Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Evans always finds time to insult Tiffany somehow, even when she’s right.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 07, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

We've seen the coach be racist toward Fiona before, so this just comes across as the university doing one of those diversity hires to make them look good and progressive.

Did Team Evans find this thread or something? Because this is giving off the same vibe as that time James Allen used Mark Trail to complain about how people are so mean to him online. Because this entire thing with Bets has always been about how you can never trust anything you find from going online, what with Gunther finding her when Luann made him a dating profile on not-Tindr.

But the real question is which SA goon will they decide is their nemesis and insert into the comic? :allears:

riderchop posted:

[For Better or For Worse

Man, that last panel really says a lot about how Lynn thinks. It's not like Foob mom is going, "maybe I should trust my daughter and give her a chance." What she's actually thinking is, "maybe we should get a puppy because I think it's a good idea."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

amigolupus posted:

Did Team Evans find this thread or something? Because this is giving off the same vibe as that time James Allen used Mark Trail to complain about how people are so mean to him online. Because this entire thing with Bets has always been about how you can never trust anything you find from going online, what with Gunther finding her when Luann made him a dating profile on not-Tindr.

lol, I was gonna say, this reads like a direct response to online comments. I'm not even seeing a joke in it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

davidspackage posted:

lol, I was gonna say, this reads like a direct response to online comments. I'm not even seeing a joke in it.

The joke's in the final panel - the blonde one agrees that you shouldn't call people names, and the people who do it are dweebs.
Also, she sat and read 125 COMMENTS? ON INSTAGRAM? (or whatever) AND SHE COUNTED THEM ALL?
e: stood and read

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Howard Beale posted:

Oh wow, Val pondering his new reputation made me realize that this is a completely clean variant of the "But you gently caress one sheep..." joke. Leave it to Hal Foster!

I like the whole setup a lot more when you put it that way, haha

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 13, 1960)

Foster's sketches appear to be based on a part of Cheddar Gorge that unfortunately shares a name with a more famous mountain in Hong Kong, making it hard for me to quickly google up any details.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I seriously doubt the Evanses would dare venture into a website that has a hand grenade as its logo.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/9/03

Fish heads! Fish heads!

Brenda Starr 1/17-19/52

Smokey Stover 11/24/57

Everyday Movies 12/12/36

"This is exactly what I wanted to get her for Christmas, but I didn't know they were only $1.98. I'll have to think of something more expensive."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/16-18/42

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 10, 2023

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

:chloe:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Mercury Hat posted:

Mr Stamm you cannot call a character "Midge" and then draw the loving Inch High Private Eye.

I'm pretty sure he just did.:boom:

Krazy Kat(May 5, 1918)

The Rectangle(Gasoline Alley)(March 9, 1919)

40 cents in 1919 is $7.12 today.
$4.80 is $85.40 today.

Little Nemo(September 29, 1907)

$9 trillion in 1907 is $294,691,595,744,680.81 today

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 11, 2023

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Is it a stereotype that Appalachia never gets cold?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Medenmath posted:

I like the whole setup a lot more when you put it that way, haha

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 13, 1960)

Foster's sketches appear to be based on a part of Cheddar Gorge that unfortunately shares a name with a more famous mountain in Hong Kong, making it hard for me to quickly google up any details.

It appears Val never received the old adage that there is nothing so ridiculous looking as a man naked but for his socks/shoes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

he's not naked, he has a cape

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Hwurmp posted:

Human Raccoon

Rocket Ralph.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I am back from the hellscape known as "travelling for work" but I will also return to that hellscape next week so there will also be catchup posts then too.

Breaking Cat News IT'S FINALLY OVER

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave has a much simpler writer's block solution.

Heart of the City

Curtis

This was pretty easy for me but I've had the Animaniacs president's song memorized since I was a child.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kennel posted:

Nancy

These new teacher gags have been pretty good.
This one has the feel of a long-held grudge. Something a teacher actually said to her at some point (the first three panels) and she's either just remembered it or just thought of a punchline to put in the comic.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

amigolupus posted:

But the real question is which SA goon will they decide is their nemesis and insert into the comic? :allears:

greg evans has a cartooning disease but ill still read that garbage

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 19: Maggie's Party Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

The Reverend is boiling the kettle. I suspect he feels like it’s the only thing he can do.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hippocrass posted:

Little Nemo(September 29, 1907)

I'll remember this comic until the day I die, because Neil Gaiman quotes the line "these people ought to know who we are and tell that we are here" in one of his short story collections and credits it to the book In the Shadow of No Towers. That line struck me when I first read it, and I sought out that book mistakenly thinking that it was a collection of Little Nemo stories. Instead, it was a completely schmaltzy tribute to the fallen World Trade Center buildings that included just this one comic.

What the gently caress, Neil? Credit the original source!

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 10, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Definitely not a 1970s console TV that's been hastily drawn over! No sir, that's a genuine modern flat panel standing on the floor, two feet out from the wall.

Slylock Fox

drat that's a fine elephant.

Flash Gordon

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
So, with the end of the year approaching, I was thinking about re-posting Corto and Blueberry from the beginning (my probing of Buddy Longway as an alternative translation project making me feel... A bit uneasy re. representation of Native Americans, more so than Blueberry!)

