Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

Fun fact, 'oil as a sentient being using us to crawl out of earth, hoping to one day smother the sun' is an idea david bowie hosed with and is why his last album was called black star or whatever it was.

Also, I feel like this thread is veering closer to breaching the topic of Sumerian desert demons and I'm here for it. Gilgamesh as ur myth, etc.

the x-files mytharc was real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
United States Attorney's Office: District of Massachusetts: Three Arrested for Operating High-End Brothel Network

___

code:
https://twitter.com/KlonnyPin_Gosch/status/1722337830104404016
US Atty. for MA prob just inadvertently busted Operation Midnight Climax's kid sister. New "upscale" multi-state sexual blackmail ring just dropped. Total coincidence that locations are in [Massachusetts] AND Eastern Virginia

Customers were required to verify their identities by sharing their Driver’s Licenses…Politicians, pharma execs, military officers, & gov’t contractors w/ security clearance numbered among the clientele lol

Screenshots from the Virginia website the 3 men arrested & accused w/ organizing the prostitution ring have been using as a scheduler. “BEG” lol. It literally just has a disclaimer, a menu w/ a handful of sex worker handles (haven’t clicked on those, ofc), & a number to call.

[I'm cutting out some of the screenshots from the twitter thread because of the salacious nature of the photos that don't really add onto the news - if you really need to see them, go through the thread]

As for the Midnight Climax resonance, I will also point out that one of the accused architects of this prostitution ring was just apprehended in Torrance, CA… OP MC was famously run outta Boston w/ safe houses in CA & NYC

20 of the high society clients have cooperated w/ authorities so far. They’ve got the kompromat hatchet over their heads now…the capitalist class ties that bind. They’ll always be willing collaborators. Apparently the initial complaint came from a Dept of Homeland Security agent

All 3 of the accused are Korean. It’s v possible this was a sex blackmail network operated by foreign intel, ofc (could have been run clandestinely or in collab w/ American counterparts). Either way, there are apparently 100s of easily-blackmailed powerful ppl caught up in this.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

"we need to photocopy your id before we do this crime with you"

"duhhhhh ok"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

"we need to photocopy your id before we do this crime with you"

"duhhhhh ok"

Makes trump look like he has good opsec

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Nov 9, 2023

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

US Atty. for MA prob just inadvertently busted Operation Midnight Climax's kid sister.

that's a big jump.

we know about midnight climax because it was part of the MKULTRA programs, not because of the possible sexual blackmail. Using that name seems like it's more likely to confuse people rather than clarify. A sexual blackmail ring aimed at wealthy and powerful people being prosecuted in a US court is notable enough.

also, how do they know it's inadvertent on the part of Justice Department? Maybe this ring got dismantled because the people who set up it were playing at a higher level than they were ready for. The Massachusetts US Attonery's office has had some weird scandals in recent months too.
https://apnews.com/article/massachusetts-us-attorney-rachael-rollins-justice-department-7ff37567c0d8f7e906ffd1f609a404f3
https://apnews.com/article/rachael-rollins-massachusetts-us-attorney-resigns-42f9111ea4aedbcc6a1ba9f6313cfe6e

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"Erich Wollweber was one of the sailors whose mutiny was the spark of the German revolution of 1918. He was the military leader of the communist uprising of May 1923 in Bochum, and then in charge of the “West Büro” in the Komintern. He headed the clandestine apparatus of the International Seamen’s and Dockers’ International (Internationale der Seeleute und Hafenarbeiter or ISH), founded in 1930 in Hamburg by the Profintern—the Red Trade Union International. Established in 22 countries and 19 colonies, the ISH was led by Albert Walter, who was arrested the night the Reichstag was burned down and assassinated by the Nazis. The Wollweber organization carried out sabotage before and during the war, either on goods transported by Axis ships or on the ships themselves.

The organization was mainly based in Germany, Scandinavia, Dunkirk, Le Havre, Rotterdam and Antwerp. The Wollweber organization’s Antwerp group sank the Italian freighter Boccacio in November 1937, and in June 1938 set fire to the Japanese freighter Kasji Maru, which was on its way to Franco’s Spain. When the Nazis invaded Belgium, it was the files of the Belgian police that allowed the Gestapo to arrest, torture and murder Antwerp dockers of the Wollweber organization. The Belgian police transmitted its information to the Gestapo before the war within the framework of Interpol (from 1938 to 1945, SS generals presided over Interpol). The Commissioner General of the Belgian Judicial Police responsible for this collaboration, Florent Louwage, was the Belgian delegate at the Interpol headquarters in Berlin during the war, and after the war... president of Interpol."

🇧🇪

La Résistance communiste allemande 1933-1945,

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

The Commissioner General of the Belgian Judicial Police responsible for this collaboration, Florent Louwage, was the Belgian delegate at the Interpol headquarters in Berlin during the war, and after the war... president of Interpol."

incredible anticommunist credentials. I can see why he got the job

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

"Erich Wollweber was one of the sailors whose mutiny was the spark of the German revolution of 1918. He was the military leader of the communist uprising of May 1923 in Bochum, and then in charge of the “West Büro” in the Komintern. He headed the clandestine apparatus of the International Seamen’s and Dockers’ International (Internationale der Seeleute und Hafenarbeiter or ISH), founded in 1930 in Hamburg by the Profintern—the Red Trade Union International. Established in 22 countries and 19 colonies, the ISH was led by Albert Walter, who was arrested the night the Reichstag was burned down and assassinated by the Nazis. The Wollweber organization carried out sabotage before and during the war, either on goods transported by Axis ships or on the ships themselves.

