Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
In what way has the U.S. "paid dearly" for it?

Also in no way is this hampering the U.S. ability to send military aide to Israel as much as I wish that were the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

The Top G posted:

Nobody is gonna “win” this war, everyone involved paid dearly for it.

If you are a geopolitical rival of russia and got to pay pennies on the dollar to have russia grind itself to dust and inspire most of the developed world to join in on crippling sanctions, yeah you win

The issue at play is a lot of people want Ukraine to win too

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Is there a consensus about how the Russian economy is doing now and in the medium-term?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/11/08/media-us-congress-approves-bill-on-transfer-of-russias-frozen-assets-to-ukraine/

quote:

The House Committee on Foreign Affairs of the US Congress has approved a bill on using confiscated Russian assets to aid Ukraine, UkrInform writes.

The bill authorizes the Secretary of State to provide additional assistance to Ukraine using frozen assets from Russia’s central bank and other sovereign assets of Russia.

The legislation requires the Secretary of State, in consultation with USAID, to assess Ukraine’s most urgent needs for reconstruction and security within 180 days of enactment.

The bill also makes returning any confiscated Russian assets impossible until Russia provides compensation to Ukraine, according to US Representative Michael McCaul who introduced it for consideration.

“We need a plan for victory as soon as possible, one that ensures that the US is not shouldering this burden alone. So that is why I introduced (…) this bipartisan and bicameral legislation that demands that Biden’s administration transfer frozen Russian sovereign assets to Ukraine. It’s time that Russia starts paying for the war that it started,”
the official said during the hearing.
The bill now awaits further consideration by the US Congress.

So a bill has been proposed to secure funding for Ukraine by confiscation of frozen Russian assets. Would be interesting to see if this makes it. Not many R's should be against this except the known suspects.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

small butter posted:

Is there a consensus about how the Russian economy is doing now and in the medium-term?

They do all sorts of things like crazy accurate industrial emissions rate tracking by satellite to analyze the economic fundamentals of the nation that made itself an economic pariah, got disentangled from its carefully curated energy supply traps in Europe, and evaporated the vast majority of its soft power in a span of months while also obliterating much of its own manpower and sparking brutally heavy brain drain

Most conclude: its pretty rear end, even by their own standards

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

spankmeister posted:

https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/11/08/media-us-congress-approves-bill-on-transfer-of-russias-frozen-assets-to-ukraine/

So a bill has been proposed to secure funding for Ukraine by confiscation of frozen Russian assets. Would be interesting to see if this makes it. Not many R's should be against this except the known suspects.

I understand that redirecting frozen assets is legally challenging; how is this resolved?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Discendo Vox posted:

I understand that redirecting frozen assets is legally challenging; how is this resolved?

I'm assuming by the time-honored legal principle of "lol what are you going to do about it"

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

The Top G posted:

2) “Allying with Western Europe”, meaning what exactly? If it’s “Joining NATO” obviously Ukraine hasn’t, and likely won’t.
3) Several European countries are struggling to cope with the economic effects of the war, most notably Germany. The conflict in Ukraine absorbed much of the available US resources, limiting its ability to assist its sly Israel in the current Gaza “conflict”. Cutting off Ukraine in the middle of their war, leaving Zelenskyy publicly begging for continued support isn’t really gonna generate any goodwill for the US

2 - https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/news_218847.htm. NATO certainly disagrees with you, as they are working to expedite the membership process, which is not a fast one in the best of cases and wouldn’t go forward while the conflict is on in any case.

3 - The US currently has two carrier battle groups supporting Israel and zero supporting Ukraine… the same number that was supporting Ukraine on October 6.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

The Top G posted:

2) “Allying with Western Europe”, meaning what exactly? If it’s “Joining NATO” obviously Ukraine hasn’t, and likely won’t.
3) Several European countries are struggling to cope with the economic effects of the war, most notably Germany. The conflict in Ukraine absorbed much of the available US resources, limiting its ability to assist its sly Israel in the current Gaza “conflict”. Cutting off Ukraine in the middle of their war, leaving Zelenskyy publicly begging for continued support isn’t really gonna generate any goodwill for the US

The "stop Ukraine from allying with Western Europe" can indeed be interpreted in several ways. In all of them, Russia has failed its objective.

