Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

is there a uap sim yet? I'd like to pop in and out of the 3rd dimension in my orb as I please, if possible.

Carrier Command sorta has this? All of the aircraft are remote controlled drones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Vahakyla posted:

Time to come fly civilian sims with us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhAwpb5XYOQ

How does one get involved via MSFS? Is it possible to participate on Xbox?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Flux Wildly posted:

I believe there's no problem on the Xbox version, as long as you can take some screenshots. Get in the Air Goons discord server and report, if you will.
https://discord.gg/airgoons

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Flux Wildly posted:

Like Negostrike posted, Xbox is perfectly fine!

Pop into the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042524

From there you can post your interest and join the Air Goons Discord. If you don't use PC at all, phone works fine. You can then state what kind of missions you want to fly, or ask what is available. There's stuff for the free planes, both long haul mobility and shorter intel flights!

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Google Butt posted:

is there a uap sim yet? I'd like to pop in and out of the 3rd dimension in my orb as I please, if possible.

Interestingly, the original devs of Microsoft Flight sim did exactly that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0g7boutSxw

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!
I'm getting a honeycomb Alpha and Bravo delivered tomorrow and am all excited but have just realised that rudder/ground steering might be a problem. I don't have pedals, I've always just used twisty joysticks.
I'll probably get some eventually but it won't be for a while as I've just blown all this money on toy airplane controls.
Has anyone here used this combo or similar without pedals and what are my best options for doing without them in the meantime?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i got a 4090 and turned frame gen on it seems to have a p decent effect in fs2020. playing it 4k on a LG C2 now. i have to laugh this is like the first time ive seen the game look anything close to the ~2019 promo videos they released and all it took was a 2023 super computer.

of course still limited by main thread with an airliner 500 ft over LAX

looks amazing, but i have yet to actually play anything with it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Biblical loving posted:

I'm getting a honeycomb Alpha and Bravo delivered tomorrow and am all excited but have just realised that rudder/ground steering might be a problem. I don't have pedals, I've always just used twisty joysticks.
I'll probably get some eventually but it won't be for a while as I've just blown all this money on toy airplane controls.
Has anyone here used this combo or similar without pedals and what are my best options for doing without them in the meantime?

Just use Z and X or whatever.

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!

Sagebrush posted:

Just use Z and X or whatever.

Oh, yeah, hadn't even considered that tbh. I was thinking about trying to use an xbox controller one handed which seemed like it would be super awkward. Thanks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Would have been nice to have analog triggers or something on the yoke to give analog rudder control. I believe the Turtle Beach yoke does that.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
In two hours Heatblur will premier (probably not release but preorders) their F-4E Phantom for DCS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO9mDV7ZkVk

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Is there a study level or serious bizjet out there for FS2020? Thinking Citations, Gulfstreams, etc.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The default Citations are actually pretty good now, since WorkingTitle did a ton of work improving them and making various systems work the way they're supposed to.

Outside of that, there's a Hondajet that's supposed to be pretty good, but my understanding is that Gulfstream are incredibly picky about copyright infringement and licensing, so I'm not aware of any of those in the works.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A year since the 40th anniversary patch, and the Bell 407 in MSFS is still completely unflyable for me lol.

The collective goes from nothing to shooting up in the air like a rocket. The torque can at best only be countered at full deflection on the anti-torque pedal, no left turns for you.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
what are everyone's favorite small piston planes?

i really enjoy the cessna 337 skymaster from carenado, and i've also ended up with carenado's piper archer ii and arrow iii in an effort to get something similar to my friend's irl grumman tiger

the xcub that's included is really cool but i can't quite seem to figure out taildraggers in msfs

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
People really like the A2A Comanche.

I like the JPlogistics Cessna 152 mod too.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i have the justflight arrows but I feel like they lag the game sometimes. otherwise I just really like arrows

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

the milk machine posted:

the xcub that's included is really cool but i can't quite seem to figure out taildraggers in msfs

It's fine, MSFS can't seem to figure out taildraggers in MSFS either.

EDIT: I like the Cessna 310 released by the group I can't remember. Unlike the Carenado Seneca, it has semi-realistic OEI handling. The Seneca is nice apart from that one issue.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

skooma512 posted:

A year since the 40th anniversary patch, and the Bell 407 in MSFS is still completely unflyable for me lol.

The collective goes from nothing to shooting up in the air like a rocket. The torque can at best only be countered at full deflection on the anti-torque pedal, no left turns for you.

I’m not sure it’s 100% of your issues, but the default control binding and axis tuning for helicopters is loving atrocious garbage. I find the 407 perfectly flyable after sorting the controls out properly.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The Black Square Bonanza and Baron are good (note that you need the base game's Baron DLC if you want the BS Baron). Not a huge fan of how Bendix King analog instruments look nor their ultra-squashed attitude indicators but apart from that they're very nice products. They're also not available in the in-game store, which is a pity. You have to buy them from JustFlight's website.