The organization was mainly based in Germany, Scandinavia, Dunkirk, Le Havre, Rotterdam and Antwerp. The Wollweber organization’s Antwerp group sank the Italian freighter Boccacio in November 1937, and in June 1938 set fire to the Japanese freighter Kasji Maru, which was on its way to Franco’s Spain. When the Nazis invaded Belgium, it was the files of the Belgian police that allowed the Gestapo to arrest, torture and murder Antwerp dockers of the Wollweber organization. The Belgian police transmitted its information to the Gestapo before the war within the framework of Interpol (from 1938 to 1945, SS generals presided over Interpol). The Commissioner General of the Belgian Judicial Police responsible for this collaboration, Florent Louwage, was the Belgian delegate at the Interpol headquarters in Berlin during the war, and after the war... president of Interpol."

🇧🇪

La Résistance communiste allemande 1933-1945,

Lmao, had no idea about interpol

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
So post WW2; NATO's army has an ex-nazi as it's commander, Interpol is run by nazis, and america loses multiple wars in Asia after installing collaborator govs/doing genocide? And I'm meant to think the Soviets are evil because?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

genericnick posted:

lol I wasn't aware either but I guess I had just sorta assumed

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Puppy Burner posted:

So post WW2; NATO's army has an ex-nazi as it's commander, Interpol is run by nazis, and america loses multiple wars in Asia after installing collaborator govs/doing genocide? And I'm meant to think the Soviets are evil because?

Check out what America was doing in Central and South America too!

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

genericnick posted:

The International Criminal Police Commission (proto-Interpol) even shared their HQ with the literal Gestapo in the mid 1930s.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Hitlerpol

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Leo Panitch also died a few months after Graeber which was a bummer

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
must have all died from those excessive lockdowns David Talbot complained about last page

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
interesting thinkpiece by Cory Doctorow on "Schizmogenesis"; or the process by which reactionary opinion changing develops

https://pluralistic.net/2023/11/11/ad-jacency/#brand-safety

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

BasicLich posted:

interesting thinkpiece by Cory Doctorow

thems fighting words

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
here's an article by a resident poster that i enjoyed. Not sure if its been posted before it is worth a read.

https://daniel-ed-morrison.medium.com/the-whole-history-of-weaponised-unreality-1c2f987bcbed

It tackles the evolution of digital propaganda via the virility of memes, with a particular focus on the right wing that led to trump getting elected.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
yeah i'm not reading that

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I talked, in person, to Adam Curtis on Thursday, about Hypernormalization/Traumazone and he was able to sum all of that up in less than 95 minutes

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

Ether Frenzy posted:

I talked, in person, to Adam Curtis on Thursday, about Hypernormalization/Traumazone and he was able to sum all of that up in less than 95 minutes

my favourite will always by the machines of loving grace

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

swamp thong posted:

here's an article by a resident poster that i enjoyed. Not sure if its been posted before it is worth a read.

https://daniel-ed-morrison.medium.com/the-whole-history-of-weaponised-unreality-1c2f987bcbed

It tackles the evolution of digital propaganda via the virility of memes, with a particular focus on the right wing that led to trump getting elected.

I remember this being good and I'm reading it again.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I would have to know which "resident poster" specifically before engaging

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

trump winning 2016 really broke some loving brains

to be fair 2020 [the sum year not so much the politics] broke mine so i shouldnt throw stones but i absolutely will

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

From an outside perspective, Trump being president is no weirder than Reagan

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

you gotta admit that reagans toupee was a lot more convincing though

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pathologizing 2016 when it really is a matter of like, hillary really was so unlikeable that trump was able to beat her in the states that mattered.

The conclusion liberals learned seems to be that even facade democracy is too much and we should just do the fascism our way lol

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Riot Bimbo posted:

Pathologizing 2016 when it really is a matter of like, hillary really was so unlikeable that trump was able to beat her in the states that mattered.

The conclusion liberals learned seems to be that even facade democracy is too much and we should just do the fascism our way lol

It. Was. Her. Turn.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Dokapon Findom posted:

bucky fullminster. he's been posting it repeatedly in the auspol thread of all places across the forum for about three years now, while pointing out it's great because six people on twitter liked it and apparently someone got probated for posting it in the qanon thread (maybe?) and he's received a lot of well-meaning feedback and critique which he refuses to listen to because he appears to be in the midst of a reality break

he does not appear to understand that whatever points he has tried to make are buried under a meandering 20,000 word screed. he's been working on it for years.

Horizon Burning has issued a correction as of 00:24 on Nov 13, 2023

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
did you read it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I already think Clinton is George HW Bush's bastard son and the CIA has a pancreatitis gun, "memes got Trump elected" is positively pedestrian

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Clinton is 100% a bastard bush the same as trudeau is Castro's son

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Riot Bimbo posted:

Clinton is 100% a bastard bush the same as trudeau is Castro's son

whats crazy is they have the same mother

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Dokapon Findom posted:

:downsa:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

what if clinton is trudeaus son

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

blatman posted:

what if clinton is trudeaus son

George H. W. Santos