Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

veni veni veni posted:

How would the new series land for someone who thinks the original Frasier loving sucks, but watched every episode at least 2 times for some reason?

How would anyone answer that question lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

veni veni veni posted:

How would the new series land for someone who thinks the original Frasier loving sucks, but watched every episode at least 2 times for some reason?

it wont land at all, we both know the only reason to watch the original series was david hyde pierce.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

All the reasons why the original series sucked all exist in the new one, with none of the reasons it didn't.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The new one has sustained and pervasive sexual harassment as well?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

so far a medium amount of sexual harassment I would say

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

hours later I am still fascinated by this question

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

hours later I am still fascinated by this question

Like it's so insane right

Why did he even ask if hes cursed to watch every episode of Frasier multiple times, dragged kicking and screaming into the inevitability of tossed salad and scrambled eggs, crying out to the heavens "what is a boy to do"

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wolfsheim posted:

Like it's so insane right

Why did he even ask if hes cursed to watch every episode of Frasier multiple times, dragged kicking and screaming into the inevitability of tossed salad and scrambled eggs, crying out to the heavens "what is a boy to do"

Come now Frasier. We mustn’t brunch to conclusions *beams at the audience*

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Frasier rules

https://vimeo.com/220997873

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Blue Eyed Samurai was added to Netflix recently and it goes hard. Definitely goes for a Tarantino vibe.

6 episodes in and I'm having a great time with it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just some grumbling about streaming:

Wanted to watch Paris, Texas. Couldn't find that it was available to stream (for free) anywhere and wanting to save the $3.59 for the rental, I picked the bluray up from the local library. Started watching it last night, made it 54min 26seconds into the movie before the disc stopped playing. Spent 45min cleaning the disc, trying it in my various other players, considering whether I should make a copy of it onto my computer then stream it from Plex. That will take an hour at best, assuming that drive can even read it. Say gently caress it, pay the $3.59 to rent it so I can actually watch the rest of the movie the same night. (Great movie.)

Anyway, today I am ranting to a friend and they say, see if your library has access to Kanopy. They don't, but the place I work for does. Hey look, Paris, Texas, for free! Could have just watched it there from the get-go!! Kanopy does not seem to show up on any kind of "can I stream it?" lists anywhere.

I loving hate playing the "where can I watch <thing> game" every single time. :argh:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sirotan posted:

Just some grumbling about streaming:

Wanted to watch Paris, Texas. Couldn't find that it was available to stream (for free) anywhere and wanting to save the $3.59 for the rental, I picked the bluray up from the local library. Started watching it last night, made it 54min 26seconds into the movie before the disc stopped playing. Spent 45min cleaning the disc, trying it in my various other players, considering whether I should make a copy of it onto my computer then stream it from Plex. That will take an hour at best, assuming that drive can even read it. Say gently caress it, pay the $3.59 to rent it so I can actually watch the rest of the movie the same night. (Great movie.)

Anyway, today I am ranting to a friend and they say, see if your library has access to Kanopy. They don't, but the place I work for does. Hey look, Paris, Texas, for free! Could have just watched it there from the get-go!! Kanopy does not seem to show up on any kind of "can I stream it?" lists anywhere.

I loving hate playing the "where can I watch <thing> game" every single time. :argh:

Kanopy used to be on Justwatch. It's possible they removed it because not everyone has access to the same library. I get Kanopy through my employer and my library. Depending on which login I use, certain things are available or not available.

The "where can I watch this" problem sucks. You're right. There have some attempts to fix this. I know with the Apple TV app you can search for a show or movie and it will tell you what apps you have installed it can be streamed from, and then open them. It still needs a lot of work, and it also depends on if the app allowed itself to work with the TV app.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Kanopy shows up on Letterboxd’s “where can I watch” interface, and I have never had a case where it says something is on Kanopy and my library doesn’t carry it or something. Maybe I am just lucky?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Brocktoon posted:

Kanopy shows up on Letterboxd’s “where can I watch” interface, and I have never had a case where it says something is on Kanopy and my library doesn’t carry it or something. Maybe I am just lucky?