Obviously stopping Ukraine from allying "the West" serves a purpose, ie keeping them well within Russia's sphere of influence and ensuring that nobody intervenes if they go for another round of genocide. The idea is clearly to make Ukraine sort of a Belarus that is an outcast from the West and entirely dependent, politically and economically, from Russia.

- Obviously,the fact that Ukraine has been fighting tooth and nail so far, with aid from the West, means this objective has failed. Russia cannot easily waltz in a military to kill uppity protestors nor to decapitate a regime that would refuse to play second fiddle to Russia. Furthermore the collective West, especially the EU and its population, has fully embrace Ukraine as "Europeans" in the broad sense of the word who deserve and need our help (with various levels of commitment across Member States).
- Ukraine is poised to join the EU. Even without joining NATO, the EU has a mutual defence clause (never invoked, but to be honest, neither has NATO's ever been) and, importantly, it solidifies Ukraine as being "on of ours" to the Europeans. It is impossible to definitively tie Ukraine to Russia, economically speaking, when it is part of a single market with Germany and France.
- Ukrainian public opinion has absolutely shifted against them ever wanting to consider themselves "Russians" or even "little Russians" under some pan-slavic brand of nationalism. Ukraine's national consciousness includes resistance against the Russia invader and oppressor. The days of pan-slavic nationalism in Ukraine are over, if they weren't already in 2014.

I'm not sure how Russia has prevented Ukraine from allying with Western Europe in any meaningful sense of the word.

As for your point 3), the USA could financially and militarily support both Israel and Ukraine if it wanted to (but Israel honestly does not need any military aid other than having America waving its big fleet around to dissuade any neighbours from intervening in the Gaza conflict). The only problem is that apparently Russia has kompromat on a bunch of US politicians and talking heads, who are all very loud and very stupid.

Anyway, I doubt Europe's economic can be solved by dropping support for Ukraine, and as mentioned before, they are on track to have Ukraine joint he EU + investing (too late, and too little, IMHO, but still investing) in military materiel for Ukraine, especially sorely-needed artillery shell production. That's not behaviour by a union that intends to hang out Ukrainians to dry any time soon.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean I think at this point it is, outside very improbable circumstances Russia "winning the war" where Ukraine out of no where collapse, unless you count a made up Putin goal he said he accomplished on some sort of ceasefire, I think if your counting on win as in "better off" that both losing is a very real possibility if the war goes on for 5-10 years and major international support dries up. Where Russia still ends up with a chunk more territory in Ukraine's East but ends up worse in pretty much all other ways.

I mean all this going back to war often being very stupid and being generally very terrible.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm assuming by the time-honored legal principle of "lol what are you going to do about it"

All money is made up and based on some weird faith in it for value. Doing that without the proper rituals (people in suits yelling at each other) would people storing cash in the US (or any nation), no? Sort of like how you don’t buy bonds from China someone on this site said.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

dr_rat posted:

I mean I think at this point it is, outside very improbable circumstances Russia "winning the war" where Ukraine out of no where collapse, unless you count a made up Putin goal he said he accomplished on some sort of ceasefire, I think if your counting on win as in "better off" that both losing is a very real possibility if the war goes on for 5-10 years and major international support dries up. Where Russia still ends up with a chunk more territory in Ukraine's East but ends up worse in pretty much all other ways.

I mean all this going back to war often being very stupid and being generally very terrible.

Even if everything comes out Putin from now on, Russia "winning" the war now looks far worse than the US "winning" the Iraq War.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

From a purely cynical perspective, it's wrong to say there are not winners. Russia's geopolitical rivals have won big and continue to win big from the collosal weakening of the Russian war machine and soft-power apparatus. There's lots of little conflicts world wide that are likely to tip in a different direction now Russia can no longer commit as many resources to supporting one side.

