Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah they've really ramped up the nonsense in the last day. I won't watch youtube ads, I'll go back to piracy idgaf. What is the percentage of people using it anyway? I don't think you can use it on phones so already that's a huge number (probably the vast majority) who aren't circumventing it to begin with. I don't think desktop or taptop it's that common for normies either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

i just gave up and got youtube premium

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
uBlock Origin updated to 1.53 today so if it's not showing as that version you may need to re-add it to your browser.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

pencilhands posted:

When Osiris weighs your soul against a feather to see if you shall go on to the eternal paradise of the Field of Reeds, this decision shall indeed make your soul heavy as gently caress. :colbert:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

dr_rat posted:

When Osiris weighs your soul against a feather to see if you shall go on to the eternal paradise of the Field of Reeds, this decision shall indeed make your soul heavy as gently caress. :colbert:

thats ok i probably deserve it

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

is there a way to share my account with my brother without getting the family plan?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pencilhands posted:

is there a way to share my account with my brother without getting the family plan?

lmao

nobody ever said you weren't funny though, I'll give you that

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

im not joking

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

BlackIronHeart posted:

uBlock Origin updated to 1.53 today so if it's not showing as that version you may need to re-add it to your browser.

tried that no dice. thanks though. I'll tinker with it later, see if any of the other fixes work

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
firefox + ublock + dont be logged in = i've still never seen these ads or ad gripes

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Yeah I noticed that ublock checker site was saying NO , but regardless, no ads nor warning popups showed up for me on my Firefox/ublock setup.

Eat my poo poo google.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ded posted:

firefox + ublock + dont be logged in = i've still never seen these ads or ad gripes

This.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

dr_rat posted:

Look as the saying goes in advertising, if someone doesn't seem to be into what your selling just annoy them for two hours straight until their brain melts and they give in.

If someone still has the will to live after you've advertised to them, you haven't done your job right.

another way to put this is "she was dressed like she wanted it"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

pencilhands posted:

I take back anything nice I said about you. You piece of poo poo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You said nice things about PencilHands?

Kimchi Surplus
Dec 4, 2007

Daddy's out of bourbon...

ded posted:

This, OP.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

You said nice things about PencilHands?

They're from like Worcester so I was trying to be marginally nice, out of pity.

ded posted:

I do the first two, and I know not being logged in seals the deal, but logging out of YT logs me out of Gmail and Google Voice, which is not so good. Incognito messes up my whole organizational system with 5000 open tabs.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 10, 2023

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTube and a TV is the way to go for me and still works great, I don't really use youtube on small screens anymore.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Well poo poo, guess I'm a firefox man again.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Zero VGS posted:

I do the first two, and I know not being logged in seals the deal, but logging out of YT logs me out of Gmail and Google Voice, which is not so good. Incognito messes up my whole organizational system with 5000 open tabs.

just open a new private window

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well poo poo, guess I'm a firefox man again.

always have been

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ded posted:

I'm running Linux Mint with their version of Firefox + uBlock origin and am always logged in, not had any ads yet at all. :shrug:

Are they more heavily focused on the USA cause i'm in the UK?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Zero VGS posted:

If you are using Firefox, you can set up multi account containers and have a container just for YouTube.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Just Another Lurker posted:

I'm running Linux Mint with their version of Firefox + uBlock origin and am always logged in, not had any ads yet at all. :shrug:

It may just be a chrome thing which lmfao

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTube and a TV is the way to go for me and still works great, I don't really use youtube on small screens anymore.
I think I asked around the start of this but I ain't digging back to find out.
Is there a solution for Samsung smart TVs?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Milo and POTUS posted:

It may just be a chrome thing which lmfao
Finland and Firefox here, so it's not location or browser-based in any obvious way. Ublock works for some period of time and then stops working for some period of time. Ublock's filter list updates have no bearing on this for me. I think there's just no discernible rhyme or reason to whatever Google is doing. It might be deliberately confusing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Probably. If they can force you into trying multiple things then you might run out of options or just give up in frustration. Either works for them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm occasionally (like once a day) getting a window that says "Please stop using Adblock, it's not allowed!!!!!" but you can close it and continue watching the video, lol.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

I'm occasionally (like once a day) getting a window that says "Please stop using Adblock, it's not allowed!!!!!" but you can close it and continue watching the video, lol.

That was working for a while but not anymore

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

steinrokkan posted:

They have tiers. First it's this, then there's a timer for being able to close it. Then it's "you have 3 more videos". Then you're blocked from watching anything. It might take a day to progress a tier, it might take a month, it might not happen, who knows.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I caved and disabled my adblock and the first ad I got was for an adblocker.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Croccers posted:

I think I asked around the start of this but I ain't digging back to find out.
Is there a solution for Samsung smart TVs?

I don't think so, they are pretty locked down. I have a Samsung and hated their Tizen software enough to get an nvidia shield tv box.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I caved and disabled my adblock and the first ad I got was for an adblocker.

getting some real mixed messages

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

getting some real mixed messages

I still remember reading ages ago about how at one period it was either Sony had one division putting out dvd movies trying to put in anti copying stuff on them, and another division making dvd writers that would try and ignore the anti copying stuff as much as they could, or it was CD music/ Cd writers. But yeah multinationals being consistent, lol.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

Literally the same as you, Mint with Firefox and uBO in the UK and I don't get ads, but I have been getting the no adblocking popup now and then. The last time I saw it it was on strike 3 of 3, so I guess the next time it shows might be interesting. I think if you don't use YouTube much and you're lucky with the filter updates you'll never see it as the filters update every 12 hours.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Khanstant posted:

Lol is that real?

I have never seen a full podcast, but once between baby distraction videos a 7-minute Bollywood music video played as an ad for a new movie. That obviously my friend’s infant will fly to India to view. That was a solid 2:1 ad:video ratio.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Lol is that real?
Before the BF got premium for TV YT, yeah. But it was always late at night, like 11pm+ times.
I assumed they were hoping you fell asleep with YT playing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Literally the same as you, Mint with Firefox and uBO in the UK and I don't get ads, but I have been getting the no adblocking popup now and then. The last time I saw it it was on strike 3 of 3, so I guess the next time it shows might be interesting. I think if you don't use YouTube much and you're lucky with the filter updates you'll never see it as the filters update every 12 hours.

I'm watching about 6-8 hours of YT per day while gaming, history & tech content with the extremely rare song thrown into the mix.

If i start getting strikes and adverts i'll just watch more Twitch (currently negating their advert spam as well, extension: Alternate Player for Twitch.tv).

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bertha the Toaster posted:

You can also do like I do & update the UBO filters manually a couple times a day. I haven't seen a 3 strikes warning (yet), just the original "adblockers bad" one that comes up occasionally. Once I purge cache & update it's usually all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Ads on YouTube are also really loving strange sometimes.

Me and my roommate were watching something on YouTube on the tv awhile back and got an ad that was a tutorial and demonstration of how to excrete a dogs anal glands. We were dumbfounded the whole time and watched the whole drat thing.