This is what I get when looking at Paris, Texas:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.justwatch.com/us/provider/kanopy

It still shows a lot of kanopy content - it's not unusual to be broken for individual shows/movies; either missing something totally or linking to the wrong thing that shares a name.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

Depends on what the institution subscribes to.

I also noticed something new. When I use my employer login, it's all you can eat.

When I use my library login, I get 30 'tickets' a month. Movies cost different amounts of tickets to watch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think this is the best thing Kelsey Grammer has done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu-BqOsvj00

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Did anyone see the Julia Childs movie with David Hyde pierce. Dude is ancient now. Hope he has a nice and long retirement

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

A MIRACLE posted:

Did anyone see the Julia Childs movie with David Hyde pierce. Dude is ancient now. Hope he has a nice and long retirement

The guy's my dad's age yet looks 20 years older.

Ouch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

He should play old evil loki

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Richard E Grant but he's dubbed by Pierce.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Sirotan posted:

This is what I get when looking at Paris, Texas:

That’s what I see on Letterboxd, and when I log into Kanopy and search Paris, Texas is not available, so I dunno. *shrug*

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Depends on what the institution subscribes to.

I also noticed something new. When I use my employer login, it's all you can eat.

When I use my library login, I get 30 'tickets' a month. Movies cost different amounts of tickets to watch.

It used to be that you got 10 plays a month and each video was either 1 play or free. They just changed to the ticket stuff on Nov 1.

I also just want to say, maybe it’s my particular library, but Kanopy rules. They always have a bunch of smaller movies I can’t find anywhere else for non-rental. I end up using almost all my credits every month.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

It used to be that you got 10 plays a month and each video was either 1 play or free. They just changed to the ticket stuff on Nov 1.

I also just want to say, maybe it’s my particular library, but Kanopy rules. They always have a bunch of smaller movies I can’t find anywhere else for non-rental. I end up using almost all my credits every month.

Kanopy does indeed rule. They have poo poo from Criterion, A24, Kino Lorber.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Don't sleep on hoopla, which is a separate library streaming app. Worse interface but a lot of stuff from golden harvest.

Also, my kanopy has a "kids" option that had a lot of animated picture books from scholastic which was really lovely when my kid was a certain age.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I wanted to like The Killer on Netflix. It has a great start, it's a sprint from the start to the end with little or no down time where characters explain the plot to you or develop it artificially, the guns are dangerous, the fist fighting is grueling but also fun to watch, and then...the ending is bad. Why on earth wouldn't he kill the billionaire after all of that? He knocks off the secretary and the cab driver, who were just doing their jobs, but leaves the guy who actually wanted all of it done because...the rich guy pretended not to understand the ramifications of what he was paying for? I must have missed a line of dialogue somewhere. I'd still recommend watching it, but click "play" before you see too much of the preview Netflix forces you to watch.

Devil in Ohio on Netflix was just bad. It's a limited series about a girl who escapes from a cult out in rural Ohio and is taken in by a psychiatrist whose family starts to notice odd things about her. It's supposed to be a thriller or a spooky show, but it looks like an episode of Bones and Emily Deschanel plays her character from Bones. Maybe I just don't like Bones. I will accept that too.

I Came By, also Netflix, has a pretty predictable setup, but goes in a slightly different direction than you might think. Not really in a surprising plot device kind of way, more like a "what the gently caress are you doing" sort of thing. I saw a lot of missed opportunities, but at least it's filmed like a horror movie and not lit like an episode of a sitcom like Devil in Ohio was. I really can't tell if it's bad, I was done with it halfway through but fans of British...well, anything, may not be able to stop watching. The scariest part was when I realized UK police don't need a warrant to search your house and the rights they read you include the line "you don't have to say anything, but it may hurt your defense if you don't." Yikes. At least American police pretend, they don't just come right out and say it.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

He literally says cops actually care about rich dudes who vanish / get killed so he can’t handle him like all the rest.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

buffalo all day posted:

He literally says cops actually care about rich dudes who vanish / get killed so he can’t handle him like all the rest.