Would that be cool with folk, or should I just let them be?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

yesterdays strip had me going 'wait a minute, if barin escaped, that means ming could have too!' - i hadnt considered that she might have just been lying

i am a huge fan of this reboot, thanks for posting it!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

I'll remember this comic until the day I die, because Neil Gaiman quotes the line "these people ought to know who we are and tell that we are here" in one of his short story collections and credits it to the book In the Shadow of No Towers. That line struck me when I first read it, and I sought out that book mistakenly thinking that it was a collection of Little Nemo stories. Instead, it was a completely schmaltzy tribute to the fallen World Trade Center buildings that included just this one comic.

What the gently caress, Neil? Credit the original source!

I dunno if he updated the intro at some point, but I have a copy of Fragile Things (the book he originally intended to call "These People Ought to Know Who We Are and Tell That We Are Here") to hand, and in the introduction he credits the line to

quote:

a panel from a Little Nemo Sunday page (oddly enough, you can now find a beautiful reproduction of the page in Art Spiegelman's book In the Shadow of No Towers)
The panel itself is includeded and fully referenced as Little Nemo in Slumberland, Winsor McCay, New York Herald, September 29, 1907.

I'd guess No Towers was just where he'd most recently seen a good version of it in a mass market publication.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

BigglesSWE posted:

I seriously doubt the Evanses would dare venture into a website that has a hand grenade as its logo.
If they ever read commentary on their comics, I’m sure it’s on gocomics.

I bet they at least check them out every once in a while, which means they are aware of Mordock.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Samovar posted:

So, with the end of the year approaching, I was thinking about re-posting Corto and Blueberry from the beginning (my probing of Buddy Longway as an alternative translation project making me feel... A bit uneasy re. representation of Native Americans, more so than Blueberry!)

Would that be cool with folk, or should I just let them be?

You know the rule. :justpost:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

goatface posted:

The panel itself is includeded and fully referenced as Little Nemo in Slumberland, Winsor McCay, New York Herald, September 29, 1907.

I'd guess No Towers was just where he'd most recently seen a good version of it in a mass market publication.

Ugh, that just shows I should have looked into it more. Why wouldn't I assume an Art Spiegelman book was about comics?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 8, 1935)

Peanuts (November 12, 1976)

Crankshaft

Unlike this one-man operation, our local paper is fully staffed, so when it came time to cut costs they had to make some genuinely hard decisions. Like which day's edition was on the chopping block. Or whether they were going to be able to print in color anymore.

But yeah, NO MORE RECIPES, FATTIES! WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Mutt and Jeff

For those of you who skip Rip Haywire, he's stopped eating pancakes long enough to fight a gorilla! If that's what you'd call it, anyway.

Li'l Abner (January 21-23, 1935)

Thimble Theater (June 14, 1940)

OOW will catch up with us later, I promise.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

I bet they at least check them out every once in a while, which means they are aware of Mordock.

At the Evans home/office, there is a cork board full of hasty sketches and scribbled story ideas, circling a big paper with red arrows pointing towards a single, mysterious word: "MORDOCK???"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, it's Art Spiegelman. That generally means it's really about trauma explored through the medium of comics.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (November 12, 1976)

Victory at Sea is an interesting cultural artifact. A producer at NBC thought about the enormous pile of newsreel and military stock footage taken during WWII and, in the spirit of Ed Wood, decided he could make a whole TV series with that. So he hired a team of archivists to sort it all out into a narrative, got the most bombastic narrator that ever walked the earth to narrate it, and the composer Richard Rodgers (from Rodgers and Hammerstein) to write some music for it, and produced a 13 hour / 26 episode long musical montage of the US's naval war during WWII.

The show was a hit and so was the album of Richard Rodgers' score for the show. Richard Nixon was reportedly obsessed with it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMOJ05TrdIZA7pNQa5YjrHuPIDPdHPIod

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This rules. I'm totally invested.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Murdstone posted:

We've had a few creators turn up in the thread -- most gloriously, over a decade ago, Richard Thompson of Cul de Sac briefly appeared. It's plausible there are a few more of them lurking, maybe even undercover posting. After all, there aren't that many places on the Interwebs dedicated to this particular art form, so if they want to take the pulse of their readership, we're one of the few options.

So, to any creators who are reading this: Hi there! :wave: Even if we regularly savage your strip, I'm still glad you're making it. (Unless you're Brooke McEldowney.)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves - a new story and a slight art change

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiggum posted:

This one has the feel of a long-held grudge. Something a teacher actually said to her at some point (the first three panels) and she's either just remembered it or just thought of a punchline to put in the comic.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Doesn't he live in an apartment over the garage? With its own entrance and bathroom and everything? Why is he taking a girl to his parents' living room?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
For the joke.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

loving kids never take full responsibility for the pets their parents got when they were babies.

Luann

Dang, Gun, you go on one date with somebody not your girlfriend and everyone acts like you're cheating. So unfair.

Bets was heartbroken, but as a person who lives her whole life on the stream she knew what she had to do and immediately crossposted the post from Stef's Snapgram to her own.

Gill Thorp

Home Free

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Dang Gun, you stand next to a female for a party photo and see what happens! There’s a reason Mother styles herself to look exactly like you, you know…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Dang, Gun, you go on one date with somebody not your girlfriend and everyone acts like you're cheating. So unfair.

Bets was heartbroken, but as a person who lives her whole life on the stream she knew what she had to do and immediately crossposted the post from Stef's Snapgram to her own.

Who is that Raggedy Ann? They've show up a few times now and I have no idea which of the regular characters it's supposed to be