Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Rabite posted:

Speaking of Funeral directors, if you havent heard, apparently any sort of license or certification is not needed to practice in the state of Colorado!

Just have to clear out all those pesky rules to let the free market innovate. No way this could end up being problematic at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Anything that ends up being the subject of an episode of Last Week Tonight has to be good for capitalism.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Neito posted:

Anything that ends up being the subject of an episode of Last Week Tonight has to be good for capitalism.

That was coroners wasn't it? Which is kind of worse.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Fil5000 posted:

That was coroners wasn't it? Which is kind of worse.

Yeah, I fudged the border between them a bit for the joke.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Not sure if anyone knows what this could be a sign of. But when I lived in an apartment, I used to get mail addressed to the wrong person. I figured they were an older tenant who had moved and not told their bill collectors. Then when my wife and I moved in with in-laws, we kept getting letters addressed to that person at our new location. When we moved a third time, we are still getting letters addressed to this mysterious "LInda Fenwick". Most of them are letters like "Sell your house for cash" and stuff.

Could our identities be stolen by this Linda Fenwick?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Not sure if anyone knows what this could be a sign of. But when I lived in an apartment, I used to get mail addressed to the wrong person. I figured they were an older tenant who had moved and not told their bill collectors. Then when my wife and I moved in with in-laws, we kept getting letters addressed to that person at our new location. When we moved a third time, we are still getting letters addressed to this mysterious "LInda Fenwick". Most of them are letters like "Sell your house for cash" and stuff.

If I recall correctly the USPS will notify bulk senders when a mail piece gets forwarded due to a change of address, if the senders request it. The senders then update their databases with the new address without the person ever having to notify them.

If you look on the front of the letters, does it say "forwarding service requested"? If so that is probably the explanation.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

If you provided a change of address when you moved, and especially if she did not back in the day, it might have taken her along for the ride, and eventually the new address gets back to the spammers. I think changes of address are supposed to be by name, but maybe there was a hiccup.

Comedy solution: submit a COA for her from your address to the post office’s address.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Blue Moonlight posted:

Comedy solution: submit a COA for her from your address to the White House's address.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Become Linda

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The thing about Linda is, she sucks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

If I recall correctly the USPS will notify bulk senders when a mail piece gets forwarded due to a change of address, if the senders request it. The senders then update their databases with the new address without the person ever having to notify them.

If you look on the front of the letters, does it say "forwarding service requested"? If so that is probably the explanation.

Not quite. If you file a change of address form it goes into the National Change of Address database, which companies can pay to access. That's why bill collectors track you from place to place, and why junk mail can easily ramp up. I first learned of the existence of this when I worked in the mortgage industry and had a huge fuckoff hassle because of it - the mortgage was in both the husband and wife's name, his name was first on the mortgage, they split up and she kept the house, he moved out and filed a change of address form, she needed to get a mortgage modification because of the 2008 crash, we generated the documents and mailed them out, but because of the NCOA database it got mailed to him instead of her, and he was an absolute bastard and refused to forward the documents on to her. That incident made me look into it and learn how the system worked, and it is also why I haven't filed a change of address form since then. One nice side effect is I get way less junk mail and online people searches stop having my address updated since that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Change_of_Address

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

We are Linda.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Somehow Linda returned.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fr: Linda
Subject: Open this IMMEDIATELY RE: FBI

“Hello my daer, …”

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Professor Shark posted:

Fr: Linda
Subject: Open this IMMEDIATELY RE: FBI

“Hello my daer, …”

"Tahnks, you suck."

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not quite. If you file a change of address form it goes into the National Change of Address database, which companies can pay to access. That's why bill collectors track you from place to place, and why junk mail can easily ramp up. I first learned of the existence of this when I worked in the mortgage industry and had a huge fuckoff hassle because of it - the mortgage was in both the husband and wife's name, his name was first on the mortgage, they split up and she kept the house, he moved out and filed a change of address form, she needed to get a mortgage modification because of the 2008 crash, we generated the documents and mailed them out, but because of the NCOA database it got mailed to him instead of her, and he was an absolute bastard and refused to forward the documents on to her. That incident made me look into it and learn how the system worked, and it is also why I haven't filed a change of address form since then. One nice side effect is I get way less junk mail and online people searches stop having my address updated since that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Change_of_Address

lol but seriously thanks for the info, fuckin feds.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Checking my junk folder, I now see emails that tell me I both have a package waiting for delivery AND that I’ve won a gift card in the same email, like two tectonic scam plates overlapping

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I don’t know if you get them in the US, but the scam that involves breaking into your mobile phone provider account by using your one-time codes is quite fun to stall and waste time on if you’re so inclined. I managed to get a good 15 minutes out of one today as I was out for my lunchtime walk.

She kept triggering the OTP codes from my provider, and I read her random digits instead while changing the topic, but she just couldn’t bring herself to accept that I was messing around.

Eventually I insisted that the code was “123456”, at which point I got a bitter “go away, go to hell” before being hung up on. I burst out laughing and slapped my knee so suddenly that my Apple Watch asked me if I had just had a fall, offering to call an ambulance.

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 7, 2023

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Astounding username/post synergy

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

xposting

smilingfish posted:

I responded to a scam text message with the pig balls, the scammer got really mad.

smilingfish posted:

I have an update:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It's astonishing how suddenly aggressive they become, you see it on the reddit convo chats all the time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

It's astonishing how suddenly aggressive they become, you see it on the reddit convo chats all the time.