That would be what I missed. I hate it

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Re: The Killer, I feel like there was plenty of time for the assassin to take a second shot instead of giving up. I’m pretty sure they show him loading a full clip into the gun.

Afterwards why did he go home like the expert mentioned? What happened was his fault. Maybe that’s the point? Idk…it didn’t really click with me, but the hand to hand combat scene was good as gently caress.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The Killer ruled but i saw it in a real theater before it hit streaming so I was forbidden by my poster's honor from bringing it up until now. Best Agent 47 movie ever

I also saw Riders of Justice recently and it loving rocked, its like a siller, less focused spiritual sequel to Another Round in that its a Danish movie starring Madds Mikkelsen going through a midlife crisis surrounded by a group of friends experiencing the same. Also it takes place at Christmastime so it has some nice holiday whimsy to it

And finally, I saw Body of Lies and it was incredibly boring and a jarring reminder that Ridley Scott misses just as much as he hits. Were there any good action thrillers about the War on Terror?

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 12, 2023

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Re: The Killer, I feel like there was plenty of time for the assassin to take a second shot instead of giving up. I’m pretty sure they show him loading a full clip into the gun.

Afterwards why did he go home like the expert mentioned? What happened was his fault. Maybe that’s the point? Idk…it didn’t really click with me, but the hand to hand combat scene was good as gently caress.

I think part of that is the point, like he sees himself as this perfectly in-control ephemeral observer untouched by the human experience but the second he messes up one thing he panics and makes a bunch of mistakes in a row. The ending monologue is basically him accepting that he's just some guy. Real Fincher metatextually scrutinizing himself poo poo lol

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Lots of Tubi hype in this thread so I have to ask, is it just the lovely implementation of Google TV on my TCL TV or is it the most crash-prone streaming app out there? I watched Fury Road today, and the app crashed at virtually every ad break, half of those times time forgetting where I was in the movie. One of the times, it caused my entire TV to reboot (a sentence that still feels weird to type).

As I sit here and my TV was just displaying a slideshow because I left Tubi on the main menu for a while, it seems like Tubi crashed, rebooted, and started playing a new movie by itself. It's completely unhinged.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

No issues on the Roku or the Xbox

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It was weird that the guy who waits a week in biting cold to get his target and has a reputation for creative kills gets ambushed and have to brawl with his target because he decided to kill him with a handgun at night in his home. And after making the dog bark up a storm at that.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Dammit, I didn't realize it was a David Fincher movie and now I'm obligated to like it, I take back everything, it's a serenade to a nihilistic generation that's been betrayed again and again regardless of their past hard work and creativity, Fincher is a master painter of shadows and half-light and the urban phantasmscape is his canvas

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Fools Paradise is sick dude

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

buffalo all day posted:

I like how this philosophy trickles down to some of the other kills. The lawyer is a rung lower on the scale, so while he can be killed, the body has to be carefully disposed of. But then contrast this to a secretary or a taxi driver, whose bodies can just be left where they lay.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

ymgve posted:

It was weird that the guy who waits a week in biting cold to get his target and has a reputation for creative kills gets ambushed and have to brawl with his target because he decided to kill him with a handgun at night in his home. And after making the dog bark up a storm at that.

That seems intentional though, he continually does exactly what he says not to do, more egregiously as the movie goes on. How many times does he repeat "stick to the plan, don't improvise, only fight the battle you're paid to fight" and then immediately disregard those instructions. He hosed up and it was made personal against him so he is making it personal in return. It ends with him calling himself one of the many, in contradiction to him saying earlier about how it's imperative to be one of the few.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Netflix crashes by far the most on my Roku TV. It also crashes the hardest, to where sometimes I have to unplug the whole thing and plug it back in. Max crashes the second most, and when it does it just kicks me back to the home screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Roku's don't multitask, when you hit the Home button it terminates the current app, except for the Netflix app which is always loaded. I assume there's some kind of deal where in order for Roku to get the Netflix app at all they had to provide performance guarantees or something.

Having said that, I've never had the Netflix app crash on Roku.