Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Crack out the lead paint too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I am suddenly reminded of an incident that occurred in a much older iteration of this thread where some goon chipped a tooth and used green stuff to reform it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Or the guy that used roadkill for basing material.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I've actually had the idea of using a small fox skull to make a sick chaos warhound

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It would be way better in essentially every possible way to just get a 3d print or replica of one to use.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I mean, would it though?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BadLlama posted:

I mean, would it though?

Yeah

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

BadLlama posted:

I mean, would it though?

I mean I can only warn people, feel free to repeat all my mistakes on your own time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It would be less sick.. in the sense that I would feel less sick seeing/smelling it

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Super Waffle posted:

I've actually had the idea of using a small fox skull to make a sick chaos warhound

Here you go.

Professionally cleaned and ready for use as a teaching or anatomy specimen. Way easier than cleaning one yourself. Skulls won't have any kind of smell if they're properly cleaned, but it is a pain to do right. Fox skull is pretty big, might be better off using something like a mink or something similar. They have skulls of all kinds there.

They sell replicas too but they're more expensive than the real thing.

Rhandhali fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 10, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Rhandhali posted:

Here you go.

Professionally cleaned and ready for use as a teaching or anatomy specimen. Way easier than cleaning one yourself. Skulls won't have any kind of smell if they're properly cleaned, but it is a pain to do right.

They sell replicas too but they're more expensive than the real thing.

No.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

Bury it, put some rocks or something on top to make it harder for scavengers to dig out, then leave it alone for 6 months.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

and while you're at it, give it some real human teeth for that extra Chaos je nais se quois.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I have a bleached mink skull lying around for decades that I cleaned as part of some school project once. I don't play knights, but maybe I could use it for terrain.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Please either 3d print or purchase plastic equivalents of animal skulls, bones, etc. This is a warning from 40k Threads Past.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Is there a chemical like plastic cement, but for bones?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I have some decorative skulls and I do not think that you should use real bones that were once alive for your miniatures. Seems kinda tactless, I guess? It's not like it's too hard to find a "good enough" plastic equivalent.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Athas posted:

Napalm?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

drat yall it was just an idea

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

goons, the avatars of nurgle.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Super Waffle posted:

Most animal skulls are probably just too big, they're a lot bigger than you might think from photos

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

When can we order the battleforce boxes? is it 1pm?

Eastern of course

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
There's no judgement in brainstorming, goons

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

When can we order the battleforce boxes? is it 1pm?

Eastern of course

xtothez posted:

They sent out that email when UK pre-orders went up at 10am BST, but USA & Canada can't order until 10am PST.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

yeah so 1pm EST

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Time zones beyond GMT/UTC is a mystery to me. v:v:v

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Super Waffle posted:

Someone throw red paint (Mephiston or Khorne) on this guy’s avatar! :mad:

Just kidding. I think everyone thinks about how it’s be cool every so often, but even done right it’s still not recommended

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Athas posted:

There's always hydrofluoric acid but just use super glue and Halloween decorations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I think even baking soda in basing is a hazard; I've read accounts about it yellowing over time and then eventually liquifying and turning the base to sludge. This doesn't seem to apply when used as a superglue accelerant as that's a chemical change, but it does apply when using it as filler for snow bases.

(This is inconsistent so there's probably temperature/humidity factors at work for when/if it happens.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 10, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Please either 3d print or purchase plastic equivalents of animal skulls, bones, etc. This is a warning from 40k Threads Past.

What is the issue? I use bones a ton in my art practice, I've never really had any issues. They have all been professionally processed though, I don't do that myself. I want to, to cut my costs, but I'm not there yet.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Athas posted:

Ya know I'm sure this was something Jeffery Dahmer also wondered when he was planning out his Temple of Skulls.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Just buy a few packs of bluestuff and make moulds for miliput bones.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Virtual Russian posted:

What is the issue? I use bones a ton in my art practice, I've never really had any issues. They have all been professionally processed though, I don't do that myself. I want to, to cut my costs, but I'm not there yet.

this is perhaps a more charitable reading than the squeamish nerds in this thread acting like animal bones are too icky deserve... but... how much do you trust that a random warhammer player has done more than rinse off some roadkill in the kitchen sink?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The grossness of your average nerd overwrote the knowledge that the use of animal bones has been part of human art since we figured out how to chase down a deer and hit it in the head with a rock

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The conversation started with a random bit of detritus that might or might not have been asbestos.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

One word: ants

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Assessor of Maat posted:

this is perhaps a more charitable reading than the squeamish nerds in this thread acting like animal bones are too icky deserve... but... how much do you trust that a random warhammer player has done more than rinse off some roadkill in the kitchen sink?

I mean fair, but man, bones are pretty cool. As a bonus, they aren't plastic!

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

One word: ants

We had a beetle colony for these purposes in the biology department.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm almost done with the ork ship, just need to finish the sails and add rivets. I think I'll just use canvas for the sails. Initially I was planning a full wind look, but if this thing is flying downwards I need to opt for a different position for the mast, plus the flags on the back will need to be in a different orientation as well.

After I finish that stuff and prime it I'll take a photo.
It's... Too big to fit in my dinky light box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of kitbashing, today I used sewing thread as wire for a tiny demolition charge. But I definitely need more tech gubbinz for future projects.