Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FunOne posted:

Can you be more specific? My wife's pro8 has had weird ongoing issues with killing the running process. It'd basically drop back to the lock screen over and over, but it only did it intermittently. And it never killed background processes.

I only found one example of the behavior on Reddit and the suggestions were update and factory reset. I asked here and didn't get anything either.

We've done the force reset, but she says it is still misbehaving but less. Same since applying the Nov update.

Now it's at ubreakiffix to see if they see it, else it's a warranty replacement. Best we can figure it might be something in the digitizer since it seems tied to swipe and continuous touch input. But that's a best guess. Blue pro 8 256 if anyone cares.

One example, was I went down my elevator to go outside the other day, opened my phone, checked a text, tried to hit the sleep button, nothing happened, tapped around the screen, nothing happened, totally frozen, 30 seconds later it goes black and reboots

Another time in the last 2 weeks, I was opening a car share app that we use here called Evo to reserve a car nearby, screen/taps stopped responding, I could sleep the phone but not wake it again, AOD stuck on, I had to hold the power button for....like 30 seconds? whatever it is, to cause it to hard reboot.

I'll see if this update fixes it! It's installed now and is about to reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude
Just want to complain about wifi speed on 8pro, no change with latest update. Might need complain to Google. I'm getting a couple mb down on wifi, when 6pro got, oh, let's say 300mb easy. Deco mesh network. It seems like if I disconnect and reconnect it will improve for a very short time (1 minute max) but then back to being garbage, videos buffering, etc.

Really frustrating, I'm lucky enough to get 1gig fiber but phone is not taking advantage of it

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I had issues with my normal 8 dropping wifi connection every few minutes, despite saying good reception. I don't have a mesh network but did have a single little range extender thing. Unplugging that fixed it entirely. That probably isn't feasible for people with a real mesh network, but at least that seems to have been completely my problem.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ragaduffin posted:

Just want to complain about wifi speed on 8pro, no change with latest update. Might need complain to Google. I'm getting a couple mb down on wifi, when 6pro got, oh, let's say 300mb easy. Deco mesh network. It seems like if I disconnect and reconnect it will improve for a very short time (1 minute max) but then back to being garbage, videos buffering, etc.

Really frustrating, I'm lucky enough to get 1gig fiber but phone is not taking advantage of it

I definitely don't have that problem on my 8 Pro, before or after the update. Roughly 200mbps down/up.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Well, I pulled the trigger and bought the 8 pro with my soon-to-expire 20% off coupon. So that means that the black Friday deals will definitely be even better. You're welcome.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Since the forum hasn't been moderated in a while I'm going to be lenient, but that conversation about decoy phones for muggings derail on the last page is the kind of thing I'm just going to drop probes on in the future. Consider this fair warning.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Since the forum hasn't been moderated in a while

It's almost like it doesn't really need it :thunk:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Also, in case it wasn't obvious, I am reading reports.

This thread usually runs just fine, and I don't foresee needing to much modding in general. Nor do I want to. Let's just get back to our regular programming.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
between the equaliser updates and the new feature that pauses your music/turns off noise cancellation if it notices you speaking, I'm really loving the pixel bud pro's even more

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

DesperateDan posted:

between the equaliser updates and the new feature that pauses your music/turns off noise cancellation if it notices you speaking, I'm really loving the pixel bud pro's even more

I love the automatic transparency. Last night at the gym it was activating a little too easily, but after hitting go again a few times, it calmed down. Since conditions didn't change, I'm assuming it was learning. It stopped triggering when I cleared my throat, etc as well.

Also: lol@the immediate mod-sass above. Made my morning.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

AlexDeGruven posted:

I love the automatic transparency. Last night at the gym it was activating a little too easily, but after hitting go again a few times, it calmed down. Since conditions didn't change, I'm assuming it was learning. It stopped triggering when I cleared my throat, etc as well.