Because you've wasted their time, how dare you?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Yes
Oh, no
:)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I think you just wanted to send this photo to satisfy your inner joy

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ilmucche posted:

I think you just wanted to send this photo to satisfy your inner joy

Whatever the reason, I'm glad it was sent.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

Yeah I’ve noticed this for “scam busters” on yt and chat stuff- huge burst of pent up rage. Sometimes they can’t even contain themselves when they think they have someone on the hook who asks them to repeat what they said or something small like that- they just shriek-scream at them, then go back to their nice calm voice

I remember one video where the scammer has a back and forth with the buster after he’s realized he’s being messed with and the guy sounds either drunk or hosed up on something. I guess it’s possible they’re sitting around doing drugs? That or there is a lot of tension around scamming thousands of dollars out of someone, hoping their loved ones don’t ask who is on the phone

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A lot of the scams are basically run like sales call center businesses. The people doing the scamming make almost all of their income off of commission and have strictly enforced quotas. Since the businesses are organized crime rings they don't bother adhering to things like minimum wage rules and the penalties for missing quotas can range from zeroing out income to actually making the worker's income negative by charging the worker for the use of the equipment.

When the scammer realizes that they are being messed with the scammer is going from being excited about potentially making a lot of money to realizing that they are now at risk of losing a significant chunk (or all!) of what they've already earned for the pay period due to not hitting their quota.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Good.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's a really lovely job. Most of them are misadvertised so the people being hired don't know what they are getting into. Apparently in Singapore, a new tactic has been to recruit workers from overseas, advertising it as an entry level IT job and requiring an expensive upfront commission. The immigrants arrive having blown their money and are stuck there since they never get a proper work visa.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Sucks, they make the world actively worse and prey upon the elderly, infirm, lonely, and those new to technology. I have sympathy for their situation, I'm just also ok with it not working and them getting toyed with.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s the complete lack of care and corruption from law enforcement in these countries that makes it so annoying. There has to be a way of putting pressure higher up and telling them to get this poo poo sorted.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Because you've wasted their time, how dare you?

I had someone call my phone to offer me services for my website and I pretended I didn't know what the internet was. He told me I was being "Very mature, gently caress you" and hung up.

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah I’ve noticed this for “scam busters” on yt and chat stuff- huge burst of pent up rage. Sometimes they can’t even contain themselves when they think they have someone on the hook who asks them to repeat what they said or something small like that- they just shriek-scream at them, then go back to their nice calm voice

I remember one video where the scammer has a back and forth with the buster after he’s realized he’s being messed with and the guy sounds either drunk or hosed up on something. I guess it’s possible they’re sitting around doing drugs? That or there is a lot of tension around scamming thousands of dollars out of someone, hoping their loved ones don’t ask who is on the phone

Kitboga has more than a few videos of scammers in a frothing rage and breaking stuff near their workstation when he does his schtick. Usually redeeming the cards.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Neito posted:

I had someone call my phone to offer me services for my website and I pretended I didn't know what the internet was. He told me I was being "Very mature, gently caress you" and hung up.

When I still had a landline I'd get about three calls a week from "Windows" trying the scam where they get you to install remote access stuff and spyware and steal all your digital stuff. After months of this I finally said to one of them in a weary, weary voice "Look man, could you just take my number off this list? You guys call all the time and it's literally never going to work, it's a waste of your time". And the guy loving LOST it at me. "gently caress you, we're going to call you a hundred times a day", poo poo like that. They didn't, the calls continued at the same rate, and we just kept hanging up on them. What a waste of time.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I have definitely seen interviews with (non immigrant) scammers who are very clearly proud to be ~beating the system~, making more than a drone in a non-criminal call centre, and sticking it to mr moneybags (retired) from the first world.

I mean for sure they're in a precarious commission based job working for actual serious gangsters, but, as long as they got their bonus rolex, they'd made it for now and told themselves they were swashbuckling netrunners

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Neito posted:

Kitboga has more than a few videos of scammers in a frothing rage and breaking stuff near their workstation when he does his schtick. Usually redeeming the cards.

Have you seen the new video on the system he created to frustrate scammers and waste their time? It’s beautiful. He makes the scammers think they’ve succeeded by giving them a supposed code for bitcoin. When they try to redeem it, they get a slow as hell progress bar that eventually errors out, and tells them to call a helpline. The wait time is like 80 minutes, and then it randomly dumps the caller into a plausible recording, mimicking a support tech unable to hear the call, or a transfer to a voicemail. Then it asks for the caller to take a survey on how their experience was.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have t watched his videos in a while but that sounds amazing- is it a recent one?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Domus posted:

Then it asks for the caller to take a survey on how their experience was.

:master:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I always find it deeply ironic that crime orgs re invent bureaucratic structures .

some npr program had a bit about romance fishing, and the "retention dept"/ crime peeps trying to keep a person(this was a woman that turned into a scam buster herself) on the hook, like trying to spin a new story about why they cant meet or a new reason/coincidental tragedy why they need money. (oh no my son got sick please give me $X).

there's a non zero chance some of these romfishers use plots from trashy rom books as ideas.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

I always find it deeply ironic that crime orgs re invent bureaucratic structures .

some npr program had a bit about romance fishing, and the "retention dept"/ crime peeps trying to keep a person(this was a woman that turned into a scam buster herself) on the hook, like trying to spin a new story about why they cant meet or a new reason/coincidental tragedy why they need money. (oh no my son got sick please give me $X).

there's a non zero chance some of these romfishers use plots from trashy rom books as ideas.

Just pretend I posted the scene from The Wire where all the criminals are using Roberts Rules of Order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the wire is still on my watch list backlog so i have no greater context of the clip I just looked up.

but the leader seems smart and right so Im not sure if the meta politics in episode or season was right or wrong. good product is good fundamentals.