Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah that's fair. I butcher animals in my garage with a hacksaw and use garbage bags to maintain a 'clean' workbench surface. Probably cleaner than a lot of unregulated commercial butchers.

E: what a terrible snype. Here's a pig

peanut posted:

Often they get this one instead, for sadness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

[Walks into America in the morning.]

God DAMMIT!

Who closed last night?!

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
The first video on youtube.com desktop is now always an ad.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

evobatman posted:

I bought a Sony TV and amplifier in 2011 that worked perfectly with digital broadcast TV and game consoles. There was sports on TV, the TV would change to Sport mode and the amplifier would switch to stadium mode - which wasn't ideal for chess, but it worked. There was a movie on TV, the TV switched to cinema settings and the amplifier switched to theatre sound. Turning on my PS3 and PS4 switched the TV and amp to game mode. Play something with Dolby sound, the amplifier switches to Dobly. Play something with DTS sound, amplifier switched to DTS. Everything worked with the TVs remote over HDMI CEC, and I could use it to control the TV, amplifier and game consoles. I would go on forums and laugh at the morons who thought CEC was bad and couldn't get it to work because my setup was so perfect.

Then in 2018 I decided to upgrade to 4K, and bought a Samsung TV and Onkyo amp. It's been hell since then trying to get everything to work together. Everything has to be unplugged 1-2 times per month just to reset so everything will talk to each other again over CEC. You have to tell the amp what every sound format is, so that it doesn't accidentally play an atmos track through a DTS decoder or a Dolby 5.1 track in stereo mode. When I turn on my PS5, I can play for a couple of minutes, and then my android box turns on and steals the input.

I was really excited for how my 2011 setup could possibly be better when I decided to upgrade, and this was the answer.

I watch TV (not really, youtube mainly) on my 24" monitor from 2007, for sound I have a 1980s amp and some scrap speakers that don't match, including one pretty large speaker from the 70s. I am pretty satisfied with it all things considered.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Virigoth posted:

Jellyfin is poo poo everyone please ignore it so it doesnt get enshitiffies dies horribly and is not used by anyone

I switched to Plex from Jellyfin just to get something that wouldn't stop working randomly. One day my jellyfin server was just unreachable by TV and that was that. Maybe its better now but ill wait until plex blows up to find out.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://nitter.net/ThePeterBriggs/status/1722736671144165824

https://nitter.net/Atencio/status/1722718315704095169

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

I don't know whether to believe this or assume it's just a marketing hype ploy

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

DrPossum posted:

I don't know whether to believe this or assume it's just a marketing hype ploy

Why would the guy who brought us Honey Boo Boo and the Duggars, changed HBO to Max and said they're going to stop focusing on prestige television in favor of reality tv, and wrote off then permanently destroyed the footage of the finished Batgirl movie for an insurance payout be using this as a marketing ploy?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

MrQwerty posted:

changed HBO to Max and said they're going to stop focusing on prestige television in favor of reality tv,

You’re saying Max is going to be reality TV focused? Lmao. I might not be a normal consumer but I’ve never watched any reality TV in a subscription on demand format in my entire life.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Internet Old One posted:

You’re saying Max is going to be reality TV focused? Lmao. I might not be a normal consumer but I’ve never watched any reality TV in a subscription on demand format in my entire life.

I don't even understand how this would work, they're edited to be like 40% cliffhangers that segue into ad breaks. Wouldn't people watching them on streaming services recognize that they are completely devoid of content and only exist as a vehicle for advertisers?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Cena was involved? Maybe this could get some sort of backlash to this horrible loving practice.

Really feel like there some sort of additional scammy layer to this One Cool Trick that’s being pulled.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

teen witch posted:

Cena was involved? Maybe this could get some sort of backlash to this horrible loving practice.

Really feel like there some sort of additional scammy layer to this One Cool Trick that’s being pulled.

It's the taxes. Write off a 50 million dollar film to reduce 50 million in profits from another more successful one, or release both and pay taxes on 70 million in total profits. Somehow it works out to more money writing one off. Also something about stretching the writeoff over a decade or something, offsetting profits for years to come.