Do you do anything special to keep them in your ear? They fall out easier than the Pixel Buds A's for me and even those fall out of my ear once in awhile at the gym.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

withoutclass posted:

Do you do anything special to keep them in your ear? They fall out easier than the Pixel Buds A's for me and even those fall out of my ear once in awhile at the gym.

These hold better than any others I've used before. My Galaxy Buds 2 have a lot of trouble staying in with the stock tips. These don't.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

It's almost like it doesn't really need it :thunk:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Interesting response to forum feedback

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Top modding, great job :thumbsup:

Next time just post instead of a petty sixer, we're all supposedly adults here

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

withoutclass posted:

did you try the largest size tips/do a fitment check?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

DesperateDan posted:

did you try the largest size tips/do a fitment check?

Yea I've tried them all. Without the fin like the A's have they just do not like to stay in :/

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I'm joining the Xperia 1 V club! :toot: Been checking Swappa, Sony, Amazon, Focus, B&H, and Adorama for a couple of months now. Secondipity apparently has the refurb contract with Sony because they are the only other retailer(besides Sony) I have seen with the green US model. They're selling them for $500 off on eBay at the moment. Added the listing to my watch list yesterday and they sent an offer of $719 today--basically half off. Plus, 2-year Allstate warranty instead of the factory 1-year.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

Top modding, great job :thumbsup:

Next time just post instead of a petty sixer, we're all supposedly adults here

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Since the forum hasn't been moderated in a while I'm going to be lenient, but that conversation about decoy phones for muggings derail on the last page is the kind of thing I'm just going to drop probes on in the future. Consider this fair warning.

:confused:

spincube posted:

Interesting response to forum feedback

I had literally just issued a warning.

Come on, people. This thread runs just fine 99% of the time. I have no desire to change how things run in IYG, and mostly expect to have to field the rare reports it generates. Like it did yesterday. To which I responded by issuing a warning. This is the last off-topic post I intend to make in the thread, and I would request that others do the same.

My Pixel 6 got the November update yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to be out and about and see if the intermittent Android Auto dropout issues I was seeing are fixed yet.

stratego
May 6, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

I have had nothing but a bad experience with the auto transparency while at the gym. Any exertion noise, a cough, throat clearing, any noise while lifting would trigger it and it was super loving annoying to have to restart the playback.
After 4 gym sessions of annoyance I had to turn it off.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

If it makes you feel any better, AirPods are much the same. External noise doesn’t faze it, but the moment you make any noise, it interprets it as a conversation and mutes/pauses

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

I'm joining the Xperia 1 V club! :toot: Been checking Swappa, Sony, Amazon, Focus, B&H, and Adorama for a couple of months now. Secondipity apparently has the refurb contract with Sony because they are the only other retailer(besides Sony) I have seen with the green US model. They're selling them for $500 off on eBay at the moment. Added the listing to my watch list yesterday and they sent an offer of $719 today--basically half off. Plus, 2-year Allstate warranty instead of the factory 1-year.

Congrats, I hope you end up loving yours as much as I do mine, and that's a hell of a discount too.

Your preferences might be different from mine regarding cases, but I've got the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Zero One and the Sony Official Case with Stand for mine and I much prefer the Sony case. It's not as protective, but it adds just enough extra depth to the phone to make it easier to hold and the kickstand on it is great. The Spigen one, for some reason, lacks a nub in the upper corner by the camera module so it still kind of rocks when laid on its back on a table and the camera shutter button cover makes using the two-stage function more difficult, but it is far more protective of the device. If you get the Spigen case it's way cheaper on Amazon than it is going through Spigen's site, but the Sony one is about the same regardless of where you buy it.

Edit: there is also a way to force Wi-Fi calling to work, which seems to be pain point for people with this device. The solution doesn't seem to work on T-Mobile and doesn't need to be done on Google Fi, but if you're on anything else it should work without a problem, though does have to be redone anytime there is an update for the device. It doesn't involve :filez: but it does involve going into developer options and using third party apps to trick the device. Not sure if that's allowed in this thread, so not posting it here unless I'm specifically told it's okay.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 11, 2023

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I had literally just issued a warning.

