it's the only "completed" game I've ever played where the arsenal is smaller than the demo; as far as I can tell, the rocket launcher is completely gone and the super novel design of the SMGs (which are gone) was replaced by a totally generic "rifle" which sounds like a peashooter. Maybe it's an integral suppressor, who knows. They were even bragging about the look of the SMGs earlier this year! And yes, the map is totally loving useless.

On the bright side, I cannot stress how much I love the environments. The game just looks loving cool. Episode 2 looks fascinating

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

dr_rat posted:

For hyper competitive F2P games like CS and DOTA it's all about getting them to run on the lowest spec rigs possible so that as many people can play. Plus I guess they want them to be very "readable" so they skimp on the post-processing bells and whistles. I would like to see what Source 2 can really do, tho.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Deakul posted:

I hope I can toggle what gets changed, I don't really like the new enemy models but I love the weapon models.
It's just a workshop mod, I'm sure someone will break it apart and distribute the separate pieces if need be.

dr_rat posted:

CS2's big technical enhancements are level design tools that aren't utter poo poo (seriously, look up Level Design Twitter and you won't have to go far to find mappers making a gleeful pants-mess over Alyx and CS2's new Hammer) and Q3A-esque sub-tick netcode which is... a bit of a work in progress, honestly, but there's patches weekly, sometimes daily, so that's where a lot of the coder-sweat's going at the moment.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

edit: just a curated custom campaign launcher as found on their Q1 release would be amazing. Let me install Azure Sheep and They Hunger seamlessly onto the steam deck with no fuss.
You can find some old HL1 and 2 mods on the Steam store. CAGED is a pretty popular one. I'm not sure what it takes to get them up there though, but figuring out where the holy gently caress Neil Manke vanished off to is probably the hard bit.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

NightDive Half-Life remaster confirmed

don't you play with my emotions like that :(

it would kick so much rear end

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mordja posted:

For hyper competitive F2P games like CS and DOTA it's all about getting them to run on the lowest spec rigs possible so that as many people can play.
They should of obviously gone with one of the faster doom sources ports!! 700 fps easy on ever low specs rigs!!! ...er don't ask about the net code. (although I think some of the source ports have some what decent, or at least not terrible net code these days).

But yeah that all makes sense, and sounds good that they're actually working on the engine to make it work with how people are playing the games on it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

5.5 hours of gameplay for 9 bucks on the Beyond Sunset EA. Not a bad trade at all especially since I played it on easiest and I imagine it'd look even more favorable if played on a real difficulty, although you can't exactly use the demo as a reference since it's so wildly different from the base game. Apparently 2 more episodes to go too (although they were getting shorter in turn) so I'd feel comfortable saying that there's probably at least another 2.5 to 3.5 hours ahead. Fundamentally think it's a good game hampered by feature creep, or at least an inability to know exactly what they wanted to do with the game. The FPS stuff is good, bordering low key great. The RPG elements are very wanting. I feel it was a huge mistake to force them any more than was in the demo. I got a lot more opinions but I'd have to stew on them a bit more. Props though, ep 3 culminates in an actually pretty good turret section, a rarity in any game, although I got the feeling it would have been frustratingly difficult on any difficulty above medium and even that might be a contest

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So apparently the demo content will be in the final game it's just not integrated into the early access version yet. The demo level did feel like it was the start of the game but early access episode 1 immediately dumps you into an open world hub with little explanation.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Makes sense you are just dropped right into the thick of it. I'm pretty sure it's actually titled prelude in the demo even

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Lot of love for DEUS EX in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRGy1-YJXuM

The music mix in the cutscenes is a bit much, but it settles down in the gameplay. I like the 'Checkpoint device' over quicksaves as well.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

My understanding is that CS2 added a whole new level of accuracy to the shooting/hit detection, though I'm too much of a casual to explain or notice it. The smoke is pretty.

It certainly feels a lot better. Maybe because they added the revolutionary option to... have your crosshair follow the recoil pattern. Like every other FPS has been doing for like forever. I'm having a blast with it though!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Lot of love for DEUS EX in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRGy1-YJXuM

The music mix in the cutscenes is a bit much, but it settles down in the gameplay. I like the 'Checkpoint device' over quicksaves as well.
Game name gets me quite worried about where the story's gonna go. Otherwise looks fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I remember playing the Beyond Sunset demo from a year or so back and not loving it. Is the current demo on steam a new one?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Been replaying Blood through Fresh Supply.

Generally feels good, but the music volume seems way too low. As far as I could tell, E1M2 had no music at all. I know E1M3 and E1M5 have none, but I'm pretty sure E1M2 used to.

I checked the settings, and music volume was set to 100%, with sound effects at 85%. I turned sound effects and turned up my speakers to compensate a bit, but it still seems significantly lower than I remember. Also it seems like Caleb's lines dont follow the general sound volume - they feel to loud now.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nostalgamus posted:

Generally feels good, but the music volume seems way too low. As far as I could tell, E1M2 had no music at all. I know E1M3 and E1M5 have none, but I'm pretty sure E1M2 used to.

I checked the settings, and music volume was set to 100%, with sound effects at 85%. I turned sound effects and turned up my speakers to compensate a bit, but it still seems significantly lower than I remember. Also it seems like Caleb's lines dont follow the general sound volume - they feel to loud now.

try this, it helped me: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1788544354

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Nostalgamus posted:

Sounds like you may accidentally have your speakers set to 5.1 or something similar maybe. Check within game (can't remember if Fresh Supply has surround sound) or in your windows settings.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
1gb update for Dusk... could it be?

edit: lmao 3.1mb. I need glasses.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Mordja posted:

I remember playing the Beyond Sunset demo from a year or so back and not loving it. Is the current demo on steam a new one?

I believe it's the same demo, maybe with a few tweaks to the level. A lot of the issues I had with it were longstanding ones like the map and navigation being confusing, which carried over to the EA release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
stolen from the discord, there's a sin sourceport out

https://cohost.org/rohit/post/3207148-release-dominatrix