Anyone actually participating in the war though, yeah there's only different shades of losing.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Latest video from Anders Puck Nielsen talks about the current media climate re Ukraine, which right now is heavily affected by the situation in Israel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UluV9n2LtL4

To me it feels like there are two very different separate things, how the war is actually going on the ground in Ukraine and how it's being talked about in the (western) media; and damned if I know how close the latter perception is to the former actuality. There was Zaluzhnyi giving a rare interview where he seemed to be saying Ukraine needs more aid to properly win, which kinda also sounded like it'll be an eternal stalemate; not much progress has been made recently which reinforces this; and then Israel takes all of everyone's attention so this vague idea of stalemate remains.

Personally I'm not too worried on Ukraine's behalf right now; but over winter things might change, if Russia manages to terrorise the civilian infra more effectively with missile & drone attacks, and as we go into next year hopefully Ukraine's ammo supplies (mainly 155 mm ammo I guess) will remain sufficient, though with EU production who knows if that will be sufficient.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's a fair point, which is why I took care to define victory in terms Russia itself set at the beginning of the invasion. see https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028717&pagenumber=362&perpage=40&userid=0#post535807470
I wasn’t calling you out even though my post followed yours. You were good at posting your definition/interpretation. People like MikeC and daslog (and other posters leaning to a more „doomster“ outlook) are very often not.

But this vagueness towards defining winning or losing plays a big role towards interpreting battlefield results.

If everything short of a total Ukrainian military victory (total control of all territory, total destruction of any and all Russian forces in Ukraine, collapse of the Russian imperialist dreams) is a loss, then the results of the Ukrainian summer offensive are extremely concerning. The currently failing Russian Avdiivka offensive would actually support that as it shows Russia is nowhere near collapse.

On the other hand, if Ukraine maintaining its independence is an Ukrainian victory, then the Avdiivka offensive shows that Russia is completely unable to threaten victory that through military means. They have lost hundreds of AFVs trying (and failing so far) to take a tiny sliver of fortified land. Ukraine has a lot more areas just as or even more fortified that Russia would have to take.

And as the beginning of the war showed, just breaking through the frontline does not mean you are no longer threatened - it opens you to new threats. There is a reason Russia pulled back all the way around Kiev, Chernihiv, Sumy, Mikolaiv, etc. It wasn’t that they were facing well-entrenched Ukrainian mechanized forces backed by modern MLRS and artillery employing cluster ammo.

The supposedly flagging support for Ukrainian continuation of its self-defense that people like MikeC like to point out at is something that is due to the reality of a longer, slugmatch of a war with advances on both sides measured in meters per day that we currently have making a quick Ukrainian military victory seem out of reach. It is not at all directed at abandoning the continued defense of Ukraine’s right to defend its continued existence. However, some people (mostly right-wing populists or left-wing anti-imperialists) seem to think that Russia would be willing to sign a white peace of some kind and that Ukraine is the side prolonging the war at great cost to itself in order to achieve a total victory.

However, the simple fact of the matter is that Russia has so far shown zero inclination to accept anything short of an impossible total victory. Until that changes, Ukraine has no other option except to continuously strive to achieve a total victory itself. Because either Russia accepts that it can’t achieve total victory or is confronted with the physical reality that it has no realistic means with which to threaten Ukraine.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jaete posted:

Latest video from Anders Puck Nielsen talks about the current media climate re Ukraine, which right now is heavily affected by the situation in Israel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UluV9n2LtL4

To me it feels like there are two very different separate things, how the war is actually going on the ground in Ukraine and how it's being talked about in the (western) media; and damned if I know how close the latter perception is to the former actuality. There was Zaluzhnyi giving a rare interview where he seemed to be saying Ukraine needs more aid to properly win, which kinda also sounded like it'll be an eternal stalemate; not much progress has been made recently which reinforces this; and then Israel takes all of everyone's attention so this vague idea of stalemate remains.

Any official Ukrainian spokesperson is going to be asking for more aid no matter how much they have; there's no such thing as enough in a war like this.