Come on, people. This thread runs just fine 99% of the time.

You're right, and I'm unsure how your actions - parachuting in from nowhere, completely ignoring the posts that annoyed you, and instead blasting a mild, inoffensive feedback post with a petty RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH sixer - improved this thread.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

HTH y'all are way overreacting to this.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

stratego posted:

I have had nothing but a bad experience with the auto transparency while at the gym. Any exertion noise, a cough, throat clearing, any noise while lifting would trigger it and it was super loving annoying to have to restart the playback.
After 4 gym sessions of annoyance I had to turn it off.

Mine was like that at first, but calmed down pretty quickly. Interesting.

I also don't power lift, so maybe I'm just making less noises overall.

But I had no problem listening to my audible book last night, and the only time it triggered was when I actually talked to someone.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

Congrats, I hope you end up loving yours as much as I do mine, and that's a hell of a discount too.

Your preferences might be different from mine regarding cases, but I've got the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Zero One and the Sony Official Case with Stand for mine and I much prefer the Sony case. It's not as protective, but it adds just enough extra depth to the phone to make it easier to hold and the kickstand on it is great. The Spigen one, for some reason, lacks a nub in the upper corner by the camera module so it still kind of rocks when laid on its back on a table and the camera shutter button cover makes using the two-stage function more difficult, but it is far more protective of the device. If you get the Spigen case it's way cheaper on Amazon than it is going through Spigen's site, but the Sony one is about the same regardless of where you buy it.

Edit: there is also a way to force Wi-Fi calling to work, which seems to be pain point for people with this device. The solution doesn't seem to work on T-Mobile and doesn't need to be done on Google Fi, but if you're on anything else it should work without a problem, though does have to be redone anytime there is an update for the device. It doesn't involve :filez: but it does involve going into developer options and using third party apps to trick the device. Not sure if that's allowed in this thread, so not posting it here unless I'm specifically told it's okay.

Sony's OOS on the green case so I ordered it from NGP Store on Amazon just to have something. I wanted to check out the Devilcase here (fitting room is second link at the top of the page, then choose manufacturer and model from dropdowns) but you need to spend about $92 US to get free shipping from Taiwan. One case is about $32 and then $65 for intl shipping. Three cases and a few sets of extra buttons would be right around $94 because it hits the $3000TW threshold for shipping. If you (or anyone else) wants to go in on a Devilcase order, let me know! Thought about asking you and the other recent 1V buyer, but iirc, they aren't in the US because the Pixel is not available in their country.

I think I already know what you're referring to in regards to WiFi calling (Pixel IMS?) but I have been with Fi for about 8 years now. Ditched the idea of importing a silver one because I got mixed messages whether flashing NA modem files on EU or other models required an unlocked bootloader or not. The thread on XDA says no unlocked bootloader and then proceeds to give directions on how to unlock the bootloader... Absolutely don't want to unlock the bootloader because I doubt I'd be able to use my banking apps afterwards.

Think the only thing I am actually gonna miss is not having call screening for the three or four times/month I get a spam call. We'll see.

Good looking out! Hit me up if you decide you really want a custom Devilcase with the supreme logo as "Suckme," capybaras with yuzu, or any of the extraordinarily lovely choices based on American culture.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Branch Nvidian posted:

I don't see any problem with this, as long any possible risks are made clear (bricking, warranty-violating, whatever).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

spincube posted:

You're right, and I'm unsure how your actions - parachuting in from nowhere, completely ignoring the posts that annoyed you, and instead blasting a mild, inoffensive feedback post with a petty RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH sixer - improved this thread.

