Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

xzzy posted:

I tried it because I happen to have a random usb-c to hdmi adapter but apparently it's not compatible because it refused to recognize any signal.

Also the app is kind of cheesy, it has a dumb unskippable startup chime whenever you go into the documentation and it pretends to be an old CRT when disconnected. Which I guess isn't that bad, but it's kind of a weird vibe.

Also, $5 to unlock 4k mode and CRT emulation.

I don't understand why it works this way, but it needs to be a capture card, not just an adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Anyone use Orion?

"Orion turns iPad into your portable external HDMI Monitor"

It's free but you need a USB-C HDMI capture card.

I got a cheap capture card to try using it as a display for my Switch and it works pretty well so far. I'm not sure how fast it'll drain the ipad battery, though, and I haven't worked out how to get passthrough charging working with it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Khizan posted:

I got a cheap capture card to try using it as a display for my Switch and it works pretty well so far. I'm not sure how fast it'll drain the ipad battery, though, and I haven't worked out how to get passthrough charging working with it.

the critical thing for me would be the latency

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I don't understand why it works this way, but it needs to be a capture card, not just an adapter.

I guess I can kind of understand it. Either it'd be bandwidth related or apple just didn't put in drivers for hdmi input. Looks like most of the capture adapters are limited to 1080p so bandwidth seems like a good guess.

Annoying but whatever, it was worth a try.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I have both Orion and Genki Studio and used them both to play my Xbox using the iPad as the display. Genki was free and felt like the latency was lower. I preferred Genki.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My old iPad Pro 10.5" has been getting kind of creaky recently. I don't know if iPads will throttle themselves when the battery degrades as there's no "Battery Health" feature in settings lke on iPhones - and so I don't know if it's something that just getting a battery replacement would fix.

Anyway, most of my usage of the iPad is for rhythm games these days so 120hz is basically a necessity. Am I stuck with having to look at other iPad Pros or has the base range of iPads finally got this feature? I don't really fancy spending too much, which is why I was hoping a battery replacement would be enough.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Biodome posted:

I have both Orion and Genki Studio and used them both to play my Xbox using the iPad as the display. Genki was free and felt like the latency was lower. I preferred Genki.

Genki watermarks the screen if you're not using their own capture card, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

My old iPad Pro 10.5" has been getting kind of creaky recently. I don't know if iPads will throttle themselves when the battery degrades as there's no "Battery Health" feature in settings lke on iPhones - and so I don't know if it's something that just getting a battery replacement would fix.

Anyway, most of my usage of the iPad is for rhythm games these days so 120hz is basically a necessity. Am I stuck with having to look at other iPad Pros or has the base range of iPads finally got this feature? I don't really fancy spending too much, which is why I was hoping a battery replacement would be enough.

The Air has really good specs but not a 120hz refresh screen 😔

iPad 11” pro is a good bet, if you only need 128GB it retails for $1000 new.

I think the most recent Pros are worth it for the M1 chip, although you can probably find a decently priced 11” 2020 refurbished somewhere.

The Pros are due for a refresh at some point, but unknown when.

Sucks, Apple basically gateways the 120hz with the Pros and it sucks but what can you do.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Duckman2008 posted:

iPad 11” pro is a good bet, if you only need 128GB it retails for $1000 new.
£899 is sadly way more than I can justify right now, since my iPhone XS was also barely functional this past while so I've just ordered a 15 Pro.

Apple estimate £129 to replace the battery on this 10.5" Pro which might fix whatever the problem is, though I see a refurbished 3rd Gen 128 GB 11" Pro for £639 with Apple. Still more than I'd want to pay but I may have to look into it! Once I can get a battery diagnostic done on this 10.5" (turned Share Analytics with Apple back on and waiting for it to run so I can see it myself) I'll see what it claims the battery health is like and then maybe take it in for a replacement.

Or I could live the sad life of rhythm games on a 60hz screen iPad.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Does the UK restrict education pricing still? That will save you a few bucks

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah seems like this battery is pretty shot!
code:
Battery 0 health info:
{
    "Battery Service Flags" = 35127299;
    "Battery Service State" = 5;
    "Maximum Capacity Percent" = 77;
    calibration0 = "";
}

hatty posted:

Does the UK restrict education pricing still? That will save you a few bucks
Pretty sure they require proof that you’re currently in education.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

My grandpa died (RIP to a real one) and I got his iPad. I've pretty much left it alone since my aunt has been trying to get all of his pictures, keep access to his email, and generally TCOB. The other day she told me that she finally got a "legacy" Apple ID account for him now, which seems to be a new ID and password to log into the accounts of someone who has died. So I've got the go ahead to delete, make changes, factory reset, whatever.

Now, though, the iPad won't accept his old Apple ID and password. It seems like that's dead now. I need to sign in to deactivate "find my device" and do a factory reset, and it rejects the old password for the old apple ID, and I can't enter the legacy ID stuff because it's a different log in, and there's no option to switch. My aunt tried to do it remotely (she has his laptop) but when she logs in with this new legacy ID info, it doesn't give her the option to open "find my device" which is what we read about doing to solve this problem.