Right now it does seem like a stalemate for the present but I'm curious about what's happening at the dnieper crossing.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

small butter posted:

Today's economist.com briefing:

quote:

In 2022 hydrocarbons kept Russia’s economy on its feet. Despite sanctions imposed by Western countries after the invasion of Ukraine, the economy only contracted by 2%, less than almost anyone had predicted. Yet 2023 has brought further challenges. Lower oil prices—coupled with the G7’s “oil-price cap”, which restricts what buyers can pay for Russian exports—have dealt a heavy blow. Vladimir Putin’s decision to cut gas supplies to Europe has also hurt the economy.

Figures released on Friday are expected to show that Russian inflation rose again, to an annual rate of around 7%. As exports have fallen, demand for the rouble has declined. A weaker currency is, in turn, raising the cost of imports. Russia’s economy is not yet in crisis: it is probably growing, albeit slowly. Still, Russia’s problems are mounting. Mr Putin seems determined to keep financing the war regardless. The latest budget will boost defence spending by nearly 70% in 2024.

Medium term probably depends a lot on what happens to oil prices. If the world dips into recession and oil prices dive, they're going to be in trouble. If they stay at current levels the war is sustainable, although at the expense of cutting spending in other areas and creating substantial long term economic challenges whenever war spending eventually decreases.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any official Ukrainian spokesperson is going to be asking for more aid no matter how much they have; there's no such thing as enough in a war like this.

Right now it does seem like a stalemate for the present but I'm curious about what's happening at the dnieper crossing.

There is very good reason to believe it is a stalemate.

A traditional rule of thumb is that defence enjoys a 3:1 advantage over attack, if the opponents are equally matched in terms of skill and equipment.

Russia might currently have inferior ground combat vehicles and is losing its quantitative advantage in artillery, but they still have superior:
  • fixed wing and rotary aviation
  • air defence
  • missile arms
  • electronic warfare
Russia is also closing in on the advantage Ukraine held in drones and combat engineering and despite all the jokes about Russia losing vessels to a country without a navy, Russia still has a navy while Ukraine doesn't.

The last point is important because not only because is Ukraine a smaller country with a smaller pool of reserves, but the remaining Russian navy and terror bombing are blockading Ukraine's economy.

This doesn't mean restoring Ukraine's territorial integrity is impossible. It does however require NATO & friends to mobilize some of their economic and technological might in a way that hasn't been done since the end of the cold war. :effort:

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

saratoga posted:

Today's economist.com briefing:

Medium term probably depends a lot on what happens to oil prices. If the world dips into recession and oil prices dive, they're going to be in trouble. If they stay at current levels the war is sustainable, although at the expense of cutting spending in other areas and creating substantial long term economic challenges whenever war spending eventually decreases.

.... unfortunately that means their best buddy Iran has an additional strategic incentive to spike oil prices by escalating conflict in the Middle East. Not saying they will do that, that would also physically threaten Iran a good deal, but I could see Russia discussing the options they have together with this in mind.

While the counteroffensive failed to achieve its goals this year, I still wouldn't call this a stalemate by any means. Russia is dumping men and tanks trying to take Avdiivka, which has on average been gaining them more ground there, and also rapidly depleting their resources. Ukraine is countering with a landing operation in Kherson which so far seems to be going well. Both of these are changing the strategic shape of the battlefield each day, which I'd say excludes the definition of a stalemate.

The US needs to figure out if it wants to be a vaguely reliable ally to anyone for the foreseeable future and renew their support, or this definitely could become a stalemate in 2024. But it seems at the moment Ukraine has enough gas in the tank to keep things moving. Just not in the salient near Tokmak like everyone was expecting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Orthanc6 posted:

The US needs to figure out if it wants to be a vaguely reliable ally to anyone

I don't think any other country can actually trust that it can, honestly. The foreign policy changes every couple of years depending on who gets voted into office, and landing on someone like Trump is just playing Numberwang with foreign policy. Heck, you'll even have different branches of the government performing their own independent foreign policy at the same time.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Germany seems to continue to have trouble signing military procurement contracts.

https://www.ft.com/content/95d47316-b357-4fc3-b25d-34645eef8abc

quote:

Germany is struggling to sign defence contracts because of uncertainty over the government’s commitment to future funding plans, chancellor Olaf Scholz has admitted, as he pledged to “guarantee” hitting Nato spending targets for the next decade and a half.