Our tax code has been used to incentivize certain spending to the point that the incentives overlap, contradict, and obscure each other. It's a monster.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 10, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I don't even understand how this would work, they're edited to be like 40% cliffhangers that segue into ad breaks. Wouldn't people watching them on streaming services recognize that they are completely devoid of content and only exist as a vehicle for advertisers?

all David Zaslav understands on this subject is that he got the financial capital and clout to purchase WB with Discovery by elevating Honey Boo Boo and the Duggars to money printing status, he's also the one behind the directive to turn CNN into a Fox News competitor.
The first thing he did in that plan was make the executive producer of Colbert's Late Show the exec in charge of CNN, make him do that town hall with Trump, and then fired him a few days later due to backlash for poo poo he made him do.

He will continue to permanently destroy major movies and media companies for insurance and tax writeoffs as long as it continues to line his pocketbook.

He's also why WB keeps selling rights for stuff that was on and owned by HBO Max to other streaming services and permanently removing it from his own companies' service.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 10, 2023

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I remember reading an article about some grifter or another and thinking they could have earned the same amount of money with less effort by doing the more moral option, but insurance claims and tax writeoffs was how they learned to make money "and it works". So now we get to watch these M&E/PE groups trash productive companies for immediate profit. "Beause it works."

Meanwhile I have to fight Microsoft™️ SwiftKey©️ AI to even type this post, when just two phones ago it practically read my mind.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 10, 2023

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

For like 10 years the US clothing store/product line "Express" (maybe now it's called Men's Express, or they split the men/women's section?) was my go to "affordable but decent quality work clothes and suits" store. Like every pair of slacks, button-up shirt, and suit jacket came from there since 2012. You could get clearance stuff for like 50% a lot because it was "out of fashion", and I used to buy several pairs of good quality slacks for like $50 each and they'd last years. They also regularly had "slim fit" versions of shirts which fit my narrow frame perfectly.

The last two pairs of pants I bought there lasted about 5 months before the lining on the inside just shredded apart and the hems at the bottom started unraveling. I got two nice dressy short-sleeve summer shirts from them in April and one of them promptly just lost a button and the other started having the fabric at the base of the shirt just crumple up. And those shirts were like $60 each.

gently caress them, I may finally just make the move to getting a tailored outfit for my important work clothes.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

For like 10 years the US clothing store/product line "Express" (maybe now it's called Men's Express, or they split the men/women's section?) was my go to "affordable but decent quality work clothes and suits" store. Like every pair of slacks, button-up shirt, and suit jacket came from there since 2012. You could get clearance stuff for like 50% a lot because it was "out of fashion", and I used to buy several pairs of good quality slacks for like $50 each and they'd last years. They also regularly had "slim fit" versions of shirts which fit my narrow frame perfectly.

The last two pairs of pants I bought there lasted about 5 months before the lining on the inside just shredded apart and the hems at the bottom started unraveling. I got two nice dressy short-sleeve summer shirts from them in April and one of them promptly just lost a button and the other started having the fabric at the base of the shirt just crumple up. And those shirts were like $60 each.

gently caress them, I may finally just make the move to getting a tailored outfit for my important work clothes.

I once had a business professor back in the mid 2000s who previously worked negotiating with retailers on behalf of manufacturers. He told us a story about an underwear manufacturer he represented that desperately wanted to get into Wal-Mart and were willing to sign an exclusive contract with them to make that happen.

But that's when the screws started turning. Every year Wal-Mart would insist on lower and lower prices per unit, and since Wal-Mart was their only buyer they had no choice but to comply. First the manufacturer did layoffs to compensate, then they moved their production to China, and when they could no longer cut labor costs they started cutting down on the thread count of the underwear until they turned into paper thin pieces of poo poo that would fall apart in a few months.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Why do you think there are no ad breaks ?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Advertisers Don’t Want Sites Like Jezebel to Exist

quote:

The 'Brand Safety' and 'Suitability' industries have financially crushed the news business by keeping ads away from articles that its 'sentiment analysis' algorithms think will make people sad or upset.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

Why would the guy who brought us Honey Boo Boo and the Duggars, changed HBO to Max and said they're going to stop focusing on prestige television in favor of reality tv, and wrote off then permanently destroyed the footage of the finished Batgirl movie for an insurance payout be using this as a marketing ploy?

This is also the same guy that ruined classic discovery channel and history channel and sci fi channel. He’s been destroying good movies and television as long as most of us have been alive.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

euphronius posted:

Why do you think there are no ad breaks ?