The FlySimWare Cessna 414 also has a really sexy cockpit.

I used to play around with the Milviz/Blackbird Cessna 310R and the JustFlight Arrows but I kinda feel like they have been obsoleted by the products listed above. Of course, if you like those particular airplanes then they are fine too.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

skooma512 posted:

People really like the A2A Comanche.

I really like all of A2As stuff, but especially the comanche

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

EDIT: I like the Cessna 310 released by the group I can't remember. Unlike the Carenado Seneca, it has semi-realistic OEI handling. The Seneca is nice apart from that one issue.

It's from Milviz, which is now BlackBird simulations.

IIRC, the OEI handling is actually done by using invisible spoilers to add drag behind the scenes, since MSFS (at that point) didn't actually model drag from a windmilling prop, and I'm unsure if it's been added since then.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

PT6A posted:

God, isn't that the loving truth. I love taildraggers, but they drive me batty in this game because the ground handling physics for them are just shamefully bad. Even with mods meant to help, my beloved Beech 18 is a twin radial trainwreck in all phases of flight involving contact with the ground.

Maybe I just really suck at flying, but with 290 realtime sim hours in the Beech 18, my takeoffs and landings are still dicey, close-run affairs.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 10, 2023

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Great video form BeyondATC, showing under the hood how their engine mirrors the in-game world and handles pathing around LAX. Exciting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Z9Gq6Gx80

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^ Very impressive

What's that peripheral called that has physical knobs to use for radios, GPS controls, etc?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Those tend to be separate peripherals.
Saitek (now Logitech G) has a radio panel and a multi-panel (mostly autopilot controls) with LED displays.
VKB has a front switchboard module for autopilot stuff that's pretty nice, no displays.
There's this multi-use knob I saw a kickstarter for that seems to have been released.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FebrezeNinja posted:

Saitek (now Logitech G) has a radio panel and a multi-panel (mostly autopilot controls) with LED displays.
VKB has a front switchboard module for autopilot stuff that's pretty nice, no displays.
There's this multi-use knob I saw a kickstarter for that seems to have been released.

Did I see that some of these aren't compatible with some combination of the game and / or Windows 11? I thought I saw the Saitek one wasn't.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

FebrezeNinja posted:

This is neat. But I think you'd get more utility out of something like a Stream Deck+ with knobs for only $50 more or a Loupedeck.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

FebrezeNinja posted:

Thanks very much for that, but I could have swore I saw something that you could use more for G1000 controls, or did I dream it?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

slidebite posted:

Thanks very much for that, but I could have swore I saw something that you could use more for G1000 controls, or did I dream it?

https://realsimgear.com/products/realsimgear-g1000-suite-for-x-plane-p3d-and-fsx

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Speaking of absurdly expensive flying hardware. I didn't see this posted unless I missed it.
Looks like VirtualFly has come out with a new yoke in the past month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhRqjeO4hPk

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

xgalaxy posted:

Speaking of absurdly expensive flying hardware. I didn't see this posted unless I missed it.
Looks like VirtualFly has come out with a new yoke in the past month.

You had me at "longest shaft in the market"

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

lobsterminator posted:

You had me at "longest shaft in the market"

New thread title? :laugh:
You can tell the marketing team had fun with that one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's not what I had in mind but :stare:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Has there been any movement (:v:) in getting force feedback into yokes? Would be a big help with trimming aircraft.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Bentai posted:

Has there been any movement (:v:) in getting force feedback into yokes? Would be a big help with trimming aircraft.
There's a few out there but they are over 1k

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:hmmyes:

You know, I have like $8000 in RSU's from my job, that I get to sell in a few weeks.

I think i've asked this before, but are there any iPad OS app alternative?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

I said come in! posted:

:hmmyes:

You know, I have like $8000 in RSU's from my job, that I get to sell in a few weeks.

I think i've asked this before, but are there any iPad OS app alternative?

I found this:
PFD: https://apps.apple.com/bs/app/simionic-g1000-pfd/id501990787?platform=ipad
MFD: https://apps.apple.com/bs/app/simionic-g1000-mfd/id827464105?platform=ipad

It looks like its the same company that makes one of the force feedback yokes.
https://www.simionic.net/wordpress/g1000-apps/

So you're looking at a pair of iPads + $20 for the ipad software there.
So thats about half the price or a little less than getting that other thing.. but that thing has physical dials and buttons.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 13, 2023

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
This looks awesome and I hope it takes off mostly because I hope it spurs on these sim racing companies to product stuff for flight sim enthusiasts.

https://rogerrogerengineering.com
https://www.reddit.com/user/RogerRogerMain/comments/17gtrqw/as_a_simracer_youve_probably_considered_trying/

Converts a sim racing base and wheel into a flight yoke via locking mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Can’t wait to buy that to beat the argument of “I don’t want to play that, I don’t want to set up my peripherals” and then still never play racing or flight sims.