Speaking to military officials, industry executives and think-tanks at a conference organised by the defence ministry on Friday, the chancellor said he recognised the urgent need for his government to clarify its security spending plans in the medium and long terms.

“Procurement processes can only be planned and implemented sustainably if the Bundeswehr can rely on [future funds],” Scholz said.

Finding the money to enable increased defence spending will be “a great political task”, he added, but one the government was already working on.

Following Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, Scholz’s government pledged a Zeitenwende or “turning point” in Berlin’s attitude to defence and committed to hitting the Nato benchmark of military spending equivalent to 2 per cent of gross domestic product.

That pledge has sat uncomfortably with Germany’s tightly constrained fiscal situation. A constitutionally enshrined “debt brake” limits public debt to 60 per cent of GDP, meaning vast increases to the defence budget, as pledged, will strip funding for other politically sensitive departments.

A workaround was found last year with the creation of an emergency €100bn “special fund” to top up military spending.

Dispersals from the fund mean Germany is on track for the first time ever to hit its 2 per cent target in 2024 and 2025 — around €85bn in each year. But with the fund forecast to be fully disbursed soon after that, many in the defence sector fear the government is struggling to grasp the scale of the budgetary hole that will be exposed.

According to the German Council on Foreign Relations, a think-tank, the annual defence funding shortfall could amount to up to €40bn from 2028.

However, Scholz committed Berlin to meeting the Nato spending target well into the next decade.

“We will guarantee this 2 per cent permanently, throughout the 2020s and 2030s,” Scholz said on Friday.

“I say that very consciously because of course some of the things ordered now will be delivered in the 2030s.”

The chancellor’s remarks hint at the possibility of the 2 per cent benchmark being written into German legislation, or even the constitution.

The pledge could also raise tensions within government. Germany’s hawkish finance minister, Christian Lindner, a member of the liberal Free Democrats, one of the three parties in Scholz’s coalition government, has expressed strong support for big increases in military funding, but has said he cannot support an expansion of government spending overall.

Other government budgets would thus face severe cuts if the 2 per cent defence target is to continue to be hit. That is likely to sit poorly with the Greens and Scholz’s Social Democrats, and the departments they control.

“We will solve it in such a way that the Bundeswehr gets the resources it needs — even after the special fund expires,” Scholz said on Friday.

The chancellor highlighted two joint military projects with France: the MGCS programme for a new generation of tanks; and the FCAS programme to develop a future fighter aircraft, which is potentially Berlin’s most expensive defence procurement venture.

Both projects have been beset by delays and squabbling with Paris, but Scholz said they remained at the centre of German future defence plans.

“We have advanced the FCAS fighter aircraft project with France and Spain and will now quickly also advance the MGCS main battle tank project under German leadership with France,” he said.

I'm not really sure how this impacts the big guys like Rhienmetall, who are already have rosey projections about future production. I wonder if they will the same stumbling blocks like US production once they actually start gearing up.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I swear, Russian tanks could be rolling across the East German plain and Scholz would be saying, "Yes, but will we need this much defense spending in five years?"

Not that my country is much better with one of two parties actively saying, "Actually totalitarianism is good also democracy is a terrible way to run a country."

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Russia is also closing in on the advantage Ukraine held in drones and combat engineering and despite all the jokes about Russia losing vessels to a country without a navy, Russia still has a navy while Ukraine doesn't.