You have two posts in this thread, both of which are taking a run at me presumably because I gave you a sixer 2 months ago. If you post like this again I'm giving you a day off, at least. Post about Android ITT or don't post in it at all.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

Sony's OOS on the green case so I ordered it from NGP Store on Amazon just to have something. I wanted to check out the Devilcase here (fitting room is second link at the top of the page, then choose manufacturer and model from dropdowns) but you need to spend about $92 US to get free shipping from Taiwan. One case is about $32 and then $65 for intl shipping. Three cases and a few sets of extra buttons would be right around $94 because it hits the $3000TW threshold for shipping. If you (or anyone else) wants to go in on a Devilcase order, let me know! Thought about asking you and the other recent 1V buyer, but iirc, they aren't in the US because the Pixel is not available in their country.

I think I already know what you're referring to in regards to WiFi calling (Pixel IMS?) but I have been with Fi for about 8 years now. Ditched the idea of importing a silver one because I got mixed messages whether flashing NA modem files on EU or other models required an unlocked bootloader or not. The thread on XDA says no unlocked bootloader and then proceeds to give directions on how to unlock the bootloader... Absolutely don't want to unlock the bootloader because I doubt I'd be able to use my banking apps afterwards.

Think the only thing I am actually gonna miss is not having call screening for the three or four times/month I get a spam call. We'll see.

Good looking out! Hit me up if you decide you really want a custom Devilcase with the supreme logo as "Suckme," capybaras with yuzu, or any of the extraordinarily lovely choices based on American culture.

Yeah, the Pixel IMS trick is what I was talking about. I've looked at the Devilcases before, but they honestly don't look like anything special to me other than being able to get a case with a custom anime waifu or Badz-Maru on it. I know the folks on the Xperia subreddit seem to love them though, so there must be something to it. If there is a third buyer interested then I'll go in with you on it.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't see any problem with this, as long any possible risks are made clear (bricking, warranty-violating, whatever).

Good to know. Don't need to in this instance since them being on Google Fi makes it a moot point.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 12, 2023

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yeah, the Pixel IMS trick is what I was talking about. I've looked at the Devilcases before, but they honestly don't look like anything special to me other than being able to get a case with a custom anime waifu or Badz-Maru on it. I know the folks on the Xperia subreddit seem to love them though, so there must be something to it. If there is a third buyer interested then I'll go in with you on it.

Slim pickins for cases. Looked like it was probably the most likely one to protect from drop damage. The Sony case leaves the aluminum rails exposed and I'd imagine I am going to somehow ding it up nearly immediately. FWIW, I would just get transparent with green composite. Debating between getting the camera ring in matching green or black with the goofy fake Sony text/red ring. Maybe I'll just pick up two and keep an extra or sell the third on eBay. I'll PM you here in a week or so after I've got the phone if you are still interested. Last thing I want is to order three (four, really) cases only to have Secondipity cancel the order on Monday.

Ironically, the cheap plastic case from Docomo also looks decent for protection and still showcases the phone's design well, but it is probably slippery. Can't figure out how to buy one, either.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You have two posts in this thread, both of which are taking a run at me presumably because I gave you a sixer 2 months ago. If you post like this again I'm giving you a day off, at least. Post about Android ITT or don't post in it at all.

I've been posting in the various Android OS, app and tablet threads since I owned a Nexus One back in - ah, poo poo - 2010, and you've had buttons in this subforum for about two weeks, so please don't flatter yourself thinking I'm some kind of Forums Enemy with an axe to grind.

spincube fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 12, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

spincube posted:

I've been posting in the various Android OS, app and tablet threads since I owned a Nexus One back in - ah, poo poo - 2010, and you've had buttons in this subforum for about two weeks, so please don't flatter yourself thinking I'm some kind of Forums Enemy with an axe to grind.

Then shut the gently caress up and post about Android. The only reason I didn't probe your post is that you tangentially mentioned Android, and now is the time you really need to move on from whatever it is you think you're doing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Xperia 1 gang! I've got the Spigen Rugged Armor and it works well for me; plain black, protective, good grip, though might be a wee bit thicker than I'd like. I've also taken like fifty bajillion photos in the month I've had the phone. Really love it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Further pixel 8 pro review from me:

After initially being impressed with the battery compared to my around one year old pixel 7 pro the battery now seems the same or worse.