Is there an obvious and easy solution to this? I'm willing to take it to the Apple store and ask them to sort it out if it seems like that's viable.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Biodome posted:

I'm looking at the Genki shadowcast and I can only find the adapter that is a male HDMI and female USB-C, do you have a link to the one that would work with the iPad?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TraderStav posted:

I'm looking at the Genki shadowcast and I can only find the adapter that is a male HDMI and female USB-C, do you have a link to the one that would work with the iPad?

Use a male-male usb-c cable to connect it to an iPad.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Use a male-male usb-c cable to connect it to an iPad.

So this would not work to use the iPad as an external monitor for a Switch, SteamDeck, or other device that doesn't have a female HDMI?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

TraderStav posted:

So this would not work to use the iPad as an external monitor for a Switch, SteamDeck, or other device that doesn't have a female HDMI?

No, that’s why these options rely on an HDMI capture card in the middle. It’s a janky solution but do what you need I guess.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dicty Bojangles posted:

No, that’s why these options rely on an HDMI capture card in the middle. It’s a janky solution but do what you need I guess.

Sorry, I feel like I should be getting all of this, but I'm not. I thought the Genki and Orion solutions were two options that addressed the same thing, but they're not?

For Orion, they recommend this card: https://www.amazon.com/Capture-1080...xoptics-20&th=1

That's pretty simple to me, plug USB-C into iPad, plug HDMI cable into other end. The other end of that source could be a USB-C -> HDMI adapater (that isn't a capture card) for a Switch/SD/Macbook, etc but otherwise could just plug directly into a Dock or PC that has a female HDMI.

Does the Genki one just work similarly, just in reverse? The HDMI plugs into the source and then Male to Male USB-C to the iPad?

Sorry to be so pedantic, I'm usually better about groking these solutions but I'm struggling on this one.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Sorry, I feel like I should be getting all of this, but I'm not. I thought the Genki and Orion solutions were two options that addressed the same thing, but they're not?

For Orion, they recommend this card: https://www.amazon.com/Capture-1080...xoptics-20&th=1

That's pretty simple to me, plug USB-C into iPad, plug HDMI cable into other end. The other end of that source could be a USB-C -> HDMI adapater (that isn't a capture card) for a Switch/SD/Macbook, etc but otherwise could just plug directly into a Dock or PC that has a female HDMI.

Does the Genki one just work similarly, just in reverse? The HDMI plugs into the source and then Male to Male USB-C to the iPad?

Sorry to be so pedantic, I'm usually better about groking these solutions but I'm struggling on this one.

I misunderstood your post. Yes, if your source doesn’t have HDMI out, then possibly a USB-C to HDMI adapter plugged into the HDMI to USB-C capture card might work. Latency might be a significant barrier with the more links you add to your chain of dongles, though. At that point it seems a lot easier (and possibly cheaper) to just buy a small LCD screen, instead. Or a large screen with PIP built in, then you can just plug all your devices into one screen.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TraderStav posted:

The purpose of Genki and Orion is to make an iPad a second screen for another HDMI device, so you run a special kind of capture card (that makes itself seen as UVC webcam to the computer or tablet) that grabs the HDMI feed and sends it to the device, where the app just shows the video feed full screen.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks for all the background, I understand how it works now. Hopefully, one last question: If attached to a Macbook or something similar, can it operate the iPad as a SECOND monitor, or only duplicate the first? The last post has me believing it can only duplicate but perhaps it can do some trickery to mimic being an extra monitor and then 'capture' that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for all the background, I understand how it works now. Hopefully, one last question: If attached to a Macbook or something similar, can it operate the iPad as a SECOND monitor, or only duplicate the first? The last post has me believing it can only duplicate but perhaps it can do some trickery to mimic being an extra monitor and then 'capture' that.

Macbook can send video feeds to an ipad without all of this using sidecar
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210380

The usb grabber path is if you want to connect non-apple computers or consoles.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

That just depends on how your source is handling it - hooked to your Macbook through whatever frankenstein chain works, your iPad is just showing what’s being piped to it, be it mirroring or second screen, whatever.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Macbook can send video feeds to an ipad without all of this using sidecar
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210380

The usb grabber path is if you want to connect non-apple computers or consoles.

Yup! I need to check that out with a hardwire connection as over the network it seems my corporate screen timeout causes it to die after a few minutes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is there any way to claw back a little bit of disk space from the OS and System? iOS 17 seems to take up a lot more space than before and a 32GB iPad 8 is feeling really low on space.

Factory reset and start clean?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Restore through iTunes since it downloads the images to the pc and transfers them over. Unsure if it will actually shrink the space used however.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
There was an Amazon deal ~two weeks back where brand new, sealed in box, 2021 11” M1 iPads Pro with cellular were going for like 35-52% off retail and I grabbed a 2TB model for $999 and it rules.

Except that I think it was new-old-stock that sat for a bit, because when I opened the packaging it needed to charge the battery for like 10 minutes before starting up.