I've been out of the streaming game a long time, I forgot that "ad-supported" subscription packages are even a thing now. loving lol at paying $10 a month for anything that comes loaded with advertisements.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

A lot of people think that the oligarchs are incompetent and breaking things because they don't know what they're doing, but the super-rich have seen the demise of capitalism coming for decades and they're looting everything they can to set themselves up as feudal lords in a collapsing civilization.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Woolie Wool posted:

A lot of people think that the oligarchs are incompetent and breaking things because they don't know what they're doing, but the super-rich have seen the demise of capitalism coming for decades and they're looting everything they can to set themselves up as feudal lords in a collapsing civilization.

Better rule in hell than serve in heaven made flesh

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Modal Auxiliary posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFtl2XXnUc

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

is pepsi ok posted:

I once had a business professor back in the mid 2000s who previously worked negotiating with retailers on behalf of manufacturers. He told us a story about an underwear manufacturer he represented that desperately wanted to get into Wal-Mart and were willing to sign an exclusive contract with them to make that happen.

But that's when the screws started turning. Every year Wal-Mart would insist on lower and lower prices per unit, and since Wal-Mart was their only buyer they had no choice but to comply. First the manufacturer did layoffs to compensate, then they moved their production to China, and when they could no longer cut labor costs they started cutting down on the thread count of the underwear until they turned into paper thin pieces of poo poo that would fall apart in a few months.

Yeah, but have you considered that for a handful of years shareholders and C-Suite execs got huge payoffs for this decision?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

He's also why WB keeps selling rights for stuff that was on and owned by HBO Max to other streaming services and permanently removing it from his own companies' service.

So that’s what there’s a bunch of random HBO shows suddenly on Netflix here! I really don’t understand why Band of Brothers is suddenly just on Netflix despite it being deeply associated with HBO.

Has another brand done something similar and seen any success? I’m not understand the endgame outside of more reality shows and there are only so much you can cram into a streaming service. Like I know “short term profit NOW!!!!”, but come on

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

teen witch posted:

Like I know “short term profit NOW!!!!”, but come on

That’s where their thinking begins and ends

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

teen witch posted:

So that’s what there’s a bunch of random HBO shows suddenly on Netflix here! I really don’t understand why Band of Brothers is suddenly just on Netflix despite it being deeply associated with HBO.

Has another brand done something similar and seen any success? I’m not understand the endgame outside of more reality shows and there are only so much you can cram into a streaming service. Like I know “short term profit NOW!!!!”, but come on

There were Marvel shows on Netflix that went to D+ permanently, but I think that was a preset contractual deal.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If someone bought a theatre then said we’re only go to show cat videos then tell employees to start ripping poo poo off the wall and put it in his van, then turned off the water and refused to pay the janitors, people would say that guy is loving the theatre up on purpose

But because he’s a ceo, he’s making some “major changes”

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

I absolutely hate that poo poo will randomly start playing as a preview when I'm browsing for something to watch.

This happens on multiple streaming sites/apps, but YouTube is the worst. That poo poo shows up in my history if I hover too long in one spot.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Professor Shark posted:

If someone bought a theatre then said we’re only go to show cat videos

This might not be a bad idea. Imagine AI-upscaled keyboard cat on the big screen.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Modal Auxiliary posted:

That's why you fill your premium streaming service with as many ads as the fucker can handle. DUH!!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

This is exactly what I imagine ad-free reality television to look like, well done M&W.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kaiju15 posted:

I absolutely hate that poo poo will randomly start playing as a preview when I'm browsing for something to watch.

This happens on multiple streaming sites/apps, but YouTube is the worst. That poo poo shows up in my history if I hover too long in one spot.

On Firefox, the Clickbait Remover for Youtube extension disables these, replacing them with the choppier version from some time back, which doesn't count as viewing. (It also mainly exists to replace thumbnails with a frame from the video itself.)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's this more than anything that permanently put me off this kind of television. These shows can never relax. Or, there's only 5 minutes of content, and 23 minutes of airtime to fill.