The last point is important because not only because is Ukraine a smaller country with a smaller pool of reserves, but the remaining Russian navy and terror bombing are blockading Ukraine's economy.
It’s extremely weird pointing out the Russian navy as a positive for them. After all, Ukraine never had a navy during the war, and at first didn’t even have any way to hit the Russian navy except for a tiny number of a just developed and still in the process of being deployed 200km max range ground-based anti-ship missile - which only really saw a single successful use in the entire war. For a good part of the war Russia enjoyed complete supremacy over the Black Sea. Regularly patrolling off the shore of Odessa, occupying any islands they wanted to, and mining any and all sea lanes they wanted to.

Since then Ukraine has severely attrited the Russian navy, is regularly attacking Russian ships all over the Black Sea, has reopened shipping lanes despite Russian attempts at stopping them, has lead to the relocation of numerous Russian ships to „safer“ areas, has retaken various islands and plattforms in the Black Sea, etc. And it has done all of this with comparatively tiny investments, tiny number of people, and using a lot of home-grown capabilities.

The Russian Navy has basically been reduced to launching long range cruise missiles at Ukraine and otherwise staying as far away from Ukraine as possible in harbors protected by extensively expanded defenses.

The Navy is basically the part where the Russian military has probably lost the largest proportional advantage over Ukraine.

Orthanc6 posted:

The US needs to figure out if it wants to be a vaguely reliable ally to anyone for the foreseeable future and renew their support, or this definitely could become a stalemate in 2024. But it seems at the moment Ukraine has enough gas in the tank to keep things moving. Just not in the salient near Tokmak like everyone was expecting.
The problem is that there is a small but significant part of the Republican party and base that doesn’t give a gently caress about any of that and is willing to burn everything to the ground. The question is if the rest of the US is willing to let them do that (signs point to no, but only actually doing something after enough is on fire to realise that they actually are willing to burn everything down).

Luckily for Ukraine they aren’t 100% dependent on the US. Unluckily for Ukraine (and the world), the US has the largest economy, military, and MIC, so even smaller hiccups can have an outsized effect.

WarpedLichen posted:

Germany seems to continue to have trouble signing military procurement contracts.
https://www.ft.com/content/95d47316-b357-4fc3-b25d-34645eef8abc
I'm not really sure how this impacts the big guys like Rhienmetall, who are already have rosey projections about future production. I wonder if they will the same stumbling blocks like US production once they actually start gearing up.
The German defense sphere is still in the middle of doing a 180 on the developments of the last 30-odd years. Just on Thursday the Defense Ministry released its updated defense policy guidelines (updated from 2011 or 2016 depending on strictness - there are two guidelines, one done independently by the defense ministry, one done in cooperation with the rest of the government; this is the one done independently) coupled with a small restructuring of the ministry. The new defense guidelines are basically a concretisation of the Zeitenwende announced by Scholz last year. It is basically a challenge by the defensive ministry to the rest of the government and the political establishment as a whole to make good on their statements over the last year and a half.

Expect a lot of back and forth and controversial public discussion about all of this. However, this is a good thing, as German politics is a lot more consensus based in comparison to the US. The worst part is when nothing is heard in public, as that means nothing is happening.

That all said, there has been a good amount of movement in regards to military procurement since Pistorius took over as Minister of Defense in January. His predecessor did basically nothing, which basically meant a wasted year.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 11, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That's the system working as designed. The conservatives put measures into the constitution that ensure the German state gets starved more and more as time goes on. As pension subsidies smother its budgets any current and future government gets paralised and is unable to react to crises without heavily cutting into social services (except pensions of course).

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Oh yes, I wanted to adress that part of the article as it is factually wrong.

In 2009 the CDU and the SPD - with comparatively little opposition - changed the constitution so that federal states are not allowed to have a deficit and the federal government is limited to a deficit of 0.35% of GDP. Exceptions are allowed for special circumstances (like Corona). That is why there are thing like the special 100 billion Euro fund for rearming the Bundeswehr, as they don’t can help to work around that limit.

Changing the constitution isn’t that difficult, but it does require a two thirds majority in both houses of the German state - basically a consensus of the political establishment. The revocation of the „debt brake“ has a lot of support, but not enough yet to meet that bar.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

DTurtle posted:

It’s extremely weird pointing out the Russian navy as a positive for them.
---
The Navy is basically the part where the Russian military has probably lost the largest proportional advantage over Ukraine.