I suspect it's because I switched to full resolution, higher refresh rates, and always on display, any tips would be appreciated.

A lot of it is usually caused by my work site being a metal roofed and sided metal rear end building which blocks a lot of cell signal and on that front this phone is a champ, better than pixel 6 or 7 and some of my coworkers phones struggle to get a signal at all.
(Could the fact that I can actually hold 5g all the time now be causing this?!)

I do put it on airplane mode if I won't be using my phone for more than an hour, work has some no cell phones allowed areas I work in.

Someone earlier posted about having multiple touches to register a press and I'm noticing this especially in the bottom corners on the awful app, the page forward and back sometimes seems like it takes 3 taps or so, other times it works the first time, kinda annoying.

E: Oh and I like the official Google store leather cases, not the most minimal and expensive but they hold up very well and feel nice.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 13, 2023

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Does Google wait till Black Friday to put their sales out or do they do it earlier?
I assume it's some decent discounts so I'm willing to wait but it's going to be hard. What I'm worried about most is if the charging stops working at all and battery dies. I won't be able to boot it up to transfer anything.

My 6Pro's battery won't go above 25% charge and the charge speed is glacier like slow (I managed 3% in an hour with it in airplane mode).

edit: Just got an email from google announcing the sales starting 11/16. Sweet I don't have to wait too long

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 13, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there no way to keep 120hz on while using battery saving mode? S23

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Digital Jedi posted:

edit: Just got an email from google announcing the sales starting 11/16. Sweet I don't have to wait too long
If anyone missed this: https://store.google.com/
US Store:
Save $150 on Pixel 8 (Starts at $549 after savings)
Save $200 on Pixel 8 Pro (Starts at $799 after savings)
Save $100 on Pixel Tablet (Starts at $399 after savings, which was the previous sale which went away a few days ago)
Save $125 on Pixel 7a (Starts at $374 after savings)
Save $80 on Pixel Buds Pro (Starts at $120 after savings)
Save $400 on Pixel Fold (Starts at $1399 after savings)
Save $80 on Pixel Watch (1 not 2, no savings on 2) (Starts at $199 after savings)

And a few others but you can look for not phones/accessories if you want to know what's up

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I have a Pixel 5 and I'm having problems with Adaptive Charging. The setting claims to learn your charging habits but mine just... doesn't. Anytime I plug my phone in after around 7pm it turns on Adaptive Charging and says it'll be full by 7am, but I haven't ever unplugged this phone at 7am and am often up before then so that doesn't work for me at all.

I know I can turn it off (it's off right now) but is there a way to manually control either the set time or (even better) the charging speed instead? This is becoming more of a problem since I lost close to 20% of my battery duration with the November update.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

I have a Pixel 5 and I'm having problems with Adaptive Charging. The setting claims to learn your charging habits but mine just... doesn't. Anytime I plug my phone in after around 7pm it turns on Adaptive Charging and says it'll be full by 7am, but I haven't ever unplugged this phone at 7am and am often up before then so that doesn't work for me at all.

I know I can turn it off (it's off right now) but is there a way to manually control either the set time or (even better) the charging speed instead? This is becoming more of a problem since I lost close to 20% of my battery duration with the November update.

Do you use the phone as your alarm? It may help to have an alarm set for the time you usually wake up.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Do you use the phone as your alarm? It may help to have an alarm set for the time you usually wake up.

I do, with AMdroid. It shows on the stock lock screen and everything, so the OS can definitely see it, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

I have to set a ton of alarms to wake up early, like one every 5 minutes for an hour and a half of escalating noise and difficulty, so maybe it's getting confused? I'll try setting just one and see if it unfucks.

I'd still rather have the ability to manually set the charge speed if that's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Do you happen to have an alarm at 7:00 AM? Mine seems to set based on whatever alarm I got next.

Edit: Oops, forgot to refresh.

I use AMDroid as well, but I just have the single alarm (that escalates when I fail the are-you--actually-awake check in).