Now that I’ve been using it more or less daily for the past two weeks, I’m noticing that the battery life is much lower than I was expecting, I’m talking like ~5-8 hours with audio or video playback/background playback and regular, but by no means especially taxing, usage. I’m wondering if maybe one of my music production apps is silently eating up the battery life in the background, but my growing suspicion is that maybe the battery got messed up in retail storage, and that maybe that’s why this batch of iPads was being sold off so inexpensively (I missed the woot.com sale from august where they had 12.9” models and was so pissed).

Is there any way to check battery health on this? Like somebody recently mentioned, iPadOS doesn’t appear to have the same visible battery health features that iOS has on iPhone. If I make an appointment with the Apple Store, will they be able to help me out? I don’t mind shelling out for a battery service given how much I saved. I have tasted the glory of a big storage iPad and I can’t go back to <256gb (also I want to use this thing for lumafusion/davinci).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ok Comboomer posted:

There was an Amazon deal ~two weeks back where brand new, sealed in box, 2021 11” M1 iPads Pro with cellular were going for like 35-52% off retail and I grabbed a 2TB model for $999 and it rules.

Except that I think it was new-old-stock that sat for a bit, because when I opened the packaging it needed to charge the battery for like 10 minutes before starting up.

Now that I’ve been using it more or less daily for the past two weeks, I’m noticing that the battery life is much lower than I was expecting, I’m talking like ~5-8 hours with audio or video playback/background playback and regular, but by no means especially taxing, usage. I’m wondering if maybe one of my music production apps is silently eating up the battery life in the background, but my growing suspicion is that maybe the battery got messed up in retail storage, and that maybe that’s why this batch of iPads was being sold off so inexpensively (I missed the woot.com sale from august where they had 12.9” models and was so pissed).

Is there any way to check battery health on this? Like somebody recently mentioned, iPadOS doesn’t appear to have the same visible battery health features that iOS has on iPhone. If I make an appointment with the Apple Store, will they be able to help me out? I don’t mind shelling out for a battery service given how much I saved. I have tasted the glory of a big storage iPad and I can’t go back to <256gb (also I want to use this thing for lumafusion/davinci).

The MacOS application Coconut Battery can check iPad battery health, give that a shot.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I feel that high storage love for the iPad. My 2017 iPad Pro with 512gb seemed monstrous back in the day, but alas, I’m at 15gb remaining. Might be time to upgrade this ole workhorse

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

batterys crushed under the weight of all that storage :(

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

Is there any way to claw back a little bit of disk space from the OS and System? iOS 17 seems to take up a lot more space than before and a 32GB iPad 8 is feeling really low on space.

Factory reset and start clean?

Doing a restore through iTunes/Finder and then restoring a backup gets rid of all the unnecessary "buildup" without having to start fresh.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

7 hours is Probably what I get with my 12.9 iPad Pro, seems to go through battery faster than what I expected but I figured that screen is a pretty big drain on the battery

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DangerZoneDelux posted:

7 hours is Probably what I get with my 12.9 iPad Pro, seems to go through battery faster than what I expected but I figured that screen is a pretty big drain on the battery

It also really depends upon the content, even more so than usual with iDevices, since the variable refresh rate screen can refresh way less if you're not playing games or something.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there any way to figure out who owns an activation locked iPad?

My friend's wife is a director at a local nonprofit and someone left an iPad behind two years ago. She has done everything possible to try and figure out who owns it. I reset it, but it's activation locked, and of course, for security, we can only see the first letter of the email and the domain. I would sell it for parts but I want to make sure I've exhausted all other avenues first.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is there any way to figure out who owns an activation locked iPad?

My friend's wife is a director at a local nonprofit and someone left an iPad behind two years ago. She has done everything possible to try and figure out who owns it. I reset it, but it's activation locked, and of course, for security, we can only see the first letter of the email and the domain. I would sell it for parts but I want to make sure I've exhausted all other avenues first.

To my knowledge no.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You’re usually able to activate Siri and ask “Who owns this device?” but if you’ve already wiped it I don’t think you can do that anymore.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FCKGW posted:

You’re usually able to activate Siri and ask “Who owns this device?” but if you’ve already wiped it I don’t think you can do that anymore.
Yeah I was dumb enough to wipe it before figuring this out. And now I know.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Scored a free iPad pro 12.9 2nd gen 512GB. However, the case back has some small dings and the battery lasts like 40min maybe. Should I pay $100 to have the battery replaced by a shop by me? They said they can try hammering out some of the dings when they have the battery out.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Scored a free iPad pro 12.9 2nd gen 512GB. However, the case back has some small dings and the battery lasts like 40min maybe. Should I pay $100 to have the battery replaced by a shop by me? They said they can try hammering out some of the dings when they have the battery out.

I think a $100 Pro 12.9 is better than a free Pro 12.9 that can only be off the charger for 40 min, personally.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that sounds a solid deal.

E: presumably their parts and labor are good. Some are shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shaocaholica posted:

can you go to the fruit stand? A “battery replacement” at Apple (ie a replacement with a factory-fresh refurb unit with Apple warranty) is like $129 last I checked. No need to hammer anything.