To be crystal clear, I'm not saying the Russian black sea fleet is a good naval fighting force. I'm saying it is still a navy that can enforce a naval blockade of Ukraine.

As evidenced by the many ships headed to or from Russian Black sea ports, Ukraine cannot return the favour.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

To be crystal clear, I'm not saying the Russian black sea fleet is a good naval fighting force. I'm saying it is still a navy that can enforce a naval blockade of Ukraine.

As evidenced by the many ships headed to or from Russian Black sea ports, Ukraine cannot return the favour.
That Ukraine is incapable of of imposing a naval blockade of Russia is completely irrelevant for discussing the state of the war. If it were to ever become relevant, that fact would by itself say everything needed to be said.

Your map literally shows a ship just outside Odessa and at least one other heading that way. Checking marinetraffic, the ship outside Odessa is a tug, while the ship heading north is a grain carrier heading towards Odessa. Unsurprisingly, it last reported its position 17 hours ago.

However, this still means that Russia is no longer capable of enforcing a total blockade of Ukraine. Despite the grain deal having ended in July, Ukraine has continued exporting grain. Granted, it isn’t open trade like before the war, but it is a far cry from the days Russian warships literally sailed in sight of the coast near Odessa.

Further proof:
https://twitter.com/OlKubrakov/status/1722565168222077098

quote:

#Ukrainian_Corridor: vessel traffic continues both to and from the ports of Big Odesa.

6 vessels with 231K tons of agricultural products on board have left the ports of Big Odesa and are heading towards the Bosphorus. 5 vessels are waiting to enter ports for loading. Traffic along the #Ukrainian_Corridor continued despite russia's systematic attacks on port infrastructure.

Since August 8, 2023, 91 vessels have exported 3.3M tons of agricultural and metal products, and 116 vessels have called at the ports of Odesa, Chornomorsk, and Pivdennyi.

The defense forces are doing everything possible to counter russian attacks on port infrastructure. The world has already realized that there are no principles of international law for this aggressor. We are grateful to our partners for their support with air defense.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 11, 2023

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Orthanc6 posted:

.... unfortunately that means their best buddy Iran has an additional strategic incentive to spike oil prices

Oil is ~25% of their entire government's revenue and a matter of survival. Compared to that I don't think Russia's well being (to the extent that they even care who wins in Ukraine beyond how they can profit from it) is really a factor.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Looks like Ukraine sank two more Russian ships

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-naval-ships-sank-black-exploding-sea-drones-ukraine-operation-2023-11

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

The story of the russian navy in this war is probably coming up on the point where it's really actually debatable if even having the navy there was more benefit than cost, because they keep having to sink all this manpower and money and defense tech into maybe not having these ships get blown to gently caress, and, well

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Staluigi posted:

The story of the russian navy in this war is probably coming up on the point where it's really actually debatable if even having the navy there was more benefit than cost, because they keep having to sink all this manpower and money and defense tech into maybe not having these ships get blown to gently caress, and, well

Also it seems their trying to repair a bunch which, like the damage some of them got, and how much doing massive repairs on ships cost, particular when it comes to some of their expensive internal weapons/comms/what not tech, that's like not cheap. Not going to break the bank for Russia of course. But you know a bill you really wouldn't want to pay.

Also with some of those systems, is there just some stuff they wouldn't be able to replace? I assume they can get a lot of stuff through Chinese back channels and what not, but that also comes with a big premium. While China may want Russia to win for all that multi-polar politics stuff, I can't recall them actually gifting Russia anything. Mostly their support as far as I've read seemed to be just allowing trading channels to be open and turning a blind eye to a lot of stuff.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

would probably serve Ukraine's interests better than their own if they started dropping serious cash on equipment replacements for the boats still allowed to be in the region, they aren't doing much of use anymore besides being giant liabilities they got to move around a lot

above all the other poo poo we learned about the vaunted russian military and how broke down ratty it got, their navy ships sure feel like they stand alone as examples of how internally corroded the entire nation was

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
There was some twitter buzz about Ukraine not having build secondary defensive lines around Avdiivka and with geolocated footage of Russians in Stepove (not holding it) I'm beginning to fear that this is going to turn out like another Bakhmut. Russians seem intent on pushing no matter the cost. If I'm remembering right the supply roads are in lowlands and it won't require much more distance before it's a huge problem. Ukraine has an industrial area to mount a defense from so it shouldn't be easy for Russia.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

DTurtle posted:

That Ukraine is incapable of of imposing a naval blockade of Russia is completely irrelevant for discussing the state of the war.

Although Russia is (mostly) cut off from the European market, it still has plenty of channels with which to fund the war (it runs a 15.9 B trade surplus). Combined with the political will to keep the war going despite the horrific cost gives Russia endurance Ukraine might not have (due to a 2.7 B trade deficit and an economy 70% of the prewar one).

This is why I think General Zaluzhny is correct in being concerned that Ukraine can't afford a war of attrition. This is reflected in Ukraine prioritizing attacks on the Russian navy and forces in Crimea over the Eastern theatre.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Staluigi posted:

The Russian navy has been very useful for them in launching missiles on Ukrainian targets, providing air defense, transporting equipment, and blockading Ukrainian ports. Every ship sunk hurts the Russian ability to do these things.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
EU Says Highly Unlikely It Will Meet Ammunition Pledge to Ukraine (paywall though)

This was already known before I think. Frustrating for sure.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Although Russia is (mostly) cut off from the European market, it still has plenty of channels with which to fund the war (it runs a 15.9 B trade surplus). Combined with the political will to keep the war going despite the horrific cost gives Russia endurance Ukraine might not have (due to a 2.7 B trade deficit and an economy 70% of the prewar one).

This is why I think General Zaluzhny is correct in being concerned that Ukraine can't afford a war of attrition. This is reflected in Ukraine prioritizing attacks on the Russian navy and forces in Crimea over the Eastern theatre.
This in no way addresses any of the points made in my post. Especially the part of my post you quoted.

So again: If we ever get to the situation where we are discussing Ukraine imposing a blockade on Russia then Russia is completely hosed.

On the other side, we started the war with Russia imposing a total blockade on Ukraine and regularly steaming up and down the coast of Ukraine. We are now in a position where (a limited number of) normal cargo ships are semi-regularly sailing into Odessa loading cargo and exporting it and Russian navy ships are being regularly attacked, damaged and sunk throughout half or more of the Black Sea.

And this despite Ukraine never having, and still not having a navy. The navy is probably among the areas where Russia has lost the greatest proportional advantage over Ukraine of any part of the military.

Again, Russia has gone from complete and total supremacy to mostly hiding in heavily defended ports and only steaming out for short stints in larger groups for fear of destruction. How you can point out at that and seemingly view it as a positive for Russia is a complete mystery to me.

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?
Ex-Nato chief proposes Ukraine joins without Russian-occupied territories

Interesting proposal - essentially creating a No Fly Zone over the majority of Ukraine, allowing the AFU to continue to push and retake their lost territories.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Does Russia have the political will? Nevermind that a trade surplus/deficit really doesn't indicate much at all for the war, how does any of this favor your position at all?

Like you've completely avoided touching the other points that you were revealed to be very obviously wrong about once someone called you out, so it doesn't seem like you are particularly confident in your position or points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DTurtle posted:

On the other side, we started the war with Russia imposing a total blockade on Ukraine and regularly steaming up and down the coast of Ukraine...

And this despite Ukraine never having, and still not having a navy. The navy is probably among the areas where Russia has lost the greatest proportional advantage over Ukraine of any part of the military.

To this point here's a wikipedia accurate list of Russia's current black sea navy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_Russian_Navy_ships
The ones highlighted in yellow are the ones mostly "in repair". If you look at it, there is still a formidable navy and yet despite this...

Ukraine managed to make all that not only not an asset, but to make it something that's doing no good and requiring resources to protect and repair.

Hell of an achievement.