I'm not sure if this editing technique is designed for live broadcast TV, where you want to hook channel surfers who find your content in the middle of a show, or for people who aren't paying attention to what they're watching and value repetition. You know, couch + iPad types, elderly folks who are slipping a bit... I'm sure you can think of a few more types.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Kaiju15 posted:

I fired up some app and my wife complained I was going too fast. I told her I have to go that fast or it starts playing a preview and expands so wide I can't keep focused.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is often a setting to turn off the autoplay poo poo, but the setting resets itself pretty frequently.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I just grabbed a printer for $10 at my local Savers, poo poo works great and still has ink in it. When I no longer need it I'll drop it off at the same exact Savers, probably still with ink in it.

I can understand buying a new laser jet for your business or whatever, but I have no idea why anyone would buy a new one for personal use when there are just loving piles of barely-touched inkjet printers at every thrift store in the country.

Every single inkjet printer I've ever seen at a op shop needs new cartridges, which is uneconomical and that's why someone "donated" it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Letterboxd is a fantastic site for keeping track of movies I've watched and comparing film interests with other people but its biggest flaw is that its a social media platform, which means the absolute dumbest poo poo gets pushed to the top because of upvoting and likes and poo poo. The top 50 rated reviews for any film are just going to be weird fuckin memes or references or jokes. You really have to look hard to find poo poo of substance -- it's there but it's going to be buried under bullshit.

It didn't used to be this way but it's been getting dumber and dumber every year. It doesn't help that over the years their Facebook account has gone from talking about films to posting memes because memes definitely get more engagement. I used to be a fan of what I guess one might call Extremely Specific Lists, but letterboxd people have gone to making single-entry "lists" just to make a fuckin joke, and I hate it. It's basically the same joke I like making, but done so lazily that it defeats the entire setup, and their dumb Facebook social media manager capitalizes on it because people can't get enough of The Dumbest loving Lowest Effort Humor.

I honestly don't know how wikipedia has fared so well.

credburn fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 11, 2023

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

doctorfrog posted:

It's this more than anything that permanently put me off this kind of television. These shows can never relax. Or, there's only 5 minutes of content, and 23 minutes of airtime to fill.

I'm not sure if this editing technique is designed for live broadcast TV, where you want to hook channel surfers who find your content in the middle of a show, or for people who aren't paying attention to what they're watching and value repetition. You know, couch + iPad types, elderly folks who are slipping a bit... I'm sure you can think of a few more types.

I edit TV (not in this genre thankfully) and there's an industry term they use, "signposting". Generally, you spend a month or more on your own with the director (or edit producer) making a show that flows nicely and everything story wise that you're trying to communicate is clear, then you send it to the channel where the commissioner who paid for the show watches this first cut. Commissioners do vary but generally speaking they are one of two things:

almost comically dumb and/or delusional about the idea they themselves liked and decided to commission

of normal intelligence but assume the audience for their channel to be slope-skulled cro-magnons

Either way, your feedback/changes to make will look like this:
- some matters of taste like voiceover script word choice and nuance, or music choice
- 800 requests for "signposting" aka "wait, why did this scene start after the other one finished? can we explain in VO that it's a different place and time now?" "how can we be sure the audience understands he's dead after he falls in the industrial chum grinder? can we cut to a stock shot of a gravestone?"

and then depending on the clout and will of the executive producer or director (who don't work for the channel, but for the production company, so are at a disadvantage), you do some of the requested changes and for the others, patiently explain that editing is when you move in time and space between camera shots and it will not disorient the audience. Similar discussions will happen about story points.

After many years in this job I've concluded that they just assume anything made for TV is going to be consumed while making dinner, wrangling children or in some kind of submental haze.

That M&W sketch's final joke is another industry term - the production company credit is "False Jeopardy Productions". "False jeopardy" is the term for the "and time's running out!!" or "will they get the door closed?!" poo poo to try and increase drama. It's another constant demand (again there are exceptions) from channels. Like poo poo you commissioned a show about portrait painting, what the gently caress jeopardy do you expect? That's where you get *gasp! dramatic music sting* He's smudged his cadmium yellow into his pthalo blue!

False jeopardy has been so overused that of course it doesn't loving work if it ever did, and it's now at the point where I was making a show recently where there WAS actual, real time pressure over the 6+ weeks of shooting, but every time we mentioned it in VO it felt fake because it's been so abused that we all as viewers instantly understand it to be false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I love it when I search for something on Google, it shows me a preview of image results on top of the main page, then I click on GIS and it loads a page of completely different images that are much worse and barely related